A World's Apart

A World's Apart (One Shot)

Young Saeng remembered his friend Jean, who he hadn't seen for 10 years.

Talking to himself, "Hey Jean, how are you? How is my little Miz Piggy? hahahaha I bet you are a fox.  When are you coming home?" 

 

The past :

Jean, a six year old girl, was red eyed trying not to cry.

"Omma, why do I have to go to the states?  Why can't I stay here and study? Appa, please! I'd like to stay here!" Looking at one parent to the next. "I don't like to leave. . . I'll be all alone there. . . I don't have any friends there. . . And . . and I don't know how to speak English. . .  I'll be so dumb and foolish there. "

"Jean this is for your own good and we have already decided on this, and you can make new friends there it is not hard for you to make friends, and I know you can easily learn how to speak English."

"But Appa. . ." Tears were now running down her face  freely.

"Jean . . .you can do this..I know you can . . You are very intelligent and very talented. . that is why we are sending you."

Whispered  in a broken voice . . . "I don't want to go!"  She ran to her room, and her heart beating so fast.

 

Jean called her friend Jeon, a 10 year old boy,  on the phone.

 "Annyong! Jean."   

 "Annyong! Jeon."

"Jeon . . "

"What is wrong Jean?. . . Are you alright?"

"Jeon . . "

"Are you crying?"

"Jeon . . . They are sending me to the states!"

"What?. . What did you say?" He was surprised by what Jean had said.

"Jeon. . . " She was crying, "I don't want to go! But they already have decided!"

He was listening to her while biting his lower lip. He did not know what to say to her, he was tongue tide. He was about  to loose his childhood friend and he did not know what  to say.

She was crying and talked some more, and told him her woes and he listened to everything she was saying and answered her only in few word.
 

 

The next day at the park . . .

Jeon walked to Jean, who was seated at the swing. "Annyong!" He went and sat on the swing next to her.

"Annyong!"  Looked up at him, and then looked down at her feet, who was still feeling and looking so gloomy.

He did not know what to say to her, so he just sat there and started slowly swinging and slightly pushing his body.  Looked at her then back at his feet from time to time.  Then . . he reached out and took her hand and held it not saying anything, but continued to slighlty swing his body.  They were like that for awhile.

After awhile . . he thought . .  'This is my last moments with her . . she will be flying to the States soon . . I don't want her to be so sad . . I don't want to remember her this way..' He spoke to her, "Let's go and have something to eat, my treat."

She was quiet.

"Come on . . I'm hungry . . you would not let me go hungry, would you?"

Jean looked up at  Jeon and saw him pouting slightly.

"Please . . Jean . ."

She was thinking, 'He is cute even when he pouts . . I'm going to miss him . .  this is my only time I'm going to be with him. . ' She agreed, and answered, "Let's go!  . . I'm getting hungry, too." And she thought, 'I'm going to spent as much time as I can with him . . and try to remember him . . so when I'm all alone . . '

 

They went  to a fast food restaurant and ordered noodles.

"You look so funny eating noodles, Jeon . . . hahahahaha. . you're like a pig . . hahahaha . . and there is no one after your food. . Come on . . stop slurping like that . .stop  making those noises. . hahahaha"

"Ooh, Yah! Look who is speaking . . you are more of a pig than me . . at least I'm a piglet compared to you . . "

"YAh! What do mean by that  . . " And started hitting him at the arm, and he tried to block her moves.

"Hey stop it!. . are you really a girl . . you are so strong . . I'll be all bruised tomorrow. . So stop it!"

"Yah! What are you saying now pig . . that I'm a boy! Yah! I'm gonna get you for that!" And hit him really strong at the arm.

"Hahahaha You are not a boy  . . but an amazon!! hahahaha" Still blocking each hit.

"Yaah, you monster! Take that back!"

" hahahaha No way! "

They continue to bicker and laugh . .

 

When they came out of the restaurant after their meal. Jeon saw a machine with toys in them. "Hey, wait. Let's see if we can get a toy."

"I don't think you can, you're so clamsy."

"Watch me." He looked for coins in his pocket for the machine, and when he had the right amount, he tried the machine. His first few tries were a miss.

"See  I told you. You're too clamsy with that kind of machine you'll never going to get any toy."

He was pouting and concentrated more in what he was doing. He brought out more coins and tried again. After awhile, "THERE! GOT ONE! hahahaha"

"OOOOOOHHH THAT IS SO GOOD! YOU DID IT!! hahahaha You are good after all. "

Jeon was smiling shipishly with a dimple showing, took the toy from the machine and handed it to Jean.

"ooooohhh This is mine?" She was blushing.

"Yes"

"Thanks Jeon, i don't know what to say."

Jeon was smiling.