My Mom's Confession

My Mom's Confession

A/N: Again, this is a random oneshot. Don't say I didn't warn you. Lol. Enjoy~ 

 

Untitled

 

“No, finals are this week and most of the projects are due as well.”

 

“Since it’ll be a busy week for you, don’t forget to take extra vitamins and drink plenty of water okay?”

 

“Yes, mom.” Amber smiled into the webcam.

 

Just then, the front door opened.

 

“Oh, hang on a sec mom, my roommate’s back.” Amber sat up in her chair and turned to greet the girl now entering the room. “Hey, you’re back?”

 

“Yep, classes ended early today,” replied Krystal as she walked past the tomboy over to her bed to drop off her things. “Video calling?” Krystal asked when she noticed another person’s face taking up most of the screen on Amber’s laptop.

 

“Yeah, my mom, I’ll be done in a second. We can go to dinner afterwards.”

 

“Ah, no worries, take as long as you need. I’m not that hungry yet anyways.” Krystal took out her own laptop and turned it on.

 

“Ok.” Amber turned back to face her laptop to see her mom smiling widely at her. “What?” asked the tomboy.

 

Mrs. Liu smiled wider. “You were so right, honey.”

 

Amber furrowed her brows. “Huh? Right about what?”

 

“Krystal’s soooo pretty,” cooed Mrs. Liu.

 

The words at first didn’t register in Amber’s mind, but when it finally did, the tomboy’s face immediately turned pink at the cheeks.

 

“Wha—Mom!” Amber whined into the webcam embarrassingly before turning to take a peek at Krystal to see if the latter heard.

 

Krystal was scrolling through her laptop as naturally as she could, but the shade of pink that had crept into her cheeks gave her away. It was obvious she heard.

 

Amber then turned back to face the screen and pouted.

 

“What? I was just agreeing with you. You said you like her and I can see why now,” said Mrs. Liu.

 

Amber almost fell off her chair in shock at her mother’s revelation. “Mom!”

 

“What? Didn’t you say you like her?”

 

“Mom!” Amber was now frantically trying to mute her laptop speaker.

 

“Have you asked her out yet?” Mrs. Liu asks as she watches her daughter jabbing at her laptop keyboard crazily.

 

“Oh my—Mom, stop it! Aish, why isn’t this working!” Amber grumbled frustratingly as her laptop speaker refuses to mute or lower its volume no matter how many times she presses the buttons.

 

“Amber honey, what are you doing?” Mrs. Liu asks as Amber starts rummaging through her desk drawer. “And why is your face so red? Are you getting a fever? I told you to take your vitamins daily. How will you do well on your exams if you’re sick?”

 

“Ah darn it! Where are my headphones?!” Amber was now beyond embarrassed. Not only did Krystal hear everything her mother was saying, she also heard Amber’s frustrated mental breakdown towards her unresponsive laptop and desperate attempt at stopping her mother from revealing anything else.

 

“Honey, what are you doing?” Mrs. Liu asks again, watching her daughter through her screen pulling everything out of her desk drawer. “And why are you looking for headphones?”

 

Amber finally gave up on her search for her headphones and returned to jabbing at her keyboard and clicking the mute button on her Skype video call window.

 

And just like that, Mrs. Liu finally realized why Amber was searching for her headphones.

 

“Omo, can she hear me?” Mrs. Liu asked leaning towards her computer screen and webcam. After clearing , the older woman called out with a smile, “Krystal honey, if you can hear me, I think you are very very pretty.”

 

Amber face-palmed and scrambled underneath her desk for the power cord, ready to unplug it since her laptop refuses to respond to any of her attempts at muting it, ending the call, lowering the volume, nothing. It just sat on her desk as if mocking her.

 

Krystal shyly got off her chair and made her way over to Amber’s desk while Amber was busy underneath it trying to find the right power cord to unplug.

 

“Thank you Mrs. Liu.” Krystal blushed as she smiled at the older woman on the screen.

 

Mrs. Liu chuckled. “Not at all, so has my daughter been treating you nicely? How many dates have—”

 

“Got it!” Amber held the plug in her hand and laughed victoriously. As she was trying to crawl backwards out from underneath the desk, she tried to stand a little too early and ended up bumping her head on the edge of the desk. “Ow!” the girl yelped in pain.

 

Krystal held back a giggle and scooted backwards away from the desk to give Amber room.

 

Rubbing the top of her head in pain, Amber stood up off the ground and dusted her pants with one hand while looking down at her now black screened laptop.

 

“Ugh, so embarrassing,” Amber muttered to herself, shaking her head.

 

Krystal held back another giggle and cleared .

 

Amber’s ears perked at the sound behind her and she suddenly remembered that Krystal was in the room. She was so busy trying to kill her laptop that she momentarily forgot Krystal was there.

 

Turning around slowly, Amber attempted at a normal smile but it immediately turned into an awkward and mortified one.

 

“So that was your mom huh?” Krystal asked, smiling at the older girl.

 

Amber hesitantly nodded, the idea of denying the older woman as her mother crossing her mind for a brief moment. But then again, she practically screamed ‘Mom’ a billion times at her laptop when she was trying to mute it and shut it down so denying it wouldn’t work.

 

“Yeah…” Amber looked down at her feet, her face slowly growing redder by the minute.

 

“I like her,” Krystal said, holding back yet another giggle as what happened earlier played through her mind again.

 

“…yeah…me too…” Amber replied, waiting for the worst to come. After all, her mother did just tell Krystal, her roommate, that she secretly likes her. Well, it’s not so much a secret now since the younger girl knows. Amber can only hope Krystal doesn’t find it disgusting or revolting, or worse, wants to move out.

 

She doesn’t know if she can handle Krystal ignoring her. It was one of the reasons why she didn’t say anything or act on her feelings in the first place in fear it would scare the girl away. It’s not like a girl liking another girl was a normal thing to just casually talk about, at least not in this society it isn’t. It took Amber a long time to finally come out to her parents. Plus, Krystal has gushed over guys in her classes to Amber many times so it’s not her fault to think Krystal doesn’t swing the same way as her.

 

“She’s funny,” said Krystal.

 

And loves to embarrass me, Amber said nothing.

 

“About your video call with your mom…I have to confess something…” Krystal looked down and fidgeted with her fingers shyly.

 

Amber looked up at the girl curiously, a bit of hope suddenly rising within her, is it possible that…she feels the same way?

 

“I wasn’t trying to ease drop or anything…but I heard everything your mom said…”

 

Amber blushed a brighter shade of red as the events replayed inside her head. “I-it’s…S-she’s….I….” Amber trailed off, not exactly sure what she should say. Should she plead guilty or not guilty? What if she lied and said it was a different Krystal her mom was talking about? There are plenty of girls named Krystal in the world so maybe – just maybe – she could use that as a possible escape route if things were to turn bad?

 

“To be honest...” Krystal started, finally looking Amber in the eyes.

 

Amber took a deep breath to prepare herself for the worst possible outcome.

 

“…I actually feel the same way about you,” said the younger girl.

 

There was a moment of silence as the words slowly processed in Amber’s mind and when it finally did, the older girl could only stare back at Krystal in surprise, mouth half open, not really believing what she just heard.

 

Krystal shifted nervously in her spot. “I…I like you too…”

 

Amber’s jaw dropped even more.

 

Krystal bit her lip shyly, her eyes darting back and forth between Amber and the floor. “Well, say something…”

 

Amber reached up and pinched her arm to check if she was dreaming. After flinching from the sting, she brought a hand up and waved it back and forth in front of her eyes, double checking to make sure it really wasn’t a dream. When Krystal was still standing there in front of her, Amber closed and cleared . “Y-you…l-like me too…?”

 

A small nod from the blushing Krystal.

 

Amber could feel her heart about to race out of her chest.

 

“I…I-I like y-you too…” A red-faced Amber admitted. “A lot.”

 

Krystal bit her lip and smiled. “Me too...a lot…”

 

Amber grinned dorkily as she tried to keep her happiness from exploding. Even though she appeared almost calm on the outside, her insides were blasting flower petals and rainbows everywhere.

 

If it wasn’t for her mom unknowingly saying all those things out loud, Amber wasn’t sure when she would eventually work up the courage to confess to Krystal about her one-sided feelings, if ever.

 

Jotting down a mental note to thank her mother later and to buy her the best Mother’s Day gift ever, Amber shyly held out her hand towards Krystal, who quietly took it, ears turning bright red.

 

“Let’s go get dinner.”

 

Thanks, Mom.

 

 

 

 

-----

End. 

Couldn't think of title for this random oneshot so it's Untitled for now. I thought about titling it Mom! but idk lol. Any suggestions?

Also, I'm not gonna disappear again for a long time after this post so don't worry. In fact, I am in the process of finishing up one more part for one of the stories and will be doing a MASS update so that's something for you guys to look forward to if you read my other stories. I won't say how soon though because I want it to be a surprise. :)