Sad Beautiful Tragic

Sad Beautiful Tragic Part III

Sooyoung stood in the street and stared tiredly at the glass window of the restaurant where she was supposed to meet up with Kyuhyun.

She came all the way from Gwangju to Seoul just to see him. It’s been 3months since she last saw him and now she can’t believe that he’s right there waiting for her.

She was about to enter the front door when she stopped because a girl with a black, long and curly hair approached Kyuhyun. The girl was dressed in tight t-shirt and jeans and has long legs and small waist.

Who’s that girl? Sooyoung thought.

She can’t see the face of the girl because she can only see her back. She noticed that Kyuhyun and the girl had been talking for a while and when they both stopped, she kissed him in the cheeks and they both hugged each other for so long.

Sooyoung stood numbly outside trying to absorb of what was happening and when she couldn’t take it anymore, tears spring in her eyes. She had no idea what to do. She wishes to disappear from that place right away. Finally, she takes a last lingering look at Kyuhyun and then walks away without looking back.

***

May 25, 2006

Thursday

Dear Kyuhyun,

                I’m writing you an e-mail because I know you’ll be busy from now on. First, I want you to know that I’m happy and doing well. Second, I want to congratulate you on your debut. I still can’t believe you’re officially a Super Junior member now. I’ve watched your performance on SBS I-CONCERT and I think you did well. I’m sorry I didn’t go to the restaurant yesterday where I was supposed to meet you. I’ve been busy and I haven’t got the time to call you and tell you that I won’t be able to go. I hope you understand.

                I have read your last e-mail to me about your team leader Leeteuk. I know it’s hard for you but don’t worry about it, everything will be alright. Besides, you already told me before that Jong Woon and Ryeowook had been talking to you recently, so it will just take some time for the other members to acknowledge you, just wait and it’s going to be fine.

                The truth is… I’ve been thinking a lot lately about us, about you being away, and your popularity etc. I know I told you that wherever you are and whatever you do, I’ll always love you and that’s not going to change. There’s something I want to tell you about but I don’t have the courage to talk to you on the phone so I thought I should just e-mail this to you. Please know that it’s not about you, it’s me. I just realized that I don’t want to be in a relationship with you right now. I think it’s better for us to just stay as friends.

                I don’t want to hurt you anymore as much as I’m hurt so it would really mean to me if you stop sending me e-mails from now on.

                Please know that whatever happens, you’ll always be my best friend and I’m really sorry. I hope you understand.

Love always,

Sooyoung

***

May 26, 2006

Friday

Dear Sooyoung,

                Why do you always try to wound me? How can I not reply to your last e-mail? There’s so much I want to ask you. Do you have any idea how much I’m hurt when you didn’t come to see me where we were supposed to celebrate my debut? If only you knew what I’ve been through. I love you so much. I want to see you right now. I know there’s something wrong and I don’t know what else to write so I’ll just come there and see you. And please don’t try to hide from me when I get there.

Love always,

Kyuhyun

***

The sky started to pour a heavy rain, the first heavy rain on the month of May. Kyuhyun have been at the park for more than an hour anxiously waiting for Sooyoung. As he opens his umbrella to protect himself from the rain, he can see Sooyoung from a distance making her way towards him.

It is the day that Kyuhyun have long dreamed of… the day of seeing Sooyoung again… the perfect moment to see her perfect eyes on a not so perfect rainy day.

Sooyoung walks slowly towards Kyuhyun and she can’t help but wonder how he’s been. Has he missed her? Probably not like how she missed him. Has he found someone who’s beautiful than her, now that he’s popular? Was that the reason why he cheated on her? The thought is so painful that she dismissed it immediately.

When Sooyoung had finally reach Kyuhyun, they both hurriedly went under the roof of the porch at the front of a theater near the park, to avoid from getting wet from the rain.

Sooyoung’s mouth goes dry as she glances at Kyuhyun who looks glorious except that he’s scowling at her.

“When did you last eat?” he snaps.

“Annyeong, Kyuhyun. It’s nice to see you.”

“Answer me.” Kyuhyun’s eyes blaze.

“I had a banana at lunchtime.”

“When did you last have a proper meal?”

"Kyuhyun that really is none of your concern” she murmurs feeling frustrated.

“Whatever you do concerns me. You look like you’ve lost a lot of pounds. ” He said as he turns toward her. “How are you?” he asked.

“If I tell you I’m fine, I’d be lying”

Kyuhyun held her soft cheeks as he looks deeply in her hazel eyes. “Me, too. I miss you so much.”

“Kyuhyun, please… we need to talk.”

"I know that’s why I’m here. Why did you send me that e-mail? What’s wrong?  If you don’t want me to go back to Seoul, it’s ok. I don’t need to leave. I can stay.” He said as he releases his arms from holding her.

“No. it’s not about that. The truth is… I just thought that we should stop this already”.

“But… wae?” Kyuhyun asked.

Sooyoung was hesitant for a moment and sighed.

“There’s someone else. I’m in love with someone else.” She lied.

“No, don’t say that.”

Kyuhyun’s arms are wrapped around Sooyoung.

“Kyuhyun, I … please… I’ve cried so much already.” She breathes.

She tried to fight her emotions but she just rests her head against him as tears swim in her eyes once more.

“Let go.” She said and gently pushed him away.

“Oh no, please. I don’t understand.”

“I’m sorry.” She whispered.

Kyuhyun closes his eyes for so long and when he reopens them, he looks broken, a man in so much pain.

“You’re right. I should let you go. I am no good for you.” He whispered.

They both stared at each other for a moment. There was a long silence between them when Sooyoung finally speaks.

“Goodbye, Kyuhyun.” She murmurs.

“Goodbye.” He says softly.

Sooyoung tear her gaze away from Kyuhyun before she change her mind and try to comfort him.

Once again, she walks away without even glancing at Kyuhyun.

Kyuhyun lean his head on the wall as he watch Sooyoung slowly disappear from his view. He didn’t even notice when tears started to fall from his eyes.

***

“Are you coming tonight at the party?”

“Do I have a choice?”

“Don’t worry dude, I got your back.”

Kyuhyun and his hyung Donghae were busy playing starcraft on their P.C. inside their dorm

“Have you met them all?” asked Kyuhyun, not taking away his eyes from the game.

“Nah. I only knew Yoona and Seohyun but Teuki hyung told me that they are all pretty,” said Donghae.

“So when will they are going to have their debut? –get away! That’s my kill!” Kyuhyun shouted as he lean so close to the monitor.

“It’s over now! –Ah. There’s no way!” Donghae tensed.

There was a silence as their game ended.

“I can’t believe I lose again!” Donghae sighed.

“Better luck next time?” Kyuhyun grinned.

“So… you’re really coming tonight?”

“Yeah I think I’ll go.”

“Great. Eunhyuk said the girls are going to have their debut next week so we’ve still got time to finish our new song.”

“Ok. I look forward to it.” Kyuhyun said.

***

Old people say time has a way of mending past wounds but it is a fact that all wounds leave a scar. Permanence is everything to a man whose life is utterly changed by extraordinary encounter with fate.

Kyuhyun had been drinking soju as he examines the faces of the people at the party. He was about to get bored of doing nothing and he thought that he shouldn’t have agreed to come here anyway that’s when Donghae approached him.

“Kyuhyun there’s someone I want you to meet” said Donghae.

Kyuhyun got his first look at the stranger –a slender girl, all dressed in sparkling night gown. At first all Kyuhyun saw was the beautiful black dress and he almost didn’t recognize her, not until his eyes reached the girl’s mind blowing beautiful face and he felt his knees numb.

It was Sooyoung.

***

Kyuhyun is still in shock when he sees Sooyoung at the party of SMTOWN. He can’t believe that Sooyoung is now a member of So Nyo Shi De. They haven’t talk for almost one year that’s why he was really surprised.

Kyuhyun and Sooyoung didn’t even talk the whole night at the party and they keep on ignoring one another in the next couple of days. Until one night, they went to a videoke bar to have a dinner with their co-memebers Yoona, Donghae, Sungmin, Yesung and Ryeowook.

“All right,” Yesung called out. “Lets us toast for So Nyo Shi De’s wonderful debut.”

They turned. Yesung was standing, holding a soju while the others sits and listens to him attentively.

“Congratulations, and good luck to all of us,” said Yesung.

All of them raised their glass and muttered “cheers” and drinks.

“Anyway, I heard Kyuhyun and Donghae are writing new songs for our next album, so… how’s it going?” asked Sungmin.

“I think it did well. You see, I was really impressed by Kyuhyun ‘cause he wrote some parts of the lyrics like the song called ‘sorry, sorry’ and I think you’re all going to like it too once we record it.” Donghae explained.

“Speaking of writing songs, did you know that our Sooyoung here also wrote our song called ‘how great is your love’, it’s really cool and we’re going to release the album next month,” said Yoona.

“That’s great! I really hope you get the no.1 spot in the MUSIC KCHART, you all worked hard and you deserve it,” said Ryeowook.

“Thank you, we hope the same for you all too,” said Yoona.

After a few stories and complimenting comments, the group started singing and while the other members were busy cheering on Yoona as she sings on a karaoke, Kyuhyun shot a half smile at Sooyoung.

“So… how long are you planning to ignore me? Aren’t you getting a little tired?” Kyuhyun whispered to Sooyoung.

Sooyoung’s lip quivered as if she were about to smile. Then she sighed.

“I’m not ignoring you, I’m just avoiding from getting the attention of others.”

“You said to me before that there’s someone you like, can I ask what’s he’s name? Are you still seeing him?” he shrugged.

Kyuhyun heard Sooyoung’s soft intake breath and she loudly cheered when it is Donghae’s turn to sing.

Kyuhyun turned toward Sooyoung, reaching for her hand not caring for the moment if someone in the room is watching them.

“Sooyoung, do you still like Donghae? Was it him?” he whispered menacingly.

She nods.

Sooyoung doesn’t really like Donghae although she admits that Donghae’s really a good looking but she doesn’t feel anything special about him, unlike how she felt about Kyuhyun.

Kyuhyun let go of her hands. Time stops at least to give him time to think, think about all the memories he shared with Sooyoung that now seemed to crystallize in his mind. This is where it all ends, he thought.

Kyuhyun had told everyone in the room if he could go home already because he really does not feel well. Everyone agreed except Sooyoung who doesn’t seemed to care at all,

Finally, he bowed and apologized to everyone and muttered goodbye as he walks out in the room.

***

“Yah unnie! What about him?”

“Ani. I don’t think so.”

“Oh.”

Sooyoung and Seohyun had been talking in their dorm about Kyuhyun’s performance on Mnet’s Asian Music Awards (MAMA) wherein Super Junior had won the ‘album of the year’ award. It’s been 2 years since Sooyoung and Kyuhyun had their last conversation and they haven’t talk to each other since then.

“You don’t think he’s great at all?” ask Seohyun.

“Aniya. I mean… he’s all right but I think Jong woon did better.” Sooyoung sighed.

“I think he’s not that bad either but honestly, I like Kyuhyun’s voice than Jong Woon.

“I see, could you teach me again the dance steps that we rehearsed yesterday? I’ve forgotten some of the steps.”

"Why do I get the feeling that every time we talk about Kyuhyun, you always change the topic immediately?”

“I don’t…”

“I think you do.”

“Aniya, it’s just that… I’m not comfortable talking about him.”

“And why is that?”

“Moleugesseo… Maybe I just find him intimidating that’s all.

“Well… once you get to know him, maybe you’ll change your mind. He’s really kind and very gentleman, you know that and I think his girlfriend is so lucky to have him.” Seohyun smiled.

“What do you mean? Kyuhyun has a girlfriend?” ask Sooyoung, confused.

“That’s what he told me. I saw him in a restaurant, you see, but it was so long ago, maybe it was before you came in SME. Anyway, I ask him what was he doing there and he told that he’s waiting for his girlfriend. He looked so happy back then. His girlfriend is lucky indeed.”

"Was the restaurant called ‘Happy Treats’?”

 “That’s right. How did you know?”

Sooyoung can’t believe for a moment. So it was Seohyun whom she saw with Kyuhyun that day where she was supposed to meet him. The news was a shock to her.

“Do you… by any chance… like him?” asked Sooyoung.

“Mwoh! Of course not, he’s just like a brother to me. Why do you say so?” Seohyun can’t help but to laughed.

“Amugotdo… I just… I think I saw you two on that restaurant before. I saw you kissed him.”

“Oh that… ani… it was just a friendly kiss. I congratulate him on his debut and thanked him at the same time because he introduced me to Ryeowook oppa, he was the one I really like.” Seohyun giggled. “Oh no I feel so embarrassed right now.”

“So you don’t like him?” said Sooyoung.

“Ani. Why are you so suddenly interested with Kyuhyun?”

“Not really… I was just –hang on I almost forgot, there’s something I have to do. I’ll see you later ok? Bye,” said Sooyoung.

The truth is… she’s going to see Kyuhyun. All those years, she realized how foolish she was trying to stay away from him.

Before Seohyun could talk, Sooyoung was already outside the door.

***

Sooyoung hurriedly went to her car and drove to the recording studio where Kyuhyun’s at. While driving, she makes a turn towards a tunnel when she didn’t notice the rider of a motorcycle rushing in her direction. She tried to avoid of getting hit by it so she makes a turn to her left side. She thought she stomped on the brake in time but it was too late, the car hits a tree.

Slowly, her vision blurs… darkness closes in. Darkness consumes her. From far away she could hear cars... brakes… doors… shouting… running… footsteps.

But in her mind, all she could hear is Kyuhyun’s voice calling out her name.

Sooyoung.

***

Sooyoung open her eyes and found herself lying on a bed in the hospital. She turned her head and saw Kyuhyun asleep, sitting beside her, leaning on the bed with his head on his folded arms.

Kyuhyun startles awake when he suddenly felt something moved. He raised his head immediately as he saw Sooyoung finally awake.

“Hi,” Sooyoung’s voice was rough.

“Oh Sooyoung… I was so worried.” Kyuhyun’s voice trembled but he felt relieved.

“What happened?” ask Sooyoung as she felt pain everywhere.

“The media found you and they brought you here. You’re in the news everywhere; people are asking what your condition is. The doctor said you hit your head so badly but it’s ok now. You’re safe now. You’re ok.” Kyuhyun calmed himself.

Sooyoung just stayed quiet.

“Bangbeobeun?” ask Kyuhyun.

“Sore.” She responds.

“Do you want anything?”

“Just water.”

 Kyuhyun gets a glass of water and then gave it to Sooyoung. After she drinks there was silence in the room.

“Where are the others?” she bursts out at the break of silence.

“Your group mates are all in Japan now for their world tour concert, I told them I’ll make a call once you’re awake. Your family is on their way too. I asked our manager if I could stay here and watched over you since I don’t have anything else to do so he told me I could,” said Kyuhyun.

Once again, there was an awkward silence between them.

The world stops for a moment when Sooyoung gazes into Kyuhyun’s eyes once more. This is the entire world for Kyuhyun… the entire world he ever want to see. Her eyes take him away to a place of delight.

“I still love you Sooyoung,” his words fumble as he breaks the deafening silence. “Do you remember when I told you before that I thought I dreamt about you kissing me?”

“Mmm,” she breathes.

It was quiet for a long moment, just the beating of their hearts.

“It felt like this.” Kyuhyun close his eyes and kissed her lips… lips which are no longer his. He held her close to him and he could feel the warmth of her arms against his.

Sooyoung finally whispers to Kyuhyun’s ears, “I love you so much and I always will. I was wrong; I shouldn’t have pushed you away when I know I’m still in love with you. You’re always here in my heart.”

Is this love… this sad beautiful tragic love still has a chance?

The night hides its light. It won’t end. The day refuses to end. All Kyuhyun have is this day. Everything ends today. Sooyoung might die when this day ends.