D-Day

The Last Time

A/N: blue is Chen's, black is Kyungsoo's^^


 

 

The first time I fell in love was long ago.

I didn't know how to give my love at all.

 

I remember it very well. Kyungsoo and I were on the way to practice when we heard someone singing in one room. We peeked inside to find the most beautiful girl singing softly along to a piano. She was mesmerizing.

The way her eyes fluttered while she sang.

The way her black hair fell behind her.

The way her lips moved as she mouthed the words.

She was beautiful.

"Wow. She's amazing." I whispered to Jongdae hyung. He nodded silently as we kept watching her. I couldn't help but feel like my heart was floating out of my chest and was being pulled by her voice. She brought me to another place. I wondered vaguely if one day, I could sing with her.

As she finished singing, she turned to us, surprised. Jongdae hyung was the first to come out of shock. "Hi. I'm Kim Jongdae. This is Do Kyungsoo." He greeted. I bowed politely. My eyes met with hers for a second, but that second was all it took to capture me.

 

 

The next time I settled for what felt so close.

But without romance, you're never gonna fall.

After everything I've learned;

Now it's finally my turn.

This is the last time I'll fall... in love.

 

After that first meeting, the three of us were inseparable. She even met the other ten members, and became friends with them, as well; but she was never as close to them as she was to us. We even sang songs together. I especially treasured the times we sang duets. When we sang, it felt like perfect harmony. I hadn't realized it at the time, but by then I had probably already fallen too deep.

There was one time when she had run crying into my arms. Her parents had officially divorced. The papers were signed, sealed, delivered. She blamed herself and her insistence on being a singer, making her parents argue about her future.

She sobbed for hours as I held her quietly, rubbing her shoulders and whispering soothing words. As she clutched onto my stained shirt and cried into my chest, I embraced her scent-- a mixture of watermelon shampoo, antibacterial soap, and salty tears. She smelled like love. She smelled like pain. Throughout my life, she brought me both.

Then and there, I swore that I would protect her. I would make sure that no one would ever hurt her. She was precious to me. It was then when I realized I cared for her as more than just a best friend.

 

 

The first time we walked under that starry sky,

there was a moment when everything was clear.

I didn't need to ask or even wonder why, because each question is answered when you're near.

and I'm wise enough to know when a miracle unfolds, this is the last time i'll fall in love.

 

"Kyungsoo oppa!" She waved to me as she approached. She looked wonderful in a cream lace dress that flowed in the wind. "Where's Jongdae oppa?"

"Hyung couldn't make it." I shrugged. We were supposed to go home together tonight, the three of us, but Jongdae hyung was out sick today. "Shall we?" I gestured towards the street. "We shall." She cheerily replied. We walked beside each other, heading towards her house. It was on the other side of the city from my house, but I didn't mind at all. I enjoyed spending time with her.

"Oppa, don't you think the stars look bright tonight?" She said to me while looking up at the sky, walking with her hands on her back, legs straight, like a little kid. I chuckled. "Pabo, we're in the city. You can't see the stars."

She puffed her cheeks cutely. "I've seen pictures, though. They look so beautiful up there." I watched her face as she gazed up at the dark grey sky with invisible stars. She looked more beautiful than those pictures of bright, glittering nights.

"Someday, you're going to be a star, too. You'll be up there, shining brightly on stage, brighter than any other star in the sky."

"Do you really think so?" She smiled softly, turning to me.

"I know so."

"Then I want my oppas to be there, shining with me."

"I'll help you get there." I said. She leaned onto my shoulder and we walked slowly down the street.

 

 

Now don't hold back, just let me know.

Could i be moving much too fast or way too slow.

'Cause all of my life, I've waited for this day.

To find that once in a lifetime, this is it, I'll never be the same.

 

I shook my hands, trying to get the nerves off. Breathe in, breathe out. This was a big day. Five years since that fateful day that I first saw her.

Now here I was, standing at the altar of a chapel, dressed in a black tuxedo with Kyungsoo standing beside me. I scanned the rows of pews. They were all here-- Kris, Lay, Tao, Kai, Baekhyun, Suho, Chanyeol, Xiumin, Luhan, and Sehun; some of them with wives and children. Chanyeol waved wildly and grinned. Kris gave me a reassuring look. Kai nodded to Kyungsoo.

"Nervous, hyung?" Kyungsoo nudged beside me. "Yeah, a bit." I laughed. "You?" "I'm fine." he laughed nervously. I gave him an incredulous look. "Who am I kidding? God, I'm a wreck."

I chuckled and reached out to touch his hair when he swatted away my hand. "Hyung! Do you have any idea how long it took for me to get my hair like this?"

The chatter suddenly quieted in an instant. The wedding party was walking down the aisle along to the "The Last Time" by Eric Benet on the piano. I watched the men and women walk down the aisle, faces both familiar and unknown. Then came two little girls throwing flower petals from a basket down the aisle. The taller one was Kris hyung's 8-year-old daughter; behind her was Suho hyung's own 5-year-old.

Then she appeared in the wide archway of the ancient church. I inhaled sharply.

She looked amazing.

The sunlight was behind her, forming a halo around her figure. Her face was hidden behind a thin veil, but I didn't need to see her to know that she looked beautiful. Her long white gown reached the floor, and her train trailed behind her. The only thing not white about her was the bouquet of pink and green flowers. She was an angel.

She took a step forward to take her father’s hand, and together the two of them started down the aisle, following the trail of scattered petals. A small flash of memories of her father passed my mind—when he welcomed us warmly into his home, when he stood proudly on the university auditorium’s stage at his daughter’s graduation, when he cried over his wife’s grave as Kyungsoo and I watched from afar during the funeral. I vaguely wondered if I was wearing black to signify the death of the girl I once knew, and she wore white for the birth of the wife she was to become.

“She looks so beautiful. Oh my God, hyung. I can’t believe this is really happening.” Kyungsoo whispered. “Did you ever think this day would come?”

 

I fiddled with the small silver ring in my pants pocket. “No,” I smiled sadly, “I never did.”

 

 

You'll never know what it's taken me to say these words. 

And now that I've said them, they could never be enough.

As far as I can see, there's only you and only me. 

 

“I do.”

How I’ve waited to hear those words from her. How I’ve waited to say those words myself. Now that I have, I felt my head spin and a weight being lifted off my shoulders.

“You may now kiss the bride.”

I lifted the veil and looked into her eyes. I had looked into those eyes so many times, yet every single time, they managed to capture me entirely and bring me somewhere else. "You glow brighter than any star in the sky." I whispered to her, and she smiled as we leaned foward, our lips meeting in the middle, and in that moment, the whole world disappeared. As I tasted her lips, I felt us become one person, not anymore two separate people. She was mine, and I was hers, from now until forever.

We pulled back amidst loud hoots and cheers, but we barely noticed anyone else. "You're smiling like an idiot." She said jokingly. I held her tight around her waist and replied, "Well, you're the idiot for marrying me." She chuckled, and her laugh sounded like bells tinkling. I would never let her go.

 

 

This is the last time I'll fall in love.

 

She was the one. The only one. I would never love anyone else. I never could. And now, I didn't need to. Til death do us part.

In my whole life, I've been in love so many times, but this time would be the last. My heart was too broken to love anyone else. And I'm so sorry for letting her go. At least I had the knowledge that I had kept my promise. Kyungsoo would keep her protected. At least he would have the courage to fight for her.

As I watched my two best friends marry each other, I cried silently from the side, with a sad smile on my face.