Chapter Twenty-Three

Stargazer

  Four knocks on the door meant Rick had come home after a bountiful hunt, and his hands were too full to open the door by himself. Two knocks on the door indicated urgency – usually meaning Rick had rushed back to the cottage, for a Guard was patrolling around the borders of the Forbidden Woods.

  But that one day, when sixteen-year-old Andrea was preparing dinner with Lucas, she was surprised by three knocks on the cottage door.

  “Three knocks,” Lucas pointed out, his hands frozen in mid-air like Andrea’s. “Only Royal Guards knock three times. What – “

  “Sshh.” After resting the pot of stew on the table, Andrea wiped her hands on the apron around her waist. “Stay here and make sure what should not appear in normal households are hidden well.”

 

  The Guard standing in front of the cottage door wore his red-and-gold uniform proud, his chin out and strong jawline intimidating. His eyes, with a subtle scar on the left one, raked over Andrea once before he cleared his throat.

  “Ms. Archer?”

  She immediately tensed up. “I believe that is me.”

  “Mr. Archer’s – “

  “Daughter.”

  The Guard frowned. “His only relative?”

  She returned his frown. “Forgive me, but I do not understand why the sudden questioning – “

  “I have come to deliver some unpleasant news, milady.” As if he had felt the blood in her veins turn cold, Lucas approached the two, his warm chest touching Andrea’s back.

  “My father is not home – “

  She swore she saw pity shine in his eyes. “This morning, a thief in the village was fleeing; fortunately, Mr. Archer aided us in seizing him. However, in the fight with the struggling thief who had a knife in his possession, Mr. Archer had a heart attack due to the immense violence and the fact that he was no longer of young age, resulting to higher risk of having a heart attack. We send you gratitude for your father’s deed, and please accept our condolences.”

  “C-condolences?” Andrea’s hands were shaking. “I’m sorry, but I do not – “

  “As a former hunter, Mr. Archer is not allowed to have a funeral after passing away.”

  “No – “

  “We give you our most sincere condolences, Ms. Archer. Along with our sorrow for your lost.”

  Without another word, the Guard left, not even glancing back once, and not witnessing Andrea fall to her knees.

**

  “This is impossible,” Andrea whispered, snapping back from the flashback. “You’re supposed to be – “

  “Dead? Of a heart attack that occurred all-so-suddenly?” Kang Dae smirked. “Your dear uncle never died, little princess.”

  “But – “

  “The Guard lied. Under my orders.”

  Andrea wanted to hear the truth from Rick, but it was only then did she get a good look at him, and her breath hitched.

  He was pale. Thin. Gaunt. His eyes were rimmed with red, and he looked so… so sick, with dried blood splattered all over the shreds of what must’ve been a shirt before, clinging to his upper body.

  What had Kang Dae done to him?

  “A few months ago, I detected usage of magic on my palace grounds. That was when I found him,” Kang Dae pointed at Rick, whose eyes were never straying from Andrea’s, “compelling one of my guards to forget seeing him. When I caught him, I should’ve slit his throat for even stepping foot into my palace, but somehow, I just did not feel like doing so. And thank goodness I did not kill him, for when I found out who he really is, do you know how thrilled I was? Rick Han, the brother of the late Queen Han, your mother? The brother who has not only Stargazer blood, but also werewolf blood running in his veins? Oh, it was such a terribly pleasant surprise.”

  “I thought you hated Stargazers.”

  With one glare from Kang Dae, Andrea felt the pressing feeling once again, but this time it felt like thousands of tips of knives were pressing onto her back. “Do not interrupt me, little girl. And yes, I do hate your kind. But as much as I hate you to your bones, you also make me stronger. Do you know what I enjoy drinking every day, in the morning, noon, and night?”

  “I’m sure… it’s not… wine…”

  “No, it isn’t.” He smiled. “I drink blood.”

  Andrea was so shocked she couldn’t even gasp.

  “I drink blood of those who betray me, of those who have magic in their bodies, of Stargazers. Drinking their blood, letting it run inside my body, gives me their powers, too. It is how I grow stronger in aspects my Dark Book cannot help. And I fancy it so much I do not assume I can, and will, ever, stop.”

  Bile rose in as he said the last two words slowly, as if enjoying the words on his tongue, and her whole body was shaking. “Hence, when you and your foolish followers die today, I am sure to have a splendid, delicious dinner tonight – “

  “YOU MONSTER!”

  Like a sudden explosion, a strong wave of energy pulsed out of Andrea as she yelled the last word, so strong it caused all the glass windows shatter to pieces. And like a click, she suddenly felt light, as if something that had been pressing down onto her had disappeared.

  “The spell,” she heard Kai mutter behind her, followed by a sound of wind rushing past her and with a look behind, gathering into Sehun’s palms. “It’s lifted; we can use our powers now!”

  “This is impossible!” As the sound of Stargazers behind Andrea cheering over regaining the abilities to use their powers erupted, Kang Dae roared in absolute fury. “Guards!”

  In a split second, more black talon-like smoke that seemed to come out of nowhere swirled in and then formed into Royal Guards, but guards with black, hollow eyes, and for a moment those empty eyes frightened Andrea as she and the others stood up. “I will not tolerate any – “ Kang Dae started.

  A long howl cut him off, ringing loud and clear throughout the whole rotunda. Everyone turned their heads, only to see a wolf, then two wolves, then dozens and dozens of wolves in their beastly form swarming in through the windows, snarling and growling.

  And in the front, leading all the wolves, was one that looked somehow… different.

  “L-Luke?” She widened her eyes when she saw the wolf with golden fur instantly turn into a gold-headed boy and run towards her to pull her in an embrace. “What – “

  “We said we would help you, right?" Lucas tightened his arms around her. "I’m sorry we came late; we were tricked.”

  “Tricked?”

  “Long story short: Antony was actually on Kang Dae’s side. He was actually helping him and so I challenged him to a duel and I won and now I’m the alpha. It was the only way I could think of to bring all the pack to aid you, and it looks like I was right. You need our help.”

  “Luke – “

  “GUARDS! KILL THEM ALL!”

  As soon as the words came out of Kang Dae’s mouth, the guards pulled out their swords and started charging at Stargazers. Almost at the same time, a war cry erupted, and the Stargazers fetched out their weapons – or in some cases, their hands – and charged, too.

  A chaotic war erupted, right inside the palace.

  “Help the Stargazers!” Lucas yelled, adding a howl in the end that the other wolves returned back before pouncing off and running towards the battle in front of them.

  “Wait, Lucas!” Because of the loud sounds of metal clattering against each other and screams all around, Andrea had to shout. “You don’t – “

  Lucas turned around, his hand on hers that was on his shoulder. “I know, you need to get to him so you can kill him. I’ll help you get through the guards.”

  “You don’t have to do this, Luke, you’ll get hurt – “

  “Hey, hey, since when did you start caring if I got hurt?” He teased. “I promised you I would help you, because I love you, Andrea. And I don’t care if the one you love isn’t me; I just don’t want you to get hurt, understand?” With a smile, he kissed her forehead. “Now come on and stick behind me; I’m going to slam a road out for you to that bastard Byun Kang Dae.”

**

  Sehun loved combat, fighting, and slaughtering. To be more specific, he liked slaughtering anything that wasn’t alive, for instance, ugly-looking dummies made out of hay that Tao made. He loved the way his speed was superior to all the Guards he was fighting and stopping from taking his life.

  It was hard, actually; since his goal was to hurt them bad enough that they couldn’t fight anymore when theirs was to kill every Stargazer in sight.

  “Sehun! Behind you!”

  He whirled around just in time to block a strike from another guard with his blade, slipped his left foot behind the big guy’s and tripped him, making him fall backwards. As soon as the guard fell and his sword clattered to the ground, Sehun snatched it and slammed the hilt into his shoulder. “Sorry,” he mumbled, as the guard howled in pain and writhed on the floor.

  Sehun turned. “Thanks, Lilie.”

  One moment he was standing alone; another, a girl appeared out of thin air beside him with a smirk on her face, her black hair messed up from the fighting. “You couldn’t see me.”

  “But I could recognize your voice.” Sehun rolled his eyes. “I don’t say ‘thanks’ to many people, you know.”

  “Is that the way to talk to someone who just saved your life?”

  “It’s mine. Feel honored.”

  With a quick reflex, Lilie disarmed another guard in less than five seconds. “I feel so terribly honored; Oh Sehun just said ‘thanks’ to me twice!”

  Narrowing his eyes, Sehun conjured up a small ball of wind and threw it at another guard. “This isn’t the time for being witty, Lilie. Have you seen Owl? I can’t – “

  “I can’t find her, either. It’s all chaotic right now and – wait, what is that?”

  Sehun followed her gaze, and found himself looking at nothing but a ball of –

  “Light? Is that… light?” Sehun squinted, but the harder he looked at the thing that looked like a huge ball of light, the more his eyes hurt. He also realized that no guards were going near it because the light seemed to hurt them, too.

  “It’s some kind of light protection shield – “

  “I don’t recall knowing anyone who has the ability to control light – “ Before Sehun finished his own sentence, he took off and rushed foward. It can’t be… he thought. It can’t be… his steps slowed down, for when he got close enough to the enormous globe of shining white light as pure as the moonlight, he saw the person inside.

  Baekhyun?!

  Baekhyun wasn’t alone in there. Beside him, on the floor, were six unconscious Guards, Rick who was slumped on the floor, Hazel that was bleeding hard in her shoulder, and Owl who was limp in Baekhyun’s arms.

  “Baekhyun!” Sehun screamed his name the same time Kai, who had appeared too, did, and obviously he heard them, because Baekhyun turned to look at the two boys, his right hand still forward and white light exploding from within his palms.

  “Kai! Sehun!” In a flash, the light vanished as Baekhyun took back his hand with a gasp. His hair was messy and his clothes untidy, but the look in his eyes told Sehun that he wasn’t looking at a spoiled, whiny child anymore. He was instead looking at a man who had finally understood everything and was determined. “I – “ Baekhyun looked down to Owl in his hands, and when he spoke again, his voice was tinged with worry and panic. “I couldn’t get to her quick enough; a Guard hit her hard in the head, and her breathing is shallow – “

  “Thank you for protecting her.” Sehun knelt by his side, gathering Owl into his arms, his heart squeezing when seeing how pale her face was. “And the others, Baekhyun – “

  “I’m sorry for not knowing.” Baekhyun stared straight into Sehun’s eyes, as Kai rushed to check on Hazel and Rick. “The truth of my uncle, the ugliness of his true self. If I had known, none of this would have happened – “

  “Baekhyun – “

  “I triggered out my ‘power,’” he said with a faint smile. “When I wanted to protect the three Stargazers from being hurt again. That means… that means I’m also one of you, doesn’t it?”

  After sharing a look with Kai who had heard Baekhyun's words, Sehun put his hand on Baekhyun’s left shoulder as Kai put his on Baekhyun's right. “You’ve always been one of us, Baekhyun; you’re my brother. Our brother. And right now, instead of watching you bawl your eyes out and listen to you regret being stupid, you need to go find Andrea – “

  “Andrea!” Baekhyun exclaimed. “I couldn’t find her and – have you seen her? Where is she?”

  “Baek – “

  As if Sehun and Kai had suddenly turned into nothing but air to Baekhyun, Baekhyun shot up to his feet and ran off.

**

  It was the first time Andrea saw Lucas in his wolf form, not to say the first time see him fight.

  And damn, for a boy who loved to play around with girls, he did more than a great job as a wolf.

  He sent Guards flying with just a hit from his paw, and not before long, he and Andrea approached where Kang Dae was standing, behind ten Guards. With a growl, Lucas attempted to swap away them too, but he wasn’t careful enough to see on slide under his big wolf body and, to Andrea’s horror, stab a sword right into his stomach.

  Lucas-the-wolf howled, and then fell to the floor with a loud thump, in front of a wide-eyed, horror-struck Andrea. She removed her hands that were covering .

  “LUCAS – “

  “Andrea.”

  With a scream, Andrea fell to the floor, an excruciating pain hundreds of times worse than before exploding in her body. She tried to get up, but she could only manage to lift her head up, and see a pair of black leather boots walk slowly towards her.

  “So. This is the reason you could break free, I see? You have another Name?” Kang Dae’s hair-rising voice and sinister chuckle entered her ears. She looked to her left, where a half- and unconscious Lucas was lying with red blood streaming out from under him, and to her left, where the guards were nowhere to be seen around them anymore –

  And realized that somehow, Kang Dae had conjured up a wall around him and her, black but transparent, like a woman’s black lace dress. She could still see Stargazers fighting Guards that seemed to keep appearing out of nowhere, but as if she were hidden behind a curtain, the voices were dimmed and images interrupted.

  “I must thank your little wolf friend,” Kang Dae said, “for it was from his mouth that I heard your other Name. I must say; your uncle was very clever to give you another one. To prevent me from having control over you, from killing you.”

  “Yeah, well, sorry to know that you’re the only stupid one.”

  In a quick movement, Kang Dae bent down to grab Andrea by her neck and lifted her up, her feet dangling in the air.

  “You’re just like your mother." He snarled. "Even when she was burning in the flames I kept her in, she was still trying to make witty remarks. Pity, though, since she still died.”

  Anger rose in Andrea, but she could only tremble, for it was getting harder and harder for her to breathe. And resulting from having a hard time breathing, she didn’t have the strength to send out any energy waves.

  “I will remember you when you die, little princess. When I away your powers and marvel at how powerful I am - "

  No... I can't die now...

  " - how you failed at killing me – “

  Suddenly, a voice Andrea thought she might never hear again rang out. “Let her go!”

**

  Baekhyun found her almost immediately, when he let himself follow the way his heart was pulling at.

  But Andrea was inside something like the ball of light he had just made, only this was black. He could see her inside, by his uncle’s knees, and his uncle was looking down at her with nothing but murder and triumph in his eyes.

  “An – “ He suddenly remembered that he couldn’t say her name, and although he didn’t know why, he knew it was important to Andrea so he obliged. “Let me in!” He changed to shouting. He pounded on the black wall, but as it looked as fragile as a waterfall, is was as hard as a rock. “Let me in – “

  He saw Kang Dae grab Andrea by her neck, and for Baekhyun, it was enough.

  “ARGHHH!” With all his might, he slammed his body into the black wall with Andrea being the only thing in his mind, and miraculously, he got in.

  He was dazed at first, but then heard his uncle’s words. “… when you die…”

  In a swift move his father once taught him, Baekhyun picked up a dagger from the floor by his feet, and held it up.

  “Let her go!”


 

[A/N] So let me just go drown myself in feels right now.

P.S. I KNOW I KNOW KAI'S SCENES ARE SO LITTLE RIGHT I - I apologize omg. I just can't find proper places to fit him in and... BUT I WILL TRY MY BEST TO GIVE HIM MORE SCENES I SWEAR. I AM SORRY FOR THOSE WHO ARE DISAPPONITED :(((