Live High

[DRABBLE] The Guitar Story of Baekyeol

 

 

It was lunch time in EXO-K dorm. Everyone was there, except Byun Baekhyun and because EXO-K just had six members Kyungsoo could esily notice Baekhyun’s absence.

“Where’s Baek?” Kyungsoo asked as the other four members sat on the dining chairs, the three (including Chanyeol) shrugged in cluelessness. “Baekhyun Hyung is practicing guitar in our room.” Sehun, as the roommate of Baekhyun’s, said, “he practices guitar? Again? Hasn’t he gotten tired yet?” Kyungsoo rolled his eyes as his mind remembered yesterday’s event when Baekhyun tried to play guitar but ended up hurting the members’ ears.

“What song is he actually trying to play?” asked Jongin with an apparent annoyed expression, Kyungsoo shrugged, “The Live High song. Do you know? It’s the newest song of Jason Mraz, it’s supposed to be a good song but when Baekhyun hyung play it with his guitar... I don’t think so.” Sehun joked and the members laughed a little at it but not for too long because they quickly ate their lunch without caring about Baekhyun. If Baekhyun wanted to learn guitar, then they would let him do. But it wasn’t like that for Park Chanyeol.

_

I try to picture a girl, through a looking glass” Baekhyun sang the lyrics of Live High beautifully along with his crappy guitar instrumental, it didn’t mix well.

“Geez! Why it doesn’t sound good?!” Baekhyun sighed and scrolled down the google page to search the right chord for Jason Mraz’s Live High.

Baekhyun wasn’ so good in guitar. Give him microphone and piano, he’d give you a beautiful music concert but if you give him a guitar, he’d hurt your ear.

Baekhyun had no interest in guitar before, but it all changed when Park Chanyeol came into his life. Park Chanyeol, it was the most beautiful name Baekhyun had ever whispered in his dream (but maybe it was just because, it was the only name Baekhyun had ever whispered in his dream.). Park Chanyeol has no beautiful voice, his voice was average but give him any musical instrument, he’ll do everything well!

He was proud at his crush at first, but when he found at that Chanyeol liked his guitar more than any other instrument, it touched Baekhyun’s heart and moved it to learn how to play guitar.

Baekhyuneven bought a new guitar, but he was clueless about guitar so instead of getting his guitar set with nylon string which would be better for beginner, he let the employee of the shop set his guitar with the professional string, which is sharper and harder to strum. It made Baekhyun’s lesson went even harder.

It was almost close to Chanyeol’s birthday and Baekhyun still couldn’t play guitar well. So, he learned guitar hard by himself and tried to play Jason Mraz’s Live High because it was Chanyeol’s current favorite song. Baekhyun planned to sing Chanyeol that song on his birthday party later.

Baekhyun couldn’t feel hunger, well he could but he was too eager to learn guitar that it made him forget his hunger. He had skipped lunch and he almost skipped dinner.

 

When Baekhyun was scrolling the google page, someone opened his and Sehun’s room door. Baekhyun expected it was Sehun. “God! I still can’t find the right chord!” Baekhyun sighed then he lifted his face to see Sehun but what he saw wasn’t Sehun, it was Park Chanyeol. His Chanyeol.

Baekhyun’s eyes immediately widened, “W-what are you doing in here?” he asked, stuttering because of the shock he got from seeing the beautiful person he liked was standing there in front of him. Chanyeol looked at Baekhyun with kind of flat expression, he sighed and sat in front of Baekhyun which made Baekhyun even more confused.

Chanyeol reached out his hand while raising his eyebrows toward Baekhyun, Baekhyun who didn’t understand just blinked twice in confusion.

 

“What?” Baekhyun finally spoke,

“The guitar. Give me your guitar.”

“For what?” Baekhyun asked again still couldn’t understand why on earth Chanyeol wanted his guitar.

Chanyeol rolled his eyes and took the guitar from Baekhyun with a little force (because even without forcing, Baekhyun would give in to him).

 

Chanyeol switched the first string tunner a few times and strummed it to get the right sound, he also did that to the rest five strings. Baekhyun could only stare with his head cocked to the side in confusion.

“What are you doing?” Baekhyun asked, very curious but Chanyeol didn’t answer him and just replied instead “you need to tune the strings first to make sure the guitar sounds good.” Chanyeol said, but however for Baekhyun, because Chanyeol didn’t look at him in the eyes when he said that, it felt like he was being scolded by the man he loved. It made Baekhyun frown, Chanyeol switched the table position so it was now facing him.

Chanyeol furrowed his eyebrows and frowned a few times as he strummed the guitar bit by bit and made a good instrument for the song.

Chanyeol almost played half of the song, but suddenly he stopped and lifted his gaze from the guitar to the older boy in front of him and it startled Baekhyun because Baekhyun himself was busy watching Chanyeol played the guitar handsomely.

“What do you think you’re doing? Sing.” Chanyeol said, with much of commanding tone, Baekhyun awkwardly nodded his head and sang to the song.

 

The song finally came to the end. After the song ended, there was a peaceful silence between them and Baekhyun instead of being awkward he felt comfortable with the silence. Neither of them talk, but Chanyeol finally broke the icy but comfy silence betwee them.

“Ehm... You’ve tried hard.” Chanyeol said, Baekhyun shyly nodded his head but not too brave to see Chanyeol’s face.

 

“But, you know what Baek?” Chanyeol asked, Baekhyun who hung his head down immediately lifted it up to see Chanyeol and his heart was like dugeun dugeun. “What?” Baekhyun softly asked back, in transparent excitement.

“Even though you don’t try, even though you’re not playing guitar well, even though you dislike the Live High song... I would still like you.” Chanyeol said, with no hesitation along and Baekhyun immediately went weak, he had never expected Chanyeol to say such thing. A blush crept onton Baekhyun’s cheeks.

Chanyeol took a deep breath and continued, “even though you are just yourself, Byun Baekhyun, I would still like you.”