Chapter 4

Headstrong {HIATUS}

Narrator's POV

Jongin smirked, even after the woman had slammed the door in front of his face. Chunji, standing from the rooftop across, shook his head in disbelief. Seeing the man still standing in the same position, "I'm sorry about her. She's just..." Chunji tried, scratching the back of his head. "Sometimes she's quite violent."

Jongin, in turn, just snorted. "Obviously." And he turned to where Chunji was. "You live right next to each other?"

The other nodded, rubbing the back of his neck. "Obviously," Chunji muttered.

Jongin shifted his attention to the door in front of his face. He knocked. "Babe! Let me in!"

"Go away!" Chunji heard Kyungjin loud and clear.

From where he was standing, he could see the mischievous expression on the man's face. "Isn't she cute?" Jongin turned to him and asked. The other just shrugged, unconvinced. He scratched his head, somehow irritated that this situation would disturb his slumber. "Wait, can I, like, get a drink?" Jongin tried.

Chunji gave him one up and down look before finally nodding. "So you go down the stairs and to your right, there would be another..." he paused in the middle of explaining the way to his rooftop. Jongin had already jumped the distance from the other building to his. "...flight of stairs," he finished. "Of course you could do that."

He stepped back and opened the door while gesturing for Jongin to enter first being his guest. "Hey, just because I was your headquarters' tenant for a day doesn't mean I would go around stealing your stuff, alright?" Jongin explained first hand. "I mean, even Kyungjin let me in her house without being suspicious."

In surprise, Chunji had let the door slam back against the frame loudly. "You've been inside her house?"

Jongin nodded, eyeing the various framed pictures decorating the walls. "I helped her clean the place up and then she sent me out. I don't know. Sometimes, I think she's cursed to suffer through PMS for everyday of her beautiful life or whatever. But then again, all women seem to be like that, so no surprise there."

As his unexpected visitor spoke, Chunji already made his way to the kitchen and poured out drinks for the both of them. He chuckled. "What do you know about PMS?" he pressed, intrigued. He handed him the glass and they both sat down.

"I have two sisters, Chunji. And believe me, it's cute and fun to have sisters if they're younger. But if they're older..." Jongin shuddered at the thought and gulped down some water. "Anyway, when I went inside, her phone began ringing – it turned out to be her father. And – not to seem judgmental or whatnot – but from the tone of her voice, it seemed like she wanted to hang up as quickly as possible and never talk to him again."

"It's not like that," Chunji quickly retorted, although his defense had no firsthand proof. All he had as evidence were nearly five years of close observations. He just couldn't bring himself to ask Kyungjin further than if she liked more milk in her coffee or if she liked the weather. "But it's not like her father's her biggest hero either."

He settled further and more comfortably in his seat. Leaning back on the headrest, Chunji closed his eyes as images of the girl flashed behind his eyelids. "I know it'll be silly and confusing to say that a person is more than a person – but Kyungjin is. She does everything at her utmost best, whether it is as simple as signing papers or as complex and complicated as shooting at suspects."

Jongin, on the other hand, looked down at his drink. The moisture from the cold water trickled along the surface of the glass, on which he drew shapes as he listened attentively.

"She's the kind of person who's not contented about being the best," Chunji continued. "Somehow, someway, she would always better her best and I think it's because overall, Kyungjin is larger than life. And anything larger than herself, well, she runs for it. Runs towards it, not away from it."

"But it's nothing to her, that fear. She wasn't one for feelings, and maybe talking to her parents brought out those emotions she used to have, that's why she pushes them away," Chunji concluded. "Ever since her parents' separation and eventual divorce, she never really cared for anything – well, except for her long, brown hair, presumably because she could do anything with it – twist it, tie it, pile it all up, or cut it – and feel absolutely nothing."

Suddenly, Jongin smacked his palms together and stood up. "Challenge accepted!" he exclaimed, almost shouting. He turned to Chunji. "Thanks for the drink and the little chit chat but I have to get going," he stated with a sly smile. Then he walked out the door without looking back, leaving Chunji to grieve over the biggest mistake of his life so far.

That afternoon, as Minsoo commented how inappropriate and misleading the title of the movie Mission Impossible is – since, he reasoned out, the missions are totally possible by the end of the film. At this – almost miraculously – Kyungjin laughed, not without smacking his head afterwards and telling him to go back to work.

The glass doors opened, revealing Jongin. And he went straight to Kyungjin's desk and tapped on the table to call her attention. She did look up, eventually. The first blink was of awe, and then the woman looked back down, resuming paperwork. "This is not the table for complainants." And she gestured to the front desk, where Minsoo had his feet up.

Jongin snorted, placing the paper bag of food atop her table. "I'm not here to complain."

"Then the door is wide open for you to leave now," Kyungjin replied, still not looking up.

The man sighed. "I was here to visit you and I brought you food because I thought you hadn't eaten yet or something."

Finally, she looked up. "Despite you looking as if you just jumped out of a fashion magazine or whatever..." She gave him one last head-to-toe look, giving in to the fact that he does look attractive. "This headquarter is still a place for work and not for visiting. So if your only purpose was to come and see me, then you can leave now."

Stubborn and defiant, Jongin crossed his arms over his chest and leaned against the table. "I'm not leaving until you go out with me."

In just a few words, the entire place quieted down. And Kyungjin knew now how Armageddon went down in the police headquarters as almost everyone hooted and whistled together with the eruption of thankful murmurs that Detective Yeo wasn't lesbian, that Detective Yeo won't grow old alone, and that Detective Yeo should said yes.

She groaned and stood up. Just as she was about to yank Jongin by his ear and drag him out of the place, another door opened. "What is the meaning of this?" Jangsoo asked, slowly approaching the commotion. He quickly turned to Jongin. "What are you doing here? Did you do something again?"

The man in question shook his head on quickly. "Ani, I was just asking her to go out with me."

"Well, I don't tole– Wait, did you just say you want to go out with her?" Jangsoo repeated, obviously thrilled. When the younger nodded, his face spread into an all out grin. "Well, that's good news. Did you know that Kyungjin here..." He put an arm around her shoulders, but she shrugged him off. "...is like a daughter to me?"

"Oh shut up," Kyungjin grumbled. "You hate my guts."

The busted chief superintendent forced out a laugh. "She's cute, isn't she?" he commented, but Jongin knew better than to believe. When he didn't react, Jangsoo stood upright, resuming the authoritative stance. "Well, this is a place for work and not for personal issues. But just so you know, her shift would end in an hour so hang in there tight and wait for her by her car, arasseo?"

Nearly smacking his own forehead for not realizing this sooner, Jongin grinned to himself and was about to bring the food outside together with him, but another hand tugged at the paper bag. "Eh, the food stays," Kyungjin muttered in condition. Nonetheless, Jongin left, as if the happiest man on earth.