First Day

Heartbeats and Banters

 

“Ohayou Ma’am…”

“Mmm, Ohayou…” Horikita Maki greeted the doorman to her apartment building as she exited, fixing her bag and her glasses perched on the inclined bridge of her petite nose. She just got back to Tokyo from London last night and only got the chance this morning to breathe in the morning air. This was it. First day of reporting for her. There was an invisible extra skip in her step as she rode the made her way to the train station. Actually, report time for them every morning was 8 in the morning but she was so excited so with the time only being 6 and a half in the morning, she was already on her way to Ue Hodokyou academy of arts.

It was just one train ride from the apartment so there was no hassle or any need to be that early. Maybe she was just that excited. When she reached her stop, she immediately went for the doors and literally strutted over to the direction of the academy. From the stop light she crossed over until she reached the vicinity of the large academy.     

Ue Hodokoyou was an amazing establishment. The gates moved around the whole academy, ensuring the safety of the students. Plus its nature-filled grounds would be a great help with relaxing the people there. It’s been three years since she last set foot there. She wondered if people still remembered her? Then she realized that she may be the first one there.

The school still hadn’t changed. The charm and the artistic atmosphere were still there. It looked more like a rally large mansion than a school for arts. Her feet led her to the familiar pathway until she reached the faculty room. There was on figure present inside; poured over his laptop. The door was open and so Maki let herself just an inch inside before knocking on the wood panelling. “Nice desk you’ve got there…” At the sound of her voice, the man inside lifted his head, looking directly at her. His eyes widened for a moment before he stood up, his lips pulling into a wide smile. “Maki! It’s so good to see you!” Before Maki could move from her spot, the man named Yucihi encased her in a bear hug.

“It’s great to see you too Yucchi.” She hugged him back.

The smile was still evident as he pulled away. “You’re excited huh?” He teased and Maki couldn’t but laugh at herself. But she bet she wouldn’t be getting up this early once the school year starts.

“Anyways!” Yuichi piped up, suddenly filled with energy. “Let me show you to your desk.” He led her across the room into the upper left area until they were at a space with four cubicles made to look like a square. Obviously the one which was blank as a sheet of paper was hers. She ran her hands through the smooth surface if the desk before looking back up at Yuichi with a wide smile on her face. “Arigato Yuichi…”

“Jaa, why don’t you get settled in…” Yuichi started. “People won’t be coming until about--”

“Maki-chan?”    

Yuichi and Maki whipped their heads to the direction of the faculty door which was at the other side of the room only to see a face which Maki missed dearly.

“Erika-chan!” Maki literally bounced on her feet before meeting the newly arrived person at the middle of the room. “I missed you so much!”

“You?! I missed you too much!” Erika chuckled. If it weren’t cheesy enough there were almost tears in her pretty eyes. But then she turned to Yuichi with a death glare. “You didn’t even tell me that Maki-chan was coming back!”

“I only knew until a few days ago!” Yuichi reasoned out. “And I’m sorry that I only told myself!”

Maki grinned too herself. It was good to be back. “Demo, does this mean Meisa doesn’t know I’m back?” She asked, pertaining to her other best friend. She didn’t tell anyone either. It was a sudden decision although she thought Yuichi would tell at least one other person.

Yuichi was one of Maki's closest friends and often acted like a big brother. He was the peacemaker and jolly friend of everyone, sharing smile with his boyish hair and adorable big nose.

Meisa was going to freak! Maki knew it. Unlike Erika, Meisa would probably scream at her and ask why she didn't inform them ahead of time.

"Jaa, since people aren't even here yet, we will tour around even though you already know te place!!" Erika declared, pulling a willing Maki away.

"Bring her back by 8!!" Yuichi called out just as the Erika shut the door close.

Now they were at the corridor with no one to see them and it was all Erika could do as she hugged Maki as close as she could. Maki just wished her arm wouldn't be ripped off its circulation! Her hands were her talent of course, playing the piano since she was 4 years old.

"I missed you so much Maki-chan!" Erika hugged firmer if it was possible.

"I missed you too Eri bit you're cutting off my circulation!" Maki almost choked, managing to relieve the pressure but not Erika's hold. They made their way pass the corridors, Erika jabbering the whole time of Meisa and their other friends.

"Oh and guess what, Jin and Meisa got together!"

"Eh?!" Maki's eyes widened at the news! Jin and Meisa? But it was like those two didn't even know each other! "When did this happen?"

"Oh just last month..." Erika drifted off dreamily as they sat by the school garden. "I told you those two would get together..." Erika believed that she had this power to predict how couples would be. Even she knew that her boyfriend Kazuya who was also an instructor at the academy, would be the one for her. She just gave him a simple smile and all was history.

And that brought Erika to... "So about you and To--"

"Atututut..." Maki raised her hands as she leaned on the tree bark with Erika standing in front of her. "We will not enter that topic of your crazy talk and what not..."

"Fine..." Erika said defeatedly. Her arms crossed, looking at her friend. There was a glint in her eyes that scared the wits out of Maki but she'd rather not talk about it.

It took about half an hour for them to tour only a fourth of the whole academy and they weren't even entering rooms, just the corridors. Maki stopped with walking and turned to her wrist watch. "I think we should get going..."

"Oh okay hold on, I need to use the rest room..."

And since she didn't need to relieve herself, Maki waited outside, opting to look at the bulletin boards. A face caught her attention. Smirking, she shook her head mindlessly. Still handsome and still smug looking as ever. He had his guitar with him in the picture as he posed for the 4th annual Ue Hodokyo recital.

"Anou, sumimasen, are you lost?"   

Maki turned at the voice. A beautiful woman, about her age stood there with a small smile on her face. Being a pioneer, Maki knew all the other instructors and this woman must be new.

“Anou…”

“Okay Maki-chan ikou!” Erika came right in time, her, long wavy hair swishing as she exited the bathroom corridor. She topped momentarily when she saw that it wasn’t only her and Maki there. “Oh! Hello Keiko! You’re early today!”

“So are you…” Keiko replied amusedly. “Although you are always early…”

“That I am…” Erika answered. Then she remembered that Keiko and Maki didn’t know each other yet. “Oh Keiko, this is Maki, she’s going to be a piano instructor too.” She said before turning to Maki. “Keiko, is a violin instructor here…”

“Ah hajimemae…” Maki smiled and offered her hand which Keiko shook, matching the smile on Maki’s face.

“Kochira koso…”

“Jaa, anyway, Yuichi is going to kick my if I don’t bring in Maki by 8, so shall we?” Erika gestured with her hand.

“You go on ahead.” Keiko said. “I have to pick up something I left in the studio.”

“Mmm okay then…”

“Jaa..”

Maki and Erika watched as the woman walked further down the hall before the two of them made their way over to the faculty, following the same route they came from.

“So when did Keiko start here?” Maki asked.

“Last year. And she’s a really good violinist.” Erika answered. After that they were silent. There wasn’t much to talk about until they reached the faculty which was no longer empty compared to what Maki saw just an hour ago.  

What Maki didn’t expect was the attention they would get once she entered. All the instructors looked their way. They were all quiet for a while but one instructor couldn’t resist and almost crushed Maki even.

“You! Why didn’t you tell me!?”

“I missed you too Meisa.” Maki laughed, hugging the girl closer.

“Hey! I want in too!” Erika pouted from the sides before Meisa pulled her in until the three of them were in one giant hug altogether. Pioneers of Ue Hodokyou knew how close these three were. They were all of the same age, their personalities matching with each other in a perfect puzzle. Meisa was the oldest in months. She was also the tallest, her hair almost reaching her back side and her skin glowing in an olive contrast and her face was instant charm with those high cheekbones of hers. Erika was next, with a petite nose and full lips, her hair wavy and almost curly.

Maki always told herself that she was the simplest looking amongst them three. Her hair passed her shoulder only a few inches, waving inside to frame her pretty face. She had the same petite nose as Erika but her biggest feature was undoubtedly her beguiling eyes.

“So how is the reunion going?” A deep voice came from behind.

Maki’s eyes widened in excitement before she lunged over and hugged the man. “Jin!” She stepped back and took a good look at the man. “Wow, you look great, does that come from dating my best friend huh?” Maki challenged as Jin chuckled, scratching the back of his neck and circling one arm around Meisa’s waist. Jin was a guitar instructor and one of the pioneers of their beloved academy. He was handsome with this rugged look to his face, his hair long and layered, reaching his shoulders.

“Ne so should I start with the meeting?” Yuichi asked them.

“Chotto!” Erika exclaimed. “Kazuya isn’t here yet.” She pulled out her cellphone, ready to call her boyfriend but was stopped with a voice from the doorway.

“It’s okay we’re here!”

Maki turned at the voice which she knew wasn’t Kazuya’s. But there stood Kazuya and…

“Hello Tomohisa…” She smirked. “Still being late I see?”

“Maki?” Kazuya said surprised but there was a small but happy smile on his face. Then he turned to his fellow late-mate.

The man named Tomohisa stopped momentarily. He pushed his bangs covering his handsome face. There was no doubt he was surprised to see Maki there, his eyes widened as if he couldn’t believe that she was there. It’s been three years for crying out loud. “You’re just too early Maki…” He smirked back.

“Just admit you always have a hard time from getting up…”

Their eyes challenged each other until Tomohisa grinned to himself and said; “It’s good to see you again Maki.”   

========================================================================================

AN: Helloo friends! SO how is the first chap? More to come! Thank you for reading! and please comment ne? XD Love you all!