0/3 A ty life

of idiot ninjas, lovely insults and a desperate bodyguard

Woohyun threw a look over his shouder to make sure that nobody was following him. A grunt escaped from his lips as he headed to Sungjong's place. He didn't exactly like that Donghae sent his little nephew to stalk him everywhere and try to persuade him into coming back to the Hokage's office and help the Hokage with the littlest brain in the Ninja history with his duties.

That, wasn't part of his job.

Checking files, helping the Hokage to read every single line of them without cheating (skipping to other pages) wasn't part of his job.

From his point of view, all Woohyun needed to do was to be sure that Sungyeol- -that's the name of the stupidest Hokage in the history of the Hokages- -didn't harm himself mortally with papers or with the amount of chakra he used to remove the seal from some important secret scrolls. He needed to stay alert and sense how much power the stupid was using specially when it came to opening things coming from the Sand village. The Kazekage, their friend Dongwoo, wasn't to trust anyone with matters that he did want no one to know except the council and the other Kages, therefore he sealed boxes and scrolls and everything with a jutsu that only who had great strong chakra could open or read.

And of course, because Sungyeol's attention could go from a hundred to looking at the ball of dust on the corner of his office, Woohyun had the permission to stay with him, meaning that he knew everything (sometimes, he was the one answering for Sungyeol during secret meetings in which he shouldn't be present, but people insisted that he'd take care of Sungyeol even in those occasions. Even though Woohyun and Sungyeol were 'friends' since the day Woohyun saved Sungyeol's life with a glass of water because the stupid forced half of a steak in his mouth, Woohyun would have preferred staying at home. Or with Sunggyu.)

It was a really ty job.

No matter what the others said- -they kept telling him that he should feel honored and priviledged because he got to be side by side to the leader and protector of their Village- -he wasn't going to change his mind.

Yes, right.

Sungyeol was the youngest person that was proclaimed Kage, but that still didn't excuse him for being silly and risking his own life with his stupid decisions.

He was taking care of an adult of twenty-four years old.

Twenty-four years of being a crying, sometimes very clueless with rare occasions of showing brilliant ideas ninja. Twenty-four years of ruining Woohyun's days. Twenty-four years of being the cause of Woohyun and Sunggyu's arguments because Sunggyu tended to always side Sungyeol. Twenty-four years of being the biggest probable cause of his own death.

That was the story of Sungyeol's life so far.

So, everyone who spoke to Woohyun like they'd be puking rainbows and butterflies if they were in his shoes- - -sandals, to be more precise, well, Woohyun just thought that they were all big talkers when they were in front of Sungyeol.

They were big hypocrites- -Let him explain that. Woohyun knew that the villagers thought of Sungyeol like the next great Hokage after Sungyeol's father. So they respected and loved the guy to death. But there was a high percentuality that shared Woohyun's thought. Like him, they saw Sungyeol as a sort of suicidal person who, most of time, accomplished missions thanks to the other ninjas with him. 

There are times when he looks like he can ing beat the out of a group of ninja S though. Woohyun's shoulders sagged down. Rare times sadly.

Anyway, back to talking about the villagers. Woohyun was saying that a lot of them were big hypocrites. He could swear that almost 60% of all the people praising the Hokage thought otherwise when Sungyeol was not around. 

'Sungyeol is such a capable person.'

'He's responsable.'

'Very smart' (Please. Woohyun had to laugh at that.

And the next thing he knew was that Sunggyu and part of the village were frowning at him.)

Woohyun could call the villagers hypocrite, double-faced, liar, but it's not like he could blame them for behaving all nice and kind in front of Sungyeol. You see, Woohyun was the only ninja of the Leaf Village that was not capable of falling for Sungyeol's antics which meant that he was the only one who had the heart to tell Sungyeol whatever passed in his mind and bear with him bawling for hours. And believe him, a crying Sungyeol was worse than the effect of a Chidori.

He looked around him before pressing the door-bell of Sungjong's house.

As he waited for the guy to open the door and let him in and allow him to finally feel a little bit of freedom, his ears caught a noise coming from behind him. Then he sensed the weak chakra. Sighing, he asked himself why Donghae was so cruel and why little Sehun was a so goddamned stalker and passionate ninja that could do anything to assolve his little mission at his young age.

He chuckled a little silently, but then he was back being serious and frustrated.

 

If only Sungyeol was half as dedicated to significant missions or to reading important scrolls as his nephew was, then Woohyun's job wouldn't be so ty.

- - - - -

"I thought we agreed on meeting at three," Sungjong told him as a greet. He observed the older guy enter his house passing through the window of his bedroom and if he was thinking that this was all very funny and that Woohyun could have used a Jutsu instead of making a fool of himself - -he was an Anbu doing that kind of thing because of a kid of ten years old- - Sungjong didn't mock Woohyun. He limited himself in innocently asking, "Tiring Anbu day?"

"Tiring life," Woohyun responded. He wondered half a second how many days it will take Sehun to forgive his uncle Awesome for calling his mother and tell her that her son was getting in the middle of his work. He didn't want to imagine his nephew pouting at him because he was grounded to the four walls with Woohyun's sister when he'll visit them. Woohyun thought about not coming to see them, telling that he was busy - -which wouldn't be a lie since he was always busy with Sungyeol- - but he knew that was not going to happen. 

Woohyun's one and ony weakness- -if we don't count Sunggyu- -was the kid.

"A ing tiring life," he repeated, defeated by the guilt that was already building inside him. He remained wallowing in the feeling before putting it aside because it was not time for that. Now there were things that needed to be taken care of. "Am I the only latecomer?"

Sungjong gave him a knowing look. He showed a teasing smile. "Byunghun arrived half an hour before you," he said, now showing his teeth. "And Hangeng was punctual as always. Same goes for Heechul."

He gulped at that. A mask of worriness fell on his face. The last four words awoke an alarm bell inside him.

He knew for sure that Heechul was mad at him.

Congratulations. Good way to worsen your day. 

Sungjong patted him on the back affectionately and then he turned around and walked to the door, but not before telling Woohyun to follow him. "I'd be careful of what I say, if I were you," he suggested when they were just a few feet from the kitchen.

From were they were standing, Woohyun could see all of the other three friends plus Heechul sitting around the table. His eyes casted on the long-haired guy who was sitting quietly, slumped in his chair, his arms crossed over his chest stubborly and glaring at Siwon's hand that was resting on the wooden surface of the table. 

"He'll skin me even if I zip my mouth." He was not ready to face an infuriated Heechul. Actually, he never was. "I could tell you how my dicussion with Sungyeol went and- -"

"And then disappear?" Sungjong finished his sentence. "That won't do because I'm not going to refer anything." As Woohyun scowled at him, he said, "I've been trying to keep up a conversation with the three of them for half an hour because they were all threatening to leave. . .Besides, I think Heechul will hunt you, torture you and then kill you." He flashed him a broad grin.

Woohyun hated when Sungjong made his appealing ideas turn . He really hated it.

"It's not like we solved something. You know how hard-headed he is- -"

Sungjong put a hand on his mouth. Shaking his head, he raised an eyebrow at Woohyun. "Hunt you, torture you and kill you."

Really really hated it.

"," he whispered when his mouth was freed.

"Yes." Sungjong looked up at the ceiling. Woohyun couldn't say if the friend was thinking something bad about him or he was looking up just because. Add not always being able to read him to the list of 'Things he hates about Sungjong.' He saw him turn on his heel and then Sungjong's full body was facing Woohyun. One hand went on the older's shouder while the other slapped Woohyun's face lightly.

"This Chunin will watch your Anbu back," he told Woohyun, suggestively wiggling his eyebrows. Woohyun's palm had to connect to the younger's forehead to make them stop going up and down. "You know," Sungjong continued with yet another smile plastering on his face. "I was joking before. Anger and y attitude aside, he's not that bad," he said, slapping the back of Woohyun's hand hard.

"Oi, that hurt! Slapping people's hand? Did you turn into a girl or something? Since when?" Woohyun snorted at him only to be rewarded with an annoying smirk. "Anyway, were we talking about the same person?"

Sungjong caressed his chin as if thinking deeply. "Heechul, yes?"

"If you put his anger and his y attitude aside he'll be left with nothing," Woohyun commented.

"That's cruel," Sungjong said, yet he's sneering. He leaned his face closer to Woohyun's.

"Hey, Sunggyu's the jealous type and I'm not up for cheating."

He received rolling eyes as an answer. "As if I would risk my balls for someone who's not even a quarter as hot as Kyungsoo," Sungjong said, looking triumphal even after Woohyun flicked his nose. "I just wanted to tell you something, but that can wait. . . Unlike Heechul."

 

#46 Sungjong's sense of humor.

- - - - -

The thing about Heechul, aside from being the least pleasant person to be around was that he liked to belittle people around him, make them feel bad about themselves In Woohyun's case, since they were friends or something getting to the point of being friends, Heechul tended to unnerve Woohyun a lot and to make him feel useless.

"."

"For the fifth time, I'm sorry. I just had to do something, I- -"

"You are always late!"

Groan. "That's because I have a lot of work to do."

"From how I see it, you do nothing all day."

"Nothing? Nothing? I'm the Hokage's personal Anbu!- -

Sungjong raised his hand. "Baby-sitter. . .What? You say it all the time."

I didn't correct you before.

- -I have lots of things to do and Sungyeol is suicidal!"

("Don't say that. He's our Hokage." Siwon, the ever-so-loyal-ninja meddled in.)

"Oh, please. You stand there and watch Sungyeol."

"I don't just stand there. I happen to save his all freaking day. Every day."

"Arrogant much, aren't we?"

"I'm not lying! Ask anyone. I'm always ing exhausted- -"

"Obviously: you and Sunggyu like bunnies."

"- -they send people to follow me- -"

Sungyeol coughed. "Sehun."

"- -I don't have much free time. I had to sneak out to come here!"

"Because standing requires energy. Riiiiight."

"I'm not just standing!"

"Yes," Sungjong said, "I see him walk sometimes."

Woohyun almost banged his head on the table. "Can't you just accept my apologies?"

"No." Heechul responded immediately.

Woohyun paled.

Heechul sat up straighter and smirked in a terrfying manner. And then he laughed maniacally.

Siwon spent five days out of seven with the long-haired guy so he was used to Heechul's scary side- - Wait. Does Heechul have a non-scary side? Woohyun shared a frightened look with Byunghun while Sungjong rested his chin on his hand, enjoying what was happening because he never admitted it, but Woohyun was starting to think that he liked when people discuss. He liked taking part in the argument and he liked making one of the guys feel worse because 'he has issues'. Add that to the list.

He didn't know how to react when Heechul said, "I don't have time for this right now. I'll get you one of these days," and, "now, hurry up, tell us if the stupid of the village changed his mind and if we're allowed to exterminate the last survivor of that filthy clan?"

("Don't use those words, Heechul," Siwon berated. "He's the strongest ninja of our village. You shouldn't call him that. Respect Sungyeol.")

Woohyun knew that he shouldn't feel relieved. What kind of insane person would be feeling relieved after hearing that his days were counted? (Knowing Heechul, he knew that it wasn't a lie. The guy visited him a couple of times. Last time, Woohyun woke up with a very ridiculous maroon mohawk as his hair-style, that didn't suit him at all. And you cannot imagine the embarassment he felt as he had to use a body filcker tecnique after he heard a very unmistakable scream coming from the Hokage's house. 

There were at least fourteen people there- - including Sunggyu, Sungjong- - beside Woohyun that were staring at a Sungyeol in despair because he burnt his breakfast.

Woohyun couldn't not tell Sungyeol how stupid he was and that's when everyone started to laugh.

Even Sungyeol.

Heechul was sure a bastard.)

Anyway, Woohyun thought, he said one of these days. Not today. Today I'll be able to sleep peacefully. . .I hope.

"So," Heechul said. He tilted his head, his listening gesture, and his shaking hand was a sign for Woohyun to begin to talk. "I still have the intention of going to the Hot Springs," that was uttered with a tone of finality.

"Basically nothing changed", Woohyun replied, shrugging a bit.

"Are you telling us that Sungyeol still wants to marry that traitor?" Byunghun was horrified. His shoulders hunched. "ing Sungyeol. He must be ing joking."

"Language," Siwon said. He asked, "Does that mean that we can't do anything to stop that?"

Woohyun shook his head. "ing stubborn as ."

"What about the warrants?"

Woohyun sighed. "Revoked. I'm telling you, absolutely nothing changed."

"Are you saying. . ." Heechul's fingers were closing in a fist, ". . .that I've been waiting for about two hours for a 'nothing changed'?"

 

Oh.

- - - - -

It was only 8am and he was already in a bad mood. He felt cold, his legs were two pieces of block and he definitely detested liars like Heechul. He perfectly knew that the guy was upset yesterday when he left Sungjong's, but he never considered Heechul a person that would take his words back like that. He clearly said that he was not going to bother Woohyun that day. Heechul said that it was going to be one of these coming days and that's why Woohyun relaxed because when the guy settled something, he was not going to contradict himself. But it turned out, that Woohyun couldn't trust Heechul at all. At all. I have to ask for new pairs of black trousers thanks to him. Woohyun walked fast to the mansion as usual, kicking stones that he found here and there on the streets and murmuring back 'hi'-s to everyone that greeted him, but he added small smiles to the elders.

He passed the two guards in front of the Kage's house after giving them a mere nod and then proceeded inside. He usually stopped in the kitchen and prepared a green tea or a black coffee for himself, but today he decided to walk straight to Sungyeol's room.

There, in the middle of the room was the infamous Kim Myungsoo, the soon-to-be-spouse-of-the-Hokage. He didn't even try to stop a grimace from contorting his face.

"Where's Sungyeol?" He asked at the same time Myungsoo pointed out. "You really have tiny hairy legs."

Of course he would say that.

Woohyun didn't groan. He chose to not dignify that with a reply. "Where's Sungyeol?" He repeated, a little impatiently this time.

Myungsoo continued staring at his lower part and Woohyun didn't show any kind of nervousness. Someone like him wouldn't make him uncomfortbale. The answer came accompanied with a casual shrug. "I don't know."

He flared instantly. "What do you mean?" He asked with gritted teeth. "Is he hurt or something?" He said quickly, then added, "Did someone attack you during the night?"

Attacks. During the morning, during the night. They started stopping after the peace treaty between the villages, but three days from Sungyeol's announcement, they started all over again. The culprits, Woohyun thought immediately, were from the Leaf. It was something they didn't need to ponder. It was easy to comprehend since about everyone was not happy with having Kim Myungsoo free from all the warrants and more, Kim Myungsoo becoming the second person more important of the village. And he was right. Though, they never arrived to the point of harming neither of Myungsoo and Sungyeol- -Sungyeol was always around Myungsoo. Glued next to him. Several Anbus intervened before they could lay a finger on the Hokage and Myungsoo. They were stupid attempts in the first week, now that the day of the ceremony was coming they were more clever. Like putting poison in the bath or surrounding Sungyeol and Myungsoo during the night. And with surrounding he didn't mean five or seven ninjas. Sometimes they were more than twenty.

Marrying Myungsoo was definitely the worst of all the decisions Sungyeol could've taken.

And Heechul dares to say that I do nothing.

"So?" He insisted and then told himself that Sungyeol's still alive and no one intruded in this place. Nobody came to inform him about an possible attempt, therefore there wasn't any.

Myungsoo shrugged again, now looking at him.

And that was so Myungsoo-like responding to anything with that stupid gesture that it irrirated Woohyun a lot. He should have known better that trying to make civil small conversations with him was impossible. Not that he wanted to talk with Myungsoo. That was a big no-no. He had to exchange words with him, though. 

Sungyeol. And here was the answer of his question. Just where the was the guy?

Before going to explore the house to find where the idiot was- -hoping that he was still at home and not somewhere else. No, he must be here or they'd have informed me- -he made a dimissive sound. " you."

He wandered in the Hokage's house, head filled with many thoughts, completely ignoring that voice that kept telling him that he was not affected. Woohyun was in a bad mood before coming here. It was not getting worse because of Myungsoo. And Woohyun should really look for Sungyeol. But he kept walking up and down without stopping anywhere. He walked up the stairs then went down and then finally he decided to stay outside for a while.

"The Hoka- -" The guardian began to tell him.

He cut his sentence off with a, "Give me one minute."

Woohyun didn't like Myungsoo back then- -not simply because of his eyes, but more for his douche attitude. Myungsoo always made it clear that he didn't want anyone to meddle in his affairs, that he didn't need anyone. He pushed people who could start caring about him. Just like their teacher, JiHoon. Or Siwon. Or Sungjong. Or that weird guy named Zelo, who was now dreaming to become a medical ninja, that Sunggyu took under his wing.

He could name a lot of people.

Because many tried.

Back then, Myungsoo was still part of the village and despite all the venom that came out of his mouth and the eye-rolls and the grunts, they still wanted to include him because that was what JiHoon taught them when they were 'kids'. Leaf is family. And back then, Woohyun ,who believed it, even if he didn't really like Myungsoo and kind of hated him, acknowledged Myungsoo as part of their group.

It was a nice thing to think. That they were family. That they were all one and that they were going to be ninja so that they could protect their one big family. Kids. It was a nice thing back then.

Woohyun didn't exactly remember the time when that surreal family idea cracked. A lot of things happened. If he thought about it, he'd say that growing up was the factor that made him understand. But inside him, he'd always thought the reason was Myungsoo.

Myungsoo who he didn't like- -who he'd never liked. Myungsoo who was allowed to step in the village again after the betrayal because Sungyeol of all the people had forgiven him and worse, wanted Myungsoo to be part of his life. Myungsoo who didn't want to be part of the village and looking at him, in the middle of the room of the Hokage's room, of the head of the village (even though the head was an idiot), Woohyun couldn't help but think that maybe he shouldn't have been part of the Leaf from the very beginning.

Myungsoo'd never fitted in the picture, anyway.

Woohyun closed his eyes, collected air in his cheeks and- -

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!"

 

ing Sungyeol.