Chapter 8

Vampire Next Door

All I know is that I need answers.

I turned towards Bora and clutched her arms. My eyes burned into her dark ones and I saw many things. Pity, frustration, and wanting. 

"Bora," I said. The sound of my voice made her flinch. "I need answers." She sighed and I could see the indecision on her face. Her eyes took a quick glance towards the door where Soyou and Kris stood earlier before they left.

"Not here," she whispered very quietly. Bora looked around the room, located a piece of paper and a pen, and scribbled something down. Then, she slipped the paper to me, stood abruptly, and walked out the door without a glancing back towards me. Written in very elegant handwriting was an address and a time. The secrecy of the note and Bora's refusal to tell me anything now made me nervous. What is she hiding? What is she afraid of? More unanswered questions came to me and I felt frustrated. Soon I shall have some questions answered. 

The next day, I went to work. I was greeted by my coworkers with smiles and hugs. Hyoyeon was very cheerful and asked me many times about how I was feeling. It felt good to get back to work, to be busy again. The day flew by fast. After work, Hyoyeon suggested that we go out to dinner to celebrate my return, but I decline it. I had to meet with Bora soon, but I did not tell them that. Instead, I told them that I already had plans and left. The address Bora gave to me was for a penthouse in a smaller scale apartment building. The building was older and was not kept very well. There were many cracks in the exterior walls and old, dingy windows lined up in rows along the building. Inside the building, the smell of mold was strong and the stains in the carpet were numorous. I made my way up the stairs to the top floor, which housed the penthouse. I raised my hand in front of the door, but before I could knock, the door opened. Bora stood in front of me dressed elegantly in black pants and a red blouse. She smiled at me and invited me inside. The penthouse was very well kept compared to the building. Beautiful wood flooring spread throughout the expanse of the penthouse. The front door led right into the living room area, which was filled with modern and sleek furniture. Bora grabbed my hand and led me to the black couch in the room and pulled me down to it. 

"Do you live here?" I asked Bora. She shook her head.

"No, I just take care of this place," she said. "This seemed to be the best place to tell you without them knowing."

"Who is them?" Bora shook her head.

"Nevermind. That is not what I want to tell you." Bora took a deep breathe. "Kris, Soyou and I are different. We are not exactly normal."

"I guess I kind of picked up on that," I said. 

"What I mean is that we are not exactly human." I froze. A part of me was surprised to hear this, but also another part of me wasn't surprised. Before Bora could continue, the front door flew open and Kris walked in. With his hands clenched, he walked over to Bora and yanked her up off the couch.

"Are you crazy?" he yelled at her. "What do you think you are doing?" Bora shoved him away from her.

"I am telling her the truth," Bora yelled back. 

"I am not the only one that knows about this place," he said sternly. "They know about it too."

"I know that," snapped Bora. "I do not care anymore about what happens to me." 

"You can be so irrational."

"She deserves to know," said Bora. "She is apart of this too." She then turned towards me and blurted out, "we are vampires." Kris then slapped her across the face. Her head snapped to the side from the impact and her dark hair flew over her face. She then slowly turned her head back towards Kris,  and her hair slowly fell away from her face revealing glowing red eyes. My muscles tensed and I sat frozen. The word "vampire" rang through my mind. Kris and Bora stood stiffly with their faces inches apart. Both of them were breathing heavily as anger seethed from them. Their eyes locked in a battle. 

"Bora," said a chiding voice. In the doorway stood Soyou with her arms crossed and a disapproving frown on her face. "I knew you would be disobedient." Bora's eyes flashed to Soyou. She made her way towards Soyou and shoved her against the door frame. Her eyes still glowing red, Bora pressed Soyou against the hard wood frame of the door, but Soyou's expression did not change. Then a very handsome man walked in, grabbed Bora's arm and pulled her off of Soyou.

"Stay out of this Kai," hissed Bora. The man named Kai just shook his head as he gripped her arm hard. Bora showed no signs of pain.

"You are in big trouble Bora," said Soyou. "I wonder what will be your punishment this time." Kai dragged Bora out of the room. Soyou then turned to Kris. "Bring the girl." Then she walked out. Kris turned towards me with a sad expression on his face. 

"I need you to come with me," he said as he offered me his hand. I stared at it and hesitated.

"Is what Bora said true?" I asked. He didn't say anything, which just confirmed what Bora said. "What did she mean that I am apart of this too?" 

"Come with me and you will find out," he said. I continued to sit there and stare at his hand. Fear overwhelmed me along with confusion. He then grabbed my hand and gently pulled me up from the couch. Without letting go of my hand he whispered into my ear, "don't worry, I won't let anything happen to you." His strong hand held mine as he led me out of the penthouse, down the stairs, and out to the street. A black car sat waiting for us. The driver opened the door for us. I slid in first followed by Kris, and then the driver took his seat. We drove around the city for a good twenty minutes. The entire time the sound of my heartbeat flooded my ears and I felt myself shake. Kris could sense my fear so he never let go of my hand. He did not say anything and I was kind of comforted by the silence. Then the car stopped in front of a glass building. Kris got out of the car and then helped me out. I stared at the building and wondered what was inside. It loomed over us with a sense of eeriness. I did not want to go inside. Kris tugged me forward to the front doors. We entered a large, empty, marble lobby. There was a wood desk with a girl sitting behind it at the back of the lobby. She smiled at Kris and he gave her one in return.

"Soyou said to expect you and a guest," said the girl. Kris nodded and then led me to an elevator that was placed to the side  of the lobby. Two security guards stood on either side of the doors. Their expressions were hard and they barely acknowledged Kris as we entered the elevator. My fear and nerves were coming to an all-time high. My legs felt shaky and weak. Kris then looped his arm around mine. "You can lean on me." I then leaned my head against his shoulder and wrapped my arm around his. I was grateful for the support. We then reached the tenth floor, which was the highest floor. The elevator doors opened and revealed a short, empty hallway. Still hugging his arm, I walked alongside Kris down this long hallway and came up to the door at the end. Two guards stood on either side of the door and held stern expressions on their faces. Kris knocked twice on the door before entering the room with me by his side. The room we entered was dark with very little light. Huge, thick, red curtains covered the only window in the room, and there was little streaks of light that was able to peek within the room. There were multiple people standing on the outer edges of the room, but I only recognized Soyou and Kai, who were standing side by side. Once we entered, everyone's attention turned towards us. My heartbeat quickened, my anxiety rose, and I clutched Kris's arm tighter. Bora sat in a dark corner of the room with chains on her wrists. Her hair was a mess and her face held a blank expression. Two guys stood in front of her as if they were guarding her. At the center of the room stood a figure of a man with his back turned towards us. He was dressed in a very formal black suit and stood with his arms behind his back.

"Ah, Kris, we were waiting for you," said the man in the center. He slowly turned around and faced me and Kris. Kris only nodded his head as a response and his face held a blank expression. The man was about in his mid forties and had quite a handsome face. Like Kris, Bora, and Soyou, this man also held very dark eyes and very pale skin. He must be a vampire too. I then examined the other people within the room and saw the same traits. They must all be vampires.

What have I gotten myself into?