Three

Icarus

A week, then another, passes by in a blur. Soon enough, it’s October. In that time, Krystal and Jongin slowly fall back into their usual routine – their usual relationship. The ever careful line constantly separating the two of them is firmly drawn once again, and the unspoken rules are back too.

-----

“Can you believe it?” Sulli asks, stretching from her bed. Her hair is mussed from sleep and Krystal can barely hold back her laughter at the sight of a good chunk sticking straight up. “This is the first weekend where we’re not buried under our homework.”

Victoria nods from her own bed, already dressed and put together. She’s sprawled on her stomach, reading a paperback and snacking on some crackers. “It’s a miracle,” she sighs dramatically, sounding very much like some lovelorn soap actress.

“Are you reading one of those bad romance novels again?” Sulli asks, raising an eyebrow and exchanging a glance with Krystal.

Victoria simply raises her chin. “It’s my weekend and I’m going to enjoy it however I want.”

“It’s already ten thirty,” Krystal says with a groan after checking her phone. “All the good breakfast food will be gone by the time we finally drag ourselves down there.”

“Can’t you text Chen or Jongin and ask one of them to save some for us?” asks Sulli hopefully.

“They’re probably already done eating. And besides, they’re total pigs when it comes to breakfast food on the weekends.”

Since nearly everyone (the sane people, anyway) slept in for as long as possible, Chen and Jongin and the others usually got up at around eight on the weekends for the sole purpose of eating all the bacon they wanted. Once, Krystal did ask Chen to save her some, only to go down to the dining hall to find a crumb-filled plate and a guilty but satisfied expression on his face. Jongin had saved her one strip of bacon, and even then he demanded that she give him at least half.

“It’s okay, I don’t really mind being left with just eggs,” Sulli says halfheartedly.

Now Victoria looks up from her novel, her eyes twinkling. “Tell me,” she replies slowly, “why would you have to be left with just eggs when there’s a café down the street that includes a breakfast buffet?”

Sulli lights up. “Should we go?”

“Well, why not?” Victoria turns back to her book and flips a page. “Just hurry and get ready, please? And you too, Krystal. I’ve been starving for the past half hour.”

Krystal nods, just as her phone suddenly vibrates with an incoming call from Jongin. Her brow furrows but she picks up after a moment of hesitation. “Hello?”

“So,” he begins without preamble, “I accidentally slept in today.”

 Her jaw nearly drops. “You slept in? What, had an argument with your beloved bacon?”

“I got jealous because she was making eyes at the scrambled eggs.”

Krystal raises her eyebrows, even though he can’t see her. “So you’re regretting it now, and you want me to save you some food?”

“You know, sometimes I think you’re a mind reader,” he replies, and Krystal can practically feel a winning grin spread on his face.

“I would, but we’re going out to eat.”

“Even better!” exclaims Jongin. “Krystal, I have no one else to count on – Chen and Chanyeol and the others all went to breakfast without me. You're the only person I have left."

“Oh, really?” she asks skeptically.

“And have I told you how pretty your hair looks?”

Krystal can’t help but laugh. “You’re shameless, Jongin.”

“Is that a yes?” A pause. “But really – “

“I’ll consider it,” she interrupts, and then hangs up.

-----

“Trying to make a fashion statement?” Jongin asks, raising his eyebrows. He’s leaning against the doorway of his dormitory room. There’s a tiny little smirk on his face, but his lips are pressed tightly together and Krystal can tell that he’s mere seconds away from bursting into laughter.

She glances down at her coffee-splattered attire and sighs. “I had a little accident, okay?”

“I like it,” he says, tapping his chin thoughtfully. “Very pop art.”

“Ha ha, you’re hilarious.” Krystal holds up the plastic bag containing her takeout box. “One more word about my clothing and you aren’t going to get your food.”

Jongin immediately mimes zipping his lips. “You made sure to get bacon, right?” he asks, eyes glowing as they zero in on the bag. He even sounds slightly breathless.

Oh, for heavens sake, Krystal thinks, rolling her eyes. “I got as much bacon as I could when the workers’ backs were turned.”

“You’re the best,” he says with a grin, reaching for the food eagerly.

“Wait.” Krystal holds it out of reach. “What were you saying before about my clothes?”

“They look perfect,” he automatically replies, shooting her an exasperated look.

“And?”

“I owe you one.”

“All right,” she says smugly, handing the bag to him.

It’s moments like these that make Krystal think they can just be friends. Her stomach isn’t turning over, her knees aren’t the slightest bit weak, and she can meet his eyes.

It’s only an illusion, and she knows that, but Krystal allows herself to give him a genuine smile anyway.

-----

Krystal is sitting in her chemistry classroom one afternoon, knee-deep in a lab she missed, when a motion along the window catches her eye. She glances over and lights up when she sees Sulli walking along the hallway adjacent to the science rooms, only to feel her eyes widen as Jongin comes into view as well.

The two of them are absorbed in conversation. Sulli’s short dark hair bounces with every step she takes, and Jongin has a rare expression of sincerity on his face. Just before they disappear from view, Sulli gives him a cheerful smile and Jongin laughs in return.

Then they’re gone and Krystal turns back to her chemistry textbook, unsure what to think.

-----

“All right!” Mr. Lee says, stepping away from the whiteboard behind him and sitting down at his desk. “Now that we’re done discussing the Russo-Japanese war, I’d like to talk about the project that I spoke about last class.”

Krystal kicks the seat in front of her lightly but firmly, and holds back a giggle as Chen’s head shoots up. He rubs the sleep from his eyes groggily before turning around. Thanks, he mouths, holding up two fingers in a small salute.

“It’s a simple project that you and a partner will be working on for the next two weeks,” continues Mr. Lee. He waves a pile of paper in the air. “I have a list of some notable events in history in the eighteenth century right here. Your job is to pick one and give a fifteen minute presentation on it.”

Hands immediately fly up. He calls on someone near the front.

“Are you choosing our partners?”

Mr. Lee glances around the room thoughtfully for a moment. Then he claps his hands twice. “Let’s make this simple. You’ll be working with the person directly next to you in the next row over. Any questions?”

And that’s how she meets Choi Minho.