Final

Colours

 

Colours Final

 

 

My life is in black and white.

Everything I see has no colour. No green trees, no blue skies, no warm orange fire. 

Just grey fields, white Christmas lights and black roads...

I wonder what it would be like to see colour; to see the rainbows in the sky after the rain, to experience what people see…

My doctor already told me that I could not change the way I saw the world. I even asked him about surgery but it was just another dead end. 

"Lila, you cannot change how you see the world. You're born colour-blind and will stay colour-blind. Maybe in the afterlife you can see the green trees and blue skies," My doctor reassured me, but I didn’t felt 'reassured' at all.

I don't WANT to wait until I die! 



Being colour-blind is like looking at the rough draft of a picture; dull and uninteresting. 

When I would go to work at a local club, the stage lights were all white to me. My co-workers would ask if I could hand them the green bottle, but every bottle was the same colour, so no one would ask me anymore. I felt like I was being a burden.


I thought that everything I would do would be terrible. Everyone I would meet would be terrible...


Until I saw him.

Tall, beautiful, polite and mature.
When he sang, his voice sounded like the angels from above...

 

At first I didn't get why he was so cheery since I found out that he too was colour-blind, but then I found my answer.




Every week, I would see him help his grandmother out with groceries and with the local citizens with different tasks. At night, he would come to the club and sing his heart out for the world to hear. 

 

He did all those things with a smile because he was strong.

 


Hwang Minhyun was the one who helped me open up to the world; to have a better perspective on life. He's the one who changed my life.

 


"Don't you ever get tired of seeing black and white?” he asked while he walked me to the parking lot.

"Always," was my reply. 

"Why?"

"There's nothing interesting in the world when everything's all in black and white." 

"But what IF there was?"

"What do you mean?" I curiously asked.



There was a moment of silence before he spoke.



"Have you ever experienced love?"

I thought about it for a second... Love? 

"Everyone says it changes your life." I reply, "I've never experienced it before though so I can't really say yes." 

"It does." He smiles. "It brings colour to your life."

Colour...? 

"So you experienced it before?" 

"I haven't but I got someone in mind." He said with a smile.

"And who might that be?" I asked as we approached my car.
 

 

He took a step forward.

 



"It's you." He whispered before his lips crashed onto mine.