Departed- Final

Departed

 

Kyuhyun remembers her smell. She smelled of cherries mixed with vanilla. He was never sure if it was the perfume she used, the body spray, or the hair wash but something about that smell made her unique. He used to smell her hair when he hugged her and she'd tell him it was creepy but he'd laugh and say she loved it really. She denied it. 
 
As he sits in his girlfriend's room, hearing her mother crying downstairs and her father trying to comfort his distraught wife, he looks around the familiar environment. It pains him. 
 
There are pictures of him and his group, which embarrassed him before (and he told her often) but now they just make him want to cry. There are a few items of clothing on the bed, which she'll never put away. There is her calendar, where tomorrow's date is circled with "Super Show 5- Kyuhyun, FIGHTING!!" in red. She'll never attend and Kyuhyun will never sing on stage again, because he can't bear the thought of not seeing her smiling along with him. 
 
And on her dresser, Kyuhyun's eye catches something that really does make him start to cry. Cherry body spray. 
 
His sobs are not as loud as her mother's, but he buries his head in his hands and lets his body shake with the sobs - knowing that she's never coming back. Not now, not next week or next month - never. She'll never see him again. At least, not on Earth. And Kyuhyun believed in Heaven. 
 
"She died on impact. She didn't feel any pain."
 
The doctor's words repeated in his brain. They didn't help, though he was sure they were meant to. She was dead, and it didn't matter if it was a quick death or a slow death, she was still never coming back. The truck driver had been drunk and smashed into Her car. 
 
She was going to see him. 
 
He tried not to blame himself, he really did, but it was too hard not to. Her mother and father both said that it wasn't his fault - they blamed the drunk driver, not Kyuhyun. But Kyuhyun couldn't help it. He called her, asking her if she wanted to come over. It was his fault. 
 
As he sits in his girlfriend's room, his cries mingling with her mother's, he realizes that he never got the chance to tell Her he loved Her.