Diabetes

White Day

March 14, 2013. White Day.

It's not in my calendar.

---

I sat alone on my seat in the room while everyone hustled about. Chocolates here and chocolates there, diabetes everywhere. You know, there is an upside to not receiving chocolates on this day, and that's not getting your insulin ed up.

Easy for me to say. Who wouldn't want the momentary heavenly feeling of something that melts in your mouth, not in your hand?

Today is the oh-so-famous White Day, and we all know that on this day, boys give girls chocolates. It's not like it's such a big deal, really.

Okay, I was lying. It's a big deal. A really big deal. You see, today, chocolates are the bragging rights of girls. If there's a mountain of chocolates on this certain girl's desk, she's the queen. If there are no chocolates on a girl's desk, it's either: 1. she does not exist; or 2. she's just... not that friendly. I fall in between number one and two, I guess? I have horrible affinity with everything.

"Jiyoon, ya got anything?" Baekhee asked. I stared at her full basket of chocolates. My. Friends. Always. Leavemebehind. I sense my self-esteem going down a long, long ladder. She smiled at me and handed me a bar of Hershey's. "Here."

"I'm okay, Baekhee. The chocolate's for you. It's not the chocolate that matters. It's the feelings that are expressed when this was given to you. Come on now, don't be scared of diabetes. It can be managed."

"It's like you're endorsing a disease. A chronic one."

"I'm not endorsing the disease. I'm, in a way, subconsciously and ideologically endorsing the peptide hormone that was made available in 1921."

She put her hands on her waist and smiled. "Insulin is primarily for type 1. With all these, I expect a type 2."

"Primarily, but not restricted. Type 2 might need it too."

"Not like I'm getting the chronic disease anyway."

"Alright," I said. I couldn't think of a good comeback. "Enjoy the disaccharide spree."

Baekhee stood there, seemingly reluctant. "Hey, don't you want to go around with me?" 

"I'll stay, I've naught to do out there."

"But, you--" She paused for a moment. I was blankly staring at her, then suddenly she smirked and nodded. "Right. Right. Okay. I'll respect your decision." She laughed as she made her way to the exit. I eyed her carefully. "Byes."

"Baekhee," I called out. She looked back at me and asked me what the heck my problem was. "Is there something you're not telling me?"

"Nope. Not at all. Nothing." She waved her hand and snickered on her way out. I shrugged and looked front.

Then I'm alone again.

I checked the wall clock again. We still have four hours before we're dismissed. "Damn, they could've just called out classes. We didn't even do anything today." I was whining, even if I know I wouldn't gain anything from it. I rested my head on the desk and sighed. "If I didn't look like an ugly sidekick, would I go around getting chocolates, too?"

"Of course, but don't you look just fine? More than fine, even. Why don't you go out? I'm pretty sure there's someone out there waiting for you to come out." I almost gasped at the sudden voice that appeared out of nowhere. I looked to my right and saw Junghwan looking back at me. Or is it just my imagination?

"I'm going crazy. I'm going crazy. I didn't even take in sugar and I'm going crazy." I knocked my head on the desk thrice and opened my eyes. He's still there. And he smiled at me. "Bonkers. Bonkers. Bonkers."

I closed my eyes for a while. When I opened them, he was gone. "I told you, Kang Jiyoon. He was not there. He was never there. You were hallucinating." I closed my eyes again. "Never there. Never there."

I went back to sleeping after a short while of pondering on why I haven't listened to that voice I blindly trust.

---

"When is she waking up? It's like, quarter to six?"
"Oh my gourd, she won't even wake up even if we nudge her a billion times."
"Wait! I think she's waking up! HURRY, OUT OF THE ROOM!"

I took a hanky out of my pocket and wiped my face. I rubbed my eyes and blinked them thrice. "What's with all the damn noise? Go back to your chocolate give-and-take rites!"

I think I nearly fell off the chair as soon as I saw what was there before me.

The room was filled with warm, colorful lights. Drapery. Everywhere. Petals of white roses adorned the setting and pearl white balloons floated everywhere.

The best part (probably turning to the worst) part is the mountain of white chocolates, marshmallows and candies on the teacher's desk. "Yep. That ain't for me. Just forgot to wake up and leave before the right receiver receives it. I can only wish these were mine. Leaving. Leaving." I was mumbling.

I walked to the door and tried to open it, but it was locked. ". Deep . Help!"

An all too familiar voice suddenly appeared. 

"Do you like it?"

It was Junghwan. Am I dreaming again?

"Are you talking to me?" I was looking around if there's someone else in the room, but apparently, it was only the dude and I.

"Of course, I am. Who else should I be talking to? You're the only one here." He replied. I was thankful the lighting wasn't enough to show my flustered face. "So, do you like it?"

He neared me and I trembled. "Sooo this is for me? I don't know what to say. I'm just... so overwhelmed." My heart was beating so fast that I felt like I would explode like an atomic bomb any time now.

"Is that a bad thing? I'm sorry." Junghwan scratched his head and looked down shyly.

I suppose there's no use hiding these feelings now, right?

I embraced him. I swear it was so abrupt and awkward and every bad feeling about confessing in the dumbest way seeped through my veins but holy crap he reciprocated the act.

Suddenly there were cheers heard from outside. We laughed.

"I guess I'll be getting diabetes after all."


DERP

how was it? leave a comment~