LUX IN TENEBRIS- THE FOUR WALLS OF MY SOUL

MAGES AND MUSES
jae

LUX IN TENEBRIS- THE FOUR WALLS OF MY SOUL-4


Ancient Goryeo, 920 A.D


With the blink of an eye the Dark shadows fell upon the Kingdom. Like an ocean of black swirling across the sky, the clouds covered the enormous sun, covering every shred of light that dared to bleed through. As night spread throughout the Kingdom, the woodland creatures all halted their activities and hid beneath their caverns. 

The Mage halted his breath. His heart racing across his chest like a thousand horses he alerted all of the guards and high priests of the Palace.

“Captain Commander! I need you to secure the King and his family within their chambers. Everyone must stand by the walls of the Kingdom. Lock all the entrances. Nothing must get in, do you understand?” 

The Captain looked at the Mage’s frantic face, eyes filled with questions, “What is going on? What is getting in?” 

“I don’t know…just do as I say. Bring out all our best swordsmen.” With a swift motion and strained eyes, the Mage left the Captain to his duties and went to seek out his mentor, the head Priest. Running out of time, he ran to the East temple of the palace. 

The head Priest was a tall figure clad in a blue robe from head to toe. His face was covered with a mask that had a symbol of his temple, a single strike across his left eye to distinguish him from his peers. Hearing the cries of the Mage, the Priest quickly stopped his reading sessions with the children and sent them all to their rooms as a precaution. 

“Changmin?” 

The Mage burst through the temple doors, his appearance disheveled, and out of breath. 

“Aza-shiu,” Changmin bent to his knees in respect.

“Stand before me, the kneeling is unnecessary,” the Priest gently put his hands upon the Mage’s shoulders and made him stand tall. “What is happening? Have you had another vision?” He asked with a stern voice. The Mage’s appearance perplexed him.

Outside-” Changmin was out of breath, “There are black clouds are rolling in unlike any other, the moon will rise soon! We have to extend the veil around the whole Kingdom!”

The Priest stood idly, “Changmin,” his voice still controlled, “We cannot bring the veil up right now. The veil must stay within the palace walls and protect our Royal Highness and his family. What is it? I don’t understand you. This full moon is like any other. The creatures of the Dark will not harm us. The Forest will keep them out of the palace walls, and protect the Kingdom.” 

The Priest tried to reassure the Mage as best as he could.

“Aza-shiu, your grace, this time it will be different!” Changmin pleaded. “I was given a warning message by Death himself.” 

Within the confines of his mask, the Priest’s eyes widened. “That is absurd! What nonsense are you saying?” he replied with disbelief. 

Changmin continued to recount the exact contents of the letter, trying his best to convey the information he was handed, but he left out the part about the spell Junsu had given him- that was best kept secret. 

The Priest pressed him for more questions, but as the minutes continued, they gathered their weapons and prepared for battle. It has been two-hundred years since the creatures of the shadows rebelled against their people. 

Long ago when they decided to surrender the ways of being savages, their ancestors poured all of their power and what was left of their magic into planting a magical Forest that kept the evil away from their land, so that they could live in peace. Yet, perhaps the day has come when all of this had to change. And once again they will relive sickness, disease, and a plague of death.

“Changmin,” the Priest turned to his pupil.

“Yes, Aza-shiu?” 

“Watch your back tonight. If this is indeed as you say. Then we have to prepare for war.”

Changmin and the Priest swiftly walked through the halls of the Eastern Temple, making their way towards the central palace. The Priest directed all of the remaining guards to protect the outer walls. The servants ran to their quarters and locked their doors. 

The Mage stood in the darkness of an empty library, with the Priest idly standing behind him, both trying to plan a defensive strategy towards the plague of demons that were attempting to take over their Kingdom.

“Changmin, we cannot act rashly.”

“Your holiness, what are we to do then?”

“We are treading blindly on hot coals. I cannot allow you to use your magic so carelessly.”

The Mage ran his hands through his hair. 

“We don’t have a choice.” 

Suddenly from in between the bookshelves emerged a hooded figure.

Startled, both the Mage and Priest aimed their daggers at him.

The figure merely chuckled and pulled the hood from his head to reveal his face. 

“Hello Mage. Lower those weapons, they’re of no use against me.” He said cheerfully, with a trace of mockery. 

Changmin cautiously lowered his weapon and with a quick glance at the Priest he reassured that the figure was not a true threat.

The man was of average height. Clearly, by his physical appearance he was not an ordinary human.

Blood-red long hair spilled from his scalp, below his shoulders. Horns emerged from his head, indicating his demonic ancestry. He had an ethereal beauty, comparable to that of a woman. His lips were pink, inviting, and sparkling. As he smiled, he revealed a set of fangs. 

“Master has sent me to help you.” 

The Priest looked at him with slight fear, “Who are you?” 

“I am Heechul.” 

Changmin looked at his religious companion once again to remind him that the being was not a threat, but an ally. 

“He is the river Charon to the Netherworld. He assists the grim reaper. Why are you here -among the mortals?” Changmin looked upon his longtime ally with suspicion. 

Heechul looked at the Priest with half-moon eyes and a menacing smile. He could feel the blood-rushing inside the mortal’s chest. 

My dear Mage, make this holy relic leave my sights at once and I will tell you everything you need to know. My words are for your ears only.”  Heechul pointed at the Priest with a gloved finger. 

Changmin hesitated for a brief moment, “Your holiness, please leave us for a moment to discuss.”

With an angry expression painted upon his face, the Priest turned to the hell-creature. 

“I take great offense to this. How dare you? You disgusting hellion! Leave our dominion creature! You have no part in our war! Changmin! This is absurd!” 

Heechul continued to smile, “The only absurdity here are the clothes you wear. Tasteless sense in fashion. I suggest you curb your mouth, or you might not live to see the morning sun.”

“Ok, enough of this. Please, your holiness just step out for a moment. I will deal with this myself.”

With Changmin’s last words, the masked Priest removed his presence from the library.

“Was that necessary Heechul?”

“I don’t trust masked creatures-especially mortals.”

“It is a part of his religion to do so. Why must you judge it?”

“Religion? Bah, I don’t care for it. Just fairy tales humans create at the end of the day to make themselves sleep better at night.”

“Why are you here?”

“My master, Junsu, has sent me.”

“He also sent Yoochun, why is he sending lackeys to do his work for him?”

Heechul grabbed Changmin by the arm and dragged him to the windows. 

“What is it?” Changmin looked out into the dark.

“Look closely.” Heechul insisted.

The Mage squinted his eyes, but all he saw against the dark backdrop was trees and a gravel road. But, as he stared longer and harder, figures began to appear from the dark shadows. 

Shadow creatures began to manifest themselves from the darkness. Just skeletons riding upon skeletal horses and mares. Flesh no longer upon their white bones, they were covered in black tattered clothes and were all lined up in perfect formation. It was an army, a whole entire army of these shadow creatures, sent directly from the underworld.

Gasping in horror, recognizing the army of undead, Changmin looked at Heechul with a confused expression upon his face, “Shadow Riders? Why?”

“There is a swarm of demons coming from the lands of Silla. Half of their people have been wiped out already, adding to the army of the undead. All of them are heading this way right at this moment. Tonight the powers of darkness are strongest under the full-moon. Together, they plan on awakening the blood-moon. They need power. That is what they seek in order to grow and multiply. The border to Goryeo must be protected.”

The Mage felt fear creep into his chest for the first time since he was a child. His eyes felt heavy suddenly. He felt the weight of his clothes upon his body. The world felt foreign suddenly-distant.

“Heechul…what is the blood-moon?” The Mage asked with a perturbed face. 

The demon put the palms of his hands on the Mage’s shoulders and whispered words of reassurance into his ears. 

“Don’t worry about such details. That is my master’s duty to fulfill. The Shadow Riders are under my full control. I will help you eradicate those creatures.”

“I don’t understand though, why has Junsu allowed you to cross onto the mortal realm? Who is going to look after the souls that cross into your plane?” 

Heechul gave a low sigh and with an expressionless gaze looked towards the sky.

“My master has closed all of the portals to the netherworld. It’s unfortunate, but this issue has become our business now. We would’ve left you all to suffer and die, that would’ve been a great benefit to us….but there’s a problem.”

Changmin glanced towards Heechul with concentration as he continued to speak. 

“The dead souls these demons reap… become diseased. Once they cross over to our dimension, they become useless. They only plague our pure souls. The issue is that we cannot send them to their next cycle- for reincarnation. They breed and grow, consuming what they can. The Shadow Riders are undead as well, that makes them the perfect contenders to destroy the plagued demonic souls that are coming for you without getting diseased. The master has already eradicated what’s left of them in the netherworld and then sent his Shadow Riders for you. Consider it a gift.”

Changmin’s face twisted in horror. “But, if the portals are closed, where do the dead souls of ordinary humans go?” 

“Nowhere. They remain alive. Their souls momentarily leave their body, but with nowhere to go, they’ll just return back to whence they came from. But, once the portals open, they’ll all drop dead like flies.” Heechul gave a dark chuckle. 

“What do you need me to do?” 

“Protect the royal bloodline, as usual. The King and his son have great potential power. These demons will seek to eat them I suppose. Yoochun was given a duty by the Heavens to give the King a golden stone necklace as protection. Those damned angels always make us do all the work for them. Lazy s. My great concern is the Prince, Junsu prophesized that he will become a powerful man in the futures to come. Make sure no harm comes to him.” 

Changmin took in a small breath and nodded quickly. Trepidation now spread through his legs. 

“Oh and one more thing.” Heechul began to say, “There is a mortal leading this army of demons. He goes by the name Lux in Tenebris. Quite ironic. The Light in Darkness. If you ever have to face him, use the spell my master equipped you with.”

Changmin nodded with understanding. “Heechul, this man is a mortal?” 

“Yes, I just said that. Pay attention. We don’t know how he came about to control this army of demons. He’s a twisted son of a . Just tread carefully. Everything I told you right now, keep it between us.” 

“Heechul, I will put up the veil to protect the city.” 

“Do as you must. Try to conserve your powers.”

The demon and the Mage exited the library. As they walked through the dark halls, an eerie silence surrounded them. Heechul lengthened his distance from the Mage and melted into the shadows. As Changmin walked towards the main chambers where the source of the veil’s power was held he felt uneasy. He stopped his advancement and looked around. 

“Who’s there?” He shouted. 

He heard the squawk of a lone crow and the chirping of cicadas. With a leer the moonlight began to cast itself upon the empty marble hall. The statues almost seemed alive as their shadows grew bigger against the empty walls. 

Changmin kept his face directed straight ahead, trying to direct his ears towards a familiar sound. He sensed the presence of another looming close to his body. Suddenly he felt an object against his back. A small knife was pressed against the small of his back. He let out a sharp gasp and a hand quickly covered his mouth. 

“Shh,” the voice began to say, “Don’t say another word.” 

Changmin’s eyes widened as he recognized his captor’s voice. “Aza-shiu, what is the meaning of this?” 

The Priest smiled beneath his mask, “I cannot allow you to activate the veil. My Lord will not like that.” 

Changmin let out a pained grunt as the knife dug into the surface of his flesh. 

“Why are you doing this? Don’t you know that this will wipe out our entire Kingdom?” 

The Priest pressed his body against Changmin’s. He put his lips against the Mage’s ear, his whispering voice searing the surface his skin that made his victim stand still.  

“What are a few sacrifices for our cause?” 

“And what cause is this that requires the death of many? You are unleashing a never ending plague!” The Mage beseeched. 

The Priest gave a low chuckle, raising the knife from the small of the Mage’s back to the his neck. “To get rid of unnatural creatures such as yourself.” 

With a broken voice, Changmin spoke. “I trusted you…” 

“You shouldn’t have. Don’t sound so broken.” The Priest rolled his eyes. “We need you alive, in order to harvest your spiritual energy and use them against your very brethren. A means to an end.” 

“I will never forgive your treachery. Once the King hears of this-”

“Ah ah, but I’m sure your King is dead by now.” 

“What?” Changmin widened his eyes in shock .

“My Lord and savior wastes no time.” 

The Priest released Changmin from his grip, but kept the knife at his throat. 

“Don’t try any of your magical games. This dagger is laced with poison. The moment it punctures your skin, you’ll be dead in seconds.” 

Suddenly the Priest recoiled from Changmin. He cried out in pain and grabbed his head. His finger nails dug into his scalp as the pain increased. His whole body began to convulse. The dagger dropped to the floor and Changmin distanced himself away from him in confusion. 

Heechul stepped out of the shadows, his right hand directed at the Priest. 

You,” The Priest turned his head in disgust at the hell-creature. “What have you done to me?” 

Heechul looked towards the direction of the Mage and haughtily replied: “You see, this is why I don’t trust masked creatures and religious baboons. Forget the veil, I will activate it myself, go find the Prince and keep him safe.” Heechul then turned at the convulsing figure of the Priest, “I will handle this excrement myself.” He spat. A hint of rage in his voice. He discarded his gloves aside and gave a taunting smile.  

The Mage nodded in agreement and with no other thoughts in his mind, he ran; the beating of his feet upon the marble floors furiouslt echoed throughout the palace, as he headed towards his charge. He could hear the beating of his heart as it drummed against his ribcage violently. Sweat beaded upon his forehead. His breathing became heavy as he pushed his legs to run faster. He used up half of his strength to build a protective field around the prince’s chambers, rendering him exhausted. 

Finally he broke through the doors of the central banquet hall. Changmin’s eyes shot frantically to the middle of the hall.

A figure stood, fully clad in black and blue robes that ran down his knees. He wore a black armor laced with gold on the edges of the chest plate with the emblem of a lion. He wore a grand headdress that managed to cover his entire head along with his face, only appearing to reveal a vicious pair of eyes. His stance alone indicated he was a leader and a warrior. He wore black boots that were already sullied from blood and grime. His back was still facing the Mage, but the slight turn of his neck, he glanced at the Mage’s direction with the peripheries of his eyes.

Changmin stared at the strange and menacing foreigner. 

This was the man- Lux in Tenebris.

He made no effort to hide his identity. From his appearance he was one who wanted to be noticed. To be seen and listened to. Such a powerful charisma flowed out of his eyes alone. 

The Mage’s gaze continued to pierce the figure’s profile. He noticed he held a long sword in his hand, blood dripped slowly as it streamed from the hilt to the tip. A pool of red was already forming around the foreigner’s feet. 

“What do you want from our lands?” Changmin swallowed his fears, now only determination gripping at his heart. 

His back still facing Changmin, the dark figure suddenly bent down and reached out for something. At first the Mage did not notice the source of the pool of blood, but suddenly it all began to make sense, as his eyes took in the unfolding imagery that was now bestowed upon him.

The dark figure brought out a severed head. Changmin gasped in horror, his face turned a sickly pale color. Tears threatened to fall from his eyes, as nausea threatened his stomach. 

It was the King. The one soul to be gathered, he was to die. Changmin turned his head away from this imagery. 

‘But no, the King can’t die, not yet, the portals to the netherworld are closed, he can compromise with Junsu to bring him back, after all this is done. He must…for the sake of the Prince.’

“You treacherous monster. What have you done?” Changmin shouted. 

The dark figure flung the head away carelessly. Once again he bent down, towards the rest of the King’s body, and gathered a necklace, that had a golden stone embedded upon it. 

“This is what I came for.” The man spoke. His voice was calm, which was a great contrast to his outer appearance. 

The Mage’s last ounce of patience was running thin. “All this for a piece of jewelry?” He spat. 

“No. I must cleanse this world. This object is capable of that.” 

“BY MURDERING THOUSANDS?” 

“A few sacrifices had to be made.”

“I heard that nonsense from your lackey!”

“My name is Sanshou. The Lux in Tenebris. I want to create a world of equality amongst all creatures. Don’t you find it unfair that some are born with greater advantages than others?” 

“We are all already born equal! Who are you to criticize the laws of nature?” 

“Oh, you foolish creature. What do you know of living the life of a mortal? You never had to work for anything your whole life. Your magic gives you power beyond anything the mind can imagine. You do not even use it for a good purpose. Before you know it this precious King of yours would have brainwashed you into destroying and killing neighboring countries and conquering them- for his own advantage.”

“So you envy me? And your best solution is to destroy us all? How? By using the very magical power you want to destroy?”

“I do not envy you. Once perhaps I did, until your kind destroyed my kin and home. Now I simply despise you. I will not kill you. You will give me your powers willingly. Do you know what this stone does? It is an apparatus to store spiritual energy and use that own power to form a protective barrier around yourself. But, it can also be used as a weapon. If you do not want any harm to befall your Prince, you will do as I say.” 

“No matter what I say, you’re determined to follow through with your evil plans. I will not negotiate with you. I will do as you wish. You want my power? Fine. But you’ll have to fight me for it!” 

South Korea, South Jeolla Province- Police Department- Present

The air-conditioner hummed in a rhythmical pattern. The office grew to an eerie silence. You could only hear the clinking of the teaspoons against the coffee cups and the repetitive clanking of the keys upon the keyboards. Anxious interns running back and forth with sweat upon their brows, eager to please the main inspector who came all the way from Seoul, hoping for a promotion. Office workers walked with determined gazes and the usual police in uniforms taking in es and petty criminals to their cells. The usual morning. 

Meanwhile in the office of Jung Yunho, there was cold-war in progress. 
Jaejoong flatly stared at the back of Yunho's figure, as the latter went through his bookshelf scavenging for his notes. The entire morning passed quickly since Jaejoong's arrival and nothing appeared to go as smoothly as he wanted. Concerned for his friend's well-being he tried to initiate conversation, but that only led to more insults thrown in his direction. Jaejoong now sat in Yunho's chair. His foreign presence in Yunho's office was clearly unwanted. 

Yunho took out a case-file and started looking through it, continuing to ignore every other living thing in his office.
Changmin went back inside his office, allowing them some privacy between two old long-time friends, and apparently former lovers. The young man's face grew thoroughly red and he ran away from civilization into his own small room for comfort to figure out how he was going to face his elders. 

Siwon sat on the bench in the hallway, trying to figure out how to make Yunho open his heart and have an actual conversation instead of burying his feelings. Deep inside, Siwon knew that Yunho has been acting out because of the loss of his best friend and the betrayal of his lover. Over twenty-six long years of friendship can't be thrown out the window, but the situation they all became involved in five years ago truly put them all on edge. Law enforcement isn't something that everyone can be a part of. It can be a cruel and cold workplace. All of them trained together.

Jaejoong grabbed one of the notebooks from Yunho's desk, not caring for its contents, or whether it was upside down or not, and started flipping through it with an agitated gesture. He huffed and sighed as he flipped through each page with anger and tried to make as much noise as possible to gain attention in his direction. 

"Aren't you even going to look at me?" Jaejoong asked.

"No. . Get out." Yunho's reply was curt, his eyes still glued towards the file in his hand.

"Oh wow, I'm so offended." Jaejoong widened his eyes and raised his arms high above his head in a dramatic motion.

"..."

"Babe, if you don't start talking, I'm going to start stripping." Jaejoong reached towards the top button of his white dress shirt, and gave a flirtatious wink in Yunho's direction. 

Yunho continued to go through his bookshelf, only angering his unwanted guest even more.

Jaejoong his teeth in irritation. "You know I can turn straight men gay,” Then, he looked at Yunho with pursed lips. “Ok. Fine. So you're now super-straight all of a sudden? Will I find an enchanted metallic chastity belt beneath those pants? I bet you still don’t wear any underwear under there." 

He got up from Yunho's chair and headed towards the hall, leaving the door wide open making sure everyone in the office look in his direction. 

"Hey everyone!" Everybody turned their heads towards Jaejoong. "How would you like a strip show?" He began to unbuckle his pants.

Yunho nearly twisted his neck as his head turned in Jaejoong’s direction. The vein in his neck nearly popped from rage as he bolted out from his office and harshly grabbed the older man by the arm and pushed him back inside. 

Jaejoong looked up at Yunho will half-lidded eyes and a smile, "Baby will you talk to me now?" 

"You're going to get us both fired ." 

"I'm the boss. I get to do what I want." 

"It doesn't work like that."

"Yes it does. I get what I want." Jaejoong put his hands on Yunho's chest, and then his fingers began to slowly slither down Yunho’s abdomen. His fingers teased the top of Yunho’s belt and so he whispered seductively, "I want you. Right now baby." 

Yunho rolled his eyes and pushed him away with a heavy sigh.

Jaejoong pouted playfully. "Ugh, you're no fun. When will you get that giant crowbar out of your ? Doesn’t it hurt when you sit? I'm going to go play with Changminnieee." 


Yunho just ignored Jaejoong's presence as the latter continued on with his banter to gain attention. The pretty male huffed and exited the room in a rushed manner.

Jaejoong waltzed out into the main hallway, observing the architecture around him. It was quite interesting how they all ended up in their own separate ways. He closed his eyes and leaned against the cold linoleum walls slightly shuddering. Goosebumps went up and down his body. He glanced over at Siwon's sitting figure.

"Hey! Sitting duck, entertain me!" Jaejoong shouted.

But he seemed to be in deep thought. With a sigh, Jaejoong rolled his eyes and started to approach Changmin's office.

He stood outside of the door for a few brief seconds, thinking of the most disturbing things to say. Frankly, he felt bored. He sighed impatiently and decided to be polite instead of barging in.

"Changmin-ah?" He said in the most sweetest voice, knocking on the door twice. "It's Jaejoongie-hyung, are you busy?"

Silence accompanied him once again. No answer.

Jaejoong scrunched his face in annoyance and knocked again.

"Changminnieee, open the door, or I will fire you." Jaejoong playfully jibed playfully. 

He turned the door knob, realizing the door wasn't locked, he opened it just a crack and peeped inside like a burglar. Oddly enough Changmin wasn't sitting at his desk.

Raising his eyebrows in surprise, Jaejoong could've sworn that he didn't see the maknae leave his office the whole day. He decided to take the opportunity to take over his room briefly- curiosity overtook him and the desire to explore followed. He stepped inside the office. Ignoring the desk in the middle, he scouted out the location of the bathroom.

"Ah! There's my precious mirror!" His eyes sparkled and he quickly ran towards the reflective object enthusiastically and took out his cell phone.

After a few selcas he stretched out his limbs and walked out of the bathroom. He looked around the room with distaste. 

"Tsk, how boring. Yunho, I'm going to steal this child away from you, idiot. Such a hard working baby, he should be out there training with you. Instead, you keep him cooped up all day. He's going to wilt up like a flower. Jung Yunho you're a moron." He muttered angrily under his breath.

He scanned the room until his eyes fell towards the desk once again. From his peripherals he glanced towards the floor. Looking down he noticed a pair of boots slightly standing out from behind the desk. Jaejoong automatically felt that something was off and he cautiously approached the desk.

He pushed the chair out of the way. "Oh my god!" Jaejoong's eyes widened in shock. He found an unconscious body lying face down on the floor. Quickly he ran over to the limp body and turned him over. "Changmin-ah! Wake up! What's the matter!? Baby wake up!" Jaejoong gathered the maknae in his arms. Changmin was pale and there were dark circles beneath his eyes. He looked like he hasn't slept in weeks. His nose was bleeding. Jaejoong tried to wipe away the blood with the sleeve of his shirt, as he tried to lightly slap him to wake up. Checking his pulse, Jaejoong tried to lightly shake him awake. He took off his jacket and put it under the Changmin’s head and neck for support.

Then he bolted up from the floor and ran out of the office.

"Yah! Jung Yunho, yah! You piece of !" Jaejoong impatiently took off his left shoe and threw it at Yunho's office door, causing the window to smash into pieces and cause a disturbance.

Yunho opened the door, clearly annoyed. "What the hell!?"

"Call the damn doctor!"

"Why?"

"Changminnie is unconcious."

"What?" Yunho's eyes widened. "What happened?"

"I don't know, but once you call the doctor, come over here and help me and bring my shoe with you!"

Siwon watched what was unfolding in front of him and quickly ran to aid them. 


Changmin woke up not long after. They couldn’t find a general physician who could make house calls; instead the department psychiatrist came in with his health kit. They organized a makeshift hospital bed in Siwon's office since it was large enough and had a couch. The doctor briefly examined him and set up an IV treatment and an oxygen tank.

Jaejoong and Siwon stood outside of Siwon's office conversing about the health of the young man inside with the psychiatrist.

Meanwhile Yunho stood at a far off distance, his ears could still pick up on the conversation-especially when Jaejoong was yelling loud enough for him to hear it. 


"What's wrong with him? Is it because a certain SOMEONE is working him like a slave?" Jaejoong glared at Yunho, sending imaginary darts towards the back of his head.

The doctor chuckled. "Well, partially. He has an incredible loss of energy. It's not unusual. Yet, at his age this is fairly uncommon. Based upon his complexion he looks underfed and he needs more sleep. Do you know if we can reach his family members or close relatives by any chance so we can inform them? I’m afraid I can’t do much for him unless we have more to work with."


"I'll get right on that." Siwon replied.

The doctor continued. "Also, I'm a bit on guard with his health. I am going to need his past records for a proper diagnosis. He seems like a healthy boy. Everything about him is perfectly normal. Blood pressure is unfortunately extremely low. He would be considered dead under normal circumstances. I will take blood samples after you send me his records and insurance. At this point, if we don’t fix him right up, he might become comatose. I’m afraid I don’t like the condition he is in. Also, this isn’t something that has occurred in the short-term. So, as soon as you get his medical records, I can treat him and direct him towards one of my colleagues for treatment as well."

Yunho shoulders tensed and without asking any questions he quietly walked back to his office.

Jaejoong sighed and frowned. Worry clearly spread across his face. 

“This isn’t good. Thank you doctor. One of our uniforms will you back to your office.”

Siwon glanced in his boss’s direction, his eyebrows bunched together, deep in thought.

“Maybe we should take him to the hospital? Have them look after him over night.”

"Not just yet.” Jaejoong shook his head. Something else was going through his mind. “Siwon-ah, bring me my packages over- right this minute. We’ll have to start moving faster. Did they bring the suspect in for questioning?"

"They are on their way now,” Siwon glanced at his wrist watch. “Half-way between Seoul. They should be here in approximately three hours."

"Ok. Good. Prepare everything in the interrogation room. Also, inform Yunho about this. Have all the copies of the files on the Tenebris case been transferred over?"

"Yes, I took care of it. Do you know what team you're going to assemble yet? I would like to recommend some of my men."

Jaejoong gave a small chuckle and patted his companion on the back. "Oh, Siwon, you're so thoughtful. But, don't worry about that. I will assemble my own team...we need specially gifted people on this case-"

Siwon looked at him with a confused expression. "Uh..ok...a-as you say Sir."

Jaejoong looked up at Siwon with admiration. “Sometimes I wonder why I'm so lucky to have you. My perfect and trustworthy detective. Good things always happen to me lately."

Siwon smiled. "Maybe you were a good person in your former life."

Jaejoong smirked and cocked an eyebrow. "Actually, I think I was a beautiful and rich Princess." Then he winked playfully and went inside to check up on Changmin.




The younger man lay upon the couch with his eyes closed. He appeared to be serene and deep in sleep. Jaejoong approached him quietly and sat down beside him. He caressed the young man's face with the palm of his hand lovingly.

Changmin slowly opened his eyes to the foreign touch. "Jaejoong-ssi?"

Jaejoong smiled kindly and with warmth in his voice he spoke with his dongsaeng. "How are you feeling? Are you ok?"

Changmin nodded in reply.

The older man bit his lower lip. "Is Yunho being difficult? Be frank with me."

Changmin anxiously grabbed Jaejoong's hand. "No, of course not sir! This isn't because of him. It's just-"

Jaejoong patted him on the head. "Shh. Relax. Does this happen often, the loss of energy? Be honest with me. Or is it recent. When  I hired you, I made sure to check your resume personally. But you never sent us your medical forms."

Changmin turned his head, avoiding eye contact.

"Changmin-ah, be honest with me. I'm here to help you. I promise I won't tell anyone."

Suddenly a sound broke the eerie silence. Jaejoong's cell phone began to ring.

"Oh, excuse me for one minute!" Jaejoong apologized to Changmin, who looked in  his direction curiously.

"WHAT?" The older man replied into the cell phone with annoyance. "How in the hell did you learn to use my phone?...YOU WOULDN'T DARE!....Don't touch my accessories you damn ,  I will turn you into a scarf!...Oh REALLY?....You want to play that game!? Wait til I get home!"

Jaejoong pushed the end-call button with anger and glanced back at Changmin who was staring at him wide eyed.

"W-who was that?" Changmin asked hesitantly. 

Jaejoong sniffed and replied casually, "Oh, my cat." As if it were nothing special. Then he rolled his eyes, "Anyways what were we talking about? Ah, we have a psychiatrist who will be treating you for now, until we can get a professional general physician."

Changmin continued to look at him with a dumbfounded expression.

Jaejoong blinked. "What?"

 

 

 

CHUL

 

RIVER CHARON

 

 

 

.

.

.

.

...