An Unforgettable Prom Night

An Unforgettable Prom Night

                He could not believe he would do that. Why did he accept this bet in the first place? He knew he could not win it yet he accepted and here he was now, in a corner of the dancing room, covered in shame as he was sitting on a chair with a dress on. A girly sky blue dress!

                Kevin was playing nervously with the long light brown hair of his wig. Everybody was giving him amused looks, whispering things between each other. Some girls were scanning him from head to toe, a hint of jealousy in their eyes.

                He had to admit he totally looked like a real girl. His skinny body fitted the dress perfectly, and the bit of make-up he had put on was emphasizing the fineness of his features. His eyeliner was giving him the Bambi look and his light lipstick was making his lips look even softer than usual. His entire appearance could have made any girl jealous.

                God only knew how much he hated his body. He would have given anything to look manlier, not to have such a girly face. It had always been a big issue for him, even if he had never said so. He was usually laughing with the others when they were friendly putting him on, pretending it was nothing, as if he was not caring when it was actually destroying any piece of self-confidence he had inside.

 

 

                Kevin suddenly felt a presence next to him, cutting his trail of thoughts right away. His best friend was there, standing straight next to him in a well-cut black suit with a coordinated bow-tie.

                -Kiseop, would you mind exchanging clothes with me?

                -Come on Kevin, you know I won’t look as good as you with it, Kiseop answered with a light chuckle.

                -Yeah, for sure, Kevin said bitterly, sighing as he turned his gaze to the room which was slowly filling up.

                -Don’t worry Kev’, it’s only for a few hours, it’ll be over soon.

                -Well you’re not the one whose prom night is ruined because of a stupid bet.

                -I’m sure it’s gonna get better.

                Kevin looked up at Kiseop, a bit surprised. Did he just say it with a hint of mischievousness in his voice? What could this possibly mean? Did he plan something? This on only had a genuine smile plastered on his face, his eyes following the girls passing by them. Nothing could be guessed from his expression. Kiseop was probably trying to reassure him, nothing else. Better change the subject.

                -Where are the others? Kevin asked looking at the entrance door.

                -Must be there any time soon, party’s going to start. They must’ve gone picking their partners up.

                -Hm… At least they have ones. Look at me who’d like to dance with a boy dressed as a girl?!

                -You know you don’t care about it anyway. And stop being so grumpy, we’re here to have fun, so get up, smile, and get ready to enjoy.

                -Kiseop, I’m wearing high hills, there’s no way I could possibly enjoy that night.

                Kevin stood up quickly, trying not to fall. The room was full of students, the DJ was getting ready. Kevin had a last glance at the door before turning around to Kiseop, looking at him with a mix of annoyance and happiness on his face. His best friend was right: he should stop complaining and take the best out of this night. After all, prom night occurred only once in a lifetime.

 

 

                Suddenly the music started, filling the room with heavy beats of electronic music. First a bit awkward, the crowd started dancing along with the sounds, some of them flirting with others. Kiseop and Kevin stayed still a few minutes, looking at the dancing colors in front of them. Everything seemed vivider, the colors of the dresses, the green, blue, red lightings were mixing to create strange fireworks. The flashing spotlights were adding a supernatural atmosphere to the all scene.

                Kiseop got closer to Kevin, trying to be heard over the music while pointing at a couple in the colorful crowd:

                -Look at those two! I wonder how Eli always manages to get the hottest chicks…

                Kevin quickly glanced at Kiseop a few seconds before turning his gaze to his friend who was dancing with a shortly dressed girl. Sure she could have been hot if only she would have chosen better clothes. It seemed like her was about to tear her upper dress any second and the bottom was so short it would have been the same if she were only wearing .

                -Not really my type.

                -I know. Too vulgar. Too much of a girl.

                Kevin looked back at Kiseop, a suspicious look on his face.

                -What are you insinuating?

                -Nothing. I just know you, and she’s obviously not your type.

 

 

                 Kevin skeptically looked at Kiseop for a few others seconds before turning his gaze. Did Kiseop know? He probably guessed it very easily, after all they have known each other for so many years now and he was sometimes surprised at how Kiseop seemed to know him better than he did.

                 He surely never spoke a word about it. He knew any of his friends had not any kind of problem with that, but he could not bring himself to tell them the truth. How would everybody react? It was scaring him so much he did not even tell his best friend about it. What if Kiseop started being awkward around him and little by little outdistancing himself from him? It would probably kill him inside, Kiseop was the person he was treasuring the most on Earth. What if he learnt…

                -… you okay?

                -Hm?

                -I asked you if you were okay. Your face became gloomy all of a sudden.

                -Yes, I’m okay, don’t worry, I was just… thinking.

                -‘kay. So… Can I ask you something?

                -Yes, go ahead, Kevin answered, suddenly feeling nervous.

                -Would you grant me this dance?

                Kevin’s eyes widened, in shock. From all the questions he was imagining, this one was probably the one he expected the less. He blinked a few times, eyes stuck on Kiseop’s inviting hand in front of him.

                -Please? It would be an honor to have the most outstanding girl out there as my partner.

                Kiseop sent a playful wink to his friend, along with the brightest smile Kevin had ever seen on him.

                -Of course, I can’t refuse such a proposal, Kevin said, a weird expression appearing on his face.

                Both of them got on the dancing floor and started dancing without caring about the others, sometimes making faces at each other and laughing happily. Most of the night flew by with them playfully dancing and having fun. Kevin had forgotten about his previous worries and was even feeling comfortable in the dress he had on.

 

 

                Time for the slows quickly came, and Kiseop and Kevin naturally got closer, dancing together between the other couples. Kevin could feel Kiseop’s hands on his hips, his thumbs slightly moving against the dress. It felt like paradise. Kevin would probably never admit it, but he had been waiting for such a thing to happen for ages. He could not help but smile, it was like a dream. Kevin’s mind stopped, he decided he would enjoy the moment without thinking too much.

                Everything was perfect until he realized Kiseop’s arms were entirely wrapped around his waist, his resting on his best friend shoulders. When did they get this close? Was he the one who pushed things a bit further or did Kiseop…? No. Kiseop would never do such a thing. They were both so close right now yet so far at the same time. Kevin knew he would not last long before making a mistake. A single wrong move, a single too-long glance and it would be over. He had to get out of Kiseop’s embrace before it was too late. Anything was done yet, he still could explain, he still could fix everything.

                With this thought in mind, Kevin pushed Kiseop away as hard as he could and ran outside quickly, pretty fast considering he was wearing high hills. Once outside, he ran a few other meters before stopping and leaning against a wall in the darkest corner he had found. If only Kiseop would not follow him. He could not face him. Not here, not now.

                Kevin could feel his heart racing in his chest, both from his previous running and what had happened with Kiseop. Would he ever find a great explanation for what happened? Nothing seemed good enough right now. He had to go? That sounded totally stupid and not convincing at all. What could he do? He started panicking, his mind could not think straight anymore. The door of the dancing room suddenly opened, getting him out of his thoughts.

                -Kevin? Where are you hiding?

                Kevin leaned further against the wall. He thought Kiseop would never run after him. Now he had to do his best not to be found to avoid the awkward conversation they would obviously have. Kiseop called his name again, it seemed like he was getting closer. He finally entered Kevin’s sight, who automatically stopped breathing, not wanting to be caught. Kiseop made a few steps in front of him before stopping. He stood there a few seconds, about two meters away from Kevin. Miraculously, Kiseop finally moved, retracing his steps. Kevin sighed in relief, he managed to avoid Kiseop. He closed his eyes, breathing deeply as he was trying to calm down.

 

 

                -I knew you were here.

                Kevin jumped in surprise. Kiseop was standing just in front of him, his arms folded and an accusing look all over his face.

                -You were trying to run away from me, weren’t you?

                He tried to answer, stuttering so much he could not form any proper word. He decided it was safer to stop and stay mute, his eyes avoiding Kiseop’s by looking at his own feet. He heard Kiseop sighing softly and then felt his best friend’s hand under his chin, making him looking up right into Kiseop’s eyes. He quickly looked somewhere else. Looking directly into his eyes right now was dangerous. This whole situation was dangerous. Anything could betray him.

                -Kevin, look at me please, Kiseop said softly

                -I can’t.

                -Why not?

                -Because… Because… It’s because…

                Hi swords stuck in his throat. It was as if nervousness was literally strangling him. He felt Kiseop’s hand slowly moving to his left cheek, his thumb lightly caressing it.

                -Because you love me?

                Kevin’s eyes widened. His face and ears were burnings, he knew he was blushing. Why was Kiseop saying such a thing? He was not supposed to know it, it was supposed to be a secret and to remain one. Kiseop knew, which meant he had made a mistake, and the fact he was blushing right now would not help denying what he had just said. Kevin hoped he had chosen a place dark enough to hide his red face to Kiseop.

                -No, it’s not that, it’s just… just…

                His voice stopped again before he could finish his sentence. That was it. There was no point in denying anymore. His voice had betrayed him. Now all he had to do was to wait for Kiseop’s judgment.

                Silence got between them. Kevin started moving his legs awkwardly. His feet were painful, he was nervous and Kiseop was not saying anything. He was feeling more and more uncomfortable as the seconds were passing.

                -I won’t say anything until you’re looking at me, Kiseop said, as if he had read Kevin’s mind

                He felt like he was about to explode from nervousness. He took a deep breath before turning his gaze to Kiseop, their eyes meeting again. Kevin’s heart seemed to stop.

                -Good. You’re probably wondering how I guessed it, aren’t you? I have to admit, I don’t really know myself. Probably because your behavior changed towards me and not towards the others. I know you and I already had a special relationship but, I don’t know, it was kinda different than before.

                Kiseop stopped talking. His expression was soft, as if he was remembering some sweet memories. Kevin was feeling like he was in another world, on another planet. He was not even sure he was registering Kiseop’s words correctly. The only thing he still could feel was Kiseop’s hands against his cheek.

                -You know, I thought you would confess before. There were so many times I saw you struggling with you feelings. You didn’t have to say anything. I could read everything on your face. In your eyes. I thought you would admit it to get rid of the unconfidence you were feeling. I seemed to be wrong.

 

 

                Kiseop stepped back, his right hand leaving Kevin’s face to fall on his side. He took a look at Kevin’s entire body before getting closer again. Kevin was petrified. He was afraid to make a single move, he still did not know where Kiseop wanted to take this conversation, he did not know how to react at all. He could not even guess anything from his voice, as if he was making his tone as neutral as possible on purpose.

                He suddenly felt Kiseop’s hands on both sides of his head and his wig being removed slowly. Kiseop threw it on the floor then ruffled Kevin’s hair.

                -Looks a little bit more like you. It’s better.

                -Better?

                -Well I’ve been feeling like talking to a girl since the beginning of the night. I prefer talking to Kevin.

                This one could not help but smile. At least he was not the only one who did not like him being dressed as a girl.

                -Take it, Kiseop said while handing his jacket to Kevin.

                It was at that right moment he realized he really was cold. He had totally forgotten they were outside in the night and that he was wearing a dress. He put the jacket on quickly. It was hot and was smelling exactly like Kiseop. Kevin looked up at him. He was feeling a little bit more comfortable than before, even if there was still a hint of uneasiness inside him. Kiseop sadly smiled at him before talking again:

                -I’m a little sad you’ve never told me you were gay. I thought you fully trusted me, you had nothing to be scared about telling me about this. It’s not such a big deal, you are who you are, it doesn’t matter if you like girls or boys or even both. It hurts to know you’re not trusting me enough to tell this kind of things to me. I’m not the one who would judge you upon that. But I guess you had your reasons.

                Kevin started stamping nervously again. Was he such a bad actor he could not hide that fact to Kiseop?  And now he had to explain everything.

                -The first thing you have to know is that I really do trust you. You’re the person I trust the most on Earth, but you probably already know that. I’ve always told you everything. Everything except the fact that I was… The fact that I was gay. Look, he said while chuckling bitterly, even now you’re the first and only one I’ve ever told about that. It has nothing to do with trust. I just didn’t want to lose you. I was so scared of the way you would’ve reacted if I had told you. I couldn’t possibly take the risk to make you stop talking to me. You’re way too precious for me and…

                Both of his hands automatically went up to hide his mouth as he realized what he had just said and what he was about to say. He looked at Kiseop in complete shock. This one gave him an encouraging smile:

                -And?

                Kevin knew he could not escape anymore. It was finally time to say it. To say everything to Kiseop, the way he was feeling about him. After what he was going to say, there would be no taking back. He would have reached a point of no return.

                -And it would have killed me not to be able to talk to you anymore. I can’t imagine spending a single day without seeing you. You are so important for me it’s just totally crazy. I don’t even know when it became like this, but it just did. I fell too hard to even get back. I fell for you Kiseop, I…

                Kevin reduced the distance between him and Kiseop until he would put his hands on his shoulders. He looked directly into his eyes. He had to stop running away. He had to do it.

                -I love you.

 

 

                At the very moment the words left his mouth, Kiseop’s eyes seemed to light up. They were sparkling with what Kevin recognized as joy and something else he was afraid of naming. He could not allow himself to believe, even if he wanted so hard. Kiseop loving him back would be too good to be true, and believing in it would lead to an even harder fall than what would happen any moment now.

                Kiseop smiled widely. He put his two hands on Kevin’s cheeks, and before this one could make a move he pressed his lips against his. Suddenly, it was like billions of fireworks were exploding inside Kevin’s whole body. His lips had become supersensitive as if all the nerves of his body had moved there.

                Too soon, Kiseop stepped back, his hands still holding Kevin’s face, and looked at him with a look full of love. Kevin was staring at him, his eyes wide opened and a big smile on his lips. He was feeling completely dizzy from happiness.

                 -You’re so blind, my little Kevin, Kiseop said sweetly. Even when the obvious is showing you need to hear it to start believing it’s true. Have you ever seen the signs I was trying to send you? Probably not. But it doesn’t matter now. I wonder how you’ve managed to survive until now.

                A light giggle escaped his lips. Kevin was confused. What was he talking about? What signs? And why wouldn’t he have survived? Seeing the look of confusion on his face, Kiseop giggled even more:

                -You’re so cute. Don’t mind what I just said. I was just thinking out loud. It’s just that… You’re so innocent and everything, it seems like you can’t read between the lines.

                Kiseop pecked Kevin’s lips again and again. Kevin’s head was spinning, his entire body was burning. Kiseop’s lips against his was the best thing he had ever felt in his entire life, he wanted this moment to last forever.

 

 

                The door of the dancing room opened and music filled the cold air of the night for a second, taking them back to reality. They look into each other’s eyes, both of their gazes full of promises. They could not erase the smile from their face, still feeling the magic of the moment.

                Kiseop grabbed Kevin’s hand and started walking toward the door. Before opening it, he turned to Kevin and said with the softest voice ever:

                -Kevin?

                -Yes?

                -I love you too.