Lady in Red

Lady in Red

This ended up being the longest one-shot I've ever written so far...9000+ words. Just warning you now, Its kind of boring, and cliche like a bad romantic comedy movie without the comedy. =_=

-

Twenty-three-year old Nam Woohyun scooted into the backseat of the taxi cab beside one of his best friends, Jang Dongwoo on a rainy spring afternoon.

“To the Hysterie Hotel on 9th.” Dongwoo leaned over and shot the cab driver a friendly smile.

Woohyun sighed somberly, leaning his head on the dirty window, as the cab descended onto the main road amongst the busy traffic of the city.

“I can’t believe it’s already In Guk hyung’s wedding!” Dongwoo bounced in his seat. “Isn’t it great?”

“Well…he and Eunji-sshi have been together for ages, so…” Woohyun muttered, rather bitterly, eyes focused on the raindrops dancing along the window pane.

Dongwoo pouted. “Yah, aren’t you happy for him?”

“Sure, but…” Woohyun sighed, turning to the older man. “Am I…Dongwoo am I ugly?”

“Huh?” Dongwoo laughed.

“I’m serious!” Woohyun frowned. “How come I’m still alone? Why don’t I have a girlfriend yet? Aren’t I good looking? Don’t I have a great personality?”

“And you’re so humble too.” Dongwoo joked.

“Aish, forget it.” Woohyun folded his arms, staring out the window. “There’s no point talking to someone like you.”

“Then who else are you gonna talk to? That moldy watermelon that you drew eyes on with a sharpie and sometimes make out with when you think you’re alone?”

“I-I don’t make out with it!” Woohyun blushed. “And Stella noona is not moldy! She’s just…a little bent out of shape from overworking herself.”

Dongwoo merely slapped his knee from laughing too much. “I think you and Stella-sshi need to break up.” He suggested between bouts of laughter.

Woohyun rolled his eyes. “Shut up.”

::-::-::

The wedding ceremony had just ended and everyone was heading over to the hotel where the celebration would be at.

Woohyun and Dongwoo entered the hotel’s lobby, and an employee guided them to the ballroom which served as the venue for In Guk and Eunji’s wedding.

There were already people, dressed in suits and pretty dresses crowding into the large ballroom, which had been entirely decorated with a white floral theme.

“Well the venue isn’t too bad.” Woohyun remarked as he and Dongwoo took their seats at their assigned table.

“What are you, a critic?” Dongwoo chuckled. “We’re here to have fun and celebrate!”

“How am I supposed to have fun and celebrate, when I’m going to be alone for the rest of my life?” Woohyun sighed dramatically.

“You’re exaggerating.” Dongwoo played with his name plate excitably. “Besides…” He glanced around the room, spotting a group of girls about their age, giggling at the table next to theirs. “Maybe you’ll meet someone here?” Woohyun followed Dongwoo’s line of vision, and smirked.

“Well,” They both exchanged a mischievous grin. “Maybe I will~”

Just then the newly married couple entered and everyone cheered. They gave a quick speech thanking everyone for coming, and such, and then the music , and the party began.

Woohyun attempted to approach the girls he and Dongwoo had spotted before, but then a taller guy in a suit that was definitely more expensive than Woohyun’s walked up to them.

And only a minute later, the girls were all over him. Woohyun pouted, already losing hope in that venture. He grumpily grabbed a freshly baked bread stick off a passing waiter’s tray.

The waiter stopped, turning to him.

“That was for a table.”

“So?” Woohyun growled.

“So, give it back.” The waiter replied.

Woohyun eyed the waiter for a moment before blatantly running his tongue across the bread stick. Then he stuck it in the waiter’s face. “Still want it back?”

“.” The waiter muttered, before stalking off.

And the rest of the wedding went by quite smoothly after that.

They danced, they ate, they laughed, and they drank. Well Woohyun didn’t drink. Because he knew Dongwoo would, and then be too drunk to properly get home by himself. Which is exactly what happened.

The wedding ended and Woohyun was forced to drag a drunken Dongwoo through the hotel lobby. Dongwoo was muttering some nonsensical slurred words, and giggling uncontrollably.

Woohyun merely answered a “Yes, Dongwoo,” and “We’re going home now,” a couple of times, as he tried to avoid the strange looks people were giving them.

But then he saw a flash of red before his eyes, and found his gaze following a flowing red chiffon gown. He turned as he saw shimmering locks of brown hair on the most beautiful woman he had ever laid eyes on. Well, the back of one.

But that was all he needed. His heart had skipped a beat.

The girl tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, and he struggled to see her face. But it was no use and she was already getting farther and farther away.

Woohyun knew this was fate. He felt it was destiny. Because he was the type of person who still believed in such romantic notions.

He hurriedly propped Dongwoo onto a sofa in the lobby, and hurried after the girl. But she was already in the elevator and the doors had closed.

“Damn it…” He cursed, his fingers feeling the cold metal of the closed elevator door. He was trembling in anxiety and excitement. He knew this could be the one and only chance he had at love. So he waited. He even went so far as checking into the hotel, so he could stay the night and wait.

After dumping the sleepy Dongwoo on the bed of the hotel room he paid for, he headed back into the lobby. He attempted to appear inconspicuous as he paced the lobby. Sometime during the night he got hungry, and walked a few blocks to the nearest grocery store to refuel. As he was deciding what flavor of cup ramen to get, he saw a girl walk past him with a flower in her hair. He smiled to himself and headed to the floral department. If he was going to confess to this beautiful stranger, he would do it the right way. He picked the prettiest rose bouquet and paid for it along with his noodles.

::-::-::

He checked his phone for the fifth time. It was already morning and he had stayed up all night, waiting for the girl. She had to leave eventually, he figured. And when she did, he would be there. He yawned sleepily, and checked his appearance with his phone’s camera. He had to look his best after all.

The elevator dinged, and he immediately looked up, but it was merely an elderly couple heading to the front desk. He sighed, dejectedly, and sank back down on the couch. He was getting hungry, and his head ached from not sleeping the whole night.

Just when he was about to lose hope, there she was, stepping out of the elevator. But this time she wasn’t wearing the red dress anymore. She had on a chic khaki trench, dark jeans, long boots, and large framed sunglasses. Woohyun recognized her, however, because of her long gleaming locks.

He hastily smoothed his tuxedo jacket, and adjusted his bowtie, as he nervously stood up. He had replayed scenarios about how this would go over and over all night in his head. But now that she was in his sight, his mind drew a blank. She was just so stunning. Her skin was milky white, and practically flawless, and she had the prettiest lips.

Woohyun grabbed the rose bouquet he had prepared and made his way towards her, but she was already heading out, carrying an overnight bag with her.

This was his chance. He hurried after her. Just walk up to her, he told himself. Just say hi.

But it was far too scary and she was far too pretty. Definitely out of his league. So he continued following her down the street making sure to keep a safe distance, so he wouldn’t seem suspicious.

They walked for twenty minutes, when the girl suddenly stopped and turned, walking up the steps of an old looking house on a rather dirty street. Woohyun quickly hid behind a nearby bush, as the girl went about getting out her keys and unlocking the door. He squinted to see her face, but to no avail. He just wanted to see her eyes. He was sure they would be just as beautiful as the rest of her. But she already entered her house and shut the door behind her.

Woohyun took a deep breath, clutching nervously onto the roses. He didn’t really know what he was doing. Obviously he couldn’t just knock on the door. What would he even say? Hey I just met you, and this is crazy, but here’s my number, so call me—.

No, this isn’t the time for jokes, Woohyun shook his head. He didn’t care anymore He had nothing to lose. He stalked up the steps, biting his lip, as he hesitantly knocked. As soon as the door opened, he the flowers forward, and kept his head down.

“You’re really pretty, and I fell for you at first sight! Please go out with me!” He didn’t mean to sound so timid, but that’s what happened. He couldn’t even look up, afraid of what she would think of someone like him.

“Aish, not again.”

That…was definitely not a girl’s voice.

Woohyun slowly looked up to see a man with light brown hair and rather small eyes. He had on sweat pants, and a baggy t-shirt, and was shooting Woohyun an annoyed look.

Something about him seemed awfully familiar though.

“Y-You…”

“Look kid, I suggest you forget all about her, ok?” The man sighed.

Woohyun felt his heart sink. This man…was probably her boyfriend, he figured.

“No…it can’t be.” He mumbled. He didn’t want to believe it. He had to confirm it first, before giving up. “Are you…what’s your relationship with her?” He questioned, with a look of determination.

The man seemed taken off guard by Woohyun’s question, and pursed his lips slightly, seeming to be thinking about it.

“Why is he taking so long to answer?” Woohyun wondered, studying the man’s face. Something about him was definitely familiar. Those lips…

“Brother….” The man finally answered, averting his gaze. “I’m…her brother.”

“R-Really?” Woohyun felt his hopes lifting. He still had a chance. He bowed ninety degrees. “Please hyung-nim! Let me date your sister!”

“W-What?” The man stuttered, wary of the looks passer-bys were giving them. “Y-Yah…”

“I’ll treat her very well!” Woohyun announced, his head still bowed. “I’ll never hurt her! I promise!”

“N-No.” The man stammered. “Go away, please.”

“Please hyung-nim!” Woohyun took a step forward, sending the man his most earnest stare. “I’m the right man for her. I’ll treat her like a princess—no, a queen! You won’t regret—!”

Suddenly the door was slammed right in his face.

Woohyun blinked for two seconds, attempting to understand what just happened.

“Hyung-nim!” He knocked at the door. “Hyung-nim, please!”

::-::-::

“Who was at the door Sunggyu hyung?” A boy asked the man, as he strolled down the stairs.

“Yah Sungjong-ah!” Sunggyu turned to him. “You little brat!” He grabbed the boy, ruffling up his hair.

“Ah, hyung!” Sungjong whined. “Stop it hyung!”

“You really need to stop with that cross dressing hobby!” Sunggyu nagged. “I’m sick and tired of delusional men confessing at our doorstep.”

“It’s not a hobby.” Sungjong frowned. “And beside it wasn’t even for me. Sungyeol hyung lied to his old classmates that he had a girlfriend, but as we both know, he doesn’t. So he begged me to act like his girlfriend for the night at his high school reunion party thing. Don’t you remember?”

Sunggyu rolled his eyes. “I don’t know…whatever. But just stop doing that, from now on ok?”

“It’s not my fault others are demanding it.” Sungjong shrugged, as he headed to the kitchen.

“What about that guy outside?” Sunggyu sighed, as he followed Sungjong. “What’re we going to do about him?”

“Just leave him.” Sungjong replied, as he took a sip of milk straight from the carton. “He’ll give up eventually.

Sunggyu immediately took the carton from his younger brother, and shot him a disapproving glare. “But what if he doesn’t?”

“They get over it pretty quickly most of the time.” Sungjong grabbed an apple from the bowl on the counter. “Don’t worry about it, too much.”

Though Sungjong said that, Woohyun wasn’t like most other guys. He stood outside their door the whole afternoon.

Sunggyu peered out the window, to see Woohyun sitting at the steps, yawning, and clutching onto the same rose bouquet. Sunggyu wondered why he was wearing a tuxedo.

Then it hit Sunggyu.

That guy…” He recalled the wedding the day before, and that rude guest who grabbed the bread stick off his tray and shamelessly it. Sunggyu made a face. “He was that from the wedding…” He decided to completely ignore the man, like Sungjong had said. Besides he had other things to do. His bartending job started in half an hour, and the bar’s owner, promised that if he served enough drinks, Sunggyu and his band could perform on the bar’s special Friday amateur night.

Sunggyu was a musician. He and his band have been relatively unknown, and were just waiting for their chance to get discovered. But for now, a bar gig, sounded like just the chance they needed.

Sunggyu put on his uniform—black slacks and a white button up shirt—and headed into the living room. Sungjong was taking a nap on the couch. Sunggyu smiled at his younger brother, gently patting his head. Then he grabbed his bag, and headed out the front door.

Woohyun instantly stood up, as soon as he heard the door open.

There was noticeable disappointment in his eyes, at it being Sunggyu and not the girl he was waiting for. Sunggyu chose to ignore that, however and briskly hobbled down the steps and down the street. But Woohyun followed after him.

“Hyung-nim!” He shouted, attempting to catch up to Sunggyu. He probably could have caught up on a normal day, but right now, he was in a sleep-deprived, hungry, lovesick state, so he was relatively weak. “W-Wait!”

“Leave me alone!” Sunggyu barked, refusing to slow his pace. But he was forced to stop when he reached the bus stop, allowing Woohyun a chance to catch up.

“Hyung-nim, please…” Woohyun panted, as he stopped beside Sunggyu. “Please, just listen to me…”

Sunggyu didn’t say anything, pretending not to see the other man. But Woohyun mistakenly took it as a gesture to continue talking.

“Your sister…it was love at first sight, really.” Woohyun breathed. “She was just so beautiful…I know I don’t look like I would be enough for her, but I have a good job, and I—.”

“Liar.” Sunggyu muttered.

“…Huh?” Woohyun blinked. “I’m not lying—.”

“There’s no such thing as love at first sight.” Sunggyu turned to him. “If you think that bull will work—.”

“I would never.” Woohyun frowned. “I’m not bullting you…hyung-nim, you don’t believe in love at first sight?”

“No one does stupid. That’s just something guys say to get a girl in bed.” He snorted. “I should know…”

“Maybe you don’t believe in it…because it never happened to you before?” Woohyun murmured.

“What?” Sunggyu frowned. “It doesn’t happen to anyone!”

“Not with that attitude.” Woohyun pouted.

“Well excuse me.” Sunggyu rolled his eyes. “I don’t live in magical fairy tale land, where there’s rainbows and sunshine all the time. I live in the real world.”

“Neither do I.” Woohyun muttered, starting to get irritated, at the taller man’s condescending tone. “You don’t know me.”

“Whatever.”

“There’s nothing wrong with love at first sight!” Woohyun exclaimed. “That doesn’t make me some delusional idiot, just because I—.”

“Look, I really don’t care.” Sunggyu cut him off. “You’re right, I don’t know you. And honestly I don’t want to. So if you could stop bothering me and my family and hanging around on our doorstep, that would be great.” Sunggyu finished, just as the bus arrived. He was boarding the bus, and Woohyun merely watched. He felt irritated with this guy, and didn’t know why he was being such a cynical jerk. He didn’t want to just let him go like that. He didn’t even get to say all he wanted to say.

Before he knew it, he was hopping into the bus, and following Sunggyu to his seat.

“What the hell?” Sunggyu growled. “Stop following me.”

“I’m not.” Woohyun shrugged. “I just have somewhere to go.”

“Yeah,” Sunggyu rolled his eyes. ”I’m sure you do.”

::-::-::

As Sunggyu expected, Woohyun got out at the same stop he did, and followed him down the street.

Sunggyu stopped, turning to face the other man. “Seriously, stop following me.”

“I’m not.” Woohyun shrugged, hands in his pockets. He seemed to be breathing quite heavily for just walking a few blocks. But Sunggyu really couldn’t care less, and continued on into the bar, for his job. Woohyun curiously followed him inside, looking around the room.

It was dark, and there were people watching the game on the television propped up on the wall, while others chatted as they drank some beer. It was a pretty standard fare bar.

Woohyun felt a little dizzy as the bass of the sound system pounded in his ears, rattling his aching brain. He reached for the first seat he could and sank down on it, attempting to catch his breath. He hadn’t gone without sleep or food for this long, and it was really taking a toll on him. He looked up to see Sunggyu standing right in front of him, behind the bar.

“You…you work here?” Woohyun asked.

“And I suppose you coincidentally walked into this specific bar, and didn’t follow me?” Sunggyu snorted.

Woohyun chuckled lightly, leaning his chin on his hand. “Sure, let’s go with that.”

“Why are you even following me? I thought you liked my bro-uh…sister.” Sunggyu sighed, as he wiped the counter with the rag that was draped over his shoulder.

“But…I want your permission first.” Woohyun replied, hazily.

“Why?” Sunggyu raised an eyebrow.

“Because…” Woohyun smiled, rather greasily. “That’s what a real man would do.”

Sunggyu studied his face for a moment before shaking his head. “I don’t get you.”

“Good.” Woohyun grinned. “It’s not like you want to anyways. Isn’t that what you said before?”

Sunggyu snorted, and left to serve a man who had sat down on the other side of the bar counter.

Woohyun stuck his tongue out at the back of Sunggyu’s head, before pulling his phone out of his pocket. Suddenly his phone started ringing. It was Dongwoo.

“Oh .” Woohyun cursed, realizing he had forgotten Dongwoo at the hotel yesterday. He pondered for a moment whether he should answer it. He decided against it. After all Dongwoo wouldn’t be mad. And besides he was a resilient guy. He could manage on his own.

Woohyun turned his phone off, and returned his attention to Sunggyu. He had to figure out some way to win over that man. That was the only way to get that beautiful girl to be his.

Just then three guys in black and chains, and donned in all sorts of rock star like apparel sat down right beside Woohyun, and appeared to be calling on Sunggyu. The bartender turned and smirked when he saw them.

“Yah, what’re you guys doing here?” Sunggyu grinned.

Ah…” Woohyun thought. “So he can smile…”

“This is the place we’re going to be performing on Friday?” One of the guys, who, even Woohyun could tell, was extremely good looking, asked.

“Yeah.” Sunggyu nodded. “It’s not much, but…”

“But it’s a start.” Another of the guys with a canine like toothy grin said.

“Yeah.” Sunggyu smiled again, and Woohyun wondered why he didn’t smile all the time. He had a really nice, cute smile. It made the dim, sleazy bar much brighter. Sunggyu then turned to Woohyun, his smile completely fading. That made Woohyun frown as well, and avert his gaze. He didn’t even realize he was staring so intently at Sunggyu, and for some reason he felt slightly embarrassed.

“Hm?” The three turned to Woohyun, then back at Sunggyu.

“Who’s he?” The third guy, a tall skinny fellow asked.

“Oh him…” Sunggyu made a face at Woohyun. “Don’t talk to him.”

Woohyun merely folded his arms and looked away.

“Nice to meet you, Sunggyu hyung’s new friend.” The tall guy his hand towards Woohyun and had on a friendly smile. “I’m Lee Sungyeol.”

Woohyun blinked. “Who’s…Sunggyu?”

The three stared at him for a moment, then at Sunggyu, before bursting into laughter.

“You don’t even know his name!” Sungyeol chuckled.

“How antisocial are you hyung?” The canine toothed man smirked. “You don’t even talk to your own friends, enough to introduce yourself.”

“I already told you! He’s not my friend!” Sunggyu hissed.

But the three ignored Sunggyu and were smiling at Woohyun.

“This is Myungsoo.” Sungyeol gestured to the extremely handsome man beside him.

“It’s L.” Myungsoo corrected him.

Sungyeol rolled his eyes, grinning at Woohyun. “No it’s not. Just call him Myungsoo. And that guy…” He gestured to the other man. “He’s Howon, but you can just call him Hoya. That’s what everyone calls him.”

“How come you’re acknowledging Hoya’s nickname and not mine?” Myungsoo frowned, nudging Sungyeol.

“Because people actually call him that, and its not just one stupid letter like yours.” Sungyeol retorted dryly. “I mean what does the L actually stand for? Loser? Leprechaun? Leotard?”

“Nice to meet you all.” Woohyun smiled, already liking Sunggyu’s friends better than Sunggyu. “I’m Nam Woohyun.”

“Nam Woohyun…Namu!” Sungyeol decided. “That’s what we’ll call you!”

“What? Now he gets a nickname too?” Myungsoo griped.

“Fine you can be PoopSoo.” Sungyeol turned to Myungsoo.

“Well then you’re PissYeol.” Myungsoo retorted.

“Don’t mind them, they’re always like this.” Hoya shrugged, and Woohyun nodded, grinning. He noticed Sunggyu eyeing him, but when he met his gaze, Sunggyu instantly turned away.

::-::-::

Woohyun talked and laughed with Sungyeol, Myungsoo, and Hoya for the next half hour. He couldn’t believe such fun and nice people were friends with the negative, sullen Sunggyu.

But unfortunately Sunggyu’s friends had to leave after that, leaving Woohyun sitting quietly alone at the bar. He watched Sunggyu smile cordially at a customer, as the woman was going on about some stupid thing her boss did. It sounded like the most boring story ever to Woohyun, but Sunggyu was nodding and appeared to be listening intently.

It must be hard…” Woohyun thought, as he watched Sunggyu simultaneously serve a drink and crack a joke. “He’s really trying his best…”

His stomach grumbled, for the fifth time in the past hour. Woohyun was grateful no one could hear it with the music playing. He contemplated ordering something, but decided he didn’t want to give his money to a jerk like Sunggyu.

So instead he sat there, drifting in and out of consciousness. He was pushing thirty-six hours without sleep, and nothing but that cup ramen he had the night before to eat.

“I’ll just…” He murmured, resting his head down on the bar counter. “I’ll just close my eyes for a moment…”

::-::-::

Sunggyu looked up when he heard a loud crashing sound. He glanced to the spot Woohyun was at, only to see him not there anymore. People were crowding around the spot, staring at the ground. Sunggyu hurriedly rushed around the counter, to see Woohyun on the floor, wincing and slowly sitting up, rubbing his head.

“Yah, what’s wrong with…?” Sunggyu paused, when he noticed Woohyun pale-faced, shivering and panting and his eyes had dark bags under them. He immediately pulled him up and guided him to the back room. There was nothing but a small couch and a table in the cramped back room, since it was only used when the staff were having a late shift and didn’t want to go home in the unsafe night. “Are you ok?” Sunggyu helped him onto the couch. Woohyun nodded sleepily rubbing his head.

“Fine…” He mumbled, eyes barely open. “I’m fine…” Though he said that, he was leaning his head on Sunggyu’s shoulder, already drifting off again.

“What’s wrong with this kid?” Sunggyu sighed.

After laying Woohyun down on the bed, he draped a thin blanket over him, but still noticed the younger man shivering. Sunggyu felt his forehead to see if he had a fever. He didn’t seem any warmer than usual. Sunggyu sighed, and grabbed his jacket from his bag. He sat the sleepy Woohyun upright into a sitting position and attempted to put it on him.

Why am I even doing this?” Sunggyu thought to himself, as he maneuvered Woohyun’s arm into the jacket sleeve. After successfully getting him in the jacket, he was about to drape the blanket back over him, when Woohyun suddenly reached out, pulling lightly on Sunggyu’s shirt sleeve. He muttered something about cup ramen and eternal love, obviously sleep talking. Sunggyu couldn’t help but smile slightly. He thought that maybe Woohyun wasn’t as annoying when he was asleep. He sat there for a moment, gently the sleeping man’s cheek.

It was the first time he had really looked at Woohyun’s face. And it was the first time he noticed the bad shape the younger man was in. His skin was quite pale, and his lips were dry. Sunggyu absently ran his thumb across Woohyun’s bottom lip, before quickly retracting his hand.

“What am I doing?” He muttered, before returning to his position behind the bar. After he finished his shift, he stepped into the backroom to see Woohyun was still asleep. He knew he couldn’t just leave him there.

Really, what am I doing?” He asked himself once again, as he hoisted the unconscious Woohyun onto his back.

He managed a few steps, before needing a break. Woohyun was surprisingly not that heavy for a fully grown adult man, but Sunggyu was lacking in the strength and endurance departments.

::-::-::

It took Sunggyu almost an hour to get home. As soon as he dropped Woohyun on the couch in the living room, he himself collapsed onto the ground.

“Ah, you’re home hyung.” Sungjong appeared from the kitchen with a mug of cocoa and a cookie.

“Why…” Sunggyu looked up, attempting to catch his breath. “Why are you still…up? Shouldn’t….you be…sleeping?”

“I was just getting a midnight snack.” Sungjong replied and then turned his attention to the sleeping body on the couch. He shook his head and sighed. “Oh, so I’m not allowed to bring a stray puppy home, but you can bring a man?”

Sunggyu rolled his eyes. “No stupid. He collapsed in the bar…He’s the guy who came yesterday to confess to you…or well, you as a girl.”

“I don’t understand.” Sungjong blinked. “You brought my stalker inside and are letting him sleep on our couch? And why was he at the bar?”

“I don’t know…he followed me.” Sunggyu replied, moving to a sitting position. He paused, eying Woohyun for a moment.

“Maybe he’s your stalker?” Sungjong joked.

“Yah.” Sunggyu shot him a glare.

“I can’t believe you piggy backed him all the way home. You don’t even do that for your own dear brother.” Sungjong said in a dry tone.

“O-Of course I always used to give you piggy back rides!”

“Yeah, when I was five.” Sungjong retorted.

“I couldn’t just leave him there…” Sunggyu mumbled.

“Don’t tell me you’re already grown attached to him.” Sungjong sighed. “Next thing, you’ll be naming him and getting him toys and a bed and then we’ll have to keep him.”

“Well you’ve always wanted a pet.” Sunggyu joked.

“Hyung…seriously though.” Sungjong knelt down beside him, studying Woohyun’s face. “Do you like him?”

Sunggyu blinked. “What? He likes you, you know?”

Sungjong turned to his older brother. “That’s not what I asked.”

“I-I barely know him…” Sunggyu mumbled, hobbling to his feet.

“So?” Sungjong got up as well, following the elder into the kitchen. “Don’t you believe in love at first sight hyung?”

“No!” Sunggyu huffed. “W-Why does everyone keep asking me that?!” He exploded before storming off into his bedroom and slamming the door.

::-::-::

 

“He’s still sleeping…” Sungjong mumbled as he and Sunggyu stared at Woohyun’s sleeping face. It was already late in the afternoon the next day, and Woohyun still hadn’t woken up. “Do you think he’s ok?”

“How should I know?” Sunggyu pouted. “I’m not a doctor.”

“Maybe we should wake him?”

“W-Why?” Sunggyu stammered, suddenly getting nervous.

“He should eat something.” Sungjong replied, calmly. “Shouldn’t he?”

“Mm, I guess you’re right.” Sunggyu agreed. “Ok, go cook something for him, then come back and wake him.”

“What?” Sungjong frowned. “Why do I have to do everything?”

“Because, I said so.” Sunggyu grinned and stood up. Suddenly Woohyun sleepily mumbled something and reached out gripping onto Sunggyu’s wrist. The elder gasped, turning to Sungjong.

“I gotta go make the food.” Sungjong pretended not to see anything and casually strolled past Sunggyu to the kitchen.

“Y-Yah.” Sunggyu hissed, “Sungjong-ah, don’t you dare leave me here!”

But that’s exactly what Sungjong did.

Sunggyu sighed, muttering something about kids these days, before turning to Woohyun. He knelt down, staring at Woohyun’s face for a moment.

“Yah…” He said quietly. “Wake up…” Woohyun didn’t budge, and rubbed his face against Sunggyu’s hand. “Wake up….p-please?” Sunggyu mumbled, but to no avail.

“His name was Woohyun right?” Sunggyu thought. “Woohyun-sshi? Please wake up now.”

“Be quiet…” Woohyun mumbled, releasing Sunggyu’s hand and turning. “Go away…”

“Yah,” Sunggyu frowned, shaking the younger man’s shoulder slightly. “Wake up already!”

“No…” Came a defiant whine.

Sunggyu had enough and yanked the blanket off of Woohyun. “WAKE UP RIGHT NOW!”

Woohyun slowly sat up, pouting and rubbing his eyes. Sunggyu immediately felt bad for yelling, and bit his lip.

“Um…are you feeling ok?” He tried to get a good look at Woohyun’s face but the younger man kept his face down.

“Where…?” Woohyun finally looked up, and his eyes widened seeing Sunggyu staring back at him. “W-What happened?” He frantically looked around. “Where am I? How did—?”

“You fainted.” Sunggyu explained. “At the bar last night.”

“….Oh.” Woohyun looked down.

“Are you feeling ok?” Sunggyu pressed his hand to Woohyun’s forehead to check his temperature.

“I’m fine.” Woohyun averted his eyes.

“You sure?” Sunggyu was intently meeting his gaze, eyes full of concern. It kind of made Woohyun confused and nervous, so he merely nodded, looking down. Then Sunggyu smiled. It was very small, but it still made Woohyun’s heart skip a beat. He clutched his chest, wondering why he was feeling like how he felt meeting that pretty girl at the hotel.

“You had me worried there for a moment.” Sunggyu’s hand was on Woohyun’s head gently running a hand through his hair. Woohyun felt his cheeks heating up and could only nod again. “Why aren’t you saying anything?” Sunggyu asked, obliviously as he leaned closer. “Are you really ok?”

“I-I’m fine.” Woohyun backed away slightly, still avoiding looking at Sunggyu.

“Ok?” Sunggyu tilted his head. “Well, Sungjong’s making something for you to eat.”

“Who’s Sungjong?”

“Ah…” Sunggyu remembered that Woohyun still thought Sungjong was his dream girl. “Uh, well…”

“Hyung, should I make a stew or….” Sungjong peered out from the kitchen, and noticed Woohyun was up. “Ah, he’s awake.” He approached them, with a polite smile.

“Are you…Sungjong?” Woohyun blinked.

“Uh, yeah?” Sungjong and Sunggyu exchanged a nervous glance.

Woohyun gasped, as a thought came to him. “A-Are you her boyfriend?”

“…Huh?”

“The beautiful girl…are you dating her?”

Sungjong and Sunggyu both chuckled.

“No, we don’t have that kind of relationship at all.” Sungjong grinned, causing Woohyun to breathe a sigh of relief.

“So you’re also her brother?” Woohyun asked.

“Uh…sure.” Sungjong shrugged and made his way into the kitchen again.

::-::-::

“Um…” Woohyun nervously held a spoon full of stew near his mouth. “Could you guys not stare at me so much?”

After serving Woohyun a bowl of soup, Sungjong and Sunggyu sat across from him on the small square dining table, and just watched him.

“Is it good?” Sunggyu asked. “Is it too hot? Does it taste bad? I know Sungjong at cooking, so—.”

“Then why’d you force me to make something, if I ?” Sungjong frowned.

“I didn’t even try it yet.” Woohyun sighed.

“Are you still feeling weak?” Sunggyu continued with his interrogation. “Do you want me to feed you?”

“W-What?” Woohyun blinked.

“Don’t mind him.” Sungjong shrugged. “That’s just his motherly instincts kicking in.”

“Yah.” Sunggyu shoved his brother angrily, before turning to Woohyun, and softening his expression again. “Here, I’ll help you.” He offered as he moved to sit beside Woohyun.

“What? N-No, I’m fine—.” Woohyun tried to say, but Sunggyu already took the spoon from his hand.

“Say ahh.” Sunggyu held the spoon to Woohyun’s lips.

“R-Really, why are you doing this?” Woohyun mumbled, backing away. “I can do it myself.”

“Just shut up and open your mouth.” Sunggyu ordered.

Woohyun gave in easily, and let Sunggyu feed him.

Sungjong merely shook his head at the two, before glancing at his phone. Suddenly he stood up.

“Well, I gotta go.” He announced, garnering the other two men’s attention.

“Where are you going?” Sunggyu asked.

“I’m going to go hang out with Hwayoung.” Sungjong answered, before sending Woohyun a smile. “Feel better, ok?”

Woohyun blinked, seemingly mesmerized by Sungjong’s dazzling smile. Sunggyu noticed and frowned slightly. He didn’t really know why he was even getting bothered by it. Sungjong was so beautiful that men fell for him quite easily. Sunggyu was used to that, and it really didn’t bother him that much most of the time. But this time was different. He actually felt annoyed.

He impatiently shoved the spoon of hot soup into Woohyun’s slightly ajar mouth. Woohyun wasn’t expecting it however, and starting choking, and he almost burnt his tongue.

“W-What’re you doing?!” He turned to Sunggyu with a shocked look.

“Stop looking at him like that!” Sunggyu hissed. “He’s a guy, you know?”

Sungjong merely grinned before leaving the two to argue.

“L-Like what?” Woohyun stammered. “I-I wasn’t…he just really looks like your sister!”

“Well he’s not.” Sunggyu muttered, averting his eyes.

An awkward silence engulfed the room.

Woohyun kind of wished Sungjong would come back, because being alone with Sunggyu like this made him nervous for some reason.

Sunggyu held the spoon to Woohyun’s mouth again and the younger quietly swallowed.

“Um…thanks.”

Sunggyu put the spoon back in the bowl. “For what…?”

“Why…are you being so nice to me like this?” Woohyun asked, his eyes downcast, as he folded his hands in his lap. “When before…you seemed to really hate me?”

“Sorry I was so mean.” Sunggyu met his gaze awkwardly.

“It’s ok. I was being annoying.” Woohyun admitted, sheepishly. “And creepy. Following you around like that…”

“To be honest, I was still pissed about what happened at the wedding.”

“Wedding?” Woohyun blinked.

“Ah…I was the waiter at that wedding you were at the other day.” Sunggyu explained. “I was the waiter that called you an .”

Woohyun tilted his head. “Sorry, I really don’t remember.”

“I didn’t expect you to.” Sunggyu shrugged.

“Sorry, it’s not because of you…it’s because a lot of people call me an , so…” Woohyun rubbed the back of his neck, chuckling awkwardly. Sunggyu frowned. He didn’t think there was anything funny about being called an .

“Why?”

“Because I am one?” Woohyun was smiling, but his eyes seemed somewhat dismal. “What? You don’t believe me?” He laughed quietly, at Sunggyu’s frown. “You know at the wedding? It was my good friend’s…but I couldn’t even be happy for him. I was too busy being jealous, because I’m a selfish . I was only thinking about myself…why don’t I have someone? Why does no one want to marry me? Why am I still alone?” Woohyun smiled bitterly. “That’s…the kind of person I am.”

“What’s wrong with that?” Sunggyu piped up, causing Woohyun to look up. “Isn’t that normal at a wedding? Usually people end up thinking about those kinds of things. It doesn’t make you an or selfish to think about your own life.”

“Thanks.” Woohyun smiled.

“F-For what?” Sunggyu muttered, looking away.

“For letting me sleep on your couch and for the soup.”

Sunggyu pouted. “What about for helping you yesterday? I carried you all the way home, you know? It took me almost two hours!”

“You…” Woohyun blinked. “You carried me?”

“No, I used my magic flying carpet.” Sunggyu retorted.

Woohyun grinned. “You’re nicer than I thought…”

“Yeah well…” Sunggyu shrugged. “Not like I could have just left you there. That would make me the .”

“Would be cool if you did have a magic flying carpet though.” Woohyun joked. “A whole new world~” He sang.

Sunggyu smiled slightly. “Figures you would like things like that. Being a romanticist and all.”

“What’s wrong with that?” Woohyun pouted. “What’s wrong with believing in fate and love at first sight?”

“There’s nothing wrong with it, but you’re going to get hurt that way.” Sunggyu explained. “Because those things…they don’t exist.”

“I believe they do.” Woohyun gazed seriously into Sunggyu’s eyes. “…Don’t you believe us meeting is fate?”

Sunggyu blinked, blushing slightly. “W-What—?”

“Me and your sister meeting in that hotel? I believe it was meant to be!” Woohyun announced with a dreamy stare.

“Oh…” Sunggyu nodded, disappointedly. “What did I think he meant?” He shook his head. “I still don’t believe in those types of things…fate and destiny…it feels like it gives limitations. Like you have to resign to your fate, and aren’t really making your own choices. Like it’s not really up to you…your own life.”

“Hm…” Woohyun eyed him thoughtfully. He seemed to seriously be thinking about what Sunggyu had told him. “Ok, how about this…fate hands you an opportunity, but it’s up to you to decide what to do with it.”

“That….I actually think that sounds good.” Sunggyu smiled slightly. Woohyun felt his heart skip again. For some reason whenever Sunggyu smiled like that, it made Woohyun go all gooey inside, and he really couldn’t explain it.

“Ok, so we actually agree on something?” He grinned.

Sunggyu chuckled. “I guess there’s a first time for everything.”

Woohyun had this odd urge to reach out and hug Sunggyu at the moment. Which was totally weird for him. He wasn’t someone who randomly wanted to touch people. He wasn’t Dongwoo.

Speaking of Dongwoo, his phone started playing that familiar tune, Orange Caramel’s lipstick.

“Ah…” Sunggyu got up and headed to the coffee table in the living room, where Woohyun’s phone was sitting. He handed it to the younger man. “Here.”

“Thanks,” Woohyun nodded, before answering it.

“Woohyun where are you?!” Dongwoo blurted out. “Why didn’t you answer your phone? You could have texted! I was so worried! I thought you got kidnapped or something! It’s so freaky! I woke up in this strange hotel room and everything was dark—and oh wait, that’s just because I didn’t turn the light on. But still! Woohyun, I’m really thinking that this is a conspiracy—.”

Woohyun sighed, and went on to explain to Dongwoo everything that had happened.

“Aish, you…” Dongwoo chuckled. “You can’t just follow every pretty girl you see.”

“She could be the one, though.” Woohyun smiled. “No, I’m absolutely certain she is.”

Sunggyu frowned, as he listened in on Woohyun’s conversation from the kitchen.

“So should I come get you?” Dongwoo asked. “Where are you?”

“Yeah, I’m—.” Suddenly Sunggyu grabbed the phone from him.

“No need. I’ll bring him home when he’s fully recovered.” Sunggyu told Dongwoo, before hanging up. Woohyun stared at him, mouth agape, as Sunggyu handed him his phone back.

“What…you will?” He asked.

“You’re still weak. You need to rest.” Sunggyu ordered.

“Are you my doctor or something?” Woohyun raised an eyebrow.

“Yes, I’m Dr. Kim.” Sunggyu joked.

“I didn’t know doctors still made house calls.” Woohyun played along.

“Well technically you came to my house, so…”

“Ah, so this is your office, then.” Woohyun nodded. “Well in that case, you should give me a thorough examination.” Sunggyu merely blinked, and Woohyun realized the implications of his statement. He instantly averted his eyes and coughed lightly. “W-Why did I say that…?” He muttered, laughing awkwardly. He finally realized he was no longer wearing his tuxedo, and had on baggy gray sweat pants and a really loose white t-shirt that was a little too long for him. “Hm? These clothes…”

“Ah, I thought it’d be uncomfortable in that tuxedo, so…” Sunggyu pursed his lips. “I…”

“Oh.” Woohyun nodded, mentally slapping himself for feeling uneasy about the idea of Sunggyu changing him. What was the big deal? They were both guys. “Thanks…”

Sunggyu smiled. “Well you slept and you’ve been fed, so there’s only one thing left.”

“What’s that?”

“You need to clean up.” Sunggyu announced. “Seriously when did you last shower?”

Woohyun blushed. “T-That…” He hadn’t taken a bath since the day of In Guk and Eunji’s wedding. “I should really get home then—.”

“You can just take a bath here.” Sunggyu interrupted.

“What? But…” Woohyun rubbed the back of his neck. “Isn’t that kind of…weird? Taking a bath in someone else’s…”

“Yah, what if you go home and collapse in the shower from dehydration or something? At least here, I can come help you right away.” Sunggyu explained. He clearly wasn’t hearing anymore of Woohyun’s excuses and dragged him down the narrow hall. “Sorry, our bathroom’s kind of small though.”

He guided him into a cramped bathroom. There was a small sink right next to the toilet, and a shower stall across from it.

Sunggyu leaned over and toggled with the shower tap. “Just call if you need something.” He told Woohyun, before leaving him there.

Woohyun stood there for a moment, the only sound being the running water.

“Might as well…” He shrugged, and pulled off the baggy white t-shirt. He had stripped his clothes off, and was about to step in the shower, when the door opened. Woohyun gasped, grabbing the discarded sweat pants to cover his private parts.

“Here’s a towel and—.” Sunggyu paused, uncomfortably clearing his throat. “S-Sorry…I just—here’s a towel and some clothes.” He left the items on the sink counter, before making a hasty exit.

Woohyun heaved a sigh. Just when things couldn’t get anymore awkward…

He wondered just why things were like this. Why did he feel so nervous around another man? This kind of thing never really happened to him before. He was also curious as to where Sunggyu’s sister—his fated woman—was. He hadn’t seen her at all.

He shrugged off his thoughts and stepped in the shower. The water was nice and hot, but then suddenly turned an icy cold. He yelped rather loudly and rushed out of the stall.

“A-Are you ok?” He heard Sunggyu knocking at the door.

“Um…not really.” Woohyun wrapped a towel around his waist before opening the door.

“What happened?” Sunggyu hesitantly stepped in. He wasn’t sure of where to look, but he felt it would probably be strange if he looked at Woohyun’s chest for too long. So instead he focused his eyes on the shower stall.

“The water…” Woohyun pointed to the shower. “It suddenly got really cold.”

“Really?” Sunggyu ran a hand under the stream and frowned. “Mm, it seems warm to me.”

“What?” Woohyun went right up in front of him and bent over to check the water’s temperature. Sunggyu felt Woohyun’s bottom brush his thigh, and instantly backed away, getting a strange feeling in his stomach. “That’s weird.” Woohyun turned to him. “I swear it was ice cold a moment ago.”

“Sometimes it just gets like that.” Sunggyu shrugged.

“Ah, maybe it’s when I stand in the shower.” Woohyun decided, and then started getting into the stall again. “Just wait there. It’ll go cold again.”

“Um, I don’t—.”

“T-There! It got cold again!” Woohyun whimpered slightly, and stood opposite to the tap, attempting to not let the cold water touch his skin.

“Ok, just wait a second.” Sunggyu leaned in to the stall, reaching for the tap. Unfortunately it was extremely cramped, and he couldn’t help his elbow nudging Woohyun’s side. “Um sorry.” He murmured, as he jiggled with the faucet.

“I-Its ok.” Woohyun mumbled, his back pressed to the cold tile wall. He watched Sunggyu fumble about with the tap, and couldn’t help but notice how very pretty Sunggyu’s fingers were. What is it with this family and having gorgeous features? It was the genes, he figured.

Woohyun wished he could be like that. He didn’t think he was that ugly, but his attractive features weren’t natural. He had to work for them. Work out for his muscles. Eat healthy. Have a rigorous skin care routine. Without those things…he wasn’t much in the looks department.

But Sunggyu, Sungjong and their sister, their skin was milky and clear. And it was obvious Sunggyu and Sungjong weren’t wearing any make up. But they still managed to look like that. Woohyun felt jealous about that. He wished he had natural beauty. And more than that, he wished he had the courage to not care so much about what everyone thought. About what he, himself thought…

“There, now it should work.” Sunggyu snapped him out of his thoughts. “It’s warm now.” He turned to Woohyun, noticing his somber look. “What’s wrong?”

“Uh, its nothing.” Woohyun smiled bitterly. “Just thinking about how much of a loser I am…” He muttered the words under his breath. He didn’t intend for them to be heard, but Sunggyu did hear.

Sunggyu frowned. “You’re not a loser.”

“Yeah.” Woohyun nodded, halfheartedly.

“Yah…” Sunggyu unconsciously moved forward, stepping into the stall.

“W-What are you—?”

“If you call yourself a loser, then you really will become one.” Sunggyu stated, ignoring the fact that he was now being rained down on as well by the shower’s hot water stream.

Woohyun snorted. “Then I guess it’s too late for me.”

“You…” Sunggyu hesitantly reached out a hand to cup Woohyun’s cheek. “Other people in this world are going to try to make you feel bad…so you shouldn’t do it to yourself.”

Woohyun just stared up at Sunggyu, lips parted slightly. The sound of water hitting the tiled ground filled the silence.

There was only one thing Woohyun could think at that moment.

Sunggyu was really beautiful.

With his casual clothes drenched, and drooping, and his wet bangs stringy on his forehead. And his eyes…they were small, but seemed to hold the warmth of the world in them.

Forget his heart skipping a beat. Now it was racing at unnecessarily fast speeds, as if it were running for its life.

He opened his mouth to say something, but nothing would come out.

“A-Are you ok?” Sunggyu was staring at him with a look of concern, and leaned closer. They locked gazes for a moment, and Sunggyu suddenly stopped talking. “Uh…”

Woohyun suddenly reached out to hold Sunggyu’s waist, and pull him closer.

“I…” He stared into Sunggyu’s eyes intently, their noses almost touching.

Sunggyu had a hand on either of Woohyun’s cheeks. “Y-You…”

“Yeah?”

“The towel.”

“Huh?” Woohyun breathed. “Towel…?” Then he finally realized what Sunggyu meant and looked down to see the towel around his waist had slipped off. His face instantly grew hotter, as he hastily grabbed it, and struggled to wrap it around himself again.

Suddenly Sunggyu’s palms were on his cheeks again, and he was leaning closer. Woohyun kind of forgot about his towel again, and closed the gap between them, letting their lips come together. Sunggyu parted his lips, tasting Woohyun’s tongue in his mouth. He reached for Woohyun’s hand, intertwining their fingers as his other hand held Woohyun’s face in place. They finally separated for air, and Woohyun’s eyes were wide, while Sunggyu let his fingers trace Woohyun’s jaw line.

“T-That was—.”

“Y-Your sister!” Woohyun blurted out.

“Huh?” Sunggyu felt his heart sink.

“I…c-can I finish my shower now?” Woohyun let go of Sunggyu’s hand, and averted his gaze.

::-::-::

Sunggyu waited in the living room, sitting on the sofa. His clothes were still slightly damp.

He absently traced his lips again. He felt an uncertain queasiness in his stomach. He didn’t know why he even did that. He wasn’t the type who would just randomly kiss someone like that and in a shower no less. Especially a man. And one that he barely knew.

But…to him, Woohyun didn’t just feel like some random guy. Even though, they had just met, there was something about him…Is this what they meant by love at first sight, he wondered, but then shook his head.

What am I thinking? He only likes Sungjong in drag…” He sighed, reaching for the remote, when Woohyun walked in.

“Uh…” Woohyun kept his focus on everything else but Sunggyu. “I…I’m going to go home now. Thanks for helping me out.”

“Oh…” Sunggyu felt his heart sink once again. Woohyun’s behavior pretty much cemented the fact that what happened before was wrong. “I’ll drive you.” He got up and grabbed his car keys.

::-::-::

The car ride was silent as expected, except for Woohyun occasionally giving Sunggyu directions to his house.

“This is it.” Woohyun mumbled as they pulled up to the driveway. “Uh...thanks for everything.”

“Um,” Sunggyu turned off the car, facing Woohyun. “L-Listen, about before—.”

“This probably means I’ll never get to go out with your sister.” Woohyun attempted a joke, though it was still awkward. He turned to Sunggyu, who was biting his lip nervously.

“I have to do something…” Sunggyu thought, as he matched Woohyun’s gaze. “If things end like this…I can’t let them end without even trying.”

“But…” Woohyun was still talking. “If there’s a chance—.”

Suddenly Sunggyu grabbed the collar of his shirt and kissed him again. Woohyun instantly closed his eyes, melting into the warmth of Sunggyu’s mouth on his. But then Sunggyu pulled away.

“No.” He breathed, his thumb brushing Woohyun’s bottom lip.

“…W-What?” Woohyun stammered, hazily.

“Y-You’re never going out with my sister.” Sunggyu stated, his cheeks were flushed, but his gaze was definite. “B-Because I won’t let her have you.”

Woohyun merely stared, his chest felt hot, and his stomach was doing flips.

“I...I have to go!” He blurted out and hastily escaped the car.

He almost stumbled as he made his way to the front door, so distracted, that he didn’t even see Dongwoo standing on the lawn watering the plants.

“Woohyun!” He waved cheerfully and skipped up to him. “You’re home!”

“O-Oh hey.” Woohyun muttered as he rushed inside, Dongwoo obliviously following him into the living room.

“Who was that guy?” Dongwoo asked. “Why were you kissing him?”

Woohyun froze, turning to face his friend. “Y-You saw that?”

“Ah, that’s why you could never get a girlfriend!” Dongwoo gasped, as if he just had a huge revelation. “Because you like guys!”

“N-No I don’t!” Woohyun blushed. “That was just—!”

“He’s the one who was on the phone before right? And you stayed over at his place last night?” Dongwoo giggled amusingly, poking Woohyun’s arm playfully. “Ohoho, moving quite fast aren’t you~?” He hummed teasingly.

“No, i-it’s not like that!” Woohyun claimed. “I…” He put a finger to his lip, and whined in frustration. “I…his sister. I-I like his sister!”

“That’s not what it looked like when you were face with him a few minutes ago—.”

“That wasn’t me! He just suddenly…” Woohyun groaned. “Aish, forget it. I don’t need to explain this to you.” He ignored the dancing dino, and slumped down on the couch.

::-::-::

That night Woohyun tossed and turned in bed. He couldn’t get Sunggyu’s face out of his mind, Sunggyu’s taste from his mouth, and Sunggyu’s scent from his nose. The last one was probably because he was still wearing the clothes Sunggyu had let him borrow.

::-::-::

A couple of days later, it was a lunch break and everyone at the office Woohyun worked at, went out since it was one of the employee’s birthdays. They went to some barbecue place.

Woohyun watched Dongwoo and the rest joking and laughing. He noticed a fellow coworker drinking a beer. It reminded Woohyun of the bar Sunggyu worked at. It reminded him of Sunggyu.

“What’s wrong Woohyun-sshi?” A female coworker who was sitting across from him asked.

“Yeah, you’ve been awfully quiet.” The man beside her remarked.

“It’s nothing—.”

“He’s lovesick!” Dongwoo exclaimed.

“No I’m not.” Woohyun laughed nervously, nudging the shorter man. “He doesn’t know what he’s talking about.”

“Who’s the lucky lady?” The man smirked.

“It didn’t work out.” Woohyun simply said.

“Aw, that’s too bad.” They both frowned, while Dongwoo sent him a disappointed look.

The rest of the lunch went by, with Woohyun not saying much. He was too distracted. Everything seemed to remind him of Sunggyu.

When someone walked by in baggy clothes, he thought of Sunggyu’s sweat pants and loose t-shirts.

When he saw someone with dyed hair, he thought of Sunggyu’s light brown bangs.

When someone smiled or laughed, he thought of Sunggyu’s smile, which could easily light up a room, as well as his heart.

And when he attempted to adjust his hair, or felt like his outfit didn’t look right, he thought of Sunggyu’s comforting words. Telling him to be nicer to himself. Telling him he wasn’t a loser. As if Sunggyu could tell that in the short time they spent together.

“He really doesn’t know me at all…” Woohyun thought. But at the same time…a part of him felt that Sunggyu knew him better than anyone else.

No, not things like his favorite color, or his favorite food, or that he likes to play video games. Or his favorite TV show, or that he sometimes keeps a bag of chips near his bed to snack on in the night when he gets hungry. Or that he has a watermelon named Stella that he sometimes talks to when he’s lonely and doesn’t want to talk to a person.

Sunggyu didn’t know any of those things.

But really, Woohyun felt like it didn’t matter anymore. But it was too late now. How was he going to see Sunggyu again? He didn’t have his number, or any ways to contact him.

But then he remembered he still knew where Sunggyu lived.

“Excuse me.” He suddenly got up, garnering everyone’s attention. “I’m taking the rest of the day off!” He announced before rushing out of the restaurant.

“Good for you, Woohyun.” Dongwoo grinned, before turning to the others.

“Now, let’s eat that birthday cake already!”

::-::-::

Woohyun ran down the street, loosening his tie around his neck, his blazer flapping in the wind. He stopped by the flower shop and bought a bouquet of red roses. He had the hugest smile on his face. He was going to do this. Finally things were clear.

Sunggyu was the one. The one he had been waiting for. His fated person.

He stopped at Sunggyu’s front door, suddenly feeling extremely nervous.

What if Sunggyu didn’t want him anymore? What if he had already moved on? What if he was too late?

He bit his lip and knocked at the door. He had nothing to lose. Except everything.

But this time, he was sure.

This wasn’t love at first sight. But it was definitely destiny.

The moment the door opened, Woohyun had his head down, ing the flowers forward.

“I-I’m sorry I was such an idiot before! I was just confused! But now I’m not!” He continued as he raised his head. “I love—!” He froze, when he realized it wasn’t Sunggyu standing there. But a girl…the girl.

“Oh, Woohyun-sshi, what’re you doing here?”

Woohyun’s jaw dropped as well as the bouquet in his hands. The voice coming out of the girl sounded rather familiar.

“You…how do you know me?” Woohyun stared, mouth agape.

“It’s me.” Sungjong casually pulled off the wig. “I was just trying out a new wig.”

“W-What…?” Woohyun blinked. “You…you were the girl?!”

“Oh yeah….you still didn’t know about that?” Sungjong shrugged. “I figured Sunggyu hyung would tell you—.”

“That…w-what?” Woohyun was all kinds of speechless.

“You were saying something?” Sungjong asked, totally ignoring the older man’s shock.

Woohyun opened his mouth to speak, when he heard a familiar voice behind him.

“Woohyun…?”

He turned to see Sunggyu, walking up behind him, holding a bag of groceries.

“Sungjong was the girl?!” Woohyun blurted out.

Sunggyu blinked. “Uh…yes?”

“So you don’t have a sister?!”    

“Uh…no?”

“I’m so confused!” Woohyun yelled before grabbing onto Sunggyu and kissing him. Sunggyu instantly dropped the plastic bags in his hands, to return the kiss, his hands finding Woohyun’s face.

“Well that escalated quickly.” Sungjong sighed, before returning inside and shutting the door behind him.

“What took you so long stupid?” Sunggyu breathed.

“I’m sorry.” Woohyun smiled. “You waited for me?”

“I was tempted to jump on my magic flying carpet to search for you.” Sunggyu joked.

Woohyun chuckled lightly, clutching onto the folds of Sunggyu’s t-shirt and burying his nose into the older man’s shoulder shamelessly inhaling his scent.

“Thank you…” Woohyun pulled away to meet Sunggyu’s gaze.

“For what?” Sunggyu blinked.

“For saving me from being alone…for being my destiny.”

“Tch,” Sunggyu rolled his eyes. “You stupid greasy romanticist.”

“What’s wrong with that?” Woohyun pouted. “Isn’t that what happened here? Didn’t you fall for me at first sight?”

“Yeah right.” Sunggyu snorted.

“Ok, maybe at second sight?” Woohyun guessed, pursing his lips. “Third? Fourth…?”

Sunggyu smiled, his thumb tenderly Woohyun’s cheek bone.

“…Fifth?” Woohyun had a mischievous glint in his eyes, as he tightened his grip on the folds of Sunggyu’s t-shirt, eagerly pulling him closer. Sunggyu ignored him and kissed him again instead.

“Sixth?” Woohyun broke away to ask.

Sunggyu sighed at the interruption. But then he saw the way Woohyun was happily looking up at him, and it kind of melted his heart.

“Ok, fine how about we say it was lucky number seven?”

“Wait, but I thought you didn’t believe in those kinds of things?” Woohyun questioned, with a smirk, because he knew he was pissing Sunggyu off.

“No, I just don’t believe in magic flying carpets and aish who cares about this right now!” Sunggyu groaned. “Can’t we just kiss?”

Woohyun chuckled. “Ok.”