Intro

When a Woman Loves Another

 

"You are fired."

 

Her lips parted fully as she let out a short gasp after hearing the manager's remark. She looked at him as if he was insane, her arms dropping to her sides and a terrified frown forming on her pretty face. She wasn't so sure as to why she'd receive such harsh words from him. As far as she's concerned, she's been a very hardworking employee even though she did have some small flaws every now and then.

"I-I don't understand." She gaped at him. "Why are you suddenly firing me?"

He lifted an eyebrow at her. "Do I have to list out the reasons?" When receiving no response from the girl, he took a deep breath before speaking. "You're clumsy, a slob, and you're scaring away all of my customers with your annoying attitude."

Yoona didn't consider her bubbly personality as something 'annoying'.

"What are you talking about? The customers love me!" She exclaimed with a wide smile, opening her arms wide as she faced the random people who were eating on each table. "Don't you love me guys?" The customers just gave her a blank look before quickly lowering her heads and ignoring her question. Yoona's shoulders dropped. "I don't understand..You're supposed to hail me as the employee of the year, not fire me." 

The manager scowled before laughing in a mocking way. "Employee of the year huh? You've got to be kidding me. You better pack up your things now and leave." He pointed a finger towards the door, glaring at her in the process. 

"B-But.."

"No more buts! Now leave!" 

She sighed heavily, her heart dropping at the cruel command. There isn't anything she can do. Once she was about to turn around and walk away, she suddenly paused in her tracks. The manager quizically raised his eyebrows in surprise once she suddenly faced him and beamed him a hopeful smile.

"Can I still get this month's salary?" She battered her eyelashes cutely.

"No. LEAVE!"

*****

Yoona exited the restaurant with a heavy heart. 

It's been only a week since she's started working in this place. She'd been jumping from one job to another, but she never lasted for more than a week in any of them. Yoona believes she is a hardworking kind of girl, but there are unavoidable times wherein she tends to fail in her tasks. 

She walked towards the bus stop and sat on the wooden bench with a frustrated look on her face. Her doe eyes glanced at a distance as plenty of thoughts invaded her exhausted mind. 

Now that she's got no job, what would she tell her dad? 

How will she be able to pay for her brother's tuition fees?

More importantly, when will she manage to find a new job?

She exhaled a deep breath while rubbing her temples. Just in time, the public bus had stopped right in front of her. She hopped in and headed towards the back of the vehicle, spotting a vacant seat at the back besides an old lady. Yoona sat down and took a deep breath, starting to think of numerous ways on how to break the bad news to her family members.

A few minutes the bus made its stop, and a few number of passengers entered inside. The bus was beginning to get filled with people, and all of the seats were already occupied which left the others no choice but to stand up. 

A certain young woman stood beside the seat where Yoona was sitting on. Yoona couldn't help but to glance up and witness the woman's beautiful features. It wasn't because she's interested her or anything, but because the woman's beauty was too alluring to ignore. But she also noticed how terribly pale the woman looked. She looks extremely tired and the strained expression on her face makes Yoona realize that this woman needs her seat more than she does.

It didn't take long before Yoona slowly stood up and motioned towards the woman. 

"Here, you should sit down." 

The woman look startled for a moment, but she didn't reject Yoona's offer. She sat down before throwing Yoona a beautiful smile, and it didn't fail to make her heart flutter a bit. She smiled back. "Thanks." The woman whispered almost inaudibly. 

"No problem." 

*****

Yoona suddenly froze in her tracks. 

Her house was in view and she was only a few meters away from their gate. She swallowed a mouthful and hesitated to take one step. Up to now she still had no idea how to explain things to her father and brother. She didn't want to crush their hopes by revealing that she's jobless again, but lying to them and telling them that everything's okay when it's not is much worse.

Oh well, here I go.

Without any more hesitation, Yoona marched towards their front gate with her hands balled into fists. 

"Appa! Hunnie! I'm home!" Her voice echoed along the empty living room as she entered their humble home and kicked her shoes by the door. She wandered her eyes around her surroundings and wondered why it's empty. But just then, her father appeared from the kitchen wearing a pink apron. 

"Oh Yoongie! You're home." He trudged towards his daughter to give her a bear hug. "We've been waiting for you. Dinner's ready." As they pulled away from each other, this gave Yoona the chance to glance at her father's outfit. "Appa what are you wearing?" She tried not to giggle at the pinkish color of the apron.

Her father grinned. "It makes my skin look fairer, don't you think?" 

Yoona clasped a hand over in order to prevent herself from laughing. "Aish, you better find a new job soon dad. You constantly staying at home gives me the fear that you might become a housewife soon." They both laughed and just in time a tall, handsome young boy in his teenage years appeared coming out from one of the bedrooms. 

"Noona! You're back!" He threw her a charming smile. 

"I am. Now let's have dinner!" Yoona rubbed her stomach in circling motion. "My stomach is growling." 

As Yoona watches as her two family members headed towards the dining room with happy smiles on their faces. It made her think that maybe it's not a good idea to break out the news yet. Seeing them so relaxed, happy, and content like this, she just couldn't bear to dissappoint them because of her failure. She couldn't bear to let them down just like that.

They're her only family.

~O~O~O~O~O~

"We miss you Jessica. Please text back."

 

Jessica stared at the following words imprinted on the screen of her mobile phone. She'd been staring at it for almost half an hour, having a certain debate on her head about whether she should reply to it or not. She was about to choose the second option, since it was the option she always used to pick out. But then she thought about her parents, her sister, and all of her friends who have been constantly worrying about her to no end.

Maybe it's time for me to open up to them. I can't keep burdening their hearts with worries. Heck, I don't even deserve any of their worries at all.

She bit her lower lip before pressing on her phone's keypad with frail fingers. 

'I miss you guys too.'

After pressing the button, the text message was instantly sent to its receiver. She sighed before throwing her phone halfway across her bed. She laid her back onto the soft mattress of her sleeping area as her eyes made its way up to the ceiling. Once again the silence and the emptiness of the room started to engulf her, but it wasn't so suffocating unlike before.

A few minutes later her eyelids started to become heavy and soon enough she'd lost her consciousness.

"Baby."

Jessica wasn't able to repress her smile once a pair of arms made its way around her tiny waist. She was busily preparing tuna sandwiches in the kitchen, but her activity came to a halt once her girlfriend decided to interrupt her for a short while.

"Yah, stop it. I'm trying to make lunch here." Jessica tried not to whimper as she felt soft, gentle butterfly kisses being planted around her neck and then to her bare shoulders.

"Then it's good that I'm here. Someone has to make sure that you won't burn the kitchen down." A low, husky chuckle came right in after the teasing remark. Jessica scrunched her nose and shrugged the other woman away from her. 

"Ha-ha very funny. Now leave." She pointed a finger towards a distance while giving her a cute glare. "I don't need your teasing or your kisses. None of them are encouraging."

The taller girl smiled slyly at her before grabbing her shoulders, forcing the shorter girl to face her fully. "You were wrong about one thing." Jessica's breathing hitched once the black haired woman suddenly leaned against her which caused their bodies to press together. Her knees buckled once her lover had lovingly caressed her cheek with one hand. "My kisses..are always encouraging." The younger woman whispered once their lips were barely a centimeter away from each other.

"Whatever." Jessica rolls her eyes before grabbing her girlfriend's collar with her hands. "Just shut your cocky mouth up and kiss me." 

And she did. 

Jessica was never able to finish making the tuna sandwiches that day.

"Sica. Sica wake up!"

Jessica felt a sudden pan of headache once her shoulders were being violently shaken. A painful groan escaped her lips as her eyes slowly fluttered open, revealing a shadowy figure before her blurry sight. 

"Sica! Are you okay?"

"What.." She placed a hand over her head, feeling a bit dizzy at the moment. Her eyes tried to adjust and once it cleared, she recognized the humanoid figure in front of her. Jessica wanted to open and say something, but she was too busy trying to deal with the headache she was having. "Ow.." 

"Omo, are you in pain?!" A pair of hands rested on her shoulders and squeezed it. "What do you want? Medicine? Water? Doctor? CPR?" Jessica looked up and was about to give the other person a glare, only to stop when she saw a pair of dark brown onyx eyes looking back at her with pure concern. 

Jessica sighed and removed the hands on her shoulders. "Stop yelling Taengoo. It's not really helping to ease the pain." She rubbed her temples. 

"Sorry." If only the shorter girl wasn't so adorably cute, Jessica would've yelled at her already for disturbing her beauty sleep. "How are you feeling? Is it a headache?" The brown haired shortie asked continously with her voice filled with worry. Instead of a calm suggestion on how to easen the pain away, Jessica received a flick on the forehead instead. "Aish! That's what you get for constantly giving yourself those sleeping pills! Seriously Sica, why on earth would you still need a sleeping pill if you can easily sleep within a millisecond without it?"

"Yah, don't do that. It hurts." Jessica pouted, rubbing her victimed forehead. 

Taeyeon's eyes softened as her lips outstretched into a small smile. "Do you want me to make some soup for you?" She was a bit afraid that Jessica was going to decline her offer or worse, she might send her away. It has always been like that, Jessica always refusing any help from others. Ever since the accident happened, Jessica had shut everybody out.

She distanced herself from all the people who cared about her.

"Yes. Yes please." It took Jessica a lot of hesitating before slowly smiling back. It's been a long while since she beamed a smile. Although it was brief and somehow forced, Taeyeon was relieved to finally witness her friend show a positive expression.

*****

"Sica."

"Yes?"

The two were inside the living room. Taeyeon was sitting on one side while Jessica laid her head on her lap, a calm atmosphere around them while the younger girl enjoyed the feeling of Taeyeon's fingers combing her long light brown blocks. 

"Sica." Taeyeon called once more.

"What is it Taeyeon?" 

The shorter girl flashed a dimpled smile. "Nothing. I just loved calling you that." She chuckled a for a while after receiving a pinch on the cheek from the girl lying on her thighs. "You weirdo." Jessica snorted at her, only causing Taeyeon's smile to grow wider. Silence fell upon the two of them again, only the sounds of their light breathing were audible around the quiet apartment.

"So.." Taeyeon began, not being able to remain in the deafening silence any longer. "How have you been feeling lately?"

"Do you really have to ask?" Jessica sighs. "Same old same old. It's still the same even if three hundred and sixty five days have passed already." It was evident on her face that there was still pain and grief. Taeyeon's heart clenched at the sight of it. 

"Sica.."

"Taengoo, I know you're worried about me." Jessica slowly sat up and faced Taeyeon with glassy eyes. She smiled while placing her hand on top of Taeyeon's cold one. "But I assure now, I'm fine. I'm a big girl. You don't have to bother to look out for me like this." 

"Sica--"

"Please Taeyeon." Jessica's voice was strained and it was obvious that she was trying her best to hold herself back from tears. "You've always been there for me. And I've done nothing but to push you away. I don't deserve your worries, I don't deserve your tender care and affection." And she started to break down, warm tears pouring out from her eyes. Jessica buried her face into the palms of her hands. "I don't deserve anything from you."

Taeyeon was the type who never usually gives into her emotions. 

But seeing Jessica, the person whom she'd been friends with since elementary school, in this kind of state, Taeyeon gave her tears the full permission to flow down to her cheeks. She said nothing as she opened her arms and engulfed the younger girl into it, allowing Jessica to bury her face against the crook of her neck.

"Shh." Taeyeon hushed, trying to calm both Jessica and herself down. "It's okay. Everything's gonna be okay."

Jessica sniffed and sobbed all throughout while possesively clinging onto Taeyeon. For the rest of the night they stayed that way. Eventually Jessica's crying had stopped and she had fallen asleep in her friend's arms. But as Jessica leaves the world of reality and enters the world of dreams, she knew she was going to have to face the flashbacks of the memories which she shared with none other than the person she loved the most.

No Taeyeon. Nothing is okay anymore.

 

~O~O~O~O~O~

A/N: Chapter one is done! Please subscribe and comment! :))

I hope you'll enjoy the story as it flows!