Chapter Two: Blooms...

Wisteria Perfume

                He groaned and gently banged his head against the counter of the mechanic’s shop he was currently slumped over. When the mechanic, Mr. Choi, swung by with the bill Himchan, without lifting his head, merely held out his credit card. It wasn’t terribly expensive to fix the starter in the van, but what had Himchan frustrated was the timing.

                “Sorry kid, it’s going to take a week for your new starter to come in,” Mr. Choi said to Himchan after the van was looked over.

                So much for their trip.

                After finding Yongguk they agreed to head out in the morning to the town. It had been late and the two oldest both decided it would be best to let their youngers sleep.

                “In any case, why are you out here?” Himchan asked Yongguk while they were walking back through the woods to rejoin the others, “something could have happened and we wouldn’t have known.”

                Yongguk remained silent and Himchan wanted to scream at him for ignoring his question. He paused and grabbed Yongguk by the shoulder only to hold his tongue in check. The elder looked troubled and confused. His mouth opened once, twice, and finally he spoke, looking at Himchan with tired eyes.

                “To tell the truth,” he wavered, seemingly unsure, “the last thing I remember is meeting you on the ridge…”

                Himchan furrowed his brow, still leaning on the counter and waiting for the man to finish charging his card. Despite trying to press Yongguk for information, his friend seemed at a loss. Yongguk wasn’t one to normally do foolish things or play games, especially if it was something that would cause the rest of them to worry. That was one thing Himchan could count on.

                To be on the safe side he had them take Yongguk to the town doctor, just to be sure. Perhaps the blow to his head was more serious than they thought.

                “Okay kid, here you go,” Himchan accepted the card back, “so, how many of you boys are there?”

                “Six.”

                “I imagine you kids need some place to stay while you wait. We don’t have an official motel here, but,” Mr. Choi fished around behind the counter for a pen and paper.

                “Yeah…but hey, one second,” Himchan interrupted him, “are you certain it’s the starter? The van didn’t click or-“

                “Boy, don’t tell me my stuff. You have a bad starter. Now, it’ll take a week-“

                “But-“

                “One week,” the mechanic said, handing Himchan a slip of paper, “and I’ll even put you up in my guest house, you and your lot. You’ll be here in time for the Flower Festival.”

                “Flower Festival?”

                “Every few years the locals around here celebrate the ‘historic blooming of the ancient tree planted by our founder and overrun by wisteria’. We just call it the Flower Festival. Really it’s just a time for young’uns to flirt with each other. You know, like Valentine’s day or white day,” Mr. Choi glanced at Himchan again, “you said six right? Maybe one of you will get lucky. We have lots of pretty girls here. You seem like a nice lad, my own daughter you see-“

                “Oh, sorry, I have to take this call. Thanks again!” He was out of the shop in an instant, holding his phone up to his ear to mimic answering his phone. Once he was sure he was out of sight, Himchan out the phone away.

                It wasn’t like he was against the idea of a pretty girl, but he definitely didn’t want to get ered into this town. He had nothing against small towns, but this place was…well, he wouldn’t say weird, but something felt a little off. And he definitely had no intentions of being here longer than they had to be.

                A sudden, strong waft of something fragrant crept up on him. He paused.

                It smelled like the wisteria he smelled the previous night.

                “Hey!” He heard Daehyun call out. Across the street, near a flower vendor was Daehyun with Youngjae. They had to-go bags of what Himchan assumed was food. Both looked like they were munching on fishcakes.

                “How’s Yongguk?” He asked them after crossing the street.

                “Doc says he’s fine,” Youngjae responded, reaching into the bag to get a wrapped fish cake for Himchan, “few stiches, nothing serious. How’s the van?”

                “We can talk about it with everyone else-“

                “Well, you are certainly a handsome trio,” the elderly woman working the flower stand smiled at them, “passing through? Are you here for the festival? Looking for a wife?”  At their surprised response she merely laughed before motioning to her flowers, “tell you what, do me the honor of being the first to give you boys a flower. Pick whatever you like.”

                “Why would we want flowers?” Youngjae asked while Daehyun and Himchan inspected the blooms on display.

                “During the festival girls give flowers to boys they like, or at least fancy a little. If a girl is lucky, a boy will reciprocate these feelings and on the last day give them a kiss in return. Don’t worry, I don’t expect you to kiss me,” she laughed again. However her laughed died and she smacked Daehyun’s hand when he reached up to touch some pale purple flowers hanging over her head, “ah, ah! Those are special. You only give the wisteria to a boy you want to be yours forever,” instead she found a few daisies and handed them to them, “they grow rampant around here, it’s kind of a village mascot in a way. Ah! I have customers! Off you go!”

                They walked a few steps away in time for a group of girls to come running up to the flower stand, speaking to the woman excitedly. One looked to them shyly before turning and giggling.

                “Strange town. How soon before we can leave?” Youngjae asked Himchan while they walked back to the clinic they’d taken Yongguk to.

                Himchan wasn’t really paying attention. He was having chills despite it being summer and the middle of the day. It almost felt like someone was watching them. While he knew those girls were still stealing glances at them, giggling like the school girls they were, he was sure it wasn’t them he was feeling. Uneasily he glanced around. There was no one else, so why did he feel so ill at ease?

                The scent of the flower stand flitted around them once again.

                And that’s when someone threw their arms around his waist.

~~~

                Yongguk could only stare out the window, mouth agape. While waiting for Himchan to return he’d gone to the window of the clinic to get some air. Junhong and Jongup were outside goofing off (dancing around and trying to outdo the other). Touching his bandaged head gingerly he had opened the window. Immediately his nostrils were assaulted by the smell of flowers. That’s when he saw it: laid on the window seal was a branch of wisteria flowers. He recognized the purple flowers as matching the petal he’d seen the previous night. It seemed like the flowers had been placed there deliberately.

                He reached out to touch the flower but stopped.

                Don’t.

                “Yongguk?” A voice he hadn’t anticipated called to him.

                Jieun gasped when he turned to see her and rushed to him. She reached out to check his head, concern written all over her face. Yongguk was still stunned at her appearance. How had she known to find him here? More importantly, why was she here?

                “We just got here not too long ago. We stopped to get some things and ran into the others. Hana scared the life out of Himchan when she hugged him. It was really funny,” she giggled, “then Himchan told us you were hurt. What happened?”

                Yongguk tried not to stumble over his words. Her fingers were still gently grazing his forehead. She tilted her head to the side slightly, waiting for him to answer. That move made his heart thud a little harder and he found it growing increasingly warm in the room. Stammering an apology, he looked to his feet, trying rather unsuccessfully to convince himself he wasn’t embarrassed.

                SLAM.

                Both jumped in start at the sudden sound of the window shutting hard. Yongguk looked towards the window and raised his brows in confusion.

                The flowers were gone.

                “Everything okay?” She asked again.

                “Yeah,” he replied quietly, “are you wearing any perfume by any chance?” The floral fragrance seemed to intensify with Jieun’s appearance. He first thought it was the flowers, but it seemed too strong to be that.

                “No. Why? Do I smell bad?” She responded quickly, looking upset and embarrassed.

                “N-No! Not at all!” He stuttered until she gently took his hand, smiling sweetly at him, “Ji-Jieun…?”

                “Come on. Let’s meet Himchan and the others. Maybe we can all pile into our car and make it to the campsite afterall?” Her hopefulness made Yongguk smile a little. Quietly nodding he allowed her to lead him out to meet the others.

                “A week?” Hyosung asked in disbelief to which Himchan nodded, “well I guess you’re lucky you were stopped so close to this town. It’s not even on the GPS.”

                “We’re lucky you found us.”

                “But this is a cute town. Even the name of this festival is adorable,” Sunhwa added, looking about excitedly, “can we explore a bit before heading out? Didn’t the lady we asked directions from say they were going to have a dance or something tonight?”

                “A bonfire,” Hana corrected her, “though I believe she did say something about them dancing around it.”

                “Look! They’re holding hands!” Daehyun suddenly blurted out, pointing dramatically.

~~~

                Having decided they would stay for the evening and head out in the morning, Jieun watched the flames dance out from the large bonfire in front of them. It seemed like almost everyone in the town was gathered. Along with food, the girls were giving out flower wreaths to the boys present. Every boy received one except for Jieun’s friends. Clearly it was for the locals. However the townsfolk seemed warm and inviting regardless, offering them food and drink, inviting them to dance as well once the music started.

                Wondering idly about the tradition of giving flowers to a boy you liked, she toyed with a white flower she’d found on the ground. The tradition still going through her mind, Jieun then looked around for Yongguk. He looked like he was talking with Junhong about something, laughing and smiling that adorable smile she’d grown very fond of.

                She took a deep breath and stood, flower in hand. However before she could take a step Yongguk looked off into the distance. Junhong said something else to him, but the older didn’t seem to hear. Instead he began to walk away. The youngest of them followed for a moment before stopping his pursuit and scratching his head in confusion. Shaking it off, he continued after Yongguk until the pair vanished into the woods.

                Jieun ran after them. Why would they be going into the woods at night? They could get lost.

                “Where’s he going?” She asked herself, “Junhong! Yongguk!” She called out to them after reaching the edge of the woods, “Hey!”

                When she received no response Jieun went in after them. After walking for a couple of minutes she was regretting not having the foresight to bring a light. The woods were dark, darker than it simply being night would infer. This was getting her nowhere. She fumbled around in the darkness, calling out to the two boys. Despite the warm summer air, Jieun only felt chills the deeper she went into the forest.

                “This is silly,” muttering to herself, Jieun turned around, intent on going back and getting help from the others. To her surprise the path she had taken was no longer there. She couldn’t see the light from the bonfire anymore. How far had she gone?

                “Anyone?” She called out again, “Junhong! Yongguk!”

                Something snapped behind her.

                “Junhong?” Her voice asked. Another SNAP came from near her. Finally feeling a little annoyed, Jieun was ready to give the person a piece of her mind. What she saw when she turned made her scream louder than ever before.

                A woman, little more than a rotting corpse, was coming upon her, arms outstretched. Her eyes were wide and vacant, lacking any pupils, and was hanging open, her jaw looking broken. She moved faster than Jieun could react her fingers barely grazed Jieun’s arm, causing the girl to scream in pain. It felt like millions of needles went into her amr.

                …mine…

                Jieun was off in another moment. The tree branches whipped across her face, drawing blood and more cries from her. Whatever that thing was, Jieun knew she couldn’t let it catch her. It felt wrong, evil even. Without looking she knew the mangled woman was behind her.

                …mine…

                She moved as fast as she could, stumbling a few times over the roots in the forest floor. It wasn’t until she tried to go under a low hanging branch that she managed to lose her step. She fell to the ground, barely catching herself lest she break her nose.

                ...mine…

                And that’s when she felt those cold fingers curl around her neck.

                The next moment she was being shaken firmly by Junhong. Screaming in surprise, Jieun shoved Junhong away and scrambled back to her feet. Junhong caught her by the wrist once again, preventing her from running.

                “Stop! It’s me!”

                His voice stopped her from going any further. Blinking once, twice, three times, Jieun felt her body relax. The faint light from the bonfire was present once again and the woods didn’t seem as dark and menacing. She looked to Junhong.

                “Sorry…what happened?”

                “I was running around looking for Yongguk when I saw you just standing there. I called out a few times but you didn’t respond. Have you seen him by any chance?”

                “No, not since…hey!” Jieun spotted some movement and instantly was running after it, putting the incident she experience aside for the time being.

                “Yongguk!” She finally recognized the person she’d been seeking, “Wait!” She was running through the woods again, the branches whipping past her. In the back of her mind, Jieun still felt like something was chasing her. Part of her figured it was Junhong, but another part of her, that irrational scared part of her, thought of a corpse whispering ‘mine’ over and over.

                “Yong-oof!” The words didn’t finish. She’d turned around a tree and literally ran right into Yongguk’s back. Unlike her, he didn’t move or flinch. He was staring ahead soundlessly.

                “Hey!” Junhong called to them, bounding up breathlessly, “what the hell man? What’s gotten into you?”

                Yongguk simply inclined his head ahead of him.

                Crashed into a tree, down into a ditch, was Hyosung’s car.

               

 

A/N: Warning! Written in the wee hours of the night. Let me know if any of my readers want a particular character's perspective. ^^