Prologue

Luhan, the Fake Boyfriend

"It's over?" Luhan raised his eyebrows at me, an unreadable expression on his face.

 

"It's...over." I nodded. Focus, Liyin, I told myself, hearing the sound of flashbulbs going off. Good. The paparazzi are here. Now  you can finally end it all.  

 

"We're through," I said quietly, attempting to speak the line with confidence, but my voice wavering near the end. Luhan's eyes searched my face, looking for some kind of catch, his brow furrowed with slight confusion. I waited for him to say the next line my publicist had put in the script for Luhan. What he said next was completely uncalled for.

 

"Is this what you want?" He flipped his hair out of his face, giving me a look. It was a pleading expression, edged with slight desperation. A look of sadness. I was no expert in acting, but the look seemed...real. I searched my mind, looking for the line he'd just said in the script. It hadn't been there..that line wasn't in there...

 

"Yes." I took a deep breath, almost envisioning the headline on the cover of W Korea tomorrow, shoving the other thoughts out of my head. "It's what I want. We can see other people now...and we can love other people...and we don't have to..." I lowered my voice so only he could hear. "We don't have to pretend anymore."

 

Luhan backed away from me, a look of disgust on his face. "Is that what you think it was? Is that what you've been doing all this time? Because no matter what scripts we got...what we were told to do...." he stopped once he was a few feet away from me, shouting back, "I was never pretending, Yin."

 

I never thought my first relationship would be like this.

 

In fact, before Luhan had ever come into the picture, I had never imagined I would have a boyfriend.

 

It just seemed like a hard thing for people to see me as, a girlfriend. I was always an independent, put together person, shown when I lived in Korea by myself for a couple months when I was 11 (not necessarily legally, but still). Maybe my independence and my put-togetherness was the reason why I was so sensible, how I managed to be catapulted into fame just a year after I first moved to China, singing alongside JJ Lin on his hit album and being featured in a solo that happened to top the charts.

 

Maybe that's how I mantained my fame and managed to stay like I was while record labels fought to get my name at the bottom of their contracts, agencies called my house begging for me to come to their talent searches for an automatic spot, and of course, publicists requesting to take me on, seeing me as a good case to start off with seeing how I was so young.

 

Out of all the publicists clawing to get my name on their rosters, we picked the best one, a woman named Xi Ahri. The movie stars she was in charge of all had fantastic reputations.

 

In case you're wondering what a publicist is, think back to the last entertainment magazine cover you saw. A breakup between two lovers, a catfight at a restaurant, a drug scandal at a party, all involving famous people, pop up on the cover? More than likely the work of a publicist. The celebs you saw on the cover more than likely needed or wanted a popularity boost, so they performed a publicity stunt. A little something out of the ordinary that would get them noticed, sometimes in a bad way and sometimes in a good way. But no mater whether it attracts fans or haters, that's more Google searches, Twitter trends, and magazine covers for them, and you can remember their names better, instead of asking, "Liyin who?"

 

I took up the case of a publicist simply because I wanted to mantain a good reputation. I was just a singer, doing what I loved best...so naturally, I never expected I would have to do publicity stunts. I was no Kim Kardashian.

 

But of course in the business, if you're just "doing what you love for fun", people lose interest. You become "boring". And then, that's when your publicist comes in handy.

 

It was a year ago when Ahri dropped the news on me.

 

"No offense, Liyin. If it were up to me, you would still be at the top of the charts. But your popularity is flatlining, and not on a high point. According to the web's biggest 'Zhang Liyin hate' website...it's because people aren't seeing any action. No love life, no relationships, not even . Liyin, you're 19. You need a man." Ahri paused, looking me over.   

 

"But--" I began.  

 

"No, listen to me." Ahri help up her pointer finger, signaling for me to shut up. "You're cute as a button...famous...talented...you kick ....and you are extremely charming. Any guy in the nation would kill to date you. But unfortunately, 'any guy' just won't cut it at the rate you're at right now. You're dropping faster than a hot potato...so you need someone new, fresh, exciting." She saw I was about to speak again and continued.

 

"Someone famous. And seeing how you are every guy's dream girl, that being said, you can't get a boyfriend to save your life. So I'm doing the job for you, because if it were up to you, your boyfriend would be a very handsome fellow named Star Bucks." She chuckled, gesturing to her office's waiting room that was easily visible through the large glass window in the door. Six boys were sitting there, leaning against the wall; they hadn't been there when I had walked in. She pointed out the one sitting in the middle with blonde hair, that was busy with his white iPhone. "You see him? His name is Luhan. You see the boys he's with? That's a popular boyband in Korea and China called EXO-M. They make girls go insane, especially Luhan." She looked me up and down. "He is a fresh, quirky, famous, unique young man. He is your first publicity stunt, Liyin. He is your chance back to the top of the charts, past JJ Lin and SNSD again. You want to be number one, right?"  

 

"Right," I muttered, looking over at the boy.  

 

"There you go." Ahri beamed.  

 

Luhan. Luhan of EXO-M. I looked over at him. I knew nothing about him, knew nothing about his boyband, or the --how was he going to...

 

"You," Ahri announced, "Are going to date Luhan in front of the camera, and even beyond that. Luhan, from this moment on, is your fake boyfriend."  

 

Well..this was going to be interesting, I thought. 

 

And it had been interesting. It was hard to mourn back on what had started the best and worst year of my life. But it was only a day after me and Luhan had "broken up".

 

I still believed we could get back together. That our story wasn't over yet. I couldn't bring myself to say it......but maybe our relationship could've been real.

 

But you guys must be confused with what I've told you so far. I know I would be...so in the meantime, since I have the day off, let me tell you guys exactly what's happened in the past year.