Part Five: Baekhyun's Family Secret

The Events of Room 218 (EXO School AU)

            The next two weeks leading up to their four-day break pass quickly. Nothing much changes in their routine. Baekhyun still struggles with rolling out of bed on time in the morning. It’s even tougher trying wake Zitao up, but he somehow manages by being a little more forceful each time, first shaking, then hitting, kicking, and even stealing his pillow and covers.

            On one particular occasion though, Baekhyun was the one being woken up long before his alarm was set to go off. He felt overwhelmingly hot and in his half asleep state he attempted to kick off his covers to find some sort of relief, but that proved to be a difficult task to complete because there was a weight keeping it tucked into place at his side. Blinking sleep out of his eyes, Baekhyun peers into the darkness of his room locating the source of his discomfort. A person is lying on top of the covers beside him, his form outlined by the glow of the moon peeking through the window. With a bit of effort, Baekhyun tugs one of his arms out from his blanket cocoon and reaches up to touch the person beside him.

            “Zitao?” he whispers, shaking the sleeping form. “What are you doing in my bed?”

            “Couldn’t sleep,” Zitao groans and Baekhyun can tell he’s still asleep and is probably answering on reflex like he does occasionally when Baekhyun tries to wake him up in the morning. “So tired,” he whines pressing closer into Baekhyun.

            “It’s too hot,” Baekhyun complains, trying to tug and kick at the blankets as he shakes his roommate in an attempt to get him to move. Eventually Baekhyun stops, practically perspiring after so much exertion, and resigns to the fact that he’ll just have to deal with the heat if he wants to get any sleep for the rest of the night.

            When his alarm finally does go off, Baekhyun wakes up annoyed after being inconvenienced with hot flashes throughout most of the night. He’s nowhere near a middle-aged woman, but he’s sure that what he’s dealt with probably feels akin to hot flashes during menopause. To add to that annoyance, he’s forced to listen to his alarm ring for longer than usual because he can’t reach it to shut it off because Zitao’s in his way. In his half-asleep state, Baekhyun summons up as much strength as he can muster and pushes Zitao off the side of his bed. Once he slams his hand down on the alarm, he feels somewhat better after having gotten a bit of revenge. To his surprise however, Zitao is still sleeping soundly on the floor beside Baekhyun’s bed.

            Baekhyun decides to step on Zitao when he gets out of bed and takes pleasure in the yelp he gains by doing so. “That’s what you get for making me suffer.”

            Zitao kicks his legs out in retaliation but Baekhyun’s already to far out of range for his attacks to be successful.

 

 

 

            The day after this incident, which also happens to be the morning that begins their break, Baekhyun wakes up again to find Zitao snuggled up next to him only this time his roommate has wedged his way between Baekhyun and the wall beside Baekhyun’s bed. Apparently he learned his lesson the first time and didn’t want a repeat of the previous morning. Luckily this time Baekhyun has more access to his blankets and can easily pull them away when he begins to feel stifled, so he’s not as frustrated about the fact that Zitao’s in his bed.  

            “Zitao, are you going to make this a habit?” Baekhyun gripes, fighting for a bit more room on his pillow.

            Zitao hums, lifting his head a bit so Baekhyun can shift the pillow more his way. He settles in again, draping an arm over Baekhyun’s waist mumbling, “Don’t fall off the bed.” Baekhyun can’t help grinning even if he is annoyed at the fact that his roommate takes up most of his tiny bed.

            “Try not to hog the bed then,” Baekhyun warns because honestly it’s nowhere near big enough for the both of them and he doesn’t really understand how they’ve managed to sleep on it together thus far.

            They wake up again around nine, having slept in a bit since it’s the first day of their break and Baekhyun’s driver Mr. Jung isn’t coming to pick them up until ten which means they still have time to finish packing and grab a late breakfast in the cafeteria. They’re easily ready by the time their ride arrives, backpacks strapped on as they wait at the front entrance of the school.

            “Is that a Hyundai Equus?” Zitao blurts, when a very shiny, silver luxury car stops just outside the school gates. A driver gets out to open the trunk and receive their bags before beckoning them into the car.

            Baekhyun shrugs. “If you say so.”

            “Aren’t these things meant for like government officials and other important people? They’re supposed to be like bulletproof or something?” Zitao’s inner car junkie is going haywire and Baekhyun thinks he should have known there had to be at least one thing that got his roommate hyped up.

            “You should see the rest of their collection?” Baekhyun says, even though he’s never really been interested in it himself. He never really cared much about cars. He might have even been a little bit jealous of them when he was growing up because his parents seemed to spend more time in their garage than their house.

            They’re finally on their way, seated comfortably in the backseat of the rather luxurious car when Zitao asks, “Why didn’t we just take the train?”

            “I told you. I live in the middle of nowhere. It’s easier to travel by car.” Baekhyun slides down into his seat, resting his head against the back of it. He doesn’t mention the fact that his parents would rather have their driver pick him up than allow him to use public transportation. They’re weirdly overprotective that way. “Get comfortable. It’s a three hour drive.”

            They talk a bit in the beginning. Baekhyun mentioning things they can do and food they can eat. Zitao says enough to keep the conversation going but after a while, Baekhyun quiets and Zitao looks over to find him dozing off. For a while, Baekhyun’s head nods precariously from side to side before Zitao scoots closer, pulling the sleepy male his way so that he can rest his head comfortable against Zitao’s shoulder.

            Zitao stays awake though, keeping an eye on their surroundings, mapping out the route in his mind for whatever reason. He’s taking precautions, memorizing possible paths and escape routes in case anything happens because he has this nagging feeling in his stomach that something is definitely going to happen. Some may think he’s being overly cautious, but Zitao would rather be safe than sorry as the saying goes.

            At some point they turned off onto a side dirt road that winds, dips, and curves through a forest that seems to last forever. Zitao’s sure they’ve been on this side road for at least fifteen minutes and the scenery never changes. It’s just trees, trees, and more trees. The car swerves a bit as the driver attempts to dodge a large pothole, giving his apologies to the two in the back. Baekhyun’s startled enough to wake up, glancing around and rubbing his eyes as he comes to. He seems to recognize where they’re located and says, “Not long now.”

            He stretches, finally realizing how close he is to his roommate and apologizes. “I didn’t mean to fall asleep on you. It’s just that long car trips make me sleepy.”

            “I don’t mind.” Zitao smiles and Baekhyun’s knows he means it.

            Baekhyun looks back out the window, stretching for a second time. “Good thing we’re almost there. I’m starting to feel hungry.”

            “When are you not hungry? You’re always thinking about food,” Zitao teases.

            “I’m a growing boy,” Baekhyun argues. “It’s my right to be hungry all the time.”

            “News flash Baekhyun, I don’t think you’re going to get any taller, but maybe a little wider if you keep eating like you do,” Zitao jokes, poking him in the side.  

            “Shut up!” Baekhyun smacks Zitao’s thigh without much force. “I’ll have you know I grew three centimeters this past summer and didn’t put on any weight.”

            “Oh, congratulations then.” Zitao claps mockingly and Baekhyun’s ready to really hit him this time, but the car has stopped and the driver’s announcing their arrival.

            Zitao stares out the window, taking in the sight of Baekhyun’s extravagant home. It’s huge to say the least and set in the traditional style. The central part of the house stands the tallest with a wrap around wooden porch. The tiled roof is a rich, green that blends in with the surrounding forest during it’s spring and summer months. When looking up, one can see the intricately decorated tiles beneath the roofs overhanging canopy. The corners of the roof itself flare up while the middle of each side slopes inward and it kind of reminds Zitao of the buildings at their school only this is much more elegant.

           The main house is broad and its outer walls are beautifully decorated with hand painted tiles and accompanying hand carved shutters on each widow with a front sliding door to match. The carvings depict various types of flora in an abstract manner which makes them look elegant as opposed to gaudy. 

            Around the main house are much smaller buildings that probably once served as servant quarters, guest rooms, or maybe even extended family homes. Their décor resembles that of the main house only in a more subdued manner as to not subtract from the grandeur of the centerpiece. All together, the place looks like a small village, a place much too large for one small family.

            “How many people actually live here?” Zitao asks while grabbing his bag out of the trunk so the driver can park the car in the garage.

            “Including my parents,” Baekhyun says sliding his bag onto his shoulder as they make their way up to the main entrance. “There are seven of us. Mr. and Mrs. Jung are married. Mr. Jung is our driver and gardener. Mrs. Jung cooks and cleans. We have two maids that assist Mrs. Jung.” He gestures to the smaller building. “They all stay in the outer residences. My parents are hardly ever home so it’s usually just five of us here.”

            “What’s the point of having such a big house for such a small family? Especially one in the middle of nowhere.” It seems like such a waste in Zitao’s mind. His family is rather large and their home is nowhere near this huge. He grew up sharing a room with his cousins because the pack liked to stick together, what with strong familial bonds and strength in numbers and whatnot. One thing that both their homes do have in common is the fact that they’re both secluded. Zitao understands his family’s reason for wanting the seclusion, but he wonders what Baekhyun’s family’s reasons are.

            Baekhyun’s already on the porch, sliding the door open and removing his shoes, while Zitao is still trying to gain his bearings after being presented with such a magnificent house. His long legs allow him to catch up quickly as Baekhyun’s crosses the threshold and it isn’t until Zitao’s fully inside the house that he’s starts to have that same uneasy feeling he had before in the car. This time it’s much stronger. Something seems especially wrong about this place. There’s a familiar scent engrained in the woodworks that scratches at his senses but he can’t place his finger on why he knows this smell. In any case, there’s a small red flag furiously waving in the back of his mind telling him to be cautious, that now’s not the time for him to let his guard down.

           Baekhyun doesn’t seem to notice Zitao’s apprehension as he attempts to give an answer to his roommate’s earlier inquiries. “The house has been in our family for ages. Apparently, the family was really huge at one point and multiple generations lived here, but not so much anymore. I guess my parents keep the house for the sake of passing the legacy on to me, not that I really want it.”

           “Welcome home, Young Master,” a petite middle-aged woman says with a bow drawing their attention. She’s wearing a very simple, traditional Korean hanbok and Zitao should’ve known something like this might be the case considering the style of the house but it still surprises him.

           “Mrs. Jung,” Baekhyun practically whines. “I told you not to call me that. I don’t like it.”

           Zitao’s drawn out of his cautious thoughts enough to snicker at Baekhyun. “Young Master? That title doesn’t fit you at all.”

            Since Baekhyun’s hands are full with his bag and coat, he kicks out a foot barely clipping Zitao’s calf in his attempt at getting even.

           Zitao quirks a brow as he steps away. “I don’t know. Maybe it does suit you. After all, you’re extremely bossy and spoiled and sometimes you can be overly whiny when you don’t get your way.”

           “Oh, shut it.” Baekhyun’s annoyed and this amuses Zitao.

           “See, there you go bossing me around.”

           “Mrs. Jung, don’t give this idiot any food. We should just let him starve for being rude to me.”

            “Look, more orders from the Young Master. He’s even threatening me now.” Zitao’s mouth gapes, as he feigns shock. 

           “I swear Huang Zitao, I will make you sleep outside.” It’s a half-hearted threat, but Zitao wouldn’t put it past Baekhyun to try it.

           “Lunch will be ready in a few minutes, sirs. Please wash up while I prepare the table.” Mrs. Jung bows and takes her leave, a small smile resting on her lips. She’s happy to see her Young Master so lively; after all, this is the first time he’s ever brought a friend home before.

           “Follow me,” Baekhyun commands, then quickly adds, “So I can show you the room you may no longer be sleeping in.” He knows Zitao’s holding back another quip about him giving orders again, so he gives him a threatening glare, silently conveying that he shouldn’t try his patience.

           To get to Baekhyun’s room they enter into the central part of the house, which opens into a courtyard. In the center of the courtyard, there is a grand marble fountain decorated with cherubs pouring water out of jugs, surrounded by a large patch of bushes. There are remnants of roses and other such flora that are no longer in bloom. There are even more gardening pots in the surrounding area that hold what looks like herbs and spices. In one corner there are a number of dark red ceramic pickling jars and for a moment, Zitao wonders what delicious homemade goods they might contain.

           They follow the inner porch around the courtyard until they get to the room at the furthest corner on the left side of the house. It’s one of the largest rooms according to Baekhyun and has an accompanying bath. When Baekhyun slides his bedroom door open, he finds that nothing’s changed since he left, not that he expected anything would.

            Even with the traditional style of the rest of the house, Baekhyun’s room looks much more up to date. He has a large four-poster bed, accompanied by a canopy and long darkening drapes. There’s also a flat screen television on one wall with accompanying electronics. Further down that same wall, there is a large set of bookcases filled with various forms of entertainment such as books, movies, and games. There is a desk on one corner and even a small table and chairs in another. Zitao wonders if Baekhyun’s eats alone in his room sometimes.

           There are a few posters decorating the walls and Zitao thinks everything looks ridiculously out of place but he can understand why Baekhyun would want to decorate it in such a way. Everything together makes the room feel comfortable, lived in, and homey while the rest of the house feels foreign. This is actually the only room in the house that Zitao doesn’t catch a whiff of that off-putting scent. Unlike the rest of the house, this room smells distinctly like Baekhyun and Zitao finds it a rather comforting oasis from the rest of the place.

           “So this is my room,” Baekhyun says it like an invitation because Zitao’s still standing outside the door taking it all in. “You can put your stuff wherever. The bathroom’s through there.” He points to a door in the corner of the room that Zitao hadn’t really noticed because it blended in so well with the rest of the wall, almost like it was cut out as an afterthought to connect it the bathroom on the other side. “I figured we could just share my room instead of having one of the maids prepare a separate one. I don’t think you’ll mind considering you’ve been sneaking into my bed recently.”

           Zitao grins sheepishly as he tosses his backpack on the floor at the end of Baekhyun’s bed. “Just curious,” he says. “Are the drapes necessary?”

“Look,” Baekhyun clutches one of the bedposts at the end of the bed, fingers gripping it tightly. “I didn’t pick it out, okay? I told my parents I wanted a real bed and they gave me this.”

           “You know,” Zitao pauses, biting his lip as if deciding whether or not he should say what he’s thinking. Of course he can’t hold back so he says, “This bed definitely suits someone who’s a Young…”

           “Finish that sentence and I’m kicking you out. You can walk back to school for all I care.”

           Zitao cracks up and this time Baekhyun kicks him in the shin. “C’mon idiot. Let’s wash up so we can eat.”

           Zitao bites back the words, “As you wish, Young Master,” because he thinks Baekhyun’s about to reach his limit with this joke.

           The dining room is spacious and simply decorated with a long, low wooden table situated in the middle of the room. The carvings on the legs match those on the door and shutters of the house. A stack of plush, silk cushions rest in the corner. The colors and designs of both the room and the cushions resemble those on the outer portion of the house. Two cushions are already situated at one end of the table. At least a dozen side dishes are already placed around the center of the table between the two place settings, a clearing in the middle reserved for the main dish.

           The two boys take a seat, waiting in anticipation to see what Mrs. Jung will bring them for lunch. She approaches the table with a large covered pot, setting it down on a potholder before ceremonially lifting the lid. Steam rises, blocking their view for a moment and then they lay their eyes on a simmering dish of spicy beef hot pot. Their mouths water at the sight of it and Baekhyun’s saying, “Thank you for the food,” just as his chopsticks dig in. They eat without saying much, their mouths too full with delicious food.

           By the end of the meal, they’re both lying on the dining room floor, stomachs over expanded and happy. Zitao wouldn’t mind lying there for a while, but Baekhyun has other plans for them. He stands, hovering over Zitao while extending an arm out to help him up. “Let’s go walk off some of this food. I want to show you around.”

           Zitao takes the offered hand, groaning as he stands. “Can’t we just relax for a bit? You know, let our food settle.”

           Baekhyun shakes his head, leading them back to his room so they can retrieve their coats. “We’re burning daylight hours and I want to show around before it gets too dark out.”

           “Are you sure you’re not using this as a ploy to burn off some of those calories you just consumed because I teased you earlier about gaining weight?”

           “You’re over thinking things.” Baekhyun leads them back to the front entrance. “We’ve been stuck in a car for most of the morning. I would like to stretch my legs a bit. Besides, there’s a place I want to show that looks amazing right before sunset.”

           Zitao doesn’t say anything else as he tugs on his shoes and follows Baekhyun out the front door and around the back of the house. They pass by the outer buildings on their way to the woods. When they walk by one of the buildings closer to the back of the house, Zitao’s body seizes up, a shudder passing through him as his senses go haywire. There’s something in that building that causes him to recoil. He hesitates, staring at it for a moment before Baekhyun’s calling out to him and telling him to hurry up. He makes a mental note to check it later and again that feeling of unease settles in his gut.

           There’s a small trail that a normal person might miss if their not looking closely enough but Zitao sees it with his keen eyes. Baekhyun follows it, walking in front of Zitao for a ways because the path is narrow, but it eventually widens enough for them to walk together. The sounds of nature surround them. Little rustlings here and there, wind brushing against their bodies and sending chills down their spines. The weather is slowly changing, but this is their favorite time of year. They both love the changing of the leaves and cool nip of the wind at their noses. It’s refreshing after a long, sweltering summer.

           “Hey, Baekhyun?” Zitao calls after while.

           “Yeah?”

           “Do you like living all the way out here?”

           “Sometimes,” Baekhyun answers honestly. “It’s nice to get away from everything, but it can be kind of lonely.”

           Zitao nods. “Why are your parents away all the time? I mean, what do they do?”

           “I’m not really sure. They don’t talk about their work much. I think they might work with the government or something. They’re very secretive about the things they do, so I don’t really ask about it.” Baekhyun stops walking because there’s a fallen tree in his path. It takes him a second to climb over it, but in that moment of silence when he stops, Zitao picks up a sound in the distance, something distinctly out of place. He doesn’t draw attention to it, but now his ears are focused, zoned in just in case something or someone decides to get a little too close to them.

           Zitao wonders if he’s being overly paranoid now, but there are just one too many red flags waving furious in his mind right now. First the feeling in the car, then the scent in the house, then that creepy outer building, and now there’s something in the woods. Everything combined is making him antsy and he doesn’t like it. He doesn’t like the feeling of knowing that something is coming and not knowing what that something is. He wants to know. His instincts are telling him to search it out but he can’t because he’s with Baekhyun and he doesn’t want to leave him, not to mention the fact that it would be weird if Zitao went running through the woods after some unknown presence.

           The wind suddenly shifts and his nose picks up a scent. It’s different from the one in the house. This one’s familiar and it settles him. He feels a little more at ease now, but it agitates him to know that one of his kind, someone from his own pack, is following him without permission. At least he knows that this is someone he can trust, someone he might have considered a friend if he hadn’t already been labeled as a bodyguard for Zitao.

           Regardless of the fact that Zitao now knows whom the presence in the woods belongs to, he still can’t help feeling unnerved by the other instances in the house. But he doesn’t have time to think about that because Baekhyun’s calling his name. “Zitao? Are you listening? Zitao?”

           He hums in response finally refocusing on his friend.

           “I said,” Baekhyun starts to repeat his question. “We always talk about my family, but what about yours? What’s your family like?”

           Zitao shakes his head as they continue on the path to wherever Baekhyun’s taking them. “I don’t really like talking about my family.”

           “Why not?”

           “I guess you could say I’m not exactly part of the family anymore.”

           “How so?”

           “I left home.”

           Baekhyun frowns, glancing up at Zitao for a moment. “That doesn’t mean you’re not part of the family. It just means you’re away from home. Unless, of course, you’re not allowed back…like they disowned you or something.”

           “I guess you could put it that way. My family’s kind of big on sticking together and me leaving is like me betraying them.” Zitao shrugs.

           “Why’d you leave?” Baekhyun’s sounds thoroughly interested but Zitao really doesn’t want to get into this right now.

           “Differences in opinions. I didn’t like my family’s lifestyle, so I left,” Zitao explains.

           Baekhyun his bottom lip between his teeth, gnawing in thought. “What do you mean by their lifestyles? Were they gangsters or something? At least that’s what most people say at school, that you like some sort of trained killer or something.”

           “Do you believe that?” Zitao asks quietly, like he’s testing Baekhyun.

           “Not really.” Baekhyun answers.

           “What if it were true?”

           Baekhyun stops, staring at Zitao with concern in his eyes. “If it were true, I’d still think you were a good person. You’re my friend,” Baekhyun emphasizes. “I trust you.”

           Zitao has to look away because he feels guilty for not telling Baekhyun the truth, but he really can’t bring himself to say it. Even with Baekhyun’s reassurances, he still can’t put it into words what he is. He’s afraid to say it, doesn’t want to say it, doesn’t want to make it more real than it already is. At least when he’s with Baekhyun, he can act normal and he wants to hold onto that normalcy for as long as possible.

           “Hey,” Baekhyun says, placing his hand on Zitao’s arm. “I know I talk about myself a lot and you listen to me complain a lot, but if you ever feel like talking, I can be a really great listener.”

           Zitao can’t stop the laugh from coming out of his mouth as his eyes curl with the smile splitting across his face. “I’ll remember that,” he says.

           “Good.” Baekhyun gives his signature bright, toothy grin in return. “Now let’s get going before it gets too late.” He hooks his arm in Zitao’s, pulling him along the path.

           At some point the path steadily begins to incline as they climb up what seems to be a steep hill. Baekhyun’s still got a hold on Zitao except now it seems like their roles have switched because Zitao’s in front practically dragging Baekhyun along. It’s obvious the shorter of the two is out of shape with the way he’s breathing heavily even though they haven’t done much to exert themselves.

           When they make it towards the top of the hill, the trees become sparse, opening up into a clearing. The sound of water hits their ears long before they can see the source, but when they do, Zitao stares in awe at the sight. At the top of the hill, there’s a small pool of water within a clearing and on the farthest side away from them, there’s a cliff, spouting a fairly nice sized waterfall. The stone making up the cliff is dark and marbled and it glistens when the light hits it. The sun is shining through the clearing in the trees at just the right angle, creating a rainbow in the mist that sprays off the falling water. It’s absolutely breathtaking.

           “How’d you find this place?” Zitao asks after a while.

Baekhyun smiles mischievously. “I got lost.”

           “Figures,” Zitao says, pulling playfully at Baekhyun’s reddened ear causing him to flinch away. Zitao pauses, reaching up to place the back of his hand to Baekhyun’s ear. “Why are you so cold?” he asks truly astounded. “It’s not even that chilly out here.”

           “Speak for yourself,” Baekhyun says, shoving his hands in his pockets while squeezing his arms to his sides. Now that they’re not walking and generating body heat anymore, the bite of the wind feels especially chilling, even more so at this altitude.

           “Here.” Zitao steps behind Baekhyun, wrapping his arms around Baekhyun’s shoulders pressing his chest to the other’s back. There’s a tense moment before Baekhyun sighs, relaxing into his roommate.

           “Why are you so warm all the time?” Baekhyun asks, burying his face into Zitao’s crossed arms using them as a makeshift scarf.

           “Must be hereditary,” Zitao replies, resting his head beside Baekhyun’s. “Is it a problem?”

           “Only when you give me heat while I’m trying to sleep,” Baekhyun jokes.

           Zitao laughs, the sound ringing in Baekhyun’s ear because they’re so close. It startles him for a moment and then the wind picks up, hitting them hard now that the trees aren’t protecting them as much. Zitao picks up his packmate’s scent again, only this time it’s mixed with another scent and he’s trying to concentrate on the two but Baekhyun’s so close right now and everything mixes together. It’s too much. Something’s going on and Zitao thinks it’s no longer safe for them to be out here in the open.

           “Maybe we should head back,” he suggests. “This place is really pretty and all but it’s getting kind of late.”

           Baekhyun shivers through a cold chill before nodding in agreement. Zitao unwraps his arms, taking one of Baekhyun’s hands in his own as they make their way back through the forest. He doesn’t let go until they make it all they way back home and all the while, Baekhyun’s hyper aware of the attachment, but he doesn’t say anything, grateful for the bit of warmth emanating from his roommate’s palm. Zitao easily remembers the way back and with him setting the pace they make it home in no time; it kind of helped that the way home was downhill though.

           Once they’re inside, Baekhyun breathes in the warm air, letting it fill his lungs and settle within his body. Zitao’s also happy to be back, but he’s also annoyed because that irritatingly scratchy scent seems even stronger now. It feels like he’s having an allergic reaction to it and he thinks he’s going crazy because it’s so overwhelming. If there’s one thing that Zitao absolutely hates, it’s being uncomfortable and this scent is doing that for him. What’s more irritating is how familiar this scent feels, likes he’s smelt it before, like he should what’s so important about this scent. The red flag is in head is waving frantically and he suddenly feels very unsafe.  

           Then Baekhyun’s there again, gripping Zitao’s hand to get his attention. “Let’s go back to my room until it’s dinner time.”

           Zitao perks up at the idea, hoping that maybe the smell of Baekhyun’s room will help wash away whatever irritants he’s inhaled in the rest of the house. Maybe he’ll feel safer there.

           Once they’re in the confines of Baekhyun’s room, they both lose their coats, opting to curl up on the bed with Baekhyun’s comforter. Even so, Baekhyun snuggles in close to Zitao trying to steal his warmth.

           “Do you think your house smells funny?” Zitao asks, because it’s still nagging at him.

           “I guess it smells kind of old, but that’s because it’s hardly ever used. I don’t think it’s a bad smell though, but maybe I’m just used to it.” Baekhyun’s head is resting just below Zitao’s left shoulder and from there he has to angle his head back to look up at his roommate. “Does it bother you?”

           Zitao nods, frown spreading across his face. “I guess you could say it’s irritating me a bit.”

           “Hmm, maybe you’re allergic to something here then.”

           “Maybe.” Zitao doesn’t want to talk about it anymore so he let’s the conversation drop and Baekhyun decides to choose a topic he thinks is more exciting to pass the time: food. He talks about everything he wants to eat before they go back to school and Zitao’s teases him about gaining weight again, but everything remains light so as not annoy Baekhyun too much now that his mood is up. Zitao finds he’s enjoying himself, finds that he enjoys the way Baekhyun gets so excited about the smallest things and makes them seem so incredible. With Baekhyun talking away, time passes quickly and soon enough Mrs. Jung comes to tell them dinner’s ready. Zitao’s happy for more delicious food, but he disappointed to be leaving Baekhyun’s room. His head had finally cleared after inhaling such a saturated amount of Baekhyun’s scent, that little flag loosing some of its momentum. He wonders if he can find an excuse to sit next to Baekhyun during dinner with the hope that his roommate can cancel out the scent of the rest of the house just by being in close proximity.

           Surprisingly Zitao gets his wish. When they arrive at the dining room, there are four place settings at the table instead of two. Baekhyun looks confused for a moment before he calls out. “Mrs. Jung, are you joining us for dinner?” Normally, her and Mr. Jung eat in the kitchen unless Baekhyun’s home alone and he asks them to join him.

           Mrs. Jung reenters the room carrying a plate of braised fish. “No, Young Master. You’re parents have just arrived. They will be joining you shortly.”

           Baekhyun’s mouth drops open in shock and the mention of his parents has him forgetting about that stupid title he hates so much. “What are they doing here?”

           “Are you implying that you don’t want us to be here?” Baekhyun’s mom says while entering the room, followed closely by Mr. Byun. “That’s so cruel son.”

           “What? No welcome home for your dear parents,” Mr. Byun says, plastering a smile that’s almost sickening to look at on his face. “I see you have company.”

           It’s there, that scent. It’s so overwhelming and saturated at this point that Zitao has to practically hold his breath to keep himself from reacting to it. He knows why that scent was so familiar now. It’s a scent that’s so distinct and so perceptible to only his kind, a scent that’s supposed to act as a warning, to let Zitao and his people know danger is close. Except this particular scent has been mixed with something else. It’s been diluted, somehow changed from it’s original state which is why Zitao couldn’t figure it out at first, but it’s no less potent in it’s current form and its doing its job remarkably well now that Zitao knows what it is. His nerves are on end and his reflexes are ready to snap into fight mode but he can’t because Baekhyun’s there beside him and he doesn’t think it would be a good idea to attack Baekhyun’s parents in front of him. For a split second, he wonders if Baekhyun knows if he’s in on this too and Zitao was just too stupid to figure it out before. But one look at Baekhyun’s face tells him that no, Baekhyun doesn’t know, that he’s absolutely clueless about what’s going on in his family.

           Everyone stands silent in observance of one another. Zitao sees it in Baekhyun’s parents’ eyes; they know exactly what he is and they’re smirking as he comes to realize exactly what they are.

           Trackers.

 

 


I couldn't help myself. This update was screaming to come out of me and now here it is. I hope the next one comes just as quickly...or at least more quickly than the last one came.

Sorry for the cliffhanger but it felt like a good place to leave off because a lot is about to happen. Eeeekkk...I hope it all works out in the end.

Thanks so much for reading and subscribing and commenting. It really improves my mood and writing abilities.

<3 Jae