Like the Wind

The Beauty of Ugliness

The second the scream left my mouth, the book I was holding, slipped out of my fingers and tumbled down to the ground with a thud that fell to deaf ears.

I couldn't seem to hear anything other than the pounding of my rapid heartbeat. I was paralyzed and numb. I couldn't breathe. I couldn't think. I couldn’t do anything but watch as the boy looked to his left, startled by the deafening honk coming from that bus, and as his quick footsteps faltered to a stop.

My expression mirrored his exactly. I stood there, rooted to that spot, shocked and terrified. I wanted so badly to look away, but the scene I was witnessing right in front of me was too horrifying to turn away from.

I was the type of person whose mind would blank at all the wrong times. But maybe it was because I wasn't thinking that made my body move on it's own, running like the wind, across the small road, towards the boy. I had desperately hoped to reach him in time to push him out of harm's way.

I will never forget how frightened I was on my way to him and his terrified face is something that still haunts me even today. His small face was rigid with fear. I can't even begin to imagine how it would feel to be standing right in front of a huge vehicle that was coming at me straight on, and yet, that was the exact situation that the boy was placed in.

I heard the bus tires squeal as it tried to force itself to brake, and swerve, but I had believed that avoiding a collision would be impossible. Me, risking myself to save that boy might've just worsened the incident. If things went wrong, there could've been two dead bodies lying side by side instead of just one.

However, on that day, fate proved me incorrect. In a situation like that, though, I was more than happy to be wrong. Because of the incident, I realized that there’s always a chance to change fate, and that, that little boy was given the chance.

In the split second before the impact came, I clearly remember something shift in the atmosphere.

The air suddenly became charged with electricity, and the sky seemed to have darkened a shade.

In that moment, I felt adrenaline pulse through my veins, and I dove forward, taking the boy in my arms. Together, we cleared the bus just in the nick of time as it screeched to a halt, rolling over the place we had just been.

I recall twisting my body around so that the boy was on top, and landing hard on my back, the breath getting knocked out of me. I had lain there like that, wheezing, and trying to breathe as the kid on top of me began to cry, breaking the silence that the world had enveloped me in.

His fists were clenched as if he was holding something but at the time, I thought nothing of it. I clutched the sobbing boy in my arms and lifted him up shakily, but with ease.

After all the time I had spent with kids, I had become accustomed to their weight. However, I didn't feel the searing pain on the left side of my back until I heard all the bystanders start to rush towards us and the sound of a bus door opening. People crowded around us, asking if we were okay and if we needed to go to a hospital. Everyone's voices merged together, creating a loud drone that annoyed me to no end.

It was so loud, I couldn't even hear myself think. The bus driver was especially noisy. She examined the boy from head to toe to see if he was hurt anywhere, gasping, and apologizing profusely.

Because of them, the kid I was carrying was starting to cry harder as I brought him back to the edge of safety, where Min Hee was standing. When I finally reached the end of the road, I turned back to the crowd. I couldn't take it anymore, and shouted for them to shut up. A hush fell over the crowd.

I was usually a soft spoken girl unless I was around kids, but those people were irritating. I appreciated their concern, but there's always a limit to everything. I remember breathing out a sigh of relief when they became silent, and I sank down to the hard ground gently.

I looked the boy in the eye and smiled at him, resisting the urge to fuss like everyone else. What so many people don't realize is that if you approached a kid who had gotten injured, and start yelling at them for being clumsy or freaking out and shouting if they're okay, it would just scare them more. If you were calm and collected, the kid would feel safe and calm down too.

At that moment however, the little boy wasn’t the only frightened kid around. I remember looking back at Min Hee, who had picked up my fallen book. Seeing her scared, confused face, I beckoned her closer with my hand and I asked, "Min Hee, what's his name?" I her head reassuringly.

"His name? H-Hyun Soo..." Looking back down, I gave the boy another small shaky grin. "Hyun Soo, are you okay?" I asked softly.

Hyun Soo nodded, and tried standing up but his trembling legs gave out underneath him. Though he had calmed down a bit, big, fat tears were still sliding down his face. "Why did you want to cross the road? Where are your parents?"

Hyun Soo hiccupped and looked over at the small girl beside me. "M-Min Hee..." I watched as his closed fist unfolded, revealing an object I recognized as Min Hee's most treasured bracelet. I heard a sharp gasp behind me. 

"I couldn't f-find the babysitter and you were leaving. I... I didn't know what to do so I ran after you, and–" Hyun Soo broke off mid sentence as he started sobbing, the memory hitting him all over again.

"Shhh... You’re okay now." I rocked him gently, brushing away his tears with my right thumb. I took the bracelet from Hyun Soo and gave it to Min Hee. "Noona will go take you for ice cream and then we can go back to the park and try to find your babysitter, okay?" Hyun Soo nodded and I grunted as I lifted him up again with one arm, the pain on my back forgotten.

With my free hand, I grabbed Min Hee's chubby fingers and we proceeded to walk to the café as if the "interruption" had never happened. I amazed myself on that day. I was fascinated at how I was smiling instead of breaking down and crying along with him.

Never in a million years could I imagine myself diving in front of a bus to save a child from certain death. I was the type of person who never had the guts to confess to a guy, let alone risk my life. And to think that everything started just because of a bracelet...

A/N:

No, it is not the end yet even if it kinda seems like it! The male idol will appear in about one or two chapters, so be patient, guys.