Special Girl

Special Girl

Sitting up in her bed in the white hospital room, Eunnae heaved out a sigh, turning her head out the window, droplets of rain hitting against the window.

*Another rainy day.* She thought. She leaned her head back and leaned against the soft pillows. Eunnae slowly reached out her hands and took the remote control, turning on the television. Her expression immediately brightens up, upon seeing her favourite K-POP group – Infinite. While watching them performing BTD, her eyes stays on one member – Hoya, he was her favourite member among all 7 members. Of course she loves all the members but she was more drawn to Hoya more. Everything about him was perfect to her.

Her smile was brighter than any other days before. But the performance ended and Eunnae had gone back to her expressionless face. The nurse; who was outside gazed at Eunnae with a sad expression, not knowing how to break the news to her – that she only had two weeks left to live, she took a deep breath and slid the door open, taking quiet steps in.

Eunnae turned her head to the nurse and blinked her eyes. Eunnae never talked to the nurses or doctors here. She only asked by pointing her fingers or writing it on a piece a paper. The same thing when she answers, a nod or writing it on a piece of paper.

“Eunnae-ah,” Nurse Hwang said softly with a small smile. “There is something I must tell you. I’m afraid it’s not good news.”

Eunnae only nodded and blinked at the nurse. Nurse Hwang sighed and took a seat beside Eunnae. She took Eunnae’s hands into hers and gave it a light squeeze. She looked into Eunnae’s eyes which had no expression.

“Eunnae-ah,” Nurse Hwang said, barely audible. “You … only have two weeks left to live.” She finally said.

It felt like the world turned upside down when she heard the news. Two weeks left to live. Eunnae blinked her eyes in disbelief, her lips partly opened.

*Please tell me it’s a lie.* Eunnae said through her eyes. Nurse Hwang understood what her eyes meant and shook her head. “I’m sorry Eunnae-ah, I should have told you earlier but … we were scared to tell you. I’m sorry.”

Eunnae shook her head, signalling that it’s not their fault. ‘Please stop blaming yourself.’ Eunnae traced the words onto the nurse’s hand. Nurse Hwang looked up and smiled a little.

“Is there anything you want to ask before you …” Nurse Hwang trailed off, not daring to say that one word.

‘I want to meet Infinite. Is that possible?’ She traced on the nurse’s hand after a few minutes. Nurse Hwang looked up at Eunnae and smiled, nodding.

“I’ll have a talk with the doctor. Just wait here. While you wait, Nurse Lee will arrive here with your food.”

Eunnae nodded and watched the nurse walked out of the room. With another sigh, she turned her head out to the window; she immediately wiped the single tear drop that trickled down her cheek.

*Wow, two weeks left to live. I wonder how mother and father will take this. I don’t think they even care. After all they did abandon me …* Eunnae chewed on her lower lip and sunk down onto the bed. Nurse Lee came in with food and placed the tray on the table. Eunnae didn’t each much as she didn’t have much of an appetite. She ate only a few spoons and pushed away the tray.

Nurse Lee sighed, taking the tray away and left the room. Eunnae was once again left alone in her room, the sky gray and gloomy. She made her bed straight and lay down, pulling the covers above her shoulders as she snuggles into her blanket. Her eyes slowly drop and closed, her breathing evens out and she’s fast asleep.

~

Seven boys drenched in sweat as they continue to practice to their comeback song. Their manager comes in and abruptly stopped their practice. The boys looked at their manager, questioning him.

“Hyung, why did you stop our practice?” Sunggyu asked, since he was the leader of Infinite.

“Your comeback will be pushed back to a week.”

“Why?” Sungjong, the maknae asked.

“A doctor from Seoul Hospital has requested a favour from the president and asked if Infinite can visit one of his patients for a week. The doctor said that his patient is a big fan of Infinite.”

“How long are we going to visit her for?” Hoya asked.

“One week.”

“One week?” They all hollered with wide eyes.

“”Please, for her. She doesn’t …” The manager trailed off, not sure if it’s the right thing to tell them.

“Doesn’t what hyung?” Dongwoo asked, feeling that their manager is hiding something.

“She doesn’t have much to live.” He sighed.

“Eh?”

“She was abandoned by her parents since she was five but she has been diagnosed with brain and lung cancer since birth. She only has two weeks left to live. She never once talked, smiled or laughed. According to the nurses and doctors, she only laughed or smiles when you guys were on variety shows or when you’re performing.”

The boys of Infinite stared at their manager in shock.

“She’s a big fan of you. Ever since your debut, although she was in the hospital, her relatives were a bit rich. The television that you have in the dorm was bought and sent by her with the help of her uncle. Please do it as a favour for her.” He pleaded.

“Okay, we’ll do it.” Hoya said when no one had said anything.

The members looked at him.

“We can’t turn down a request from an almost dying fan can we?”

“No, we’re not heartless to do that.” Sunggyu smiled. “When are we meeting her hyung?”

“Tomorrow morning, the doctors and nurses want it to be a surprise for her. One of the nurses had asked her what she wanted before she leaves this world, but of course she didn’t say that word but she knew it. Her wish was to see Infinite, at least for a day or two. But considering she was diagnosed with brain cancer and only had two weeks left to live, the president has decided to make you guys visit her for one week so he pushed back your comeback.”

“Okay, then. We’ll meet her tomorrow and hopefully we can make her talk.” Sungjong said with a big smile on his face, even though his heart hurt when he heard that their fan only had two weeks left to live.

“That’s all so pack up; we’ll get back to the dorm now.” The manager said and left the room, leaving the boys speechless.

“Wow … this is just …” L, the quietest member who had just spoken a word since the whole thing.

Woohyun looked at L. “You only talk now?”

“Oh shut up.” L muttered and went over to the side and took his bag.

“That goes for you as well hyung.” Sungjong said. “You haven’t said anything until now.” He grinned.

“Why you –”

“Manager Hyung doesn’t have all the time, come on. Get your stuffs and into the van.” Sunggyu said tapping his invisible watch.

The members rolled their eyes at their leader but did as told. Sungyeol was the last one to leave so he locked the practice room and ran to the members.

“Took you long enough,” L muttered. “I thought you didn’t know how to lock a door.”

“Hey, there were too many keys.” Sungyeol pouted.

“Myungyeol couple fight strikes again.” Hoya teased them with a grin.

Both Sungyeol and L shot their hyung a glare who only grinned back. He turned to the manager.

“Oh hyung, you forgot to tell us how old she is.” Dongwoo said as he yawned.

“Ah, yes … I did forget.” He said with a sigh. “She’s 15 years old.”

Infinite stared at their manager, wide eyes, not believing their ears.

“She’s f-f-fifteen years old?” Sungjong shrieked. “Oh my god  ...”

The rest of the ride home was a quiet one, as each of the members had different thoughts about Eunnae.

*Poor girl, she’s so young and to die at that age…* Six of the member’s thought and shook their head.

*Hyung forgot to tell us her name. He’s so forgetful these days. I wonder how she looks like.* Sungjong thought with a small smile on his face. *I wonder if she’ll smile for us. I wonder if she looks innocent, pure and cute. Gosh, I can’t wait to meet her tomorrow.*

The members looked over to Sungjong and rolled their eyes.

“Someone looks happy.” Woohyun mumbled as he continued to stare blankly ahead.

~

Morning came, the bright sun shone through the white curtains, blinding Eunnae’s eye even though it was still closed. She still squint her eyes and opened it slowly. Her vision blurry as it slowly became clearer.

A sigh escaped. *Another day of boredness.* She thought as Nurse Lee and Nurse Hwang came inside with a bright smile. *Why do they look so happy?*

The nurses didn’t say anything and took Eunnae out of her bed slowly. Eunnae slowly walked out of the room, and it was her first time going out of her room. Eunnae soon arrived at an empty room which was strange because there was a table filled with food that cannot be eaten by one person.

Eunnae tilted her head at the nurses but they said nothing. The nurses made her sit down on the comfy soft chair. She sat there questioning herself why she was here. Her eyes stopped at a red curtain that was just in front of her. She frowned, hearing familiar voices.

“Shh, she’s already here. Hyung be quiet.” Sungjong scolded Woohyun as he couldn’t stay quiet.

“Hey, it’s not my fault that I’m excited to meet her.” Woohyun argued.

“Shut up both of you.” Sunggyu hissed quietly.

Both Sungjong and Woohyun shut their mouths and kept quiet. Eunnae on the other hand kept staring at the curtain. *Why does their voices sound so familiar?*

“Hyung, when do we go out?” Hoya asked.

*That sounds like Hoya oppa.* Eunnae widened her eyes but then shook her head. *There’s no way Infinite would be here. They’re getting ready for their comeback.*

“When our music comes on,” Sungyeol said. “Let’s be quiet, I want to hear what they’re talking about.”

Infinite kept quiet as Nurse Lee and Nurse Hwang kept talking to Eunnae who only responded with a nod. The members of Infinite cursed inwardly, and wished the curtain wasn’t red but white.

“Eunnae-ah,” Nurse Lee said softly. “Who is your favourite member in Infinite?” She asked, as the boys listened closely, wanting to know who Eunnae liked among them.

‘Hoya’ she traced on Nurse Lee’s hand.

“Ah, your favourite member is Hoya?”

Eunnae nodded and Hoya fist bumped in the air, looking at s with a big grin while the members rolled their eyes at Hoya.

“Eunnae-ah,” Nurse Hwang said this time. “We have a small present for you. We have invited a special guest to spend some time with you for one week.” She smiled.

*Who?* Eunnae tilted her head. Her eyes widened when Infinite’s ‘Can You Smile’ song played.

One by one the member’s came out when they sung their part. The nurses had already left. Eunnae stared at Infinite in awe as they performed Can You Smile. Her eyes were fixed on Hoya the whole performance, but when he his part, Hoya walked up to Eunnae and handed her a small teddy bear. Immediately Eunnae smiled as she took the teddy bear. The boys were stunned by Eunnae’s beautiful smile.

*Her smile is so beautiful.* they all thought.

The song ended and Eunnae hesitantly clapped. One by one they all introduced themselves, even though Eunnae already know their names.

“What is your name?” Sungjong asked as he sat down beside Eunnae.

Eunnae blinked at Sungjong and shyly took his hand. The members looked at her, confused.

‘My name is Eunnae.’ She wrote on the palm of his hand.

“Her name is Eunnae.” Sungjong smiled.

But the room was quiet and awkward. None of them doesn’t know what to do, neither was Eunnae. It was a total surprise for her. She didn’t know that the doctor would actually call Infinite and have them visit her for one week.

“Eunnae-ah,” Hoya called out softly as he crouched down. “Why won’t you talk?” He asked politely, taking her hands into his.

‘I don’t know.’

“She doesn’t know.”

‘I want to but I’m scared.’

“She wants to but she’s scared.”

“Scared? Why?” Sunggyu asked.

‘My parents never like me talking. They always told me to shut up or beat me up when I talk… and I’m afraid of them.’

Hoya froze and blinked at the ground.

“Hyung what did she say?” L and Sungyeol said in unison.

Hoya breathed out slowly. “She said that her parents never liked her talking, they always told her to shut up or either beat her up when she talked… and she’s afraid of them.”

The members stared in shocked and Eunnae avoided their eye contact.

“But Eunnae-ah, you know that we won’t hit you. We want to hear you talk.” Sungjong pouted.

‘I … can try?’ She wrote on Sungjong’s hand.

Sungjong immediately brightened up. “Y-You’ll try?” He asked.

Eunnae nodded and looked down.

“Eunnae said she can try talking to us.”

They all had a big smile, especially Hoya when they heard that Sungjong had just told them that Eunnae will try to talk. Hoya was somehow drawn to her and patted her head. Eunnae blushed at the contact and looked down.

“You’ll have to call us oppa. Okay?” Sungyeol said with a high pitched voice.

They, including Eunnae, looked at Sungyeol with a ‘what-the-hell’ expression. Sungyeol saw them and sheepishly smiled. Eunnae couldn’t help but to smile a bit which made Sungyeol grin.

“Where do you want to go?” Sunggyu and Woohyun said at the same time.

“Woogyu strikes again.” Sungjong snickered.

“Shut up, just because you don’t get partnered with anyone.” Woohyun playfully smacked the back of Sungjong’s head.

“Ow! Hyung,” Sungjong pouted and hid behind Eunnae. “Woohyun hyung is mean right?” He asked her with puppy eyes.

Eunnae only blinked at him and then looked at Woohyun, who was grinning, then back at Sungjong.

‘Maybe a little…?’ She wrote. Sungjong grinned but didn’t tell them.

“So where do you want to go?” Sunggyu asked.

‘Hm… anywhere… I haven’t gone out of the hospital so I don’t know where to go.’ This time, she wrote in on a note book that was beside her, given by the nurses. She was a bit too lazy to write it out with her fingers.

‘But if we go out, wouldn’t fans question why you’re with me?’

“Ah, you haven’t watched the news or the newspapers yet haven’t you?” Dongwoo asked.

‘You finally talked?’

The members snickered and Dongwoo pouted.

“I was waiting for a chance to talk but Sungjong and the others seem to be talking non-stop. I’m not the only one.” Dongwoo pointed at L who looked expressionless.

Eunnae blinked, staring at L. It seemed like she was staring at L, but her eyes were fixed behind him. Her eyes widened in shock as she trembled in fear. Her parents were at the door. Sungjong felt Eunnae trembling and was about to ask her what’s wrong when he followed her eyes.

“Excuse me, but may I ask who are you?” Sungjong asked as he stood up, placing a hand on Eunnae’s shoulder, giving it a light squeeze.

The members, even L, turned around but they all saw Eunnae’s feared expression and how she was trembling, and they all feared for the worst.

“We are her parents.”

*I knew it!* they all thought.

“And who are you?”

“We are Infinite.” Sunggyu said.

Eunnae’s father snickered. “What kind of name is Infinite? That’s the worst name I’ve ever heard. What are you, some K-POP group?”

Eunnae clenched her fists while the members appeared calm.

“Yes, we are under Woolim Entertainment.”

“Why are you here?” Eunnae’s mother asked this time as she scanned them with her eyes.

*She’s ing annoying.*Hoya thought, but his eyes lingered on Eunnae who seemed angry now.

“We’re here upon the doctor’s request to visit her for one week.” Sunggyu answered.

“Why?”

‘Please don’t tell them.’ Eunnae traced on Sunggyu’s back.

“I’m afraid you’ll have to ask the doctor’s. We weren’t given any information. We were just told that she was unwell and wished to see us.” Woohyun answered, since he saw what Eunnae had traced on Sunggyu’s back.

“I don’t care who you boys are, but I would be happy if you don’t crowd around my daughter. Idol or not, you guys aren’t even good looking.” Mr Kim scoffed. “I don’t even think you have –”

Eunnae abruptly stood up, making the chair fall back. The chair fell onto the ground making a loud bang. The boys of Infinite looked at her in concern while she glares at her own parents.

“D-Don’t you dare insult them.” Eunnae spoke, even though her voice trembled. Eunnae took a deep breath and let it back out. “You abandoned me. So why are you here?”She scoffed. “Is it sympathy?” She scoffed again. “I don’t need it from you.”

Her parents gasped.

“How dare you talk back to us?” Her father roared, as Eunnae whimpered in fear, hiding behind Dongwoo since he was beside her.

“What is going on?” The doctors rushed in. “Please leave. I have told you many times, you are not permitted to see Eunnae.”

“Why? We are her parents.” Mrs Kim raised her voice. “We have the rights to see her.” She demanded.

“Did you escape the prison just to come here and hurt her again?” Nurse Lee said as she rushed inside and hugged Eunnae.

“Leave.” The doctor and nurse said.

“No, and that is final.” They both said.

“Then we’ll have to do it by force.”

“What?” Mrs Kim and Mr Kim said.

Just in time, the police force came inside and hand cuffed them, taking them out of the room.

--

Eunnae was back in her hospital room, the boys of Infinite sitting around.

*I just talked… but this time back at them.* Eunnae thought as she looked out of the window.

Sunggyu and the boys gazed at Eunnae, all having the same thoughts. *Not only her smile is beautiful, her voice sounds like an angel’s voice. But for her to have such cruel parents.* A sigh escaped their lips, making Eunnae look at them.

*Why are they sighing? It should be me sighing.* Eunnae thought as she let out an inaudible sigh. *What to do? It’s only been a day and now I don’t feel like going out.* Eunnae pouted.

Hoya, who was silently gazing at Eunnae, saw her pout. For unknown reason, his heart raced. *Her pout is so adorable. What the hell am I thinking? And why is my heart beating so fast?*

Sungjong looked up and saw Eunnae gazing out of the window sadly, and an idea popped up in his head.

“Eunnae-ah, do you want to go to Lotte World tomorrow?” Sungjong asked, skipping over to Eunnae and sat down beside her.

‘Lotte World?’ She wrote. ‘What is that?’

Sungjong pouted, “Aw you said you’ll try talking. Oh wells, I won’t force you to.” He smiled.

“It’s an amusement park, with lots of rides and food.” L said, appearing beside her. “Do you want to go?”

Eunnae nodded her head, a small smile appearing on her face. *I can’t believe it. I’m going to have Infinite beside me for one week. This will be the best present before I die.*

Before the boys could say anything, Nurse Lee came inside with a tray of food for Eunnae.

“Eunnae-ah, this time you have to eat a lot if you want to go out tomorrow okay?”

“She doesn’t eat much?” Woohyun asked.

Nurse Lee shook her head. “She only eats one or two spoons and refuses to eat more.” She placed the tray on the table, and helped Eunnae sit up.

“That’s no good.” Sunggyu scolded. “You have to eat a lot today okay? At least try?”

Eunnae nodded, picking up the spoon slowly. She took a bite and stopped. Her eyes trailed up, blinking and then she blushed. Swallowing her food she wrote: ‘Can you not stare at me while I’m eating?’

“Oh err – sorry.” They said sheepishly while grinning.

But nonetheless they continued to stare at Eunnae so Eunnae decided to ignore them. In the end she only ate about half of the food. But it was better than before, since she ate a bit more than other time – which was good.

(A week later)

Eunnae had a great time with Infinite for the past one week; even though they still visited her from time to time on the second week despite their busy comeback, but now she knows that she won’t be seeing them ever again. Eunnae lay on the hard bed in her hospital room as she feels herself growing weaker, her heart rate slowing down at a slow rate as she tried to breaths normally.

Over the past weeks as she spent her last weeks with Infinite, she grew feelings towards Hoya but kept it to herself. Likewise, Hoya started to have feelings for Eunnae and had paid more attention to her more than other members.

Looking up at the dully lit ceiling of her room, Eunnae’s vision slowly blurs. She gasped but her heart rate was slowing at the same slow speed.

*Must… write a letter to Infinite.*

Eunnae tried as hard as she could to keep her vision clear as she wrote the letter to infinite, her hands were shaky as she tried to keep her writing neat, clogging as she tried to breathe for air. Before she could even finish off her letter to infinite, her arm dropped down to her sides. Her left hand which held the letter fell to the ground as the pen in her right hand rolled off the bed, clattering down onto the floor as only one beep was heard. Eunnae’s heart had stopped beating, no breathings as the doctors and nurses rushed into her room.

“Doctor Shin,” One of the nurses called out as she picked up Eunnae’s unfinished letter, her vision blurred by her tears that were forming. She cupped with her free hand, preventing herself to cry. “She’s just so young… and to have passed away at this age.” She said softly.

“There was nothing we could do,” Doctor Shin said sadly. “I’ll give the letter to the boys. They won’t be happy.” He said as he looked at the unfinished letter.

--

Two days later, the president of Woolim entertainment was contacted and had received the sad breaking news about Eunnae. Doctor Shin had requested if Infinite could attend her funeral, it was her parent’s wish.

Fifteen hours later, on the same day, Infinite arrived at the funeral place dressed in black with sad expressions. Eunnae’s parents were glad that Infinite had attended their daughter’s funeral and they were sure Eunnae was happy.

Everyone had gone, but the boys of Infinite stayed back, their heads looking down, tears threatening to fall as they all gazed at the tombstone with sad expressions, especially Hoya; who has feelings for Eunnae.

“Boys,” Eunnae’s mother approached them. “Doctor Shin had wanted to give this to you, it’s not finished but I’m sure Eunnae wants you to read it.”

Sunggyu hesitantly took the letter and looked at the letter in his hands. He looked back up, only to see Eunnae’s parents giving them a sad smile before leaving the cemetery.

“W-We should read her l-letter,” Sungjong sniffed. “S-So who’s going to read it out loud?”

(Back in Infinite’s dorm)

They had just gotten back from the funeral, but they haven’t read the letter yet.

“The letter,” L said softly as he took it from Sunggyu’s hand.

L opened the letter, his hands were a bit shaky but he managed to open it. His eyes skimmed through the letter and silently gasped. Clearing his voice, L read the letter softly, but loud enough for his hyung’s and dongsaeng to hear it.

“Dear Infinite-oppa’s, for the past 2 weeks you have spent with me were great. But it’s heartbreaking to know that I’ll never see you again. You know what? I never thought I would meet the idol that I fell in love with the moment I saw you guys perform Nothing’s Over. I really like all the members, keke.

Ever since you pushed your comeback back for another a week to spend time with me, and to even spend time with me when you had your busy comeback stages, I was really happy when you came and visited me.
I was really happy when I saw oppa’s coming out from behind the curtain. The times you spent with me, playing with me, taking me to places I’ve never been in my whole life, and thanks to you, I was able to talk a little.

Sunggyu oppa, Woohyun oppa, thank you for caring for me and looking after me. Both oppa’s were like parents to me. Sunggyu oppa the father and Woohyun oppa as the mother, keke, it was really funny when the two of you argued over which hat to give to me. Dongwoo oppa, Sungyeol oppa, thank you for always making me laugh even though there was nothing to laugh about. I guest your laugh is just contagious. You do resemble a dinosaur… maybe just a little bit, kekeke.”

L swallowed a lump of saliva that was stuck in his throat, even though he and the members were already crying. L continued, even though it was very hard for him since he was trying to hold back and not cry out loud.

“Sungjong oppa, thank you for always staying by my side, and clinging to me like a cute koala even though there was no need to. But I really love your company; it made me feel more loved keke.

Ah… I have to finish this letter; my time is running out, my hands are really shaky when I’m trying to write this neatly. Can you read my writing oppa? I hope you can. L oppa, even though you didn’t talk much, I know that you cared for me. You secretly came to keep me company at night. You snuck out didn’t you? Bad oppa but then you made me less lonely.

And lastly Hoya oppa; my favourite member of Infinite, everything was like a dream when you talk to me or even pat my or hug me.

I’m very grateful to have met you all before I leave this world… one last thing…

Hoya oppa –” L trailed off as he stared at the sentence. “Hyung… I think you should read this part.” He said softly before passing the letter over to Hoya.

Hoya looked at the letter and choked. “She loves me…” he sniffed. “But t-the letter isn’t finished.”

“What does say after that?” Sunggyu asked as he wiped away his tears, looking up at Hoya and the members who all have tear stains on their cheeks.

“Thank you for spending the last two weeks with me. I, – and it ends there.” Hoya took a deep breath, his hands trembles as he places the letter down. “I need fresh air.” Hoya stood up, slips on his shoes and left the dorm.

None of the members moved from their spot and all they did for the whole day was to stare at the unfinished letter that Eunnae had written for them.

Hoya on the other hand, was at an empty park. “I love you…” Hoya whispered as he looked up at the dark, gloomy sky, the rain pouring down as if it knew what he was feeling, and hiding his tears that he shed while looking up at the sky.