The First Lie

Lie to Me

No one would have suspected that the couple sitting at the corner of the busy café were actually famous hallyu stars. Her pretty face hidden behind sunglasses so large you’d think the sun was shining directly at her. His handsome features concealed behind a disposable surgical mask, faking coughs every so often to sell the disguise.

He wasn’t really sick though. He was actually in perfect health. Depression isn’t really physical illness, but the pain he felt at the moment felt worse than a bone fracture… He was heartbroken.

“Have you known?”

Jessica Jung should have said no. She should have shaken her head when she couldn’t speak. She should have kept silent when she couldn’t move. But she didn’t. When Ok Taecyeon met her in their favourite coffee shop to confront her about the news of Tiffany and Nichkhun, she found the opportunity to get what she always wanted.

“Yes, oppa,” She lied, her hands shaking as she reached for him. “Fany has been with Khun-oppa for a while now.”

“Why didn’t you tell me Sica?” He asked, moving away from her touch. “You knew how I felt about her, and you let her string me along like a goof.”

“S-she asked me not to.” She lied again. “I’m sorry, oppa. You know she’s my best friend!”

Taecyeon sighed, blinking back all the tears that threatened to fall. He knew that he could not argue with her excuse. That is what best friends do. You cover each other’s asses up, and be happy for each other. Something that he should struggle to do for Khun. He is his best friend, after all.

“She never liked you that way, Taecyeon.” Jessica said, the lies coming naturally now. “Not the way she liked Khunnie.”

Yes, that was a lie. She knew that Tiffany didn’t like Nichkhun. She doesn’t know where the news came from, or why both their agencies confirmed that they were dating. But she knew that they really weren’t. She knew that there was only one person that Tiffany liked—no, not like—loved! And he was sitting across her right now.

---

When Jessica came home, the girls told her that Tiffany had been cooped up in her room, refusing to let anyone in—even Taeyeon. They had been anxious for her return in hopes that she would be able to coax her out of solitary confinement.

The guilt that Jessica felt grew as Tiffany opened the door for her. But when the younger girl asked how her rendezvous with Taecyeon went, she lied again.

“He believes it Fany-ah,” Jessica told the girl that lay motionless on the bed in front of her. “Taecyeon-oppa thinks it’s true.”

Tiffany lifted her head to look at the older girl, eyes puffy from crying. Her lips trembled as tears threatened to spill again.

“Is that why he has been avoiding my calls?” She asked, the sentence interjected with sobs.

“N-no, Fany,” she stammered, thinking of how to console her best friend despite her lies. “He said he’s actually very happy for you and Khun. But he’s scared Khunnie would be jealous.”

Tiffany sobbed harder. “Why would he believe that? I… I thought we had an understanding of some sort.”

“I… I asked about that too but he said that we misunderstood.” Jessica replied, avoiding eye contact. “He said you and him were only platonic.”

“Oh.” Tiffany remained quiet after that, not knowing how to deal with the heartbreak.

The room remained silent. Jessica watched as Tiffany tried to compose herself. She didn’t dare touch the younger girl in fear of caving in. She couldn’t feel guilty now. There was no turning back.

They very uncomfortable silence was broken by the shrill ring of Tiffany’s phone. Seeing it as an escape, Jessica gave Tiffany’s shoulder an awkward pat before excusing herself as she answered her phone.

---

When the news of her night out with Nichkhun reached Jin Young Park, he saw it as an opportunity to mask Nichkhun’s recent bad press with good news. And nothing could be better than dating one of reigning k-pop queens.

Tiffany wanted to say no. But when Nichkhun called to beg, she just couldn’t say no.

 “Fany, please say yes.” He pleaded for the nth time. “My career is at stake. If… If I don’t get good press anytime soon, it might be the end of 2PM!”

Tiffany gasped. “That can’t be true, oppa.” She asked, “It can’t be that bad.”

“If I am forced to quit, I will be the second quitter in our group.” Khun explained exasperatedly, “That would hurt the popularity ratings of the remaining members. We haven’t had hits recently, it would be so much harder to recover.”

She paced around her room, biting her nails in hesitation. She immediately thought of Taecyeon. She knew how hard he worked to be where he is: the sacrifices, the struggles. She didn’t want him to lose everything… Even if it meant losing him for good.

“All right, Khun,” She sighed, tears falling again as she thought of the consequences. “I’ll do it.”

He sighed in relief. But instead of expressing his gratitude right away, he paused

“I—I know you like Taec.” He started carefully, not wanting to offend her. “I can tell him we’re just pretending. You know, so he can…”

Tiffany chuckled sadly and shook her head. “No, Khunnie. It won’t matter.” She replied bitterly as she remembered Jessica’s words, “Besides, the less who knows, the better, right?”

Nichkhun agreed and thanked her profusely. After the call ended, she cried herself to sleep.