Part 2

Just A Heartbeat

                        Dr. Yoo looked at Junhong and shook his head sadly.

 

                        “No,” Junhong whispered, his eyes filled with fresh tears.

 

                        “Time of death: 10:15 P.M.,” one of the nurses announced.

 

                        “No!” Junhong shouted, shaking Jongup hard. He is not dead. He can’t be. “Jongup, wake up! You promised me you won’t leave me, didn’t you?! Wake up!”

 

                        The nurses tried pulling Junhong off Jongup but he swatted them away. “Jongup, you promised…”

 

                        Junhong’s tears were uncontrollable. He hugged Jongup tightly; he doesn’t want to let him go. He kissed Jongup’s eyelid, expecting the other’s eyes to flutter open like they did every time he does that. No response. He rested his head on Jongup’s chest and wrapped his arm around his torso, expecting the other to wrap his own arms around his neck like he always did. Still, nothing. He took Jongup’s hand, expecting the other’s fingers to curl around his like they did every time. And when they didn’t, it finally dawned on Junhong that his lover had left him for good. He is asleep, but he will never wake up again.

 

                        Junhong cried harder at the thought. Those small beautiful eyes are never gonna look at him lovingly again. Those once muscular and strong arms, which became thin and frail but still enveloped him in the same familiar warmth, are never gonna hug him again. Those lips, pulled up in a smile even during his most difficult moments, are never gonna kiss him again. Now, no one is there to assure him that everything will be alright. And, Junhong knew, nothing would be alright anymore.

 

                        The thought of it became too much for him to bear. Junhong ran outside the hospital. He wanted to get away from it all. He could barely see anything through his tears but he just kept on going, not minding the pouring rain, not even caring where his feet were taking him.

 

                        Junhong did not even realize that he had stepped off the curb onto a narrow one-way road, and that a speeding fifth generation Hyundai Avante, going at a hundred kilometers per hour, was just about fifty meters away from him.

 

                        Tires screeched on the wet concrete as the driver stepped hard on the break. There was a loud thud and Junhong’s body, drenched by the rain and soaked in a pool of his own blood, lied motionless on the cold, wet pavement.

 

                        “Jonguppie…” Junhong whispered, eyes half-open, smiling at the familiar face in front of him.

 

                        “Junhong-ah.” Jongup held out his hand. He seemed to be glowing. “Junhong-ah, it’s time. Will you come with me?”

 

                        Junhong gladly took Jongup’s hand. They walked together, hand in hand, towards a bright light at the end of the road. Junhong looked back and saw an ambulance coming, and nurses jumping out to lift his lifeless body onto a stretcher.

 

                        “What’s the matter, Junhong-ah?” Jongup asked.

 

                        “Nothing, Juppie.” Junhong smiled. “Because we’ll never be separated again.”

 

                        And they continued walking, hearts happy and at peace, knowing that nothing is ever gonna threaten their promise of forever again.

~~~~

Juppie~ Junhongie~ T___T  /o\

LOL soooo my heart doesn't want to accept this ending so I made another one. If you want to, you can read it here: Just A Heartbeat (Alternative Ending).