Numbers

Numbers

 

“Hey guys, good job tonight! I mean, we won!”

The members piled into the 11th floor dorm, looking beat but nonetheless elated, after a day packed with schedules and an evening filled with utter excitement. They had just returned from the MAMA awards show, celebrating a victory of three wins in one night.

From his spot on the sofa, Yesung chuckled. “Couldn’t have done it without you, hyung.”

Leeteuk sighed, a hint of a saddened expression flashing through his eyes before being once again replaced with a soft smile. “Hey, I’m not going to be around forever. And when I’ve gone to enlist in the army, you need to take care of yourselves. You hear me?”

Enlisting was a topic that none of them wanted to bring up often, but Leeteuk knows that someday… it’s going to happen and become reality. He just wished that everything didn’t have to end so soon.

Seeing everybody’s sudden grim faces, he forces an awkward laugh, trying to brush it off because this is not a matter that should be discussed tonight. “Ah, what am I doing… spoiling all our moods. Tonight is for happiness! Celebration and no tears!” he scolded with a mock frown.

Leeteuk takes the members’ coats lying around the room, and carries them to hang in the closet. “You guys need some sleep. Thanks for working hard tonight, everyone. Breakfast at 7am tomorrow, don’t forget!”

By now, most of his dorm mates have retired to their own rooms, changing into pajamas and brushing their teeth before climbing into bed and calling it a night.

The 12th floor members stood up in the living room, some stretching out their sore limbs before shuffling to the door and turning the lock. “Good night, Teukie hyung,” called Hyukjae’s voice.

Good night, see you tomorrow,” Leeteuk yawned as the last of them stepped out, shutting the door behind them.

More than ready to just flop into bed and never wake up, Leeteuk walks to his shared room with Kyuhyun, after turning off the living room lights, the kitchen lights, and the television. Assuming that everyone was already asleep, Leeteuk was surprised to walk in and see Kyuhyun still awake. Said maknae was sitting at the edge of their window, forehead pressed to the glass and knees curled to his chest.

“Kyuhyun-ah, it’s late,” Leeteuk whispered. “You should-“

“Don’t go,” came Kyuhyun’s voice, hoarse and a little cracked.

“Hmm? Go where? Kyu-ah… what happened? What’s wrong?” Leeteuk gasped when Kyuhyun turned away from the window to face him, cheeks stained with tears. His eyes were swollen, the still-wet tear tracks glistening as Kyuhyun slowly stood up.

“Everything is wrong, hyung. Don’t go. Please…” He started walking towards Leeteuk; his lower lip was trembling and his eyes became red again as more tears threatened to fall. “Don’t leave us, hyung… don’t leave me,” Kyuhyun whimpered. “You’re our leader. And you have been for 6 years now. What’s going to happen to us? Hyung, don’t go…”

“Oh you, come here,” he opened his arms as Kyuhyun stumbles into them, muffling his sobs in Leeteuk’s shoulder when the tears finally break free again. The leader brushes a soothing hand up and down Kyuhyun’s back, as his own eyes began to get wet as well.

“Kyuhyun, Kyuhyun-ah… don’t be silly,” Leeteuk cooes into his ear. I still have to do Super Show 4, remember? I’m not leaving just yet…” His voice almost trembles, but he wants to stay strong to comfort his dongsaeng.

“But-“

“Shhh. I know, I know. But I’m here right now, so let’s not think about it too much, alright? Besides, even if I do leave, two years will come and go before you know it! You’ll barely miss me and I’ll already be back.”

Leeteuk holds Kyuhyun for a while until his shakes and shudders have died down considerably, before pressing a light kiss to the younger’s temple. “Now come, it’s time to sleep. We’ll talk again in the morning.”

Moments later, Leeteuk climbs under the covers beside Kyuhyun, one arm cushioning the other’s neck, the other hand gently threading through his soft locks.

“Hey… if you could have anything right now, what would it be?” Leeteuk asks as they prepared to fall asleep.

“I wouldn’t want anything but this, Teukie hyung. I want us. Super Junior. I want thirteen members to be together again. I want Zhoumi and Henry to be part of our family. I wish Hangeng hyung, Kangin hyung, and Kibum could be here with us. I want Hangeng hyung to be SJ-M’s leader again… hyung, I could be living on the streets and I’d still be happy because I have all of you by my side. I don’t want us to ever separate. I want us to laugh together, cry together. I wish this didn’t have to end; I want to make music again. With everybody. I just really, really want us to be complete again. And most of all, I want you to be Super Junior’s leader forever.” Kyuhyun takes a breath before closing his eyes and sighing.

“Sapphire Blue… should be… everlasting…” he whispers before drifting off to sleep, feeling safe and warm within the elder’s embrace.

Leeteuk lets his eyelids slip shut, just as he feels a single tear roll down his cheek. He rests his chin atop the maknae’s head, heart silently breaking because everything Kyuhyun had said was right.

“Indeed, Kyuhyun… indeed.”

And deep in their hearts, they both knew that if they just believe, one day… Super Junior will be whole again; as a group of 13, and a family of 15.

--