Prologue

Darkness 367

April 12th was the start of the end. The last young couple left in the village had given birth to a beautiful baby boy. They couldn’t deny that it was a slight disappointment. For over twenty years all the children born had been males. The female population had dwindled down slowly to where they were on April 12th. The infant’s mother was the last female in their village. Everyone was on edge and hoping for a girl to replenish the gender. But a child was a child; another one to add to their small population.

Sickness had struck in the decade before the last child was born. A disease that infected nearly the whole village. All the elders passed away from the lack of medicine and proper prevention. Only the few young couples survived, their immune systems and strength giving them the power to overcome the illness. Soon though, even they passed. Various things contributed to their deaths. With their homes residing in the forest, many animals could sneak up on them. While still young and agile, they couldn’t protect themselves from everything.

When the child turned five, his mother passed away. Without any doctors or any kind of medicine, there was nothing to prevent illness. No one knew why she passed but her husband said she didn’t feel any pain. Only a few months later and his father passed away as well. When he turned thirteen, there were only the children left.

The eldest boy was three years older than the youngest one. At the young age of fifteen, he had to take control and play leader to the five other boys. It was difficult. Sometimes almost too difficult for him to handle. But luckily he had been playing leader since the last young couple passed away, for the elders weren’t able to do the harsh hunting and things they needed to do in order to survive. They weren’t strong enough to last out of the homes for long.

All five boys were close in age, making it easy for them to help each other. They had the similar strength and one of them wasn’t outshining the other. They were able to bring a routine into their days to make sure everything got done that needed to. Managing life for only six people wasn’t as hard as they thought it would be. A lot easier than the hundreds of people that were within the village years before them.

The eldest one was named Suho; a name given to him by his elder parents for protecting them and the children left. Next came Baekhyun, he was a year younger than Suho himself. Then was Chanyeol followed by Kyungsoo. Chanyeol was in charge of making sure everyone was happy. It was stressful and overwhelming most of the time to be alone without any parents, especially because they were son young. Then came the two youngest; Kai and Sehun. They were the only people left.

Over the next few years they grew tremendously. When Kai and Sehun turned sixteen they started their training. At the age of sixteen was when all people begun preparing themselves for adulthood and the responsibilities. It had been that way for hundreds of years. They had to learn to protect their families and themselves. Before that age, they were forbidden from leaving the village without an elder.

Suho had to do his training alone. It was custom for the elders to help them prepare. With none of them left it meant he had to learn on his own and fast. He would train day after day for hours at a time. He was the oldest and had five other underaged children to look after. He was their only hope. Kai had suggested them to start their trainings early to help him. Suho protested quickly for their bodies weren’t ready. He also wanted to keep tradition.

The day when Sehun and Kai turned sixteen was a big step. They had watched the others grow and were overly excited to have their own roles in the small family they had. With Suho well trained, he was given the role to teach them. The others helped as well, serving as look outs and preparing the home while they were out training. Baekhyun usually complained about doing house work, saying he would much rather be helping train the youngest. He didn’t have much of a choice however. No matter how annoyed they were at their roles, none of them dared to disobey Suho.

Suho took them out into the wide field that was only a bit away from their home. He had trained there for it provided open space and a decent amount of ground to accommodate whatever they were doing. Both of the young boys were restless and wanted to get started right away. Suho had other plans though. He knew they needed to take their time and train properly.

“You two will be responsible or I will take you back. Do you understand?”

Both of the boys nodded and exchanged smiles at each other. While Kai was a few months older than Sehun, the group decided to wait until Sehun turned sixteen so they could train together. It was easier that way, at least it was for Suho.

“Did you bring your rings?”

Sehun brought his hand up and wiggled it at the elder boy, Kai soon following after. Suho nodded and flashed them a smile.

Symbols were important to them. The ones they had were gifted by their grandparents. They held their power. Some of them were in forms of rings. There were others in belt buckles, pins, bracelets, any kind of jewelry. It was necessary for them to have them with them or they could not perform. There were no replacements either. Powers were determined by their ancestors. Whatever power they held was what power their whole family possessed until they died out. Each family in the village had a specific power that none of the others had. There was never two families with overlapping powers.

Suho’s family had been gifted with water. His family was one of the most treasured in the village. Most of the water sources near them had dried up and Suho’s power often kept them alive. Baekhyun’s family was gifted with the power to create light. Without electricity it was hard to do many things in the dark so Baekhyun’s power kept them safe. Chanyeol’s family was gifted with fire. Sehun’s had been given wind. Kyungsoo’s gifted with the power to manipulate earth. Then there was Kai. He was the most powerful in terms of powers. The power of teleportation.

No one particularly talked about how powerful Kai could become. They didn’t want him to take advantage of it. The rest of the boys had elements; things that could provide the things to survive. But Kai was different.

“I know you’re excited but please listen to me and take it slow.”

They did as Suho asked of them. Sehun was first. He was asked to make wind blow at Suho. But just like a child first learning to walk, things didn’t go well the first time. Nothing happened at all. That was how it normally was. To get their powers up to where they needed to be it would take almost a full year, maybe more. By the end of the night, Sehun had successfully fluttered a piece of Suho’s hair. It wasn’t much but it was a start.

Kai however was difficult to train. Suho only knew how to train elemental powers for they were rumored to feel the same. He tried his best to teach Kai. He made progress, though. He had disappeared for a flicker of a second; almost if he had blinked.

Everything was moving slow. Suho had just gotten full control of his powers and Baekhyun wasn’t far behind. The other four had several more months and years to go until they were ready. They were determined to become masters. They wanted to create a new world and rebuild everything they had lost.

 

 


a/n: horray for lame prologue~! i'm extremely excited for this fic; i've been planning it since I first came here so it's my precious baby right now. I hope it gets all of you excited and waiting for the next chapter~