Closure

Hearts That Beat Anew

It was nearly sunset in the park near the school and everything was coated with a yellow-orange tint. Hyuna sat all alone on the bench, the wind gently sweeping against her frowning face until Hyunseung came walking into the picture and stopped right in front of her. She didn’t wanna see him; she felt noxious just thinking of the very idea of him.

“I wanna talk to you,” he said with a hint of eagerness. “Will you let me?”

Avoiding eye contact, she faintly patted to the spot next to her. He let out an exhale in relief and took his seat, distancing himself almost a ruler away from her.

“I’m sorry we ended like this,” he began. “I was such a coward. Had I told you that my feelings for you have faded more properly then you wouldn’t be acting this way.”

For a few seconds, they fell silent. The wind brushed past them, their clothes rippling as a few leaves trickled atop their heads.

She caught a leaf and gazed at it. “I was a coward, too.” It was hard to admit, but it was true. “Ever since we got together, I already felt some kind of doubt. I kept lying to myself that you were the one when I was just scared to face the reality that you—in fact—weren’t.” She paused for a moment to hold in her tears. “I guess I just had to see it for myself to believe it.”

“I really feel bad and embarrassed.” He rubbed the back of his neck and nudged a bit closer. “I know I still have a lot to learn; I never really was a good boyfriend to begin with. In my next one, I’ll try harder. As for you, I hope that this closure will help you feel better.”

She curled her legs up, wrapped her arms around them and lowered her head slightly. “I know I have to eventually get up somehow, but it will be hard.”

He patted her back for encouragement. “Someone will help you with that,” he said with utmost certainty. “Actually, his head’s popping out from the bushes over there. He came to me a while back and told me to man up. I hate to admit it but he was right.” He then stood up and prepared to leave. “You should thank him; I’ve never seen him so worried. I guess I’ll get going now. Feel better, okay?” He waved at her. “Goodbye.”

She nodded and waved back. “Goodbye, Hyunseung.”

Indeed, it was a good farewell.

From afar, she called out the person responsible for all of that. “We already knew you were there. You can come out now, stalker.”

Abashed, Sunggyu stepped out from his hiding spot and replaced Hyunseung’s spot beside her. This time though, he sat much closer to her.

“I couldn’t hear much, but I can tell you’ve talked properly,” he said.

“Yeah. Turns out, we both had things to admit.” she leaned back against the bench and said, “Thanks, Sunggyu.”

He couldn’t help but grin. “No problem. I’m glad you’re not pissed at me.”

“Hey…” She clutched the sleeve of his leather jacket. “I know this is selfish, but can you do me a favor?”

“Hmm?”

Her grip tightened and she began to cry. By instinct, she covered her face to spoon her tears. “Stay here with me as I let everything out.”

“Sure—”

The moment she was given permission, Hyuna pulled herself closer to him and poured her heart out, staining his jacket with her tears mixed with flesh-colored foundation. She cried softly yet intensely all scrunched up in a ball beside him. At some point she even ended up embracing him. Luckily, he didn’t seem to mind, but his heart was pounding very fast. And she felt it.

“Gyu, do you like someone?”

“Yeah, I do,” he honestly replied.

“What if she sees you like this? She might misunderstand.”

“I highly doubt that. She’s not ready for someone yet,” he said.

“You’re right; I’m not ready for someone yet,” she replied, easily deciphering his discretion. It became pretty obvious when she thought back to it with the way he acted towards her.

“Hy-Hyu-Hyuna, I-I, i-i-t’s just—”

The cat’s out of the bag.

Before he continued to speed stutter, she closed her eyes then asked him to sing her sweet lullabies ‘till the moon shined its brightness upon them like a faint spotlight. Despite the slight awkwardness, he obliged. His voice really was the best—it was so good that she couldn’t sleep just because she wanted to listen to it even more.

Kim Sunggyu, I found you out. 


BUSTTEEEDDD. :))

Thank you for reading and I hope you guys enjoyed it~! :D