i.

Hunting Graves

 

 
chapter one
interns & Jongin
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The thing about having Oh Sehun—one of the most snarkiest, sassiest teenagers to ever become a doctor to be under Dr. Huang's ever so watchful eyes—is that Sehun seems to think it's okay to question every motion Tao finds his hands doing in the midst of, well, anything. 
 
 
And Dr. Huang hates being questioned for everything he does, because being honest he had spent at least twelve years scraping cells off of plants and mutated organs from dead people as he worked under prissy tired es without even being paid, and listening to Sehun ask him every second day if what he's doing is ethical, Tao is about sure the next time someone breathes, he's going to do something completely unethical, like maybe stab Sehun's heart, or eye, watching said teen cry in agony until everyone is standing in front of Sehun's grave. 
 
 
"I don't think telling him to off will get you anywhere," Minseok says in this good-natured way, eyebrows slanted as he tries to figure out why Zitao wants Sehun bleeding on the sidewalk so much. Not that the answer will ever present itself, because Sehun is decent around everyone but Zitao. 
 
 
Zitao clicks his tongue and shoves the nearest clipboard he can find under his arm before giving Minseok a scrutinizing stare. "You're a horrible listener," rounding another painted white corner he stops, eyeing a nurse freaking out about a patient walking when they were told Do Not Walk before continuing on his miserable trail that he calls life, "and a horrible nurse." 
 
 
Minseok's hopeful eyes and pretty smile flatter then into a scowl, offended glares shot at Dr. Huang's back as they make their way into a patients room. He gives Minseok and the patient 10 seconds to inhale all his glory before coughing and handing the clipboard to Minseok's awaiting hands. 
 
 
"Lung cancer, smoked for twenty years—" 
 
 
"Well," Tao says eyeing the patient down like a fresh piece of meat, "that's nice—and predictable—and where's my stupid intern?
 
 
"Right here doc" Sehun drawls from the entrance as he walks in, hands in his pockets, bubblegum in his mouth as he his head to the side, uniform ruffled and Zitao wrinkles his nose at the horrible state Sehun had presented himself to him in. 
 
 
"You look like a piece of " Dr. Huang says fake-sweetly before waving his hand in the general direction of Mr. Kim that had not so smartly smoked since he was sixteen, and Zitao is starting to think the whole human race is dumb because obviously smoking does this to you, so why does he still get handfuls of situations like this everyday?
 
 
"I just had with that other doctor, Luhan or whatever," Sehun supplies not-so-helpfully and Zitao makes a mental note to fire Luhan later in life because, no, Luhan is not a doctor, he's a nurse, and he's about twenty-five and Sehun is a smattering nineteen. 
 
 
"Great. Gross. I thought he liked Jongin, but I always knew he was an easy ," the patient makes a face to this and Minseok promptly loses his footing and stumbles forward a bit before collecting himself and glaring at Sehun. 
 
 
"Says he's going to die." Minseok says towards Dr. Huang then to Sehun (with hatred, of course), "what should we do?" 
 
 
"Well if he's dying there's nothing we can do." Sehun says with a nonchalant shrug of his shoulders and Zitao turns on his heel. 
 
 
The patients face kind of pales, "wait—that's all? Aren't you going to do anything for me?" 
 
 
"There's a smoking section downstairs behind the hospital, the surgery wing, don't say I never did anything for you." Before leaving, Sehun and Minseok hot on his trail as they do their rounds on people that have no hopes of living but still bother to take up breathing space in the hospital. 
 
 
At the end of the day, Zitao throws his lab coat off (which is unlawfully hideous) and into his locker, tapping an Ok back to Kris, before locking his locker and making his way to the top of the hospital, onto the roof. 
 
 
"Never understood why someone like you, who likes killing, works to save people's lives everyday." Jongdae, a man with about as much wit as the gum on Sehun's hideous pre-school looking runners, says with a smug look and probably actually curious eyes. Zitao scoffs, pushing a bit of overgrown hair behind his right ear. 
 
 
"Just to watch them die" Zitao says curtly, flicking out his cellphone and looking down at the picture Kris had sent him. "Aw man, is he ever ugly." 
 
 
"Mr. Anderson, age 43, nationality is Irish and he's born—" 
 
 
"That's nice, but I don't care. Give me his address, hotel number, cellphone number and then call it a night. Or maybe call Baekhyun and tell him to pay me more then, call it a night." 
 
 
"Right." Jongdae says blinking, holding out a small pink piece of paper towards Zitao before shoving his hands back into his jacket. Not saying another word Zitao leaves, just like that, descending the mass amount of stairs before finding himself calling over the nearest taxi so he can go to wherever he wants, before shooting the taxi driver straight through the forehead. Leaving evidence is a bad thing, so taxi drivers are a bad thing. 
 
 
"Go to this hotel," Tao says handing the pink paper to the driver, before flicking out his cellphone and calling up Minseok to tell him to fire Luhan, or kill him, before he has to call Mr. Anderson and give him a fair twenty minute warning before he mutates his liver and possibly heart. 
 
 
"I don't want to talk to you," Minseok groans, sounding as if he just woke up. 
 
 
"Make sure to fire Luhan," Zitao snaps back without even a hello, he guesses ten years of working with Minseok and his bad-habits and poor fashion choices, manners kind of just disperse like Zitao's amount of actually caring. "Or kill him, preferably kill him. He slept with a demons spawn." 
 
 
"You mean Sehun?"
 
 
"Demon. Spawn." 
 
 
"He's an important member on our team—" Minseok pauses, before adding, "boss told me to tell you no killing taxi drivers." 
 
 
Zitao glances over to the taxi driver sitting innocently in his seat, not even bothered by Zitao's bad attitude and sour remarks. 
 
 
"Tell him I don't care," he hums, looking at himself in the mirror, "kill Luhan." 
 
 
"You know Kai wouldn't like that very much," Minseok says idly, "and I don't like angering Kai very much. Plus, tell Kris you don't care yourself." 
 
 
Zitao grunts. Hangs up the phone, snatches his pink paper back and calls Mr. Anderson. 
 
 
"Hello Mr. Anderson?" Zitao sighs into the phone, the taxi driver parking alongside the curb. He pauses, reaching into his bag (that is manly, of course it is), the gun, before poking at the silver knife. "Yes, this is Tao, and I'm in front of your hotel and I'm going to kill you." 
 
 
The taxi driver's face contorts into fear, whirling around to meet Tao's glowering happy look just as Tao manages to lodge the knife straight into the taxi drivers forehead. Hanging up the phone, he pulls the knife out, places it in a cotton face cloth  before tucking it back into his bag and exiting the taxi. 
 
 
He doesn't go into the hotel where Mr. Anderson is, because that's too obvious, instead he chooses to wait until a blaring number of cops are in front of the hotel, Zitao leisurely making his way into the building across the hotel. 
 
 
Sehun, the most annoying intern to ever be in existence is already seated on the roof top, gun set up and awaiting for Tao's very mature commands. "Oh, you're here." Zitao says with a long winded sigh before waving his manicured and painted nails, "just shot him and then we'll leave, because I don't feel like another close call like you put me in last week." 
 
 
"It wasn't that close," Sehun says as he crouches down in front of the gun, looking through the small glass on the side, focusing, before pulling the trigger. "Right through the brain" he says proudly, packing up the gun with swift excellence before they're both on their merry ways. Zitao promptly shuts off his cellphone, a smug gleam in his eyes as he grabs Sehun's cellphone out of his hands. Both of them turning down an alleyway to avoid the police as Sehun places piece by piece of the gun into his large Hello Kitty backpack. 
 
 
"That's my phone" Sehun says monotonously.
 
 
Tao eyes him dubiously, "and you're burning my retinas with your horrible choice of fashion." Before flipping it open and pressing it against his ear. 
 
 
"Kris, yeah, it's me, heading to your place now. Can I kill Sehun yet? No? Why? Okay." Before hanging up and handing it back to Sehun. 
 
 
Sehun like the kind sweet intern he is, wipes his cellphone against his thigh before putting it back into his pocket. 
 
 
"Was that necessary" Tao says with heated eyes.
 
 
Sehun only silently nods.
 
 
 
 
 
 
After a nice long day of working at the hospital and dealing with Sehun's , plus the fair amount of brains he blows up, Tao likes to take a nice long bubble bath before he sinks into the water, ankles hanging off the side as he tells Kris (loudly, and cheerfully,) about his mass amount of plans and how he will kill Sehun, Luhan and oh—Minseok, definitely Minseok. On most occasions Kris ignores him, merely nodding and humming in all the right places because he's known Tao for years, and Tao being Tao never changes. Routine, Tao likes routine. 
 
 
"Look," Kris says swirling around on a large black office chair that's most likely made out of fake leather (well no, definitely made out of fake leather) but Tao doesn't really feel like getting whacked over the head tonight so he seals his lips and up a plucked eyebrow. "Sehun isn't that bad." 
 
 
"You don't have to babysit him and deal with his mistakes," Tao scoffs, ankles crossing as he leans his head back. 
 
 
Kris huffs, "of course not, I'm the leader, dealing with newbies, as my personal assistant, is, may I remind you, your job." 
 
 
"They're all dumb." Tao murmurs miserably, face half sunken in the water as he mercilessly blows away some bubbles, "and crazy." 
 
 
"We kill people Tao." Kris says wryly, spinning back around to type something quickly on his laptop. "I'll switch Sehun under Kai tomorrow and Lay under you instead." 
 
 
Tao gapes, abruptly sitting up straight, glaring with all his power at Kris' hunched shoulders. "I've been complaining about Sehun for like—3 weeks and you couldn't have thought of that sooner?" 
 
 
"Everyone must be trained under you first." 
 
 
He proceeds to sulk for the rest of eternity (which turns out to be until Kris gives up on his front of being a lawyer and decides to kiss soft butterfly kisses up Tao's neck). 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Minseok hates a lot of people. And to be fair, a lot of people hate him too. He has a short temper accompanied by a cute sorry looking face—he's the devil in disguise, Luhan says—and honestly, Minseok doesn't give two s. 
 
 
"So what I was saying nurse is that there's this rash—and it's itchy." 
 
 
Minseok refuses to waste another breathing second absorbing the same air as this erted old man he had been assigned to (just because Jongin is out to get him, he's sure of that) and Minseok really hates Jongin. Jongin is number uno when it comes to the very long list of things that would be better off squashed underneath Minseok's feet, and Jongin takes the throne. 
 
 
"Hey!" The patient says with a low annoyed growl, "are you even listening? What kind of nurse are you, huh?!" 
 
 
Minseok sighs, shaking his head clear of all Jongin-related thoughts. He doesn't want to accidentally murder someone from a hissy fit because Jongin is ruining his used to be perfect life and dammit—that is not okay. 
 
 
"Get your manager or a real nurse you're doing nothing you lazy piece of—"
 
 
"Look" Minseok drops the clipboard onto the patients chest, efficiently shutting said male up, "I can do two things for you, one, I can pump you full of morphine and make sure you never annoy me again, or I can simply get Dr. Huang in here. Take your chances, it's a gamble for your life, old man." 
 
 
The old man blinks at him, eyes bulging and lips smacking against each other as he opens and closes his mouth in a flabbergasted type of way. Minseok adds in a cute tilt of his head accompanied by a dazzling smile. 
 
 
"You—you..." 
 
 
"Oh baoxi I've been looking for you!" Luhan says cheerfully, a stack of papers held in his hands, a small pair of golden coloured glasses falling off the tip of his nose and Minseok promptly loses all feeling from head to toe because ah—Luhan is surely the only thing in this world Minseok likes. "Dr. Huang is looking for you, something about an intern working night shifts with you..." 
 
 
"Intern?" Minseok chokes out, brain resurrecting itself due to the sudden decline of great things that are happening in his life. Interns . Everything . He hates life. Next thing he knows, Kai will be responsible for this too. 
 
 
"Yeah, he's cute and nice, a bit odd, but cute." Luhan chirps.
 
 
"Huh, cute." Minseok echoes back, blinking. 
 
 
"Yeah I think his name is Jongdae—he's Kai's brother I think, I think Kai especially asked Kris for Jongdae to start off with your watchful eyes. How nice of him, right?"
 
 
Minseok pouts, literally stomps one foot on the ground and wishes someone in this room was allowed to be murdered and possibly torn apart limb by limb, except Minseok likes Luhan and the bed ridden guy with an itchy crotch is some millionaire that Dr. Huang wants to strangle himself. Minseok has to think priorities, his life or venting his anger. 
 
 
"Awwww" Luhan grins, large doe eyes becoming slanted and narrowed making him look y, dictionary definition and everything. Minseok stops breathing. "It's okay, he used to be a lowly informant and Dr. Huang didn't kill him. He must be sensible." 
 
 
No, Minseok wants to say, feeling the long invisible strings Kai has over him being tugged roughly. Leaving his bones creaking, mouth dry. 
 
 
With that Luhan leaves Minseok high and dry.
 
 
"Well" he says after a moment of silence, looking over to a tray of needles laying innocently beside the old guy. Priorities, priorities, he thinks before adding priorities and reaching for a needle.  "Morphine it is." 
 
 
He must vent his anger somehow, being so passive aggressive is tiring. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
"Hey I'm Jongdae, Kai said my name is Chen now." 
 
 
Minseok holds out a bloodied hand to signal wait, before he rips a small butter knife out of some random chicks lungs, body already turning cold and Minseok frowns because no amount of killing will make him feel better. His life , why does God hate him so much? No—why does Jongin hate him some much? Minseok always thought taking care of new interns was Zitao's job. Not his. Minseok hates interns, Monday's and Kai the most of all. 
 
 
Chen blinks. "Are you done yet?"
 
 
"Yeah" Minseok says wiping his hands clean of blood onto his slacks, "I'm Xiumin—code name or something—but no one really uses them aside from Kris and Kai." 
 
 
"Oh" Chen says, a slow nod making Minseok blink and observe his new intern. Jongdae isn't a walking totem pole like Kris or Chanyeol, nor is he short, his jaw is sharp and Minseok idly wonders if he could cut off someone's head with such a sharp jaw. In final analysis, Jongdae looks useless. 
 
 
Minseok hates useless people. He frowns. 
 
 
"I have a long list of things I hate," he explains firstly, shoving the knife into his pocket before eyeing his surroundings with a grim expression. "I hate a lot of things but your brother, Kai, takes the cake. So I hate you." 
 
 
"Okay" Jongdae says with a slow nod. "Kai is pretty boring, I know how you feel."
 
 
Minseok waves him off, "oh no you don't understand, Kai's life mission is to ruin my life and take Luhan away from me." 
 
 
"Luhan? Oh. The cute nurse that s everybody." Jongdae drawls lazily.
 
 
"Rule one," Minseok says tucking his shirt into his pants, sweeping his hair back and smearing blood across his forehead. "Try not to talk about Luhan, Luhan is a priority, you see. And killing you doesn't really bother Kris, because all boss cares about is Dr. Huang—and don't get me started on Tao—so if you'd like to live for more then a week I suggest you clean me off and head home and sell information like a good little informant." 
 
 
"You rant a lot," Jongdae points out, literally, with his middle finger. "Kind of annoying." 
 
 
Minseok tilts his head, counts ten sheep in his head, before dolling his head forward. Brown locks tickling his forehead as he pats his pockets in search for the knife he had used not log ago. When he manages to look up, pockets empty, Jongdae is smirking smugly and Minseok just manages to curse his life a thousand times as Jongdae runs a fore-finger along the front of the bloodied knife.
 
 
"Looking for this, boss?" 
 
 
"No" Minseok hisses sarcastically, "I just like to pat my thighs randomly you waste of oxygen." 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Jongdae turns out worse than Minseok was expecting.
 
 
Aside from Jongdae's obvious lack in experience (because said male wants to shoot everything that breathes and that's just not how Minseok does things) Jongdae is crazy. Down right crazy. And Minseok is starting to think Jongdae may be even too crazy for Kris to handle (that thought leaves his concious because that's not even physically possible).
 
 
"You're shorter than I was expecting," Jongdae says whistfully as he looks down at Minseok. "And cuter—aww you look like a middle-schooler."
 
 
"I will kill you—" goes unheard because Jongdae decides that the girl in the pretty pink and orange dress should meet her end. Minseok stomps one foot down and refrains from lashing out because dammit he's sure killing Kai's brother won't end well.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
That night Minseok draws Jongdae face stabbed by needles and Tao's wushu stick thing. In the process he calls Luhan and tactfully lets the other nurse know that No Jongdae isn't cute, and that no he doesn't make any promises about not ending his life—but everyone knows he won't because Minseok needs to Luhan at least once before he dies.
 
 
Which will probably never happen.
 
 
"Okay Baozi," Luhan says with a chipper voice and Minseok can imagine the bright brown eyes of his deer like crush.
 
 
"I'm just saying I hate him" Minseok grumbles miserably as he stabs his pen into the desk underneath him. "He called me short—that, that is not okay."
 
 
Luhan hums, "I'm sure he meant it good-naturedly."
 
 
"I hate Chen." Minseok decides with finality. "And what's with the screaming in the background?"
 
 
There's a pause and the screaming promptly stops before Minseok swears he hears people screaming there's "a ing fire!" Minseok frowns just as Luhan tucks the phone into his shoulder, held against his ear, "oh just burning some rich family with Chanyeol. No biggie."
 
 
There's a distinct tortured cry of, "you ripped off my leg!"
 
 
"Oh" Minseok says blinking. "I'll call you later, should've just said you were busy."
 
 
Luhan makes a loud lip-smacking sound and Minseok flushes, forehead placed against his desk as Luhan sings out, "okay later Baozi!"
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
A/N
someone kill me.
next up is kyungsoo & suho, YEAH
(and this probably will end up way longer than 8 chapters. Js.)