Precious memories

Love Takes Three

 

Suzy took the bus going to Incheon International airport. She had booked a flight going to New York. But before she could be away from Korea, she listened to the radio once more.

What will you do if you accidentally meet your boyfriend’s older brother then suddenly your heart keeps on thumping rapidly like a bomb?

“Well.. that’s a hard question. It’s like your hitting two birds with one stone”, the love guru chuckles and voices agreeing came from the other line. But he sounded so formally to give the caller an answer. He clears his throat and soon, he began to give his advice. “But you know miss, we only have one heart, only one can have one’s heart to fully make the relationship stronger”

It ran to her ear as she lean beside the window of her bus seat.

 

(flashback)

“Shin Won will love this”, Suzy filled her nose with the sweet scent of her freshly-baked cookies. She pressed the doorbell and soon, it began to open. It was their first month of being a couple. She planned to surprise him and give him a kiss on the cheek.

Rapidly as it shows, she did it with not knowing. A stranger dazzled her eyes. She touched her lips as she begun to apologize but the stranger only gave him a smile. He looks down and pointed at what Suzy is holding, “Is that for Shin Won?”, embarrassed, she tilted her head up and down.

“Myung, I’m going out please take care of..”, meanwhile, Shin Won entered the scene but did not see anything. He smiles warmly and greeted Suzy as he place one arm over her shoulder. Myungsoo gave them a look. “Looks like you two are having fun, huh?”, he ruffled his little brother’s hair that messed up his hairstyle.

 

The two of them are very closely alike if not only Shin Won dyed his hair mahogany brown. Suzy did not know that he has an older brother. Shin Won never talked about his family even once, saying that it’s very complicated and kept on giving her alibies. She lifted one of the pictures of Shin Won and Myungsoo, “When did your brother got home?”

Shin Won opens the refrigerator to have something to eat. “Just today.. he works as a kindergarten teacher”, while getting into Suzy’s place, he grabs a slice of pizza and asked Suzy if she want some. Suzy shook her head and looked on to the picture once more.

 

---

 

Myungsoo never failed to capture every girl’s hearts. He does it effortlessly. Others say he’s an epitome of perfection while others say he looks like Deathnote’s L. On his way to school where he teaches, he suddenly bumps with Suzy. She just can’t believe how he looks like Shin Won or the other way around. Her heart beats fast. “Mianhae”, Myungsoo takes off his sunglasses and gets down his bicycle. He helped Suzy pick her things up.

“Are you hurt?”, Myungsoo held her elbows as he located his eyes on her. “No. I’m okay”, she smiles. Upon getting on her knees, she suddenly remembers how Shin Won and she first met. It was like the same day as today, hot. She strolled at the park with her dog, Hippo, when Hippo got lost and Shin Won caught him around the corner. Now, Hippo is their lovable pet that stays in Shin Won’s house.

The two of them met eyes as magic created its way. Both of them felt a spark. Is this complication or attraction?, she began to ask herself as she place her hand closely to her chest. 

 

“Suzy-Ah there you are!”, Shin Won spotted the two while he handed Suzy her ice cream. “Rushing for school?”, he asked Myungsoo.

“Y-Yeah. I should get going. See ya!”, he sped off his bicycle as he gave Shin Won a handshake and slowly steps back while giving a salute to Suzy to say his ‘goodbye’.

“Are you okay?”, Shin Won placed a finger at Suzy’s cheek and gave her a pinch.

“Ow!”, she exclaimed. “Your cheeks are so red”, he examined her face. “Really?”, Suzy immediately gets the mirror inside her bag as she carefully looked at her reflection in the mirror. “That’s because you pinched me”, she uttered.

 

As the two of them went for a walk, Shin Won’s happy-go-lucky attitude turned to be stiff and strait. His eyes were at its fiery when he saw Myungsoo together with his girlfriend Suzy at the park but he managed to hide it. He put his hands to his nape, “Suzy..”, jumbled thoughts allowed him to ask her questions but he didn’t find the guts to say anything. “Yes?”, Suzy turned to him.

“Nothing”, he blows off and turns his look away.

 

---

 

For the next days, he kept on seeing the two in good terms and it is starting to be a problem with their relationship. Jealousy controlled him so he decided to talk to Suzy seriously.

 “Is he better than me?”, Shin Won stomps at the breaks that roared a loud screech on the street. “What?”, Suzy turned to him, barely hearing what he said.

“Is Myungsoo better than me?!”, Shin Won had raised his voice and completely screwed the whole date. “I don’t understand you”, Suzy tried to get out of the car, but Shin Won hindered her, locking the car door again.

“I will not let you go out unless you have something to say. Do you love him?”. Suzy locked her eyes to him. “Do you love him?!”, his face totally scared Suzy. It feared her that Shin Won has that kind of attitude. Then she had to spank him. Her eyes were puzzled, not expecting this would have happened. Shin Won smirked and turned his gaze.

 

And then he chuckles. It shows how immature he was. “Shin Won, you don’t know what you’re saying!”, tears formed in Suzy’s eyes. “I don’t know? Then let’s ask him”, he again the car engine speeds up to get home. Suzy sobs in fear. “No Shin Won. We have no relationship”, she sniffs, trying to stop him. But until they get into Shin Won’s house, he’s not letting her free.

“Myung, she has something to ask you”, Suzy grabbed Shin Won by his sleeves, pleading him to stop this but he swayed his arm that made Suzy’s body move closer to where Myungsoo is standing. “Say it”, his tone is low, encouraging her to spill out the beans. “Shin Won please stop this..”

“Say it!”, Shin Won, in intense, threw a plate to the floor that shattered into pieces. Suzy can’t find the right words to say or how to explain to him Myungsoo’s physical condition. “Shin Won!”, as an older brother, Myungsoo commanded him to tone down. Shin Won had cut his hand, but he never minds it and gets on our way. “I want to know.. Now that you met him, who will you choose? Me or him?”

“Stop it Shin Won, she’s hurting!”, Myungsoo began to raise his tone of voice which is unusual for him. What many people don’t know about him is that he is sick. “No, let her make decisions Myung”

“I said stop!”, he touched his chest and raised him up. They tackled on the floor as they threw punches to each other. But what made Suzy cry more is seeing Myungsoo squealing in pain. He’s critical. “Mom told us to share but I’m not gonna share everything that I have!”, he raised again his hand but Myungsoo is not replying. Instead, he touched his chest, he tried to compose himself and find his breathing. “He’s sick! Stop it Shin Won. Let’s take Myungsoo to the hospital”, Suzy, crying, didn’t know what to do.

 

“What?!”, when Shin Won regained consciousness, he turned to her and soon offered his help for his older brother. Guilty, he walked back and forth, rubbed his temples and messed up his hair while waiting for the doctor to proceed and tell them Myungsoo’s medical condition. Shin Won screamed at the hallway and get down to his knees. “It’s okay..”, Suzy knew that he was in pain. She carried him to her lap and comforted her. Even to her, it is too painful too.

 

“Give this to Shin Won when I’m away”

“Tell him to always brush Hippo’s hair. It’s turning to be stiff already”

“Take care, the two of you”

 

 

This was Myungsoo’s words to Suzy every time they bond together. He did not want Shin Won to know his condition, and even his family.

 

(back to present time)

Suzy dials a number to her phone.

“Annyeong..”, “Yes miss? What can we do for you?”, a manly voice asked from the other line.

“Uhn.. I just want to say something to the caller lately”

“Looks like we’re having a new caller!”, the love guru clicks on the button that aired Suzy’s voice. “No. No. I just want to say something to the last caller..”, “Please do so”

Suzy clears before answering. She started to tell her story, and ended up with a line that says: “Just.. Follow what your heart says”. It have touched many people’s hearts.

“Awwwww.. V-very memorable don’t you think folks? What’s your name by the way? I haven’t asked”

“It’s Suzy Bae”

“Cheers for Miss Suzy Bae. Yay!”, clapping hands kindled her ear that brought her smile back again. “Thank you”

 

Then once again, he looked up at the bright sky. Now that she’s leaving, a very precious memory of him will be forever etched in her heart.

 

It was her turn to leave. It’s a complicated relationship.

She puts on her fingers to her forehead and saluted him. “Goodbye, Myung!”