Chapter 1 | Junhui and I

First Love Never Dies

 

[Flashbacks]

Age of 4:

Yeonhee was running around the playground, playing with the ball her parents gave her as a birthday present.

She was indeed having fun as she kicked the ball to other directions. The ball rolled and stopped in front of a boy.

The boy picked up the ball, examining it and looked around. Little Yeonhee ran to the boy, snatching it away from his arms, “This is my ball!” She shouted.

The little boy was startled yet puzzled at the same time.

“This is my ball!” Yeonhee shouted again. He put his hands in front of him, giving her a sign that he is innocent.

She ran to her parents, tugging on her mom and dad’s shirt. He then ran to his parents and pulled them to his direction.

Both of their parents meet and they hugged, giving each other a kiss on the cheek. “Oh, Mr. Wen, it’s so nice to see you again,” Yeonhee’s dad said to the man, who is supposedly Mr. Wen. “I’m glad I saw you again, Mr. Kim. This is my son, Junhui,” Mr. Wen gently pulled his son in front of him.

Yeonhee hid behind her mom as she peeked, taking a look at the boy named Junhui.

Her mom chuckled and spoke, “Don’t be shy, Yeonhee,” Her mom then pulled her to the side.

Yeonhee waved at him, shyly while Junhui smiled and waved back. “And this is my daughter, Yeonhee,” Mr. Kim patted Yeonhee’s head, smiling.

“Come on. Introduce yourself,” Her father gently pushed her to face Junhui. “Hello. I am Kim Yeonhee,” She said in a sing-song tone. Junhui tilted his head to the side, confused of what she said.

His father whispered something to him and he quickly smiled at her, “Hi! I’m Wen Junhui!” He introduced himself in Mandarin. “Junhui is still learning Korean,” Mr. Wen told Yeonhee’s parents.

Yeonhee nodded, understanding a bit of Mr. Wen’s words.

She grabbed her ball and ran to Junhui. She extended her arms towards him as she smiled. He blinked for a few times, still processing Yeonhee’s actions.

She extended her arms until the ball was touching his chest. Junhui took a hold on the ball as Yeonhee tugged him along.

He smiled at the thought and gently threw the ball to Yena. Both of their parents smiled, watching the two toddlers.

“They look so cute together,” Mrs. Kim said to Mrs. Wen. Yeonhee and Junhui played all-day long as their parents watch the evening sky, thinking the future ahead of the two kids.

 

Age of 7:

“Yah!” Yeonhee yelled as she pushed the bully named Minsoo.

She’s been bullied ever since she entered the 2nd grade.

Minsoo gripped on her wrist tightly and spoke, “Stop whining you baby! Give me your lunch!”

She tried pulling away but it was no use.

“Hey!” A voice from behind shouted.

Minsoo lets go of her wrist and turned towards the sound.

Yeonhee looked at the boy and it was Junhui. Minsoo walked towards Junhui as he cracked his knuckles, wanting to punch him on the face.

“Stay away from Yeonhee!” He shouted in Mandarin.

“Aww! Will you look at that, the little Chinese boy to the rescue,” Minsoo teased, surrounding him like he’s a prey.

Junhui glared at Minsoo. “Huh, what are you gonna do about it, shortie?” Minsoo taunted.

“Come on, punch me,” He added and went closer to his face. Junhui was fuming with anger.

He curled his fist into a ball and looked at Minsoo. “What?! You scared?!” Minsoo shouted, “Come on! Pu—“ Minsoo’s words were cut-off when Junhui landed the punch on his face.

Yeonhee stood there, shock. Minsoo was unconscious.

“Wen Junhui!” The teacher shouted and walked up to him, “You are coming with me,” She said, tugging him along harshly.

“Go write that on the board!” She shouted, giving Junhui a piece of chalk.

Slowly, he made his way towards the blackboard. Yeonhee watched Junhui as he was having a hard time writing the Hangul syllables.

“You must be finished with that before I come back,” The teacher reminded and exited the room.

Yeonhee hid behind the pillar as she watched the teacher walk away. After seeing that the coast was clear, she quickly made her to the classroom where Junhui is.

“I’m sorry,” She said to him in Mandarin. Junhui looked at Yena in surprise as he mouthed the words ‘It’s okay.’

Yeonhee got a piece of chalk and started writing the Hangul syllables perfectly.

Junhui stared at her in amazement, leaving his mouth gaped.

The both of them was so focused on the board that they didn’t even noticed the teacher came in.

“Kim Yeonhee!” he teacher yelled.

She stopped writing and turned her attention towards the door.

Smiling awkwardly, she slowly put the piece of chalk on the podium and walked towards the teacher.

She looked down, not even wanting to meet the teacher’s gaze.

“As for you little Yeonhee,” The teacher cooed.

“You’ll be writing the Chinese syllables,” She added, making Yeonhee surprise.

“Okay, by the time I get here, you two should be finished!” The teacher snapped as she walked out. Yeonhee was puzzled.

She didn’t even know where to start. Junhui looked at her, smiling.

She then looked towards him and smiled. “Fighting!” He mumbled and did a fist pump. She nodded and did the same thing.

The two of them wrote the syllables diligently as they waited the time to pass by.

 

Age of 10:

“Saengil Chukkhamnida! Saengil Chukkhamnida! Saranghaneun woori Junhui! Saengil Chukkhamnida!” Junhui’s friends sang the birthday song as Junhui stared at the candle, making a wish.

He then blew the candle and everyone cheered.

He felt really happy since he turned 10 already.

“Happy Birthday, Junhui, my dear,” His mom greeted him as she handed him a small box, wrapped with a red bow.

Junhui hugged his mom and kissed her cheek, thanking her for the gift.

He looked around the crowded venue, trying to find Yeonhee.

*Where’s Yeonhee?* He thought and shook his hands nervously.

Once Junhui spotted Yeonhee’s mom, he knew that Yeonhee was already here.

He squeezed himself through the crowd and finally came to a halt when he saw her.

“We’re sorry, we’re late. Yeonhee had her first recital in piano,” Mrs. Kim said to Mrs. Wen.

“It’s okay. As long as all of you we’re able to get here. It’s enough,” Mr. Wen assured Yeonhee’s parents.

Yeonhee looked around, seeing a lot of kids. She somehow felt uneasy because she didn’t know anyone here except for Junhui.

Her eyes landed on a boy, who seemed to be staring at her.

Yeonhee’s eyes sparkled when she realized it was Junhui.

He walked towards Yeonhee, smiling in delight.

“You’re here,” He said to her, “I’m sorry if I’m late,” She said and sheepishly rubbed the back of her neck.

“It’s okay, as long as you’re here, it’s enough,” He assured her.

Yeonhee nodded and smiled in response.

Junhui looked around, taking her hand into his, “Yeonhee -ah! Let’s go somewhere!” He told her,

“To where?” she asked. Junhui just shook his head as they fled from the crowded venue.

He took her to the balcony, where the sun perfectly shone, ready to set.

He took out a box which its gleaming wrapper shone.

Yeonhee looked at the box carefully as Junhui unwraps it. He opened it, taking out a silver bracelet with his name engraved on it.

He took her arm, quickly sliding and locking it into place.

She looked at the bracelet then towards him. “Why did you give it to me?” She asked him.

“Isn’t this yours?” She added and examined the bracelet.

“I decided I should give it to you,” He simply replied.

“But, why?” She asked again, looking into his eyes.

Yeonhee …” Junhui softly mumbled.

She hummed, looking at his face, “Promise me that we’ll be together forever. That we’ll never leave each other’s side,” He said to her, intertwining his fingers with hers.

Yeonhee smiled and tightened her grip on his hand, “I promise, Junhui-ah,” She nodded.

He smiled at her response as he kissed her cheek.

She froze and stiffly turned to him.

She touched her cheek, blushing at his action.

She then kissed his cheek back, leaning on his shoulder.

“Sa… rang… hae,” He whispered into her ear.

She snuggled closer to him and replied, “Nado… saranghae,” The both of them watched the beautiful sun set in the horizon.