The Clock is Ticking

The Clock is Ticking


Minmi sighed as the teacher droned on and on about Political Science and how it affected the country. She chanced another look down onto her wrist to her clock. 1598734 blinked along the small plate making her sigh again.

A world where your encounter with your "soul mate" was shown by a calculation on the wrists of both parties; that was the type of world Minmi Park was a part of. Under normal circumstances she'd be fine with it, but it didn't really help when the numbers that are supposed to tell you when you're going to meet your mystery mate made absolutely no sense what-so-ever. Were the numbers time in minutes? Hours? Days? Every little thing she did during the day would either make them raise or lower, like when she decided to walk through the park on her way home rather than the street, her number instantly shot up by 10,000, and another time when she refused to go out dancing with a group of her friends the number went down by 20,000.

Minmi slid her gaze over to her friend, Hyun-ha to see her exchanging meaningful looks with her boyfriend, her wrist clock blinking 000.

Many people believed it was a pre-destined thing that brought two soul mates together; Minmi just believed it was pure dumb luck as it was her who had pushed Hyun-ha out of the tree and made her land on Jin.

"I expect your essays to be completed by Friday," the teacher finished just before the bell rang.

The class groaned and packed up, Minmi sighing and sliding her books back into her bag.

"Would you stop sighing already?" Hyun-ha snapped, giving her friend a stern look. "I know you're bummed about your clock but sti-"

"I don't want to hear it Hyun-ha, not today," Minmi snapped, standing from her desk and marching out of the classroom.

She shoved her hands into her pockets and marched to her locker. She got all of her things and made her way out of the university, home to another evening of staring at her wrist and wondering if god was playing tricks on her as some sort of prank.

Before she realized it, she was standing in front of her house. Opening the door she found the chain lock was on and groaned. Closing the door again she weaved her way around to the back of the house. She gripped the trellis and climbed until she was in front of the second floor window to the bathroom. Forcing it open with her shoulder, she pushed it open all the way then carefully climbed inside, making sure her foot didn't end up in the toilet bowl… again.

"YA REIMI! STOP LOCKING THE DOOR!" she roared after coming out of the bathroom.

"THEN STOP STEALING MY PENS!!" the boy yelled back from his room.

"I GIVE THEM BACK LIKE TEN MINUTES LATER YOU TWIT!!"

"ENOUGH!!!"

Minmi turned to see her father coming out of his study with an unimpressed look on his face.

"There will be no yelling in this house," he warned, his voice level and calm.

Minmi simply nodded and retreated to her room, slamming the door shut behind her. Flopping onto her bed, she took her pillow and buried her face into it, letting out an aggravated scream and pounding her legs against her mattress. She lifted her head and looked up onto her dresser. In a small frame was a note torn from her diary that she had written nearly two years ago.

'Today I went to a Super Junior concert with Hyun-ha! The Oppas were amazing, so much better sounding live than on TV(although I could have done without the shrill screams in my ears). While we were there Hyun-ha tried to tell me something, but the noise was too loud, so she motioned to my wrist. Before we had gone to the concert my number was 593468, but when I looked down at it, it read 200! Omo! Diary I was so close!!'

Minmi remembered that day very clearly. When Hyun-ha had motioned to her clock, Minmi had abandoned her spot in the crowd and tried to find her soul mate, but no matter how much she looked, the number never went any lower. Before she knew it, the concert was over and everyone started leaving, Minmi's clock instantly raising back up. She had tried to go to every concert after that, but her number never went back down. Two years had passed and it's never gone any lower than 300000.

"Minmi! Dinner's ready!" Reimi barked through her door.

The girl sighed again and turned the frame so that the glass was facing down and walked out of her room. In truth, Minmi was beginning to lose hope that she was ever going to find her soul mate. She'd heard and read about stories where people went through their entire lives without finding their other half, that and the fact that her brother and father would constantly hint that she never would didn't really help her mood towards it.

The three sat down and began to eat. For a few minutes, Minmi believed that it was going to be a dinner that didn't involve her plotting to kill her brother in his sleep. She should have known better…

"So, Minmi-ah, how did your quest to find your soul mate go? Any luck? O wait, you screwed up your chances two years ago," Reimi taunted, cutting into his meat.

Minmi clenched her fork in her hand, mentally slapping herself for estimating the distance she would have to cross to stab him with it.

"Reimi," their father began. "Stop disrespecting your sister."

"Why? Because she's not really giving anything back to this family. She's going to turn into a soloist at the rate she's going-"

Minmi suddenly stood from her chair, nearly knocking it to the floor.

"Forgive me father, I seem to have lost my appetite," she growled, glaring at Reimi out of the corner of her eye.

With a bow of respect to the head of the house, she packed up her plates, placed them in the sink, then quickly retreated to her room. She closed the door slowly then slid down the back, curling into a ball and sobbing.

She wasn't upset because of what Reimi had said to her. No, she was upset because what Reimi said to her is what she'd been thinking for the past couple weeks. She had her chance two years ago at the Super Junior concert and she had missed it. The chances of her getting another chance like that were slim to none.

Minmi raised her head from her knees when her phone began to ring on her side table. She stood from the floor and picked it up, the caller ID telling her it was Hyun-ha.

"Hey Hyun-ha," she greeted with a slight croak.

"Judging by how you sound it's a good thing I called!" she woman cheered. "You and I are going to go to the opening for a bar just a little down the street from my house! We are going to get pissed drunk, make fools of ourselves and call Jin at 2 O'clock and demand a ride and possibly some ice cream and rom-coms!"

Minmi couldn't help but chuckle at her friend's statement. "You don't even drink…" she laughed, sitting on her bed.

"I will drink for you my lovely MiMi!" Hyun-ha sang, Minmi imagining the grin on her face.

Not seeing any way out she nodded. "Fine, seeing as you're going to come over here and drag me out of my room if I say no…"

"I'm not dragging you out if you say no…"

Minmi raised an eyebrow and quickly looked over to her door when it began to open.

"I'm dragging you out no matter what your answer is~♪" Hyun-ha sang, still holding her phone up to her ear.

Minmi rolled her eyes with a smile and hung up, Hyun-ha doing the same. The guest strode over to Minmi's closet, ing the doors open with a dramatic 'bang'.

"Now! What can I manage to squeeze you into on this night of fine dining?"

-=-=-=-=-

"See? Doesn't this place look staggering?" Hyun-ha cheered, pulling Minmi towards the club by the elbow.

"That's one way to put it…" Minmi muttered.

"You're such a party pooper!" Hyun-ah huffed, dragging her friend through the door.

"I'm not a party pooper, I'm a realist, and realistically speaking, me getting drunk and flirting with guys is about as statistically possible of you breaking up with Jin…"

Hyun-ha gave the girl a dirty look making Minmi roll her eyes, allowing her friend to tug her further into the club. The two got up to the bar and Hyun-ha ordered two martinis.

"Martinis? Really?" Minmi deadpanned. "Did you even look at the prices on the board?"

"I'm willing to go to any length and pay any price so long as you lose that pity me attitude!" Hyun-ha huffed, taking the drinks from the bartender.

Minmi gave Hyun-ha an unimpressed look and sat down on one of the stools.

"Ya Park Minmi!" Hyun-ha barked, sliding the drink over to her friend. "You need to get drunk and try some good old fashion flirting!"

Minmi gave the drink a distasteful look and pouted, turning her head away from it making Hyun-ha huff.

"Will you stop brooding already?!" she snapped. "You'll find your soul mate! You just have to be patient!!"

Minmi didn't reply making Hyun-ah give an aggravated sigh, throw her hands up above her head and walk away, leaving the kill joy behind at the bar. Said kill joy simply stirred the toothpick around in her drink, staring into its contents as if the answer to all of her problems would appear in the liquid.

"Two beers please," a voice from beside her said.

Minmi ignored them until her eyes strayed to her wrist.

002

Her eyes widened and she slowly shifted her gaze to her right. Before she could get a look at the man's face, he was handed the beers and he stood from his chair to walk away. In a spur of the moment reaction, she quickly reached out and grasped the hem of his shirt. When he stopped and turned around, Minmi could feel her wrist begin to feel warm.

"Ummm…" he began, most likely a little shocked at her bewildered expression.

"Clock…" she murmured quietly.

Somehow he heard her over the noise of the club and looked down at her right wrist, her hand still grasping his shirt. When he saw her number, he looked at his own wrist allowing Minmi to see it as well.

Both read 000

He moved his eyes back to the stunned girl in front of him and smiled.

"By any chance… were you at the concert two years ago?" he asked.

Not able to find her words, Minmi simply nodded making him chuckle.

"After two years… I finally found you," he said, a gentle smile spreading across his face.

Minmi nodded again then regained what little composer she had left and released his shirt, offering him her right hand.

"Park Minmi," she introduced, a shy smile spreading across her features.

"It's nice to finally meet you Park Minmi, my name is Kim Youngwoon," he replied, placing his hand in hers after placing the beers down.

"It's n-nice to meet you… Kangin-Oppa."