Almost.

Almost.

 

 

 

 

 

She slowly appeared behind the doors. A smile appeared on his lips as he caught a glimpse of the beautiful woman behind that veil. Her black tresses locked in an elegant messy bun. Her face donned a light make up. She looked ethereal in that long white dress, slowly making her way towards the long aisle.

 

 

With every step she takes, his heart thumps louder against his chest. Twenty steps away…. Ten steps…. And then down to ten. For him, it was the slowest walk ever. He felt like the altar she’s walking on is the longest he’d ever seen.

 

 

As she stood in front of him, he realized how distance did no justice to her beauty. She looked ethereal from afar, but words could no longer describe how beautiful she really is as she stood in front of him. Beneath that veil is an angelic smile on her face. Her eyes he’d grown fond of looking at over the years twinkled with mirth.

 

 

For a split second, their eyes met and as cliché as it may be, he felt like his world had stopped spinning right at that moment. That smile on her face, he realized, is a lot more beautiful if trained on him. Nothing could describe that overwhelming feeling in his chest as their gazes met.

 

 

But as quick as bliss engulfed his entire being at that moment, it was immediately replaced by dread. The smile quickly dropped off his face and pain flashed through his eyes as her gaze shifted towards his side and she finally laid out her hands to her groom… the one she’ll vow to love forever in a few moments.. the one she’d spend the night with starting tonight.. the guy who cherished her when he himself refused to see the beauty that she has.. one of his friends, Kim Seyong.

 

 

The way her eyes lit up and her smile grew wider as he kissed her hand… he felt like the pang on his chest was doubled. The matching smiles on the soon-to-be-wed couple’s face are undeniable. And while it may hurt, he had to admit, they do look good together.. rather, perfect for each other.

 

 

As the ceremony started, his mind wandered down the memory lane..

 

 

 

 

“I’m sorry..” he knew he had to say it.

 

She wiped the tears on her eyes and forced a smile on her face, “For what?”

 

“For making you cry..” It was the only thing he said but he knew she understood it.

 

“There’s no need to say sorry, oppa. It’s not like you cheated on me.” She tried to laugh it off. “Besides, I’m not even your girlfriend.. Why  would you have to be guilty for dumping me?”

 

At that moment, there was a nagging thought on his mind. That someday.. somehow, he’s going to regret this day when he broke Joo Eunyoung’s heart and made her cry.. One day, he’d look back and see how stupid he’s been for hurting this wonderful woman... But at that moment, the only thing he could think of is another woman.. The woman he believed to be the one he loves..

 

 

 

 

And now, karma’s probably laughing at him and mocking him for not listening to that nagging voice on his mind that time. As he stood here right behind her.. so close yet still so far.. watching as the woman he fell in love in love with a second too late get married to the man who saw her the way he failed to do so before.

 

 

ALMOST.

 

 

If there’s any other word more tragic than death, it’s ‘almost’. Because once upon a time, her heart belonged to him… once upon a time, Cha Ha Kyeon-Joo Eunyoung almost became a reality.. if not for a moment of stupidity on his part.

 

 

It could have been him standing beside her today had he just waited for her and stood by his promise.

 

 

Had he not been too focused on another woman to see her…

 

 

Had he not been immature and stupid..

 

 

She could have been his-life time partner.. He could have been her groom.

 

 

“I now pronounce you husband and wife…”

 

 

He looked on as one of  his best friends slowly lifted the veil off her face and as the newly-wed couple sealed off their vows with a kiss. And as the guests greeted them, congratulating the now Mr & Mrs. Kim Seyong, a pang struck his heart.

 

 

Because once upon a time,

 

 

 

she could have been Mrs. Cha Ha Kyeon.

 

 

But now, she’s just....

 

 

...his almost bride.