It's not the end of the world

That Step: Notebooks and Paper Lanterns

 

Sunhi stepped in, closed the door behind her, rested her head and back against it, and slide down. He’s so nice! He’s just so… so… OK I’m gonna say it – y. And he probably doesn’t acknowledge it himself. “And I’m gonna see you tomorrow again.” She smirked and got up.

The evening had gone on. Sunhi danced around her room. She was as happy as she ever could be. All she could think about was Aron: his shy smile, the way he scratched his head or touched his ear when he got nervous, the way he adjusted his glasses whenever he wanted to look serious, the way he walked, the way he zoned off a few times when he forgot himself in the moment of looking at something. He was just so... so... mysterious to be honest. What was he thinking about when he zoned off? Did he like being in Sunhi's company?

Sunhi stopped for a moment and looked into the mirror. She stepped closer to it and observed her face, she took a hard look at her features. Was it just my own enthusiasm or did he really actually want to spend his afternoon with me? What if I was too pushy? Maybe he doesn't want to... maybe he doesn't want to be with me the day after tomorrow anymore. Maybe he was just being nice. Was he just pretending? 

Sunhi can't be blamed. Everyone wants to be loved and these moments of uncertainty are expected. One should ask oneself in some point: is the other really meaning it all or are they just being nice? Am I too pushy? Maybe the other needs some time and space for themselves? But one must remember that good things don't come easy - we have to work for the things we want, for the good things, for love, for happiness. If not for ourselves then to make others happy the way we would like ourselves to be.

I can’t hold myself back all the time! I’ll die as a spinster with hundreds of cats if I… if I don’t go out there and don’t  participate!  Yeah…that’s right. If I hadn’t kept the conversation going he would had run away and I might had never seen him again… though it really was the biggest and boldest thing I’ve ever done in my life. But it’s a good thing I did!

 

There was a knock on the door.

"Honey? Honey, can I come in?" a woman asked peeking from behind the door.

Sunhi turned to look at the source of the voice. "Oh. Sure, mom. - What's up?"

Sunhi's mother took a seat on her daughter's bed. Sunhi followed her mother's actions and sat by her desk. Whenever mom sits down like this... something's wrong... Wait! Did she see me with... Aron? For real this time? Please tell me that's it's not like that! Please! The girl was mentally screaming and her stomach was making somersaults. She was nervous for sure.

"I thought I saw you in a young man's company this afternoon. Is it true?"

Sunhi gulped and her eyes widened. Someone save me! DAD, walk in here! Like… right now! Like you usually do… at the most unwanted time…please? The girl’s thoughts rushed through her head faster than… than the last time she thought this fast. I need to get this right… Come on… Think!

"He's only a friend. Nothing more. If you don't want me to see him ever again then fine. I'll-" Sunhi speed-talked but her mother stopped her rant.

Her mother had raised her hands to signal the girl to be quiet for a moment. As surprising as it seemed to Sunhi her mother was smiling, she wasn't mad at all - total opposite to what Sunhi had expected.

“No-no-no. You don't have to. It's OK, I'm not mad. I understand you.”

“Oh”, Sunhi settled down, “OK~... uhh... why?”

“What do you mean with 'why'? Do you want me to be mad at you?”

“No...” the girl mumbled, excitement growing up in her. Are they really OK with this? I... I can't believe it.

“See. And there's no point to be mad at you because you're going to get married one day anyway and you can't do that if you can't go dating.” Sunhi's mother said smiling, “Come here.”

Sunhi jumped into her mother's arm and hugged her tightly. She was so happy and so relieved that she thought she could cry or laugh or do both. To be honest she didn't know how to feel.

Sunhi's mother her daughter's hair and went on: “It really is a bit sudden, but you're old enough. To tell you the truth we just had this talk with your dad a few days ago,” she laughed, “and we decided not to be against you if you find a decent boy. And it seems that you have.”

“Mhmh. He's really nice. You should see how shy he gets around me...”

“And you're saying that he doesn't have the same impact on you?”

“He-he does...” Sunhi giggled hiding her red face in her hands.

 

***

For two whole weeks the two – Sunhi and Aron – met up with each other every other day. They spent time in the Paper Lantern, had walks in the park, fed the ducks by the river. They spent every free moment they had together. As unusual as it may seem they didn’t feel that it was weird that they, two youngsters who had just met, got together as often as in love couples would. They were just enjoying each other’s company. And why wouldn’t they? They had things to talk about and places to go.

***

 

„Someone's glowing today.”

„Huh?”

„You've been smiling to yourself for the whole evening. Knowing you you're either gassy or you're actually happy which rarely happens so I guess...” AJ trailed off making an innocent face.

Aron's smile dropped and his expression turned serious. He furrowed his brows at the other and looked up from behind them.

„OK-OK.” AJ raised his hands in defeat, “I get it... So... Do you think that she's the one?” the older asked plopping down on his bed.

„I don't know... honestly,” Aron shrugged and put his hands behind his head. He took a big breath and let it all out again. „How do you know when you're in love?”

AJ, who had been rocking back and forth with his chair, almost fell over. „Well... uhh...” This has never been the best chat-topic for me...

„Oh, c'mon! How did you know?” Aron asked sitting up and looking at the other.

„You can't stop thinking about her, I guess.” AJ shrugged, “and even if you find some weird tweaks she has you accept them and won't be mad at her when she does something you don't like or when she doesn't share your opinion you're willing to let go of your initial plan and just go with hers.”

Aron nodded taking it all in. „That makes sense. Thanks, man.”

„You're welcome. - So are you going to tell her?”

„Yup. Tomorrow will be the day.”

„Wow, you're fast.”

„Is it too soon?”

„I don't know. You know the best yourself. - But how are you going to tell her? Do you have anything special in mind?”

„Kind of...”

***

Sunhi sat by the window in the Paper Lantern. This table here was her favorite spot on the entire restaurant. One could see basically everything from here: the people on the streets, obviously, but also the majority of the hall, where the mesmerizing aromas of the delicious food filled the air and lungs.

She tried to keep herself from staring at the people for too long so that wouldn't get uncomfortable when noticing their silent observer. To be honest the girl had no bad intentions whatsoever, but you may never know when someone's paranoid maniac subconsciousness kicks in.

In the middle of her secret observing Sunhi thought that she might have seen a familiar figure standing by the bar. She raised her eyes. Yes, there he was – Aron bowing to the cashier lady and lifting the tray with his ordered dishes on it. Sunhi hoped that maybe the boy looks her way and she could waive to him and call him to join her, but Aron didn't give that chance to her even not for a split of a second.

Sunhi's heart had already beating in such a speed that it could power an entire city if connected to a power-generator. It was all because she merely saw the boy. Maybe I should go and say 'hi'? But maybe he's with someone... She looked after the boy to see where he will choose to sit. He really was with someone, a girl. Well, isn't that just perfect. Don't jump to rushed conclusions now!

The girl got up and slowly moved towards the bar. The was seated near the bar and also near the door, in the left side of aisle leading to the door, to be more exact. She thought that maybe Aron would notice her if she passed by.

To Sunhi's disgrace Aron was fully absorbed in the chat with his partner that he didn't pay any attention to his surroundings. In this case Sunhi was just an object in the background, like a lamp or a table or a crumb on the floor – nothing significant.

When Sunhi walked past the may-be couple she heard Aron say to the girl in his company: “You know, that's what I like about you – you know me too well... And that's why I love you.”

The girl laughed in response and said: “Oh, stop it you. Is this how koalas flirt?”

Shouldn't Sunhi jump to the conclusion now? Yes? No? Well, she did. After hearing this little piece of the conversation she rushed out of the Paper Lantern attracting people's attention in the process, because the door didn't open as easily as she had expected. Why now?!  She had to have a mini-fight with the handle pulling it as hard as anatomically possible for a girl of her build. And it that wasn't enough of embarrassment for one day then tripping and nearly falling over the doorstep really passed all of her expectations.

With all of this noise and electrical currents of disturbed peace going on around Aron turned around to see what in the world was going on. A jolt of excitement ran through his body when he recognized that the girl causing this was no other than his little and utterly adorable Sunhi.

“What is she doing here?” he asked himself as he stood up.

“Where are you going?” the girl got a little irritated by Aron's actions.

“To-to say 'hi'... I guess...”

“Aron, what are you... Sit down!”

The boy obeyed though the thing he would have preferred was running after Sunhi. Just by simply thinking of the girl got him tingly all over and others have said that he has been acting weird lately. Sure smiling and chuckling to himself with no reason can be called weird.

“She just saw you in a company of another girl...”

“Then I must go right away.”

“What? No!... What are you going to say to her? 'It's not what it looks like'?”

“Exactly. I will say that. I need to go!” Aron said getting up once again.

“Sit down, boy!” the girl ordered sternly. “Like you said: I know you well. And I know that you're going to stutter and mess everything up. You really in such things.”

“But she misunderstood! If I knew she was here...” Aron let his shoulders drop and looked down.

“I know... I know... “

“What if after this she doesn't want to see me ever again?”

“Then she doesn't really love you. I know this is a hard way to find that out... but it will hurt anyway... if... you know...”

“Yeah...”

“It's not the end of the world.”

***

“It's not the end of the world.”

“Huh?” Sunhi raised her head to see who had addressed her. “Oh,” she sniffled, “AJ, it's you... Wha-what brings you here?” she asked wiping her tears away with the back of her hand.

“No-no-no. Don't use your hand! - Take this,” the young man said offering a paper handkerchief to the girl, “here. It will get worse if you use your hand...”

Sunhi nodded, took the tissue and began cleaning up her tear-stained face. “H-how come you're so kind?...”

“Hmh... Let me guess, “AJ started taking a seat next to Sunhi, “you saw Aron with another girl.”

Sunhi nodded again and blew her nose.

“Right~... And now you came here to cry because you think that he's double-timing you.” he finished taking out his phone.

“I don't know what to think,” Sunhi said in a shaky voice.

“Of course...” AJ said typing a message to someone and sending it. Putting the phone back into his pocket he continued: “But what if I tell you that that girl was his sister and my girlfriend?... Well, soon-to-be fiancé actually...”

“Who? What?”

“My sentences were too long...” AJ mumbled to himself. “What I said was: Aron didn't cheat on you. The girl you saw was his sister.” the young man said very slowly so that Sunhi's little overheated brain could keep up.

Sunhi nodded – she got the message. Her expression was unreadable, she didn't move a muscle. She just stared into the void thinking about... Aron, obviously... but who knows...

“I...” she started, “I should go back!” she exclaimed and got up so hastily that AJ almost fell off the bench.

“Calm down now, Julia. Your Romeo is on his way here already. I sent him a message. So sit back and relax.” the man said getting up. “See you around.”

“See you... Thank you.”

“You're welcome.”

Ah! How do I look?... I'm probably like a train-wreck right now.... Oh, the glory!

***

Aron drew in a big and fastened his pace. In a few moments he'll sit beside Sunhi on that bench. He'll clear up this mess, he'll say that he's sorry, he'll say that he has never thought of looking at other girls since he met Sunhi. He'll say...

“Hi...”

“Hi...” Sunhi nodded and looked how Aron took a seat next to her.

So Aron will say...

Aron will not say, because he's nervous, because his head isn't functioning properly, because his heart is about to jump out from his temples!

Sunhi waited patiently as Aron pulled himself together bit by bit, word by word. Maybe she was even more nervous than him. AJ never said... but he had showed it... has he really?

“I... uhh... the girl... yo-you saw... she was my sister,” Aron started peeking at Sunhi. As he saw that the girl have him an encouraging nod he went on feeling more confident: “I'm sorry. I should have told you. Please, don't be mad.”

“I'm not,” Sunhi smiled and rest her head on the boy's shoulder, to his surprise, “you need your freedom. I don't need to know where you are every second of the day. And how were you supposed to know that I was there?”

Aron smiled wider than ever. “You know... I had planned to tell you something today...” he said putting his arm around Sunhi's shoulders.

“Mmmh?”

The boy leaned in and whispered into the girl's ears: “I want to be with you forever.”

***

 

“Darling, please. Honey-honey-honey, don't run. You'll trip! Watch your step!” a young man tried hard to tame his little twin daughters, who were running up the stairs.

“Sweeties, please.” the man's wife helped him, “Listen to your father.”

The children stopped fooling around right that instant – mummy's words were mummy's words –  and went up the stairs like decent 5-year-olds they were.

“You always know what to say, Sunhi, my dear...” the man said putting his arm around his dear wife's waist.

“I always say the same thing... Aron-dear...” the lady laughed, “...oh! The baby's kicking!”

And like this the happy family walked up the stairs where just some counted years ago were only two of them... walking up the same way...

 


Aww... wasn't that just one of the sweetest things in the world...

Anyway: was is too long or was the lenght OK?

This thing should have been up in January... but as a 11th grade student it's not an easy task to write 4 stories at the same time and plus keep up with the school...