Prologue

A Bet Between Winds

 

Five year old Cho Kyuhyun carefully scanned the classroom for any students that might be watching him before sneakily painting a dot onto the smooth surface of his table. His small misdemeanor went unnoticed as the teacher droned on and on about pairs, and how winds like them would eventually find a light to wrap around. Mr. Choi, the teacher, was not exactly a fan of this particular unit. Every year when the subject was brought up, he would once again be reminded of his lack of a partner—after being teased by his parents at a special dinner the night before, or becoming the victim of playful banter at the bar with his friends. Finding their destined partner was an essential aspect of the completely male population of winds, but Kyuhyun could care less. He was intent on getting out of class to meet up with Changmin. They had made a bet on the way to school, saying that whoever could paint on his desk would gain bragging rights for an entire hour.

Suddenly, a few students started to point at a certain male sitting in the second row. Little bits of his hair were gradually turning into wind, a tell-tale sign that the boy was losing the concentration needed to stay in a tangible form. Kyuhyun purposely began to cough loudly, knowing that the sound would grate on Mr. Choi’s nerves.

The brush in Mr. Choi’s hand stopped as he turned around and yelled, “What imbecile is making that noise, and Lee Sungmin, wake up this instant!”

Sungmin, suddenly hearing his name, shocked himself into completely dissolving into wind and the class dissolved into a fit of laughter. He quickly reassembled himself, a crimson blush staining his cheeks.

“S-sorry Mr. Choi,” the cute little boy stammered out. “It will not happen again.”

Mr. Choi only sniffed in disdain as he turned his eyes to the rest of the class. “Whoever was coughing like that, do not try any more funny business!”

Kyuhyun grinned into his hand. This was just too precious. Class continued on with no more interruptions, until, just for fun, Kyuhyun let loose another cough right as the bell signaled the end of class.

Mayhem hit the classroom as every young boy in the room popped into a patch of wind. They all rushed out to yell and ram into friends, occasionally freezing a person here or there. Not a single thought was given to Mr. Choi, who was fuming once again because of the nerve of that student. Kyuhyun, oblivious to his teacher's fury, rushed out to meet Changmin.

“Hey! I drew on my desk!” they both yelled at the same time. It takes a few seconds before another shout of "void!" is heard. 

“Anyways,” Changmin starts, "I have an idea for the greatest bet we will every have in our entire long, long, long lives.” The boy in front of him just stares at him with a condescending look.

“A bet. Of our lifetimes. You sure you're smart enough to think of something like that?” Kyuhyun can’t help but let out a slight snicker. “Don’t you think you’re being a bit much?”

Changmin glares at him, and Kyuhyun starts snickering louder. “It is most definitely the bet of our lifetimes." He pauses a bit for the dramatic music playing in his head. "I suggest that we bet on our future partners.”

Any mirth is lost as Kyuhyun faces Changmin directly. To even think of such a thing was taboo, but to voice it out? One had to be wishing for death. Partners were not things to be joking about. However, the scandalous nature of the bet intrigued Kyuhyun. He gestured for Changmin to continue.

“I suggest that we make a bet that will be dependent on the intelligence of your partner. If you can keep her in the dark about your windiness for an entire year, you’ll get her. If not, I get her for five years with no limits.” Changmin’s eyes glow as he thinks about the possibilities.

Kyuhyun ponders the idea for a few seconds, before slowly saying, “Can we add on one thing?”

“Sure.”

“If she does find out, but we're truly in love by then, the bet is void—as long as the loser promises to be a subordinate for half a year.”

“Okay, that works,” Changmin nods at the idea. The prospect of having his best friend be his servant for even half a year was absolutely golden. 

“Oh! Also, this applies to your girl too.”

Changmin agrees to that as well. After all, it was only fair--not that the concept existed to him. His eyes light up with excitement as he says the anticipated words. “So, do we have a bet?” A small hand is stuck out in between the two of them. 

Kyuhyun hesitates for only a second before grabbing the hand offered. “Deal.”

 

--

a/n: I know about the grammar errors in here. However, I currently do not desire to beta it by myself.