Darkness

Darkness

Luhan and Sehun were extremely close as brothers. After their parents died, all they had were each other as they were ostracised from their village. No one took pity on the two boys who had lost everything, and the two boys were forced to do whatever they had to do to survive. They lived in a small run-down hut on the edge of the village, it was falling apart since there was no one to look after the building but nonetheless it was home.  

The hatred for the two boys grew since they were forced to steal from the villagers, anything it meant to survive. But that didn’t matter because they had each other. It didn’t matter who they stole from, the villagers were all the same after all.

So Luhan had no problem grabbing a bag from an old man and his daughter and running ahead with Sehun following shortly behind him. The girl shouted something at them but her words fell on deaf ears as the two boys ran back to their home.

Luhan rummaged through the bag, pouting slightly as there was nothing of value in the bag.

“There’s nothing worthwhile in here,” he tutted. “Poor bastards. This was such a waste.”

Sehun rummaged through the bag and pulled out a small jar of powder, he looked at it curiously before turning to Luhan.

“Hyung, is this medicine?” he asked.

“Throw it away,” Luhan replied airily, is was of no use to them after all.

“Will he be alright without this medicine?” pondered Sehun thoughtfully. “Will that old man die?”

Luhan kicked the bag in frustration.

“Is that it?” he grumbled. “And it’s fine if he dies. He’s already a senile old man. It’s not like he’s going to live long anyway.”

Luhan look over at Sehun, then his eyes widened and he lurched forward, his hand lifting up the others bangs that covered his forehead. A purple bruise adorned the younger brother’s forehead and Luhan looked angry.

“What happened!?”

“Junmyeon’s appa threw a stone at me,” Sehun replied, never one to lie to his older brother.

“That piece of !” yelled Luhan furiously as he stood up angrily.

“Hyung?” Sehun looked up at Luhan with large eyes.

Luhan grabbed the jar of medicine and threw it angrily across the room, the jar smashing into pieces as it hit the stone floor.

“It’s not just that old man,” Luhan grumbled through gritted teeth, his hands curled up into fists and shaking angrily beside him.

“Everyone… Everyone… Should just die! Once eomma and appa died everyone treated us like burdens. They should die.”

Luhan’s face contorted into a twisted smile.

“All of them! Everything! Annihilated!”

Sehun stood up from his position on the ground, and walked over to Luhan before wrapping his arms around his older brother from behind him, hugging him tightly.

“I hope your wish comes true, hyung,” he murmured lovingly. “If it’s you, you’ll make it come true. I know you will.”

Sehun let go and Luhan turned around to face him. Sehun smiled back at him brightly.

“You can eat three pies at once! And you can run faster than anyone I know! Hyung does everything the best! No one is better than hyung!”

Sehun ran around the room excitedly, and leaped onto the box that sat in the corner. He beamed at Luhan, jumping around happily.

“That’s right! Hyung is so great he can make any wish come true!”

“Sehun, listen.” Luhan put his hands on his hips looking over at Sehun. “Don’t leave my side anymore. I’ll throw a hundred pieces of horse at everyone who throws stones at us. You got it?”

Sehun leaped down and kneeled down in front of his brother like a loyal servant would to his king.

“Yes, your highness,” he whispered, and then smiled up at his brother, his eyes shining brightly.

 

That night, the two boys went to the river to collect some water. Luhan knelt down but as he looked into the water, he noticed something floating along. Looking a little closer he soon released it was a hand he was looking at. Looking along the river, he noticed more bodies floating along from the village. Their eyes all wide open, but empty, whatever life was in them had been out. Forgetting about the water, the two boys ran to the village as fast as they could. Buildings were burning and the villagers that had tried to run from the burning horror were lying dead on the streets. Not a single living thing moved.

“They’re dead. The old man, the bread seller who threw a stone at you…” Luhan began.

“And the old lady who threw garbage away in our house…?” Sehun asked.

“And the disgusting minister who spits!” Luhan laughed maniacally.

“And the man who bragged about his sweets…?”

“All those who bullied us and were angry with us, they’re all dead! They’re really dead!” Luhan exclaimed happily. “Everyone, everything, totally annihilated!”

“Annihilated!” repeated Sehun, smiling at his brother’s happiness.

The two of them began laughing and running around happily, not at all concerned about the burning village and dead residents. Sehun looked at Luhan adoringly, happy that his older brother’s wish came true. When Luhan had managed to calm down a little, the two separated ways so they could collect the personal belongings of the villagers. They wouldn’t need them after all – they were dead. Luhan happily snatched a necklace of pearls from a rich woman, and raided the pockets of the men, whatever he could get – it was now his. Everything was his, and those that were ever mean to them were now dead.

 

A sudden cold wind swept throughout the village and Luhan shuddered, looking though the darkness with worry etched over his face.

“Sehun, let’s head back soon!” he called out. “Sehun?”

He walked through the darkness of the village, away from the flames that were beginning to die down. Over in the distance Sehun lay on the ground.

“Sehun! You were you over here?” Luhan happily made his way over to his younger brother, “Even though I called you, over and over again…”

Luhan pulled the younger boy into his arms. Sehun’s eyes were wide open and his body rigid. Luhan’s smile began to fade from his face.

“S-Sehun…? You… You couldn’t be… dead?”

He waved his hand in front of Sehun’s eyes but there was no response, the younger boy remained still in Luhan’s arms.

“No…NO!” Luhan yelled, his voice cracking as his eyes began to fill with tears. He pulled his younger brother closer, tightening his arms around him.

“Don’t leave me alone, please!” Luhan shouted, tears streaking his cheeks. “PLEASE!”

Luhan was alone though, no matter how much he clung to the younger, or how much he cried, his younger brother who he shared his happiness with was now gone from his life. Gone… forever.

 

It was dark…

Dark without a single ray of moonlight…

Luhan had lost the one person that had meant everything to him.

He was alone in the dark.