Two Worlds Apart

Two Worlds Apart

 

He's doing it again, you thought as you watched the dark-haired boy stare out of the window, obviously more interested in the scenery than the Math lesson that was going on. You had just transferred to the celebrity stream of Horikoshi High School this year. Your agency had decided to make plans for you to debut soon and had you transferred into Horikoshi from your previous school to allow you to have more time for practice and preparation for your entrance to the entertainment world.

On your first day, you had met many people, celebrity and non-celebrity alike. They were all nice and friendly, welcoming you with open arms. And celebrity or not, they all had their unique talents each but the one that stood out the most to you was the really tall boy in your homeroom, Nakajima Yuto. That is of course other than the fact that he easily towered over the majority of the school population with his height. Sure, he wasn’t the best student ever- always joking around in class, not listening to the lesson and getting scolded and punished constantly, but for some reason, he shone brighter than any of the others you’ve seen.

"Now, who wants to help take pictures for the school yearbook?" your homeroom teacher had asked one day. Your class immediately quietened down. After a while, the silence was broken by a shout of a classmate. “I nominate Nakajima-kun!" The next moment, the class was full of murmurs and whispers of agreement. “Eh? Me?” you saw Yuto mouth to the classmate behind him. "Any objections?" the teacher called. "...None? Okay, Nakajima it is then!" And that was how you found out that Nakajima Yuto could do photography and was pretty good at it too.

Soon after, a friend told you about him. “So, he was part of Hey! Say! JUMP.” You nodded, interested to know more. You saw that group’s name appearing everywhere in Japan. You motioned for your friend to continue. “Part of Johnny’s Entertainment, he can sing, dance, play drums and even do horseback riding too! Their agency always produces hit groups, like Arashi! God, their boys are so handsome!” Your friend, a big fan of Johnny’s Entertainment, was so excited to enlighten you that it seemed like words were pouring out of like a waterfall. “As expected of a member of such a popular group…” you thought admiringly. He was so talented, so... perfect. He could literally be your Prince Charming who would sweep you off your feet and ride off with you into the sunset, as cheesy as that sounded.

But that was the problem. He was a member of a super popular group and could do so many things, while you were just a rookie in the entertainment world- a baby who had just taken her first little steps. He was as old as you but had way more experience than you did. He was so close, yet so far, as if he existed in a different world altogether.

Suddenly, the sound of his name cut off your train of thought. "And your answer is...?" the Math teacher asked expectantly. Yuto slowly rose up from his seat. "Uh...3?" "You aren't listening again, are you Nakajima?" the teacher chided. "Sorry..." he scratched the back of his head sheepishly, flashing a grin.

Then, it just hit you that you were just a few tables away from him. You were close enough to talk to him. Many girls were dying to get his attention, and you weren’t an exception. Many fans would die just to see him every day, to breathe the same air as him. But even for you, who was in the same class as he was, he still seemed so unreachable.  "For him to notice me, it's impossible...right?" And with that, you let your thoughts trail off, trying to block out Nakajima Yuto and concentrate on the lesson instead.