Wednesday

Strangers Talk

Not just a day.

Nor even a week.

But a month.

We’ve been stuck together for a month and yet the only thing I know about Jongin is his full name, that he lives alone, he have a part time job moving boxes at a local store, he has chocolate brown eyes, soft black hair, tan skin and an innocent smile.

That’s it.

He never mentions his family or any friends other than me.

And the weird thing is...

We only see each other after school, at the back yard.

But I promised that I would never ask.

 


 

“Hey.”

“Hey.”

I was earlier than him. He seated on the piece of paper I laid out for him when I got there.

“How’s class?” I asked.

“same old. You?”

“Meh. Just the same.”

There was an eerie silence. Usually Jongin follows it with a philosophical remark but instead of indulging me to something methaphorical, he took me by surprise by saying,

“Kyungsoo... I’m gonna have with Kris.”

“W-What!? I thought you were done with that business?!”

“I... need money...”

“For?”

Jongin was fumbling on his fingers. “My rent is due soon and what I earn from my part-time job isn’t enough.”

I need to think. I don’t want Jongin to sell himself again.

“How ‘bout I buy you?”

“What!?”

“Of course I won’t have with you.”

“No, Kyungsoo. I just can’t accept free money.”{

“It’s not for free.” I said as I lay Sophie down on the ground beside me and face Jongin. “Just smile, Jongin. I’ll pay you for your smile.”

“But Kyungsoo –“

“No, Jongin. You know how prude I am. And just seeing you with your stupid smile is already enough.”

 

It seems like Jongin is having a hard time taking the situation in, but later on he gave me that smile.

The smile that I like. The price that I paid for it isn’t enough.

Because for me, seeing Jongin’s smile is priceless.