Chapter 2 - Gerard's Journal

Kokkina Matia

 

 

“Kai! Are you okay?” Chari shouted trying to lift my face to see if I have any bruises of some sort but I turned away, she mustn’t see my eyes or else I’m doom. The people in the store gathered around me were all worried and I can hear murmurs. This , totally , but Chari knew I wear contacts all the time so she might have thought that I can’t see without them and I don’t have any other alibi’s either.

I stood up covering my eyes as Chari grabbed my right arm “Chari, I lost my contacts accidentally while wiping my eyes a while ago it must have slipped away.” I explained.

I can hear sounds of agreement and relief from the elderly’s’.

“So, I can’t see well because my contacts are lost. Can you search for it? I think I lost it in the cosmetics section.” I continued.

“Sure! I’ll look for it now!” Agreed Chari and went on looking. Nice, it’s a good thing she is a bit naïve because I can easily make up stories at times like this.

Roddie then guided me and makes me sit near the cashier to wait for Chari. The old hags also went back to mind their own businesses, good grief, and now that I’m starting to calm myself too.

What the hell just happened back there?

Was it all just my imagination?

The black figure who appears to be me, was it just an illusion? But it felt so real because if it was not, would my eyes changed its colour? I can't stop imagining the black figure that I saw, terrified, and asking for help.

Help?

To who?

"Found it! I also bought contacts cleanser" Chari happily announced waiting for me to pat her head.

And so I did, pat her head "Good job and thanks." What is she my pet? But thanks to her naïvety I got to escape myself from getting my red eyes caught.

. . . .

After putting the contacts on, paid the groceries and listened to Chari's non-stop conversation about on how to put make-up on the way, I finally arrived home.

I put up all the groceries at the kitchen table and went to the fridge to get something to drink. It seems too that my mom has already left for work and since I still got time till my afternoon class start. I walked to the living room, grab my sketchbook and pencil under the rooms' table and started to draw myself with a black colour on my left eye and red on the other side. I'm good at this kind off stuff, ever since I was a kid drawing is kind of a day-to-day routine to me not being a hobby. Just by imagining myself like the figure I saw gives me the chills already.

Ding, dong

"Good day! Is anyone home?" someone's voice outside calls out.

 "What do you want?"

 "I have a package ma'am from Gerard Gran"

 I paused for a moment and gave a sigh. They're still sending us those things? I thought. I open the door and received a big brown envelope.

"Thanks" I said and the post man left.

 From Gerard Gran huh, my deceased father, I don't really know what he does and what his job was, all I know is that he is some sort of scientist. He died during an expedition at sea said my mom; she never told me much about his death. What's left for us, his family, are his research documents that are being send to us every month. The usual, I opened the envelope and inside were pieces of paper, my dad's work – mostly about the human body and its eyes. Well, scientifically speaking I don't quite understand all of what I'm reading now but as I flip from page to page, every detail inside started to make sense to me.

What the hell is this?

 I ran upstairs to my mom's room and search for the other documents and ran downstairs again; put all the papers together starting from the first one that we have received. The numbers written on the top left are all in sequence, also, the contents inside are chronologically arranged from the first event to the last.

It’s a journal.

I can see from the first entry dad has discovered something from the human eyes which made me a bit nervous.

001

The world has become mad said the majesty himself to me while we walked along the palace gardens. The president of the United States is a noble man I should say; due to my research of the human body he took interest in me and wants to hire me as his scientist and during our walk he talked about the era of "God's Wrath" and how the seven continents are in peace with each other through generations up to today.

But I also have felt a distressing feeling from him, with such pure eyes like a God he told me the time will someday come that one of the seven continents will betray the others and the treaty that have kept this world safe from anarchy will no longer be valid. He told me that with my knowledge I can create a weapon for his protection if that day will come. I doubted myself, it is great for his majesty to asked help from me but what can I do? I only study the human body. He offered me a huge amount of money in order for me to accept his proposal and have given me a week to think of an idea and so I agreed.

When I reached home I saw my wife, Elizabeth, crying, it seems her boss beats her up every time she commits a small mistake. Seeing my love cried like that made me realize what kind of scientist am I? I am scientist indeed yet I am not rich at all. Due to my low salary Elizabeth had to work as a servant in a merchants' home. Nevertheless of what had happened to her she still gave me a warm smile telling me not to worry. What kind of life is this? I can't even give her a child because I'm afraid he or she might suffer our poor status. And so I thought of his majesty's offer and wanted to give it a try.

I never knew mom and dad struggled to live before. I continued reading; it's been three days since I met his majesty, the president of the United States. With my past research about the human eyes in the 3rd district a year ago I have discovered that it’s possible that the human eyes can reach a hundred percent of usage connecting the brain and giving humans an unbelievable strength, thus we called superhuman abilities. Although I never had done this experiment before but thanks to this, I have come up with an idea to use the eyes to gain more than the superhuman abilities and the human body, its vessel, become its weapon.

If I can break the hundred percent barriers and exceeded it to a hundred and one percent then there is no doubt I can create a much powerful weapon. I can create the impossible, using humans as the weapon itself.

With this ideal perception, I believe I can do it; no I must do it, for Elizabeth.

So I went to the palace today and proposed it to his majesty, with the advance technology we have today and with proper financial help I can create it, a weapon for him. After the proposal, his majesty patted my shoulder and said that what I'm about to create is illegal and can play human lives, in other words, a gamble. Out of selfish reason I responded "A scientist do not know such words" and his majesty just laughed.

 He agreed I'll do the project but only in confidentiality. I was deeply over joyed and suddenly went to where Elizabeth work and told her we don't have to worry on how to live everyday anymore because I'm finally a scientist working under his majesty. I can’t tell her what my project is for I am sure she will be disappointed but there’s nothing I can do, I’m tired of our lives stuck in poverty. Elizabeth cried with joy and oh such joy arouse in me to see my love’s smiling face. I can finally give her a luxurious life starting now.

 I just hope this experiment is a success.

End of first entry,

Gerard Gran

 Oh no, I gasped.