Day 2: Anger

Reflection

She wakes up with a dull throbbing in her head again. The first thing she does when she has come to her senses was to remember her dream. She dreamt that she wasn’t herself. Literally. She dreamt that she was running around town in her roommate’s body and was looking for hers. She remembers a kiss with a certain bartender and…Taeyeon.

Taeyeon’s face…she remembers it clearly. Sooyoung saw the flash of hurt quickly covered by anger in the other’s eyes when she mentions her own name. She remembers the confusion and a sinking feeling in her gut when Taeyeon said she doesn’t want to see Sooyoung ever again. Why? Why would she say that?

All this time, she keeps her eyes closed and hopes that it was just a dream- that when she opens her eyes, she will be herself, lying on her own bed with her stuffed pig at her side. Sooyoung isn’t a fan of fairytales- of magical beings and curses- but she feels something different about herself and she can’t help but think of her dream.

‘Hello self. This is me, Sooyoung, reminding you to kick Hyoyeon’s for making you watch that damned Lindsay Lohan movie. Ktnxbye’

But she does open her eyes eventually, her stomach is growling to be given attention and that is something Sooyoung can say no to. So she stretches her arms and legs out and rolls on her stomach. Her sheets smell surprisingly clean like they were fresh from laundry. She tries to remember when she last did some chores when her eyes fell upon a framed picture of a girl with a smile like that of an angel. She stares at it for quite a while when she realizes that she doesn’t keep a picture of that girl on her bedside table. No, not since…

And that’s when she scrambles off the bed to the nearest mirror and-

‘Holy ’

It’s like her dream-no- her NIGHTMARE became a reality when she touches her face but sees a reflection of Taeyeon doing so instead.

‘NO’ she screams inside her head because this can’t be happening. The first time seemed like a joke- a prank or curse some witch bestowed on her but this- this is not funny, especially when she feels things she shouldn’t be feeling.

Sooyoung still has a headache but it’s the strain in her eyes, the slight sniffs that she makes and the itchiness in that make her feel weak. She takes a good look of herself in the mirror and realizes that her eyes are puffy and her nose is red.

She had been crying.

Taeyeon had been crying.

And Sooyoung recalls the image of Taeyeon from the previous day. The small girl had tears pooling in her eyes just as she was about to leave.

Why did Taeyeon cry? What happened?

And as if Taeyeon’s body reads Sooyoung’s thoughts, flashes of the girl with the smile of angel fills her- images of the girl smiling, dancing, dancing and…and kissing someone…someone that’s not Taeyeon.

‘It’s-‘

Just then, her phone rang. Although Sooyoung wants to move and answer the damn phone, her body doesn’t move. She just hangs her head low, her fingers digging through her small palms. Sooyoung knows, Taeyeon is anticipating this call. Maybe the person on the other line has called many times. But why hasn’t Taeyeon answered those calls?

The phone beeps-signaling Taeyeon’s voicemail: ‘Hi, I’m quite busy right now so leave a message. I’ll try to get back at ya!’

“Hey…” Sooyoung felt Taeyeon’s body stiffen as the caller continued to talk, “It’s me. Can we talk? I’ve tried to contact you for days now.” She heard the caller’s voice tremble a bit “Please. Answer me.”

Sooyoung can feel Taeyeon’s chest constrict as she tries to control the sobs that threaten to spill out of . It hurts, physically and emotionally. But Taeyeon takes it all in and Sooyoung has no other choice but accept it too.

The call ends with the caller falling into soft cries and pleads of ‘talk to me’ but she ignores it all and makes her way to the kitchen to make herself a sandwich.

--

It was weird. The feeling is just too weird. She’s living. She’s alive and breathing. But not in her own body. She has to always remind herself that ‘I’m fine. Don’t panic.’ But how can she when everytime she sees her reflection, it was of another person.

The only thing good about this whole ordeal is that at least she knows this person whose body’s she’s occupying. She knows she’s safe. Although she doesn’t have full control of her body. It moves as if it already knows what to do, it thinks what it likes to think and Sooyoung just receives these thoughts in her own mind.

And Sooyoung can sense feelings and a mere body can’t have feelings. There has to be a driving force to keep the heart beating- and it’s not just blood. There has to be a soul. Is her soul trapped in Taeyeon’s body? But these are not her feelings for sure. So… Is Taeyeon’s soul somewhere in this body too?

---

Out of curiosity, she roams around in the quaint apartment, memories flashing in her head as she passes by familiar faces of Taeyeon’s family and their set of friends.

She and Taeyeon grew up with each other since the first day of middle school. Their friendship started over a pack of cookies. Taeyeon forgot her snacks at home and she was too shy to approach her classmates to share theirs. On the other side of the room, Sooyoung just finished a hearty meal that she and her older sister prepared.

It was by pure coincidence that Sooyoung can tell an empty stomach when she hears one and meets Taeyeon’s eyes formerly glued to her last packet of cookies. So the taller one crosses the room and sits next to the other

“Hey, I’m Sooyoung.” She offers a hand. The smaller one bites her lip, contemplating whether it’s a good idea to get involved with the most talkative student in class, but before she can reach out to the girl’s hand, the sweet snack is already in her grasp. “You can have it. I’m full anyway.” Sooyoung smiles just to make the other comfortable.

“T-thanks.” Taeyeon stutters, feeling a little intimidated but she smiles too, because she is sincerely thankful for the food.

“So…what’s your name?” Sooyoung has her chin on her palm now, watching the shorter take big bites. “Slow down. You might cho-”

Something gets stuck in Taeyeon’s throat and she finds herself bending over the table, coughing out what’s choking her.

Sooyoung is just laughing at her for a while before fetching a bottle of water from her bag and handing it to the other.

“Were you just going to let me die??” Taeyeon glares while heaving deep breaths of air. Sooyoung laughs louder this time. “Seriously, you find me choking to death that funny??”

“True friends laugh at each other’s mistakes before doing something about it.”

“And who says I’m your friend?”

“I gave you my cookie.” Sooyoung points to the pack for emphasis. “I don’t give my cookies to everyone.”

“Then take it back! I don’t need you or your stupid food.” Taeyeon huffs and turns around to look out the window.

Sooyoung frowns. She was only trying to be nice. “Fine.” She grabs her food and gets up. “You can starve to death for all I care.” But before she can take a step, she felt a slight tug on the hem of her blouse.

“I…I’m…fine. Okay. You’re my friend.” Taeyeon pulls the other down again and steals the cookies. “Thanks.”

Sooyoung looks over the other with a smug face. “Now what should I call you?”

“Taeyeon UNNIE. I know I’m older than you.”

Sooyoung ignores her and pats her head. “Taengoo~”

“can you not”

--

It wasn’t until college that the two parted ways. There was no drama because they know the other is just a bus ride away. They had different cliques and lives but they were still the same when they meet up. Nothing changed even as Taeyeon confessed to liking girls rather than boys.

Sooyoung laughs and Taeyeon waits- waits for her to say something that they’re alright, that they’re still friends.

But Sooyoung just laughs until it dies to a fit of giggles.

“Aren’t you going to do something about it?”

“Should I?”

“Sooyoung-”

“Look,” Sooyoung reaches over and holds her hands. “I’m not going to do something about it, because nothing’s wrong with it. Nothing’s wrong with you.” She smiles and pats the shorter’s head. “Just chill Taengoo. You’re alright.”

--

Amidst the years of separation in college, of missed birthdays and unanswered calls, they were still the same. They were still friends. Until Taeyeon’s girlfriend comes along.

She was sweet, beautiful and she has a smile of angel.

Taeyeon couldn’t believe she managed to win the heart of someone as perfect as-

The doorbell rings, and Taeyeon’s thoughts were cut off leaving Sooyoung a bit light-headed. Her mind feeds from the thoughts of Taeyeon and for her to abruptly stop these thoughts makes Sooyoung’s head spin.

“Hi.” The person from the door greets and Sooyoung tries to clear head because the voice sounded like…

“Tiffany, what are you doing here?” Taeyeon’s voice was cold and the pain in the other girl’s face snapped Sooyoung back to attention.

Wait. Taeyeon never talks like this to Tiffany.

“Listen…” Tiffany steps forward, reaching for Taeyeon’s hand but the latter backs away from the door and heads to her room. “Babe please…”

Suddenly, Taeyeon laughs and Sooyoung feels scared because she can feel so much anger in the girl’s heart.

“Don’t call me that”

“But-”

Taeyeon turns around and sends Tiffany a withering stare. “You think you could just come here and act like what happened is just a petty thing that we can shrug off and forget…huh?” she laughs again, loud and echoes within the walls of her apartment, but it sounds so empty.

“It’s not like that at all! I’m here to explain…just hear me out.” Tiffany pleads as she moves closer and Sooyoung wants to warn her to not move any closer because she can read Taeyeon’s thoughts of harming her. “It was a mistake! We were drunk and-” Taeyeon slaps the girl’s hand away as it reaches for her cheeks.

“And thank God for alcohol because it acts as a good excuse for our mistakes, right?” Taeyeon snaps. She throws her head back just to stop the tears in her eyes from flowing. “You KNOW she likes you! She has liked you since she met you! And now you-”

“It was nothing! She was over me a long time ago! You know that! And you also know she has Jessica already!” Sooyoung tenses as she hears the name. ‘What? Who has Jessica? What’s going on?’

“There! You said it yourself, she has Jessica! Then why would you ing eat out each other’s faces? And in public too! Do you guys really have no decency to-”

“Tae…” Tiffany gasps.

Sooyoung can feel the sting of the slap on Taeyeon’s left cheek and she wants to cry, because Taeyeon…she feels so broken.

“oh my…Taeyeon I am so sorry. I was just-” Tiffany’s crying now and she looks frightened, like she’s about to lose something important in her life.

And maybe she is.

“Get out.” Sooyoung knows that Taeyeon’s patience is running thin and in a while she might do something harsh. “Get the out and don’t come back ever again.” She sounds so calm but she’s anything but that.

Tiffany isn’t stupid. She knows Taeyeon too well. Sooyoung knows this so she’s more than relieved when Tiffany backs away and walks towards the door. “I was looking for Sooyoung for days now.” Taeyeon stiffened. And before Tiffany closes the door, she says something that shocks Sooyoung to the core.

“I’m sure Sooyoung didn’t mean to kiss me too.”

--

It’s been what? Two hours? Four hours? Since Tiffany left. And Taeyeon still haven’t gotten out of her position on the carpeted floor. Sooyoung felt her body drain of off all power when Taeyeon falls unto her knees and cries.

There was too much to process. Too many things that needs answers. Sooyoung knows that Taeyeon mainly wants to know why? Why did they do that to her? And Sooyoung would answer if she can-if she even remembers what happened- just so that Taeyeon won’t feel this broken.

On the other hand, Sooyoung wants to know everything. What the is going on? What is happening to her? What happened to her and Tiffany? Where’s Jessica?

And she intends to answer all of this. And she’ll start tomorrow. With the turn of events this day, she doubts that this is just a dream. The pain and agony is so raw that she can almost feel Taeyeon’s heart bleed literally.  

So she makes a mental note to herself that she needs to call Jessica tomorrow before Taeyeon’s thoughts about emptying beer and soju bottles for the rest of the day stuffs her head. 

A/N: Don't worry, I'm confused too. :( anyway, sorry for late updates. I have a personal goal of writing at least 2k per chapter and gdi it's hard if you have so many things to do. so basically when Sooyoung is inside another body she: Doesn't have full control of it- the actions, words and feelings. If the body does, says or feels something that Sooyoung wants, then the owner of that body probably wants the same thing too. Do you guys get it? :)) Thanks so much for reading! comments are really really really appreciated. :)