Prologue

Summer Circles

“Why do they have to ask me out on the same day, same time, even same place?” Yoona said with a sigh.

I rolled me eyes before taking the movie tickets from her. After glancing at them for a few seconds, I handed her the movie ticket to ‘The Seasons of Love’.

“A romantic gentleman to the core, and a lawyer as well. I’m sure Shim Changmin will be your perfect prince for the night.” I said as I continued to look at the other ticket for ‘The Promised Happiness’, “Although this Lu Han has quite some taste in choosing movies. This movie’s a masterpiece.”

Yoona sighed again before taking a sip from her drink, “He’s quite charming, indeed, and I quite enjoy his company, but Shim Changmin has been my target for the longest time already.”

I chuckled, “Well, just know that your whole life will change with this one decision. At least,” I showed her the horoscope section of the newspaper, “that’s what your horoscope says.”

“Chunhei, I don’t believe in things like that.” She moved a hand through her hair, “But Shim Changmin it is, then. Aish, what am I going to do with the other movie ticket?”

“Just tell him you can’t go,” I said matter-of-factly.

“That would be a waste of a wonderful movie date! Yah, Kwon Chunhei,” Her eyes glistered as she spoke, “why don’t you take this chance to meet some nice guy? I promise I won’t get angry if you two end up together. He’s a nice guy, really.”

I almost choked on my drink, eyes widening as I looked at her. She had to be kidding me.

“I’m not going to watch a movie with someone who expects a date with you, Yoona. I don’t want to disappoint the poor guy.”

“Ah, come on! He’s really handsome too! And you’ve been dying to see this movie! You do know that today’s the last day this movie will play, right? Don’t waste the ticket!”

I glanced at the ticket in my hand, hesitation filling me. Indeed, I had wanted to watch this movie, but it had been sold out so quickly. However, I could not just go watch this with someone who had been expecting a date with Yoona, right?

“It’s only a movie, Chunhei, you’re not going to marry him!”

I bit my lip, pondering about it for a little longer, before replying, “Alright then.”



It was pleasantly warm tonight, but that was to be expected from a beautiful summer day. I nervously smoothened the fabric of the t-shirt I was wearing, waiting patiently for Yoona’s date to show up. I really did not know why I had agreed onto this. I mean, this man wanted to have a date with Yoona, beautiful social butterfly Yoona, not her plain wallflower friend who had never ever had a date before. Compared to me, Yoona was a goddess, honestly. I was just the average kind of girl who handsome boys would not even notice normally. I sighed. I just hoped this Lu Han would not be too arrogant, unlike Yoona’s usual targets, and would not mind getting to know someone new. Maybe he would even think it would be good to make friends with Yoona’s friends. Not that it would change anything, for Yoona obviously did not see him as someone that would last for long in her life.

“He’s fairly tall, short honey blonde hair that slightly covers his eyes, and he looks quite cute. Actually, I don’t think you can actually miss him, but just in case, I’ll tell him to bring a rose with him.”

Rose, rose, rose
, I replayed inside my head as I looked around, before my eyes landed on a boy standing alone. He held onto a wine red rose wrapped in plastic, eyes roaming around as he waited patiently. My breath hitched when he looked my way, eyes locking for the moment.

He was beautiful.

He wore a white t-shirt with a thin black summer coat, his black jeans wrapped around his slender legs and fashionable shoes completing his outfit. Yoona sure knew how to get the good picks, as always. I slowly approached him, hesitation growing when he looked away. I should have never agreed onto this. I took a deep breath before tapping him gently on the shoulder, praying that this would end well.

He turned around swiftly, eyes glistering for a second before the excitement vanished, “Y-Yes?”

Disappointment. I never liked seeing it. It always felt as if the disappointment was directed to me and me only, which never was a pleasant feeling to have. I took a deep breath before smiling politely,

“I… I’m Yoona’s friend. She… She can’t come tonight, and she wanted me to tell you she’s sorry.” I hastily searched for the movie ticket in my jeans pockets before handing it to him, “She handed me the movie ticket, but I think it would be better to give it back to you.”

I was not going to watch the movie with him. It was not like I did not want to, but I really was not the kind of person to be watching a movie with someone like him. That would just be wishful thinking, foolish thinking.

“Is that so…” He said disappointedly, lowering the flower in his hand.

Panic filled me, “She’s really sorry! I, uh… Please don’t feel sad, it’s really not that she didn’t want to come.”

He looked into my eyes, and those beautiful pair of eyes were just so easily to drown into, a sad smile lingering on his lips, “She’s on a date with someone else, isn’t she?”

My eyes flickered in surprise. This boy… Was not as ignorant as I thought he would be.

“How…”

“Otherwise she would’ve called me, and she wouldn’t have sent her friend to accompany me today as a means of apologizing.”

I shook my head a little while chuckling, “You’re cleverer than I took you for.” My eyes widened as realization hit me of what I just said, “Not that you look stupid or anything!”

His soft laughter sounded heavenly, “It’s okay. It’s not that hard to figure out.”

He sighed as he took the two movie tickets, looking at it with a sad expression, “It’s a pity though. This movie’s a gem.”

He was about to tear the tickets, but I quickly stopped him, hasty fingers touching his hands, “Don’t waste them just like that! If you’re not going to watch it, then please give the tickets to me!”

Even though he had all the rights to tear those tickets, but it would have been such a waste. It would be such a regret to spill those tickets, money already spent and energy already used to come all the way here.

“You want to watch this movie?” He asked surprised.

I nodded a little, “Honestly, I had no intention on replacing Yoona tonight, but this is a movie I’ve been wanting to see for such a long time already, but never got the chance to. If you don’t want to watch, then please give me a ticket so I can. It’s a disgrace to tear these tickets, really…”

My head was lowered in embarrassment. I had no idea where I found the courage to speak like that all of a sudden against someone like him, but that same courage had slipped out of me already. I bit my lip harshly as I glanced at my slightly trembling hands.

“I’m sorry, I shouldn’t-”

I was cut off by the sudden appearance of the rose in my vision of sight, startling me. I slowly looked up to meet a pair of gentle eyes, handing me the flower together with a ticket.

“Seems I’ve met someone who shares the same interest in movies as me. I wonder if this person would want to like to watch this movie with a fool like me who almost threw away his only chance to watch this movie?”

My eyes widened in utmost surprise, even breathing had almost escaped me. This was not happening. Was this person really asking me to watch the movie with him? Me?

“You… Are you joking?”

His smile widened, “I take that as a yes then.”

And before I could even respond, he already took hold of my hand and dragged me into the movie theatre. My eyes lingered on his hand holding onto me, intently hoping that this dream would never, ever end.



And that was the start of our journey together. We started as friends with mutual interests, then went to being good friends, and then to lovers. It was like a dream coming true when he asked me to marry him, knelt down with a bouquet in his one hand and a ring in his other. His eyes had glistered as he spoke, the crowd had screamed enthusiastically. We got married, moved into an apartment, and decided to delay the honeymoon until we had more money to go on a world trip to Europe. It was a world with only the two of us, only the two of us.

It was a moment of pure bliss, before the storm came.


Short prologue for the story. From the next chapter onwards, it will focus on the marriage life of Kwon Chunhei and Lu Han :).