Enrollment

Running High

The girl hopped out of the car. She scanned the yard of the school from outside the school. Bushes lined the stone pathway towards the doors of a large white and cream building, and the pathway curved around a large fountain. There was a statue, a man, that held a vase above the fountain, pouring water into it. She looked around, taking in the other parts of the yard, but the yard was large, and she couldn't exactly see the other details through the bars and wall of the fence. Hesitantly, Ji Hyo walked into the school's compound.

Ji Hyo walked slowly, looking at the scene that looked like it was from a painting. She listened to the birds and the sound of water from the fountain. Suddenly, she heard running behind her and as a reaction, she turned to look.

It was a short, smart looking glasses boy. He looked like he was about to die, just by running a short distance. Then he stopped and stared right at Ji Hyo, with a shocked expression.

Ji Hyo looked around, wondering what he was shocked at.

"Isn't this a boy's school?" he mumbled, pointing at Ji Hyo.

"Yeah," she replied, feeling uneasy.

"But you're a girl," he said.

Ji Hyo was stunned for a while, although she easily recovered. "No, I'm not."

"Oh please, I know a girl when I see one," he smiled. "Hah, my mom thought she could take me away from the land of girls."

Ji Hyo panicked. "I'm male. Fully male. Born male."

"Yah, you're too pretty to be a guy."

Coincidentally, a pretty person walked through the gates of the school.

"If I was a girl, that guy is too," she said, pointing at the person who had just arrived casually. The short boy turned towards the pointed direction and his shoulders dropped.

"Ah, mianhe," he apologised silently, looking at the ground. Suddenly, his face lit up. "Well, since we're already talking and all, let's go enroll together! I'm Ha Dong Hoon, but you may call me HaHa!"

"My name's Song Ji-" she paused for a moment, then continued. "My name is Song Ji Hoon."

"Let's get along, Song Ji Hoon-ssi!" HaHa said cheerfully and held out his hand. "Ah, no. I should call you Ji Hoon." Ji Hyo took the short boy's hand and shook it hesitantly.

"Yeah, let's get along, HaHa-ssi," she replied.

"Yah, call me HaHa!" he protested.

Ji Hyo whimpered in her mind. She did not like the attention he was giving her. She had expected a silent and peaceful year. The short male placed his arms on her shoulder and together, they walked into the building.

* * *

"Hello, and welcome to Running High," a short, but stern looking man on the stage said. They were all ushered to the school's hall for the introduction to Running High. The man continued. "I am Go Dong Wan, the principal of this school. I'm here today to test whether you are worth being in this school, and whether you're good enough to earn a scholarship for free tuition, food and stay." Ji Hyo fidgetted uneasily at the next sentence. It seemed to be directed at her, and only her. "As you all know, this is an all-boys school, and there will be no girls here. If a girl is found in this school, in here right now, they are to be disqualified or expelled immediately." He talked for several more minutes, then the people applauded him, and left for the first entrance exam.

* * *

Ji Hyo sighed after the first exam. She hadn't expected it to be as hard as it was. It would've been a miracle to get a scholarship. She hoped the athletics exam would help her. She turned to look at HaHa, and he looked like he was half-dead. The boy spotted her and immediately jogged to her side.

"Yah, the test was really hard," he whimpered. "Was it easy for you? Ah, I've got a headache now!"

Ji Hyo didn't answer. She just stared ahead as they walked together to the track.

* * *

The girl looked around whilst she stretched on the track. She was going to be racing with five idol-looking boys, and it took her a lot not to be all fan-girl. She spotted a muscular person in the benches with his arms crossed. He was watching the runners with hawk-like eyes. She gulped, feeling pressurised all of a sudden.

"Ready?" Dong Wan Principal said. "On your mark..."

Ji Hyo breathed out as she looked ahead and went to ready position.

"Go!" he announced, shooting the starter gun.

Ji Hyo ran as fast as she could. Only two hundred metres. No big deal. She started as third, then she went fourth. She pushed herself harder.

"Go, Ji Hoon!" she heard the childish voice of HaHa. "You rock!"

Ji Hyo couldn't help but smile. She overtook the person who outdid her before, then the person in third. She ran closely behind the first place runner.

"Beat him, Ji Hoon!" he cheered. "Don't lose! You can do it!"

Ji Hyo closed her eyes, and tried going faster. When she opened them, she saw that she was still second place. Ji Hyo gave HaHa an apologetic look.

"You did well, Song Ji Hoon!" the short boy clapped, grinning. Ji Hyo was glad he wasn't disappointed.

She snuck a look up at the muscular man at the benches. He was talking to someone, probably a teacher, while he wrote something down. She stared for a  while, until he looked at her. Quickly she walked to the side next to HaHa. She felt somewhat comfortable next to him.

"That guy looks like a giraffe," HaHa laughed randomly. Ji Hyo looked at the tracks and immediately spotted the person he was talking about. She giggled.

"He does," she smiled. HaHa stared at her.

"Yah, are you sure you're not a girl?" he said, his eyes wide like a puppy. Ji Hyo, who was staring at the giraffe person, shot HaHa a glare. HaHa instantly understood and watched the race. They watched as the long-legged giraffe easily overtook the others and ran at full speed. In the end, he got first, due to his long legs and determination.

"He's fast," Ji Hyo mused. She stared at the second-placer, a guy with a peaceful look and a cap. He looked blankly around, walked in a circle, then walked to the side, embarassed. The girl chuckled.

* * *

The entrance exams ended and everyone walked towards the gates. Before they left, they hung around at the front yard, exchanging numbers with their new friends.

"What's your number?" HaHa grinned. She stared at him blankly for a few seconds, then noting that he quite resembled a penguin. The boy repeated his question.

"Wha-" Ji Hyo glared at the boy. The nerve! Asking a girl for her number on the first day they met. Then she remembered. "Oh, ermm.. My number is..." she told her his number.

HaHa typed in the numbers as she said them, then stared at her. It was odd, how she first hesitated when she was telling him her name, and now while giving him her number. She was suspicious. He quickly shrugged it off before he got in trouble again.

"Ah, my ride's here," HaHa smiled. "Do you need a lift?"

Ji Hyo shook her head. "I can take a cab."

"Are you sure?" HaHa continued. "Are you uncomfortable with it?"

"It's not that I'm uncomfortable," she muttered. "I don't want to trouble you."

HaHa tilted his head backwards while staring at her with a frustrated expression. "Come on, it's not a big deal."

Ji Hyo sighed. She knew he would continue asking, and she didn't bother standing her ground any longer. She followed the penguin boy towards a black luxury sedan. Ji Hyo stared at it, surprised.

"This," he said, "Is my ride."

"Daebak..." she breathed, grinning. "Really, daebak!"

"Of course," HaHa smirked. "I'm Ha Dong Hoon."

Ji Hyo smirked back, then slipped in without a second thought after HaHa.

"Now tell the driver where you live."

* * *

"Thanks for dropping me off, HaHa," she said, getting out of the comfortable sedan.

"Don't mention it," the boy laughed. "See you later, Ji Hoon. And that hair of yours. Really makes you look more and more like a girl."

Ji Hyo looked blankly at him, before looking at her shoulder-lengthed hair. "Ah, okay." She walked backwards from the car, smiling and waving. "Annyeong~"

"Annyeong~" he waved back, grinning. The window was wound up, and Ji Hyo watched the car go.

When the black car was out of sight, she went up to her apartment and fell on to her bed. She checked her watch, seeing that it was 6.30pm already. She got up again and made herself instant noodles to eat for dinner again.


Hurlo. ;D; I'm glad that you took your time to read this. Yah, I think I messed up bad on their personalities. xD OH WELL.
Anyway, Ji Hyo's male name [Ji Hoon]. I just went to google and typed Korean male names starting with Ji. And there, Ji Hoon. It suited with Song so I just went along with it. |D
And the welcome speech thing was short caz my school was just, hand in the grades from the other old school I was from and then bam, done. So... Yeah. xD

Well, I hope you enjoyed it. ^^ Comments and feedback would be appreciated. c:

8/5/2013 - Just a little bit of change. Not a lot, because I'm not sure what should change. xD Just changed the one part I was irked by. ^u^