1...

A Paradise Catastrophe

∞♥∞

breeze of spring air gently blows in my face as I enjoy the pleasing scenery. The heat of the sun gives warmth to my body lying under the fully bloomed Cherry blossom tree. The sound of the chirping birds was music to my ears. I could hear nothing but peace. Bliss could describe what I feel. Satisfaction surrounds me. I’m off to wonderland again, maybe, I can’t ask for more.

 

1st Chapter...

 

 

 

 

“Chanyeol-ah! Wake up! You’d die starving if you stay asleep. Get up and go to work!”  A continuous knock on the door with a loud voice woke him up. That was Kris, his long time comrade. The elder male used to be his living alarm clock sometimes. Its 7:00 am, quite earlier than the usual time he set. The newly awake boy quickly stood up and prepares himself for his part-time job. He wore a blue T-shirt with graffiti prints on it and a gray jeans paired with his usual eye glasses. He’s right, nothing will happen if I stay asleep. He thought. He made his way out to their rented apartment which was nearly old. The screech of the front door echoed in the whole house. The whole apartment was silent, only the ticking of the clock was heard. That means Kris, the taller male was gone to his work already. The apartment will be empty again like it was almost everyday. He locked the doors making sure everything was in place before he left.

This was his cyclic routine. His continuous life cycle.

 

 

There he was, back in reality again. Waking up every day was harder for him than anybody thought. In his life, it indicates the end. His own world drifts, his wonderland fades away. How I wish I’d never wake up. But that cannot happen, should not happen. He thought again after letting out a deep sigh.

 

 

At day, the Korean male work as a dishwasher in a restaurant downtown and as a waiter in a bar at night. It pays him for their living. In-order to survive the cruel world, he needs to work hard, to work harder.

The sound of buzzing people in the busy streets of Seoul filled in his ears. The smell of bulgogi in food stalls gets in his senses. He heard his empty stomach crumbles and he has no choice but to ignore it. Holding his stomach, he glanced at his watch; the bus will arrive in less than 4 minutes. He decided to quicken his pace reassuring he wouldn’t be late. It will be a tough time when he got fired again. The tall male waited for his ride in a crowded bus stop. He mentally cheered when the bus arrived exactly after 3 minutes.

 

“Goodmorning Mr. Choi!” The Korean male greeted as he enter the restaurant. The elder man greeted back with a smile and motioned a thumbs’ up for being on time. Mr. Choi was the owner of the restaurant he worked in. The boy was fortunate to have a kind-hearted employer as him. Whenever he needed money for some circumstances, the elder pays him his salary in advance. In return, the Korean male worked with his best.

He took an apron and a pair of rubber gloves before heading in the kitchen sinks. He sighted Kyungsoo, The head chef, preparing the whole kitchen. The shorter doe eyed male was always the early bird among all of them. The taller boy waved at him with a flash of smile. The other did the same. The taller male started doing his job. A pile of dirty plates we’re needed to be washed since several customers frequently took their breakfast there.

 

“How is she?” Kyungsoo asked casually while chopping white radishes for the Kimchi.

“She’s better than before. Thank God my mom is a fighter.” He replied while proceeding in his work.

“That’s good to hear. I’m looking forward to her fast recovery and wellness.” Kyungsoo said sincerely after finishing all the ingredients for the Kimchi.

“Thanks, hyung.” The tall boy turned to him to express his gratitude. If there is a person he can proclaim as a friend, Kyungsoo is a real one.

 

Lunch time had come. The restaurant was occupied with numerous customers. The noisy atmosphere began to start. There was an argument between two people, a couple maybe. They earned sharp stares but they didn’t mind. Loud whispers began to fill the whole area. Sooner, the security made their actions and quickly sent the two out. Different commotions happen there every day. It’s tiring but all of them were so used to it.

The whole restaurant was busy including the tall male. Being a dishwasher was not a joke, it isn’t easy as he thought. A long day has passed. It was nearly 5 in the afternoon; it means his working hours is over. He bid goodbye to Mr. Choi and the other workers. The next thing he should do is to visit his family. He took a train ride which was the fastest way to reach their location. It has been a week since the last time he visited his family due to his straight working schedules. He never failed to atleast drop-by but this week was a bit different.

 

 

His elder sister and his mom stayed together in Guri of Gyeonggi Province. He usually visits them thrice a week or whenever he has free time. It has become his responsibility to assure his family’s living since his father was mercilessly taken away, away from reality.

 

“Umma, Noona, I’m here…” The male called out. A not-so-petite female which was exactly alike of the taller male showed up.

“Dongsaeng, umma is waiting for you. Come inside.” It was Yura, the male’s elder sister. Besides their gender, the only obvious difference they have was their hair length and style. They had the same facial features which made them often mistaken as identical twins.

He entered their simple bungalow and headed to their living room. A woman in her mid of 50s lying on the couch looking thin and pale came to his view. A pinch on his heart made him shed a single tear. He quickly wiped it away before the woman turned to him.

 

“Umma… how are you?” He asked despite of knowing the truth.

“Better, especially now you are here.” She managed to smile trying to hide her pain, physically and emotionally but the male knows she’s barely telling the truth.

“I’m sorry for not dropping by. It was a busy week, I’m very sorry umma.” He held her hands tightly. His chest tightens, his vision became blurry. As much as he can, he prevents his tears to escape. He wanted to show his mother that he’s staying strong so she can do the same albeit it’s not easy.

She had fallen asleep. She needs a good rest in her condition. The petite female started a conversation with his younger brother. They are in the Kitchen preparing a hearty meal good for the three of them.

"How are you? I'm worried. You seemed too busy, you looked sleepless." The female asked while proceeding on her businness.

"The same but I'm fine, nothing to worry. How was the check-up of umma by the way ?"  The taller male was now standing beside her, enjoying the smell of the freshly prepared engredients.

“I’ve got the test results from the doctor earlier.” Yura paused for a while. She took a seat with a steady look on her face.The elder woman experienced strange symptoms. She was healthy and strong without any traces of weakness but it changed a month ago.

“How was it? What does it say?” The male faced his sister and took a seat near her. A moment of silence filled the place.

“She has…” She let out a heavy sigh. Tears started to stream down on her face.

“Noona, w-what is it? Please tell me.” He begged for the answer already knowing it is not pleasing to hear.

“S-She has Leukemia Chanyeol, Lymphocytic Leukemia, s-stage III.” She said between her sobs.

 

The male was left out of words not knowing what to say, not knowing what to feel. Questions filled his head. Why is this happening to us? Of all the people, Why her? Why not me instead? He asked himself not knowing who to ask. His fist clenched, his tears falling down endlessly. He felt mad but doesn’t know to whom. He felt weak, he doesn’t know.  

If only he could bring her to his paradise, everything will be alright.

If only he could.