chapter one.

Forbidden

 “I’ll protect you my queen.” He bent down to roll his grey jeans up to his knees. The young man in the light blue t-shirt pairing it with his dark jeans stood back up giving her a light smile. He stretched both his arms, tightening his arm muscles; even try to bend down to touch his toes. “Just stretching before I carry you. You know you’re not the lightest—” Before he could finished the received a glare followed by a light smack on the shoulder. “Sorry,” He apologized.

 

 

She gasped when his arms suddenly held her up to his chest and carried her like a bride as he made his way across the muddy stream of water separating them from their destination. It wasn’t the first time that he carried her securely in his arms, but every time, her heart starts beating rapidly and her face heats up.

 

 

She let of a shriek when his feet almost tripped over a rock underwater. “Jiyong, be careful.” Bom giggled, tightening her arms around his neck to be more secure. “If I fall down, you are going down with me.”

 

 

“Yes, my queen.” He joked making the woman blush in response, burying her blushing red face against his chest. He continued to make his way to the other side of the water carefully, making sure that he wouldn’t drop her with every step he took.

 

 

With dirt and mud covering his leg up to the tips of his knees and finally reaching the opposite side of the stream of dirt covered water, Bom was ready to step back down, already having her arms untangled and pulled away from his neck, but Jiyong continued walking. “Let me down.” Bom pouts.

 

 

“Shhh,” He shushed her as he continued what he was doing, ignoring her words. “We’re almost there.” He walked on the unpaved trail that let them the way out the forest. As he walked, he entertained her with a love song. He sang as she listened, laughing when he tried hitting those high notes but failed. He wasn’t the best singer or the best at memorizing song lyrics, but she loved it when he sings to her because she was the only one who was able to see this side of him— the sensitive side which no one is able to see.

 

 

He is a soldier— A soldier ranking at the number one spot as the best and most loyal soldier of the royal family. He was strong, fearless, and dedicated soldier who promised to protect the people of his country and be forever be loyal to his king. Jiyong’s father was a soldier, who is currently retired, passing down his position of head soldier to his son. His mother left him when he was only an infant— not for another man, no. She left her husband and son because she was young and she realized the married life was not for her.

 

 

She was a servant for the king’s daughter. Her mother is a maid for the queen and her father was an educated man who taught the future princes and princesses at the palace, or so he thought. She didn’t work for the princess as she claimed; she was the princess— the princess who everyone was curious to meet for all of these years. She was named as the most beautiful woman in the country, but no one could really judge. Her face was never seen in the public, when people do see her, they wouldn’t know who she was because her face would always be covered with a silk cloth, or a thin scarf that she wraps around her neck and pulled up to hide the features of her face below her eyes. She was currently 17 and wants to explore the world outside of the locked gates; she had been stuck inside the palace all her life, studying, learning how proper woman acted, and being controlled by her mother. Her mother would never allow her to do what she wanted. ‘Overprotected’ people might say, but in Bom’s eyes, her mother just wanted her to become another version of herself.

 

 

About 2 months ago, the Queen had finally let Bom have a bit of freedom. Bom’s 18th birthday was soon approaching and it is the age where the Queen has been preparing Bom for all of these years. 18 years of age, she should be finding a husband. Her daughter’s last wish before her parents will start making the decision on who she should marry was to be let out of the palace and explore her country. Of course, the Queen would not let her do such a thing. Anything 5 miles away from the palace was forbidden. Not satisfied with the words of her mother, but Bom accepted it. It was better than being stuck inside this jail she calls ‘home’.

 

 

-Flashback-

 

 

Having her mother’s permission, Bom and her servant, Dara would get out of the house every Sunday. They prepare their lunch in a weave picnic basket and canoe to a near island not far from the palace.

 

 

The second week of her freedom, it was a foggy afternoon after the morning was companied by rain. Though the water was barely visible with the amount of fog covering it, the stubborn princess refuses to stay in the palace.

 

 

The island was dubbed ‘The Haunted Island’. It was told to the people of the palace that the island was haunted by Kim Hyun Su. He was an old Korean man who committed suicide several years ago. No one dared to step foot into the island because of the myths and stories that soldiers have told them; how the old man would wonder around the island forest to search for companies. Years ago, two young men had entered; they’ve never returned.

 

 

There they gripped on their wooden paddles, wondering on the water. Their current scenery was nothing but a misty fog floating in their every sight. Thunder storms can her hear above their heads.

 

 

“Princess, I think we should return.” Dara said in a weak voice.

 

 

“Yah! What do you think I’ve been trying to do this whole time?” Bom continued to paddle. “We’re too far away from the palace.” She took a second to think. “Let’s take a rest there!” Bom pointed her index finger to an old wooden dock that had missing pieces from the surface and spider webs covering almost the entire botton.

 

 

“We should not do that, Princess.” Dara’s blank expression changed into a scared and worried look. “It is forbidden to enter that island. Princess, haven’t you heard the story about Kim Hyun-” Before she could finish, Bom interrupted her. “Come one Unnie. Do you really believe in that silly myth? Have you ever heard of the phrase, ‘Don’t believe everything you hear’?”

 

 

Dara stuttered to think of a comeback. “I-I…” The older lady decided to stay quiet.

 

 

They rowed their wooden canoe to the dock. It was barely visible with the thick fog floating in the air. The dock made a creaking noise as they approached.

 

 

“Who are you?!” A man’s voice came from behind the fog.

 

 

Dara let of a frighten gasp, making Bom covered with one hand. “Who’s there?” Bom spoke, trying to sound as brave as she could despite the fact that she was scared to death. In her mind, she mentally smacked herself. What if the story about Kim Hyun Su was really true? Bom never lost her attention at the unknown voice.

 

 

She stared at the fog. A dark figure stepped out and their hearts beat a hundred times faster than before. “Who- Who are you?” Bom let out a nervous question.

 

 

“I asked you first.” He reminded her. “Why are you guys here?” His angry tone scared her.

 

 

“Why not? After all, I am the princ-“ Bom stopped talking when the man stepped to the edge of the dock, revealing himself.

 

 

She frozed. She was impressed by the looks of the young man. The man had black hair and it was spiked up; the hairstyle looked exactly like what a male celebrity would have.  He had on a fainted baggy forest green pant.  He stood half in front of them covered in dirt and sweat on the arms and chest.

 

 

He was stunned by her beauty. The woman he saw in front of him had on a light yellow dress with beautiful hand stitched designs. Her long legs were exposed by the position she was sitting in. Her brown hair was brushed to one side into a loose braid and her bangs were swipe to the side of her face.

 

 

Her big brown eyes met his and they both looked away blushing.

 

 

His dark tone disappeared to a soft voice. “What brings you ladies to this island?”

 

 

Dara nervously looked at Bom but the princess had no expressions so she spoke on her behalf. “We, we were heading to pick flowers but we lost our way when the fog thickened.” She explains.

 

 

“For the last 2 years, no one else beside me has stepped foot on this island. I would like to keep it that way. I would kindly ask the both of you guys to leav-“ He stopped talking when the female in the yellow dress stepped out of the canoe and to the dock. She brushed the dirt off from her dress from behind.

 

 

“Hey, did you not listen to me? I specifically told the both of you to-“

 

 

“Sir, listen.” Bom faced him. “We’re lost and don’t expect us to find our way back in this kind of state.” She pointed to the water that was barely visible.

 

 

He sighed in agreement.

 

 

Up until dawn, the girls accompanied him in the island. Through their time together, two of the three people became closer than expected. In the short amount of time they spent together, the two became comfortable enough to share personal stories and spoke with no formalities.

 

 

“So, you work in the palace?” He started the fire.

 

 

Inside, she debated about this the entire evening. Her mind wanted her to lie to him— she knows that if he knew who she real was, his royalty of the king will come first and he would never try to get close, but her heart didn’t want to lie to this amazing man— the time they spent together felt like they’ve know each other their whole lives. Of course she felt horrible for choosing the first option. She nodded. “Yes. I serve for the princess.”

 

 

When the sun finally approached, Jiyong volunteer to take the girls back.  Stopping at the end of the wooden dock, the girls stepped out. “Thanks,” they bowed.

 

 

“No problem.” He smiled at Bom.

 

 

Bom turned her head to give a look for privacy. Understanding the princess’ silent message, she rushed back to the palace after bowing one last time to the younger man.

 

 

The sound of silence entered the scene. Bom bend her knees inwards awkwardly.

 

 

“Thank-“ “I was-“ They both said at the same time and immediately stopped talking when they realized they spoke in unison. “You go first.” Jiyong motioned his hand.

 

 

She laughed awkwardly. “I just wanted to thank you for being so kind and letting us stay for the night. I understand that you dislike villagers going to the island, so I am sorry for doing so— also in the behalf of Dara unnie. We’re sorry for being a bothersome to you.”

 

 

“No. Don’t mention it.” He smiled. “Well, actually I was wondering… if we can meet more often.”

 

 

She looked up at him with her big brown eyes. She was thinking the exact thing, but it was stuck in as she didn’t know how to say it.

 

 

From that day on, whenever Bom was allowed to leave the house with her mother’s permission, she and Dara would sneak to the Haunted Island to meet Jiyong.

 

 

-End of Flashback-

 

 

Crossing streams of water, walking through the dark forest, and climbing up hills, Jiyong and Bom finally sang their way and arrived at their destination. It was the highest hill of the island which the beautiful view of the river and the palace could be seen. On top of the hill was almost completely covered in white daisies. At the very center of the hill, an old oak tree stood– the wind continuously passed by and its leaves would follow.

 

 

The barefooted man lightly placed Bom down from his arms on to the grass.

 

 

Bom fixed her floral pink gown. “Thank you.” She flashed him a smile after he had made himself sit comfortably next to her. He responded back with a smile. She faced the beautiful scenery in front of them. Across the river, she was able to see soldiers and servants setting up for the event held tonight at the palace.

 

 

She sighed knowing that all of the maids in the house are currently running all over the palace trying to look for her. The party was going to start in a couple of hours and she has not yet been found to get ready.  Knowing her mother well, the Queen is probably scolding everyone in sight for not keeping an eye on her daughter.

 

 

As her mind was focused at the scene from the other side of the river, Jiyong stared at the side of her face— admiring every flawless feature on her. The light wind passed them and strand of her hair blew to her face. He was in awe and didn’t even realize when Bom turned to face him.

 

 

“Jiyong?” He shook his head when he heard his name. “Y-Yeah?” He faked a cough and turn to view the water.

 

 

She laughed at his silly reaction. “So, why did you ask me to come here?” She questioned. As she waited for a reply, Bom pulled her legs against her chest and played with her floral dress. A pout appeared on her face when she tried multiple times to remove the dirt on the hem of her dress.

 

 

He couldn’t help but giggle at her pout. Jiyong his thumb and reached out to rub the dirt off. “Well, I just wanted to see you.” He admits and shied away his face from her.

 

 

The confession made her turn to blush.

 

 

“And,” He started, clearing his voice. “Tonight… I’m sure you are aware of the Princess’ birthday party this evening,” He crossed his arms on his chest.

 

 

“Yeah,” Her soft voice spoke.

 

 

 

“Well, the King had invited me to attend the event tonight.”

 

 

She froze. No. No, he can’t come to the palace tonight. If he does, he’ll surely see me and find out that I am the princess! She screamed in her head. No, no. No! She cried inside.

 

 

“Bom?” Jiyong lightly nudge her on the shoulder. “Did you hear me?”

 

 

Back in reality, she shook her head. “Y-yeah.” She looked at him. “Why would father-” she stopped herself. “Why would the King ask for your presence at the party tonight?”

 

 

Jiyong shrugs. “I’m not sure. He has always placed me at the training center to take control, but I’m not sure why would he invite me to the palace this time.” He explained his confusion.

 

 

She huffed.

 

 

“You know, this means that we’ll be able to see each other right?” He smiled and grabbed her right hands. “I’ll finally be able to see you daydream during work.” He laughed at his own joke.

 

 

When he mentioned about seeing her at the party, her mind was in another world she didn’t even catch his joke at the end.

 

 

Speaking of daydreaming, just look at this lady. Jiyong sighs.

 

 

The two spent the next two hours sitting in each other’s arms. They watched the sun setting behind the horizon. They wished to stay in their position but a voice called for them.

 

 

“Bom!”

 

 

The two of them quickly distance themselves from each other.

 

 

The panting voice became louder and clearer as it reached to the top of the hill. “Bom!” It was Dara’s voice. She rushed over to the island. The princess has been missing since noon and the Queen was not pleased when the whole team of solders, servants, maid, and everyone in sight had no answers for her about where the Princess was.

 

 

As the Princess’ personal servant, Dara was scolded and had her job on the line when she held her tongue about where Bom was. She faced a great dilemma to either keep her job serving the royal family or lose her best friend’s trust and loyalty. Of course, the caring and selfless woman chose to remain quiet about her friend’s absence.

 

 

“Princ-,” She stopped herself. “Bom, I think… we should… head back to the… palace. The p-princess is… looking for you.” She pants, inhaling and exhaling hard. She tried to ignore the glare from the younger lady when after she almost reveals Bom’s true identity.

 

 

“She’s right Bom,” Jiyong stood up and rubbed the back of his neck at the awkwardness. “I should also get going too— don’t want to be late for my first visit at the palace.” He reached out a hand for Bom to guide her up.

 

 

Dara gave Bom a questioning look and mouthed her curiosity. “Palace?

 

 

Bom just gave her a light smile, knowing that Jiyong was also there looking at her. “Yes. I’m pretty sure the Princess is running around trying to find me.” Bom replied with a fake laugh.

 

 

Jiyong escorted the girls to the dock where their wooden canoe was strung to one of the metal bars. One by one, each girl’s took his hands for balance as they carefully get inside the canoe. He bent down on one of his knees to push the canoe and waved them goodbye.

 

 

 

 

Night had fallen and the all of the lights of the palace lit up.

 

 

Thirty minutes into the event, more guests arrived. Finally, after 18 years since the birth of Princess Bom Park, the nation will be able to determine for themselves if the claimed beauty was really as beautiful as she was praise. Just to get a glance at the Princess, royal families from all over the world traveled to South, Korea to attend the birthday event. Some came for the right reasons, others, not.

 

 

In the ballroom, champagne was served along with fancy desserts carried on trays by servants. The beautiful orchestra music played by the band could be heard from all over the palace.

 

 

The male servants were all uniformed in well-fitted black and white wool jackets while the female servants wore a black knee length dress with their white waist apron. The soldiers stood at their specific location and could be indentify by their navy blue soldier uniform and military hat. The men stood emotionless.

 

 

 

 

Peeking into the ballroom from behind the curtains of an inside balcony, the nervous princess looked around the crowd of people. She tried to search of a familiar face which she hoped she wouldn’t face tonight.

 

 

“Princess,” Dara walked towards her.

 

 

Bom jumped in surprise. “Gosh, Unnie, you scared me.” Bom placed her left hand on her chest.

 

 

“Sorry.” Dara apologized. “Princess, we should get ready to head downstairs. Your mother wants you to meet the royal guests.”

 

 

Unnie,” Bom’s voiced changed into a nervous tone.

 

 

The older female walked over. “Everything’s going to be fine, Honey.” Dropping the formalities, Dara rubbed the princess’ shoulder to calm her down.

 

 

“But he’s here.” Bom walked towards her bed to take a seat. “I can’t let him know my real identity. I cannot risk losing him when he discovers I’ve been lying to him.” Bom almost cried at the thought.

 

 

Dara sighs and walked over. “Honey,” Dara stop speaking when she heard footsteps enter the room. She suddenly bowed. “Your majesty,” Dara stared at the ground and didn’t see the glare that she was given by the Queen.

 

 

“You may leave.” The Queen commands. Dara nodded her head, stepping out of the Princess’ bedroom.

 

 

She turned her attention to her daughter. “You, young lady, where have you been all afternoon? I had the whole palace searching for you.”

 

 

“Sorry mother. I-I” Bom tried to come up with an excuse. “I fell asleep in the library as I was studying.” She was not able to look at her mother as she lied. Instead she dropped her head down to stare at her fingers.

 

 

“Don’t you ever let me worry about you like that again, okay?” She received a nod from the young lady. The queen walked over to sit down next to her and gently pulled her daughter’s chin up to face her. “Bom, tonight is your event. I want you to go downstairs and make a good first impression to the royal families. I know that tonight is your first time in the center of attention, make a good impression and do not embarrass me and your father.” She warned.

 

 

“Yes mother.” Bom said softly.

 

 

“Good.” The queen breathed. “Now, make yourself look pretty and go talk to the princes— find a handsome and rich man tonight.” She smiled, brushing a strand of hair away from Bom’s face.

 

 

With that, the queen stepped out of the room.

 



Gee's Note; Sh, I seperated the paragraphs far apart to make it look longer.
I honesty DISLIKE this chapter.