Thief and the Rich

Fragments of the Heart

The music continues to blare loudly inside of Black Iris Club. More people begin to dance on the dance floor like there is no tomorrow. Some couples who have been involved in a hot make-out session disappear upstairs while other people continue to search for a one-night stand.

 

If Yoona were new to all of these things, she would have felt appalled at the in the nightclub, disgusted even. But since she used to belong in the nightclub, she feels like it is nothing to take notice of. It is not as if it is her business or anything. That is just how the nightclub life is. Nobody cares about what you do as long as it does not disturb others.

 

Luhan, the guy who has been flirting with her, leads her to the table where the other Bloody Phoenix’s members are sitting at. The other Bloody Phoenix’s members are scrutinising her carefully from head to toe and Yoona knows that they are judging her. She acts like she does not care about it and walks with her head held high.

 

A few moments later, she finds herself standing right in front of their table with all of their eyes on her. She lets a small smirk etch itself on her lips and looks at each and every one of the members before introducing herself, “Hey, everyone. I’m Yoona. Im Yoona. It’s a pleasure to meet all of you.”

 

One of the girls who has long black hair and is wearing a pair of skinny jeans and a white singlet with a black cardigan draped around her body leans forward slightly as though she wants to have a better look at Yoona. “Why did you bring her here, Luhan?” the girl asks sweetly but underneath her sweetness, Yoona notes that there is an edge to her voice.

 

Yoona knows a lot of girls like her so she is not exactly offended by her obvious distaste. Girls like her are es who need someone to show them their place. Girls like her think that they are better than everyone else when the truth is they are no different from the rest of them. Girls like her are who Yoona pities the most in the world.

 

“Be nice, Soojung,” Luhan chides gently. He wraps an arm around Yoona’s shoulder and Yoona feels an urge to shrug it off but she decides to leave it there instead. “Yoona wants to join our gang,” he announces causing the other members to exchange glances with one another.

 

“Are you sure she can handle it?” a guy who has a devious smirk plastered on his lips voices out his concern. Yoona notes that this is the guy who whistled at her just now. “I mean, look at her. She looks too naïve for the kind of life that we lead.”

 

Yoona bristles. She feels a little bit annoyed for being underestimated but she keeps shut, letting Luhan handle the situation. “Don’t judge a book by its cover, Jongin,” the guy snaps, obviously getting impatient. “I’m pretty sure Yoona is more experienced than all of you combined.”

 

That’s correct, she thinks to herself triumphantly. “So, are we settled about me joining?” she inquires cynically. She flashes them a dangerous smile that shows that they should not underestimate her just because of her innocent looks.

 

“You’re joining and that’s that,” Luhan replies, not giving the other members a chance to protest. “They have no say in it, anyway. I’m in charge of this group.”

 

At that, Yoona raises her eyebrow in interest. “How many groups are there in Bloody Phoenix, anyway?” she asks curiously as she tilts her head to the side slightly.

 

“Lots,” a guy who has blonde hair speaks up before Luhan can answer. “I’m Sehun, by the way and the guy who questioned about your ability to handle this kind of life is Jongin and the girl who was rude to you in the beginning is Soojung.”

 

Before Yoona can respond to his introduction, the girl named Soojung interrupts her, “I wasn’t rude to her. I was just asking Luhan a question.”

 

“The thing is, Soojung, you’re rude to everyone,” the guy who Yoona recognises as Kim Jongdae or Chen in the beginning interjects. Then, he gives the spy a smile which shows off his prominent cheekbones. “I’m Jongdae, also known as Chen when I’m doing our business, but well, just call me Jongdae.” I know, Yoona thinks to herself but she simply nods her head in response.

 

“That’s because Soojung hates everyone,” another girl who has delicate features remarks in what seems like a joking tone but Yoona is not sure whether she really is joking or not because it does seem like Soojung hates everyone. “Jinri,” the girl introduces herself to Yoona as she beams at her. “I’m so glad to have you here, Yoona.”

 

Yoona nods in acknowledgement before looking at the guy next to Jinri. The guy seems to be lost in his own world but he proves her wrong by saying, “I’m Yixing.” Then, he keeps quiet, disappearing back into his own world once again.

 

“Kim Taeyeon,” the young woman next to Yixing says before Yoona can ask for her name. Yoona notes that there are eight people in the group, excluding her.

 

The spy nods her head at the introduction and flashes them a smile. She casually sits down next to Jongin and crosses one leg over another. She raises an eyebrow at them challengingly. Leaning against the seat, she says, “So, I think you’ve got questions to ask me. Shoot. I don’t mind but that doesn’t mean I’ll answer all of them.”

 

Luhan takes a seat next to Taeyeon and he grabs a random glass from the table before gulping down the liquid inside of it. “Why do you want to enter Bloody Phoenix, Yoona?” he questions with an innocent smile but Yoona knows that the innocence he is showing is merely a façade.

 

Yoona tosses her head backwards and uncrosses her leg. She is about to answer the question when the guy next to her cuts her off. “If I were you, Yoona, I wouldn’t have even dared to ask to join this gang,” Jongin comments in a serious tone. “And that’s a lot, coming from someone who has been in this gang practically the whole of his life.”

 

The young woman looks at him quizzically as if she is asking him to elaborate more about his life in the gang but the guy next to her keeps mum. She shrugs nonchalantly before responding, “I used to belong to Thorns, you know?”

 

Jinri raises her eyebrow at the spy, obviously interested in her story. She leans forward, giving the older lady her attention. “You mean, Thorns as in the gang that was caught three years ago? The same Thorns that used to be a small gang but one that dealt with heavy drugs?” she asks, her eyes shining with interest.

 

Yoona simply smiles and says nothing, knowing that the more she keeps her silence, the more interested they will be in her story, the more she will be able to find out their story. It has always been like that in gangs, anyway. You don’t tell people your story unless they are willing to share theirs.

 

“How did you get out of the police’s grasp?” Soojung asks suspiciously. Her eyes are piercing through Yoona’s and even though Yoona does not like the way Soojung looks at her, she pretends like it does not bother her.

 

She lets out a small sigh, acting like a lot of people had asked her that question before and she is not interested to entertain such questions anymore. “That’s a story for another day,” she answers lazily. Then, she looks up at them with a twinkle in her eyes as a thought comes up inside her head. “You know,” she drawls, “when I was in that gang they always put the new members through some tests.” A smirk etches itself on her lips as she leans forward as though she is about to tell them a secret. “So, aren’t you going to do the same to me?”

 

Taeyeon looks at her in approval. “You’re not as naïve as I thought, Yoona,” she states calmly. Then, she raises her chin slightly as though she is about to challenge her. “May I give her the first test to prove herself, Luhan?” she asks for permission out of courtesy but Yoona knows that it is unnecessary to do that.

 

With or without Luhan’s permission, Taeyeon will still give her the first test, anyway.

 

“Go ahead,” Luhan replies nonchalantly.

 

The young woman next to Luhan smiles wickedly as she lowers down her voice so that only the gang can hear what she is saying. “I want you to pickpocket a wallet from one of the guys in this club,” she challenges.

 

A smirk filled with malice etches itself on Yoona’s lips. She stands up and flashes all of them a confident smile. “Challenge accepted,” she responds before sashaying to the dance floor.

 

Truth to be told, she feels offended that they look down on her but then, she has always loved to prove people wrong so she is more determined than ever to succeed in this test. This is nothing, anyway. She is a professional at this so she is not nervous at all.

 

Once she reaches the dance floor, she starts dancing by herself, knowing that a guy will come up to her and dance with her soon. Guys cannot resist hot girls like her, anyway. She knows that she is being conceited but it is not called bragging if it is true, right? She continues to dance by herself while waiting patiently for a victim to take the bait. After awhile, she feels that a guy is grinding against her hips.

 

A small snicker escapes her lips but it is inaudible to the ears of others, all thanks to the loud music. The two of them continue to grind on each other for a little while before Yoona decides to take it to the next level. She turns around and wraps her arms around the guy’s neck provocatively.

 

Yoona notices that the guy is quite good-looking and he wears branded clothes so she figures that he is a son of a rich guy. She lets a smirk touch her lips, knowing that she has caught a big fish. The guy smirks back at her, mistaking her smirk as a form of showing that she is enjoying the dance like he is.

 

The spy applauds herself silently as she does not try to break away when the guy’s hands start to travel around her body. Usually when this happens, she will always pull away quickly but since this is exactly her plan, she does not do what she usually does. Instead, she lets her own hands travel around his body.

 

To say that the guy does not have a good body would be a lie but Yoona does not exactly care about that. All she cares about is getting his wallet away from his pocket without him realising it. While the guy continues to be distracted by her body, she slowly slips her hand in the back pocket of the guy’s pants. The dim lighting of the club prevents anyone from seeing what she is doing. Even if anyone notices it, they will not care anyway.

 

She takes the wallet out of his back pocket and wraps a leg around the guy’s waist, distracting him from noticing anything. She presses her body against his and stares into the guy’s eyes seductively. The guy looks back into her eyes as her arms make their way back around his neck for balance with the wallet still in her hand as the guy remains oblivious.

 

“Let’s go upstairs to continue this heated dance of ours,” the guy suggests with hope shining in his eyes.

 

Yoona snorts at the guy’s naivety but continues to lead him on. She nods and bites her lips slightly, acting like she, too, just like him, is aroused. “I need to go to the bathroom for a little while, baby. Wait for me upstairs, okay?” she whispers at him before winking and walking away with the wallet in her hands towards the direction of the female bathroom as the guy still does not realise his wallet is missing all this while.

 

She shakes her head slightly, not feeling a little bit guilty on what she has done. She enters the female bathroom and notices that some couples are getting it on in the unhygienic place. She wrinkles her nose at them before making her way to the sink. She washes her face after placing the wallet inside her jeans pocket, removing any trace of the thick make-up that she has applied on her face earlier.

 

She stares into her own face in the mirror and it is then when it hits her. She is supposed to be a spy for Heechul and his colleagues instead of showing off her old talents. She grips the edges of the sink and lets out a small sigh as she realises how in the moment of the adrenaline rush, she has forgotten.

 

She has forgotten her original intention of coming here. She grits her teeth, feeling angry at herself for easily slipping back into her old ways. She already promised Heechul not to do those types of things anymore. It scares her how she can just sidetrack easily.

 

Taking in a deep breath, Yoona steels her determination not to lose herself like that anymore. From now onwards, she vows not to let herself do anything that might lead her back to her old ways.

 

This is the first night of her mission and yet she already does one of the things that she used to do so easily. She does not know how she can control herself in some other time but she swears she will not give in easily.

 

Im Yoona definitely will not slip back into her old ways.

 

 


Author's Note: Hello everyone. I hope you enjoyed reading the second chapter. I have to admit that the flow of the story will be quite slow but I promise that the story will get more interesting as chapters pass by. This chapter basically shows how easily Yoona loses herself when she's doing what she used to do. It just feels so right for her to do that because that was what she used to do but she vows to herself that she won't slip back into her old ways. But will she be able to do that?

Thank you for subscribing reading, commenting and upvoting! I really appreciate it. Do comment and subscribe. Enjoy reading the next chapter! :)