Un-Happy Birthday

Cherry Blossom Tree

Today's weather is not really good. It's cloudy all day. The park is empty and many cherry blossom flowers fall to the ground because of the rain. Hara seems doesn't care about the weather. She's alone in the music room, having fun with the acoustic guitar. While Myungsoo is in the treatment room. He's facing a psychiatrist named Lee Sungyeol in front of him. Dr.Lee is the one who's responsible with Myungsoo's treatment. Myungsoo looks at him blankly as Dr.Lee starts to ask some question.

"Myungsoo-ssi, how you've been doing this week?" Dr.Lee asks him with a concern look.

"Fine." He asnwer shortly.

"Do you sleep well." Dr.Lee asks again.

"Yes." 

"You don't get any insomnia?"

"No."

"What about nightmare?" Dr.Lee personally curious about this, because Myungsoo got nighmare ofeten before.

"No." Myungsoo lied. The other day he still got nightmare. Not as frequently as before, but it's still worrying. Dr.Lee looks at him carefully as he write something on his note.

"Myungsoo-ssi. Do you know? It's June 19th. Do you remember what day is it?"

"It's my birthday."

"Ah, sangeil chukkae imnida! How old are you now?" He asks again.

"I'm 21 now."

"Wah, you're an adult right now. Is there anything that you want to tell me? I mean, any story or anything that might troubled you?"

"No. I think, I'm doing fine right now." Myungsoo lied again. Or maybe not. He's not sure. He's indeed feeling better these days. He begins to talk to other people. Even now he's talk to his mom. It's abig improvement. When he was first had the treatment session he didn't say anything for month. Now slowly he talks, so it's good. But he feels something is about to come up. He feels like this good feeling is not gonna stay much longer. Somehow he feels afraid and insecure.

An hour laters, Myungsoo leaves the treatment classroom. It was raining outside. Myungsoo stands in front of the window at the corridor. The park's view is blurry because of the hard rain. It's disappointing, because he's actually wants to go there. Suddenly he hears a melody. It comes from the music room. Myungsoo walks towards there. He hears someone playing the acoustic guitar. He's not familiar with the song, but he likes it. It sounds good.

Please don't stand so close to me

I'm having trouble breathing

I'm afraid of what you'll see right now

I give you everything I am

All my broken heart beats

Until I know you'll understand

 

And I will make sure to keep my distance

Say, "I love you," when you're not listening

And how long till we call this love, love, love?

It's her voice, Myungsoo knows it. He enters the room and the red-hair girl playing the guitar. She smiles as she saw Myungsoo at the door. Myungsoo tries to keep his cool face, he's sitting in the chair at the corner of ther room.

"That's nice." He said awkwardly.

"Of course it is." She said proudly.

"What song is that?" 

"You don't know?" She smirks. Myungsoo shook his head

"It's Christina Perri - Distance." 

"Oh...what it's all about?" Myungsoo is little bit surprised with his own question.  He doesn't understand why he become so talkative suddenly.

"Mmmm...unrequited love? I guess." She's wondering. Myungsoo chuckles.

"Ahh...personal experience?"

"Maybe...don't you ever get unrequited love? I don't believe it. Everyone must have experienced at least one unrequited love in his life." .

"I'm not. Never." 

"What about about unrequited dream? Like disappointed moment." She asks again.

"I'm not sure."

"Eiisshh...you must have it." She teases as her little fingers back on te guitar strings again. She plays the next song, as Myungsoo keeps looking at her. Now, it's a familiar melody. Myungsoo jumps a little, he got goosebumbs. It's Radiohead - Last Flower To The Hospital. Myungsoo knows this song well. This is the song that Hyunsoo used to played. He begins to breath heavily as he feels pain in his head. He stands up and quickly runs out of the room, making Hara surprised.

"Ya! Kim Myungsoo...where are you going?" She stops playing after saw him run outside.

Myungsoo runs from the music room to the corridor. He suddenly feels the echoes of the song. He used to love the song, but it always reminds him of Hyunsoo.

And I can't face the evening straight

And you can't offer me escape

Houses move and houses speak

If you take me there you'll get relief

Relief, relief, relief, relief

He runs to his room. He leans at the bedroom as he heavily breathe. Suddenly his eyes looks at the calendar. June 19th. Today is his birthday...also Hyunsoo's. Oh,no! Why he keeps seeing Hyunsoo? Myungsoo runs out of the room again. He runs outside to the park, to the cherry blossom tree, the only place that feels safe for him. It's still raining hard. Myungsoo clothes are completely wet now. He doesn't care because he doesn't realize that. His breathe become more suffocating because of the raindrops. He feels cold. He falls down on the ground and feeling the water on his face. Myungsoo's crying, and he doesn't know why. He doesn't know what's happening with his head. There are a lot of voices that creep out in his head right now. Myungsoo wants to scream. 

"Myungsoo-ya!" Hara runs towards him with an umbrella in her hand. Myungsoo looks at her. He's shivering. Hara reach his hands and shakes his shoulder.

"Hey, get up! Whattahell is wrong with you?" She ask. Myungsoo doesn't answer it, because he doesn't now how to answer. He's body is trembling. He cries and Hara doesn't know what to do.

"Crap! Myungsoo...what's happening?!" She's in panic too. Suddenly she's screaming.

"Help! We need some help here! Whattahell is wrong with you guys?! Where are you? Damn it! Help!" She's shouting while holding Myungsoo's trembling hand. Some nurse hear her scream. They look surprised and quickly come towards them. Dr.Lee also come rushing to the park. Hara saw them lifting Myungsoo's weak body and bring him inside. She follows them to the ward.

Some hours later they finally manage to calm Myungsoo down. Myungsoo is now resting in the Emergency Room. Hara doesn't know what's happen...or why Myungsoo act like that. She's waiting outside ER room with a lot of question in her head.

"What's happening to him?" A voice suddenly appears beside Hara. She saw Haru sits beside him. Just like before, he appears anytime he wants.

"I don't know." 

"Maybe it has something to do with the reason why he has to stay here." Haru is guessing.

"Maybe." 

"Ask him." Haru suddenly said.

"How do I ask him, stupid? What if he snaps out and become 'crazy' again?" 

"Figure it out." Haru said before suddenly disappear again. 

"Haisshh...this person really." She's mumbling. Then Dr.Lee come out from the room. Hara looks at his unreadable expression.

"What happens to him?" She asks Dr.Lee desperately.

"Oh? You're still here? He's fine right now. He's calmed down. You don't need to worry. He just got a slight fever because of the rain." He explains

"Why did he's like that before?" 

"You can go back to the dorm. He's alright now." Dr.Lee doesn't answer her question.

"Can I see him?" Suddenly she says.

"Hmm?"

"I was the one who found him. I'm gonna back to the dorm after I see him." Hara said with pleading eyes.

Dr.Lee finally give Hara permission to see Myungsoo. She enters the ER room carefully. She finds him laying on the bed weakly with some drip in his hand. Hara doesn't understand, Myungsoo doesn't look like a weak person, he's just cold and gloomy, but he doesn't seems weak. But now seeing him laying with pale face is just heartbreaking. Slowly she's come near to the bed.

"What was happening to you in the past that makes you turn like this?" She asks to the sleeping Myungsoo. But suddenly she saw him tossing around and waking up. He opens his eyes and looks so discomfort. 

"Hey, you're awake?"  She asks. Myungsoo doesn't answer the question. He's just muttering some words that Hara can't understand.

"Huh? What do you say?" She leans closer to understand what he says.

"What's happening to me?" He asks with hoarse voice.

"Err...I don't know. I was about to ask you what's happening to you." Hara looks at him with blank expression.

"Oh, God..." Myungsoo grabs his head.

"How are you feeling? Do you feel hurt?" She asks him.

"My head..." He keeps clutching his head.

"Do I need to call doctor?" 

"No...they're not helping." Myungsoo said. He takes a deep breath and try so hard to calm down. Hara looks at him and somehow he can feel that he's in pain. It's heartbreaking to see that. The she hold his left hand. She holds it tight without saying anything, because he doesn't know what to say. Myungsoo surprised a little. But then it feels more comfortable. They're keep silent for about ten minutes. And Myungsoo finally calms down.

"Your hands is burning up. I guess you really got fever." She said after he calmed down.

"Am I?" He said weakly.

"You should take some cold medicine later." She said. Myungsoo nodded. He feels safe right now. Slowly he wants to tell her everything. All the things that bottled up in his head. But he doesn't know how.

"Hyunsoo sang that song." Suddenly he begins to talk.

"Huh?" Hara looks at him blankly because she doesn't understand what he's talking about.

"Last Flower To The Hospital. He sang it." .

"Who's Hyunsoo?" Hara asks.

"My brother." 

"Ahh...so he sang that song."

"Today is his birthday. Also my birthday." He said. Hara gasped a little. So they're twins. She know it now.

"What happen to Hyunsoo?" She asks so carefully. A little bit afraid about the answer. A tears keep coming from Myungsoo's eyes.

"He's gone. He's gone..." Hara holds his hand tighter. She wants to embrace this fragile man. Slowly Hara understand a little bit. So he was losing someone. Someone that so close to him. A real reflection of him. His twin brother. 'So I'm not the only one who's losing' Hara thought.

Myungsoo now fall asleep after the nurse gave him cold medicine. Hara now walking in the corridor towards the dorm.

"So he lost someone so close to him?" Haru walks beside her. Hara sighs.

"Yeah, turns out I'm not the only one." 

"Hmmm...It's heartbreaking, isn't?" Haru's eyes are wondering.

"Haru-chan, what if I ended up like him when I was lost you 4 years ago?" Suddenly she asks unexpected question, making Haru surprised. But the he answer it with smile.

"I know you won't." 

"Why?" She asks curiously.

"Because you're invincible. You're the strongest person I ever know. Maybe you were angry that time, but you have enough power to carry on and move on." He explains. Somehow it making Hara smiles

"Did I?"

"You are. So why don't you help him? Why don't you give only 10% of your strenght for him? Just enough to make him through it all?" Haru suggest her.

"Should I?" She asks as Haru nodded before disappeared again. She turns around and walk back to the ER room. She really want to help Myungsoo now.

She enters the ER room and surprised when see Myungsoo's already awake. But the most shocking thing is, he saw Myungsoo tries to gulped down the whole bottle cold medicine pills to his mouth. She shouts and stops him immediately.

"Damn it! Myungsoo! Whattahell are you thinking?!"  She comes towards him and hit his upper back trying to make him spit out the pills in his mouth. Myungsoo coughing, but Hara keeps hitting his back in panic. Finally, the pills throwed out of his mouth. Hara feels relieved ans sighs. Myungsoo coughs a little as he's leaning down to her. 

"Whattahell are you thinking, huh? Why you did it to yourself? Are you stupid?" She shouts at him crazily. Myungsoo just sobs.

"It's painful. I can't take it anymore. I don't wanna feel this way." He's trembling. Hara sweep his sweaty face and notice that he's still burning up.

"Nobody wants. But it doesn't mean that you can die. Only cowards do that. If you can't take it anymore just share it with anyone else...or with me." She said suddenly. She doesn't know why she said that, she just can take it to see Myungsoo like that. Funny, because he's just someone that he knew 2 weeks ago.

"I'm sorry...I'm so sorry..." Myungsoo sobs in her arms as he feels his vision begins to blurry and his head become dizzier.

"Don't feel sorry for yourself. Only s do that."