Chapter 5

The Artist in Spring

He should leave. He would keep looking at her. He felt guilty, but he hadn’t meant to see her anyway. Why is she being so foolish as to be half in the middle of the night in a public place? This is her fault. She could easily get seriously hurt.

She was foolish just like his mom had been…

He knew what he would do. He would honestly look away and just completely not look at her.

Out of respect, of course. He had never wanted to look at anything so much in his life.

He could not leave, though. What if some horrible man came out and tried to hurt her? That jerk would be in a world of surprise when Kris leapt from the bushes and knocked him out and saved her!

“My hero!” she would exclaim, and hug him even though she was in soaking wet underwear. He had just saved her life, after all.

Now he almost kind of wished a ne’er-do-well would emerge so he could have himself a hero moment.

Nah, that would scare her. And it would probably really embarrass the girl to know that Kris had seen her in her underpants.

But that’s the risk she is taking, Kris thought, shaking his head. For all she knows there might be some creep in the bushes watching her right now.

Oh, wait. I’m the creep in the bushes. But he wasn’t watching her anymore. So ha! He was just here for her protection.

One little scream, and he would come charging out…

He glanced back, picturing the rescue again. She was gone.

He felt sad. It was like the moment they shared was over.

Yeah, they shared a moment. Even if she didn’t know about it yet.

She must seriously be in a terrible situation, though. Did she not have clean water?

He had to find a way to help her.

 

 

The next afternoon when Sooyoung arrived home from work, there was a large box on her front porch. The babies were in the car with her because they had all spent the night with Mother at the hospital.

She smiled and looked back at them. Already, their faces were all better. She would definitely go buy water jugs during her lunch break tomorrow for them. She would’ve bought them today, but, after being up all night, she was too weak to carry heavy water jugs.

The kids were really excited to see a package on the porch. “Open it! Open it!” they cried.

Sooyoung removed the tape and took the packaging out. She couldn’t believe it.

It was eight gallon jugs of fresh water and a water purification system.

At the bottom of the box was a little envelope. The outside said simply, “Sooyoung.”

She opened the letter. It was written in what appeared to be a man’s handwriting, but it was written very neatly. The letter only had one line: “Dear Angel, I hope this meets your needs.”

She immediately began tearing up. Thank you, God, she prayed, for kind people in this world.

Who knew about my secret? She gasped. Luhan was the only one she had told about the water being off. Her neighbors knew, but this wasn’t their handwriting, and, besides, they couldn’t afford this expensive water purifier. It was Luhan; she knew it.

“Who is it from, sissy? Who is it from?” Hoki chanted.

Sooyoung smiled. “A guardian angel.”

Luhan had helped her in her time of need. She felt a sudden warmth in her heart.