Chapter 1

When I Met Them

 

The day started out as a good day. Then it all changed as soon as I got to my new apartment in Seattle. I had bought a three bedroom apartment because I expected to have my room, an office, and a guest room. I didn’t, however, expect there to be a guy. Yes, a guy, in fact the guy who I had enough posters of that it was impossible to see my bedroom walls. Under these circumstances, I was completely shocked to find Nichkun, a lead singer in my favorite Korean boy band, 2PM, sitting at my dining-room table, which I had just brought up from my moving van. We just stared at each other for a few seconds until I walked back into the hallway to check the apartment number. It was definitely the apartment I had bought. I was standing in the doorway with a blank look on my face, when I saw the rest of 2PM.

“Uh, why are you in our doorway?” Junsu, the group’s lead singer, asked. It was surprising to hear him talking in English. I had to pinch myself to make sure that I wasn’t dreaming. It hurt. This wasn’t a dream. I knew this was my apartment, but I still wasn’t sure I could have such good luck. I checked the apartment number once again.

“This is my apartment…” I choked out. 2PM was laughing, probably with disbelief, but when I said, “I bought this apartment,” they stopped laughing. In fact, they even started to look a little worried. Obviously I couldn’t live together with them, and I wasn’t going home after I had paid $300,000 for this apartment.

“Go inside and we can talk about this,” the leader, Jaebum, said. I walked in, slowly, and put my things down. I only had two suitcases at the time because I still had to bring my boxes up from my moving van.  We all sat on the floor because none of us had brought up a couch.

“Okay, why don’t we all introduce ourselves? I’m Taecyeon,” said the lead rapper. I had to pinch myself again. I still couldn’t believe this was actually happening. All of the other members were introducing themselves, but I already knew their names. The lead singer is Junsu; the sub-vocals are Nichkun and Wooyoung; the lead dancer is Junho, who also sings; the lead rapper is Taecyeon; the maknae is Chansung, but he also raps; and the leader is Jaebum.

“I’m Kari,” I said quietly. Normally, I would be very outgoing, but the situation was completely different then. I was with idols. Not just any Justin Beiber or Miley Cyrus, either. These were my favorite Korean idols that I had been a super-fan of since their debut.

“Ugh, it’s too quiet in here,” Wooyoung said. “Does anyone have their speakers?”

“I have some,” I replied. Wooyoung looked a little unsure if this was a wise music choice as I took out my black speakers covered with random stickers. I put on my K-pop playlist, but I was still a little embarrassed because the first song that came on was 2PM’s Only You.

“So, you already knew us? That’s cute,” Wooyoung said. I blushed, thinking of all of my Nichkhun posters. There was no way I could live with them. We had a random conversation about when had I gotten into Korean pop, had I seen any variety shows, which 2PM member was my favorite, did I speak Korean (I did), and what dramas had I seen? Then, I brought up what was actually important.

“How did this happen? I swear I paid for this apartment. It wasn’t cheap either. So, why are you guys here?” I asked.

“Well, we paid a lot too. We both own this place. Why don’t we all just try to live together until someone can find a new apartment?” Nichkun suggested, smiling cutely. Also, I am not 100% sure this actually happened, but I think he winked at me. Every Khun fan dreams of getting a wink from him because it is the most amazing thing to ever get from an idol.

“Alright…” I said in Korean. I figured I should get used to talking in Korean since it would probably become the normal thing for a while. Everyone stood up and I checked the time. Four fifty-five?? I was going to be late to my job briefing! “AH! I have to leave! Don’t touch my stuff while I am gone!” I yelled to the members who went off to do their own thing. Junsu looked like he wanted to say something, but I was already running around collecting things I might need. Then, I ran out in a hurry.

Luckily, I have no idea how; I made it to work on time. What was my job? Well, let me just say it was an unexpected turnout. I would be making the logos for 2PM’s new idol show.

This was going to be the most uncomfortable job. How could I be living with them and have them as my co-workers? What cosmic force planned this ridiculous turn of events? I half listened to my boss explaining the rules I had to follow when 2PM was here. I was so overwhelmed by the shock of the day’s shock that I had trouble focusing.

I was walking back to my office when my boss said, “Kari, I forgot to tell you, 2PM is coming today. They should be here in about five minutes. So go get ready!”

“Sounds good,” I said. “Where am I meeting them?”

“Conference room,” she explained.

I guess that made sense. I continued back to my office to set up my laptop. That’s right. I have an office. In my first year of college, I interned for this company via the internet. Over the summer, I visited the office in Seattle to get acquainted with it. During the next three years of college, I actually had a job there, but it was just designing small stuff. The past summer, I had received a promotion. That is why I got an office. XD

I wasn’t surprised that I heard 2PM before I saw them. They were singing my favorite song, 10 out of 10, which was their debut song. I went to my desk to get a notebook and a pen. Then, I went to the conference room.

The location of the conference room must have changed since I was there because where it was originally; there were only bathroom stalls and the kitchen. -_- This made me feel a little bit stupid. I walked back to the main office, where I ran into the boss.

“Why are you leaving them to wait for so long?” she asked me with an accusing look.

“Did the location of the conference room change in the past three years?” I asked.

“Aha, I see. Well come with me. Luckily, I told them you are new to the office and might get lost.”

The boss practically pushed me into the room and I tripped over the threshold. Each guy was wearing a different expression. They all looked at each other, and at me, and then burst out laughing.

“Hey, Kari! We totally should have given you a ride!” Khun said.

“Really… I tried to tell you we were leaving… I bet our manager-hyung planned this”, Junsu said.

After that, we got to discussing what they wanted their logo to look like. It didn’t take too long to figure it out. They wanted to have red and yellow stripes and a big, navy 2PM in the background. The seven members would be in the foreground towards the bottom and the whole thing would look like it was painted on.

“Alright guys, I’ll be home around eight. Don’t forget to eat dinner!” I said after we had finished discussing the logo. I had to remind them to eat because I was worried they would get too wrapped up in unpacking.

They were really loud as they left. They shouted, “Okay!” and “We will, you eat, too!” and stuff like that. Chansung, that weird guy, said, “Woo hoo! Now we will have a mom at home!” I glared at him. Then everybody, including myself, was laughing again. This wasn’t the only weird nonsense these boys tried to pull before they left. As everyone was leaving the room, Nichkhun sort of tried to wrap his arm around my shoulders. I was shocked and a little bit embarrassed and, luckily, Wooyoung pushed Khun through the door and smiled at me before my heart started beating too fast.

After I saw them off, I returned to my office where I finished setting up my things and got to work on the logo. Trying to get the logo to look right was tiresome and I was relieved to return to my new apartment and unpack. When I opened the door, it was quite a shock to find the place as disastrous as it was. The only neat part of the apartment was my things. The boys had brought all my boxes up and my couch, but they clearly hadn’t been very curious. The boxes appeared untouched. However, that didn’t make up for everything else. Music was blasting out of a large stereo system; clothes and boxes were scattered about; people were yelling over the music; and Taecyeon and Chansung were in the midst of destroying the kitchen in the attempt to make breakfast for dinner. I was extremely grateful towards Jaebum and Junho, who were running around, frantically trying to get the right boxes and clothes into the right rooms.

“Where are Khun, Wooyoung, and Junsu?” I asked, being my curious self.

“They were sent to get some more food,” Taec explained, attempting to fry the bacon, but failing. As he tried to put it on a plate, it flopped off of the spatula and onto the floor. -_- He sighed. “I am sorry, but you are probably going to have to share a room with one of them.”

“I see…” I responded, still so shocked by the mess I hadn’t fully comprehended that I would have to share a room with someone. I brought my stuff to my room and unpacked my backpack. Then, I went back to try to undo the disaster that was our kitchen. When I finished, Khun, Wooyoung, and Junsu came back in with the food, which created a whole other mess to take care of. So, the members went to unpack their things while I put away the groceries and keep an eye on the food that was still cooking.

“Thanks Kari. As a warning, Khun was chosen to be your roommate,” Taec explained. “You can go unpack now.” I was so tired that I didn’t even listen to him fully. That’s why, when I walked into my room, I yelped a little bit. Khun was in there already. I didn’t know how I would possibly make it through this. I guess I understood that I would have to live with the boys for a while, but I didn’t really think that I would be sharing a room with one of them.

“Hey Khun, I guess we are sharing a room,” I said.

I was strongly hoping that he would do the nice guy thing and say, “Oh no! That can’t be!” but instead he said, “I guess so. I will make a path. One sec.”

I got the bed and dresser on the right by the window. I had been stuck by the window ever since I was little. I wasn’t really upset, but I had wanted the other one. I made my bed with my favorite homemade quilt. The first full box I opened contained all of my dishes, silverware, and pots and pans. -_- How fun. That was exactly what I wanted to open… I went to put them in the kitchen anyway. The second box, however, made me wish it had silverware in it. I dropped it as soon as I saw the word POSTERS 1 written on it. In that box were all of my K-pop posters. Some of them had groups like U-KISS or SHINee, but most were 2PM and of those, most were Nichkun. There was no way he could see those. He heard the crash, though, and looked over at me like, “What the heck???” and I didn’t really know what to do, so I just smiled awkwardly.

“Do you need some help?” he asked me.

“NO! I mean… no. It’s fine. I’ll–” in the middle of my sentence, Chansung came in to tell us that dinner was ready. “I will be out in a bit. I just need to find something.” Quickly, I stowed that box under my bed and began searching for the other. It took a little longer than I had planned because the boxes almost toppled over one time, and I had to save them. But finally, I found the box and shoved it under my bed with the other one.

I was so tired when it was time for bed, but I still had trouble sleeping. Most likely from the fact that I was now living with seven of my favorite idols; one of whom I was sharing a room with. Eventually I did fall asleep though. I had a really strange dream that I was dressed as a man on some Korean variety show and I was the main MC. 2PM was in it, too, but they were dressed up as girls. Weird…

Anyway, the next morning, I woke up to the sun shining on my face. I didn’t have to be to work until ten o’clock that morning. I woke up peacefully because I didn’t bother to set my alarm. I had never woken up past nine in my life. I got out of bed, stretched, and started to look for something to wear. Then I realized I had fallen into my old habits. I was used to sleeping in my bra and underwear. Since I had grown up with just my mom and my sister, until I had gone to my all-girls college, nobody had ever really cared. I must have been so tired last night that I didn’t bother to put on any pajamas! Realizing this, I quickly grabbed a blanket and some clothes, and ran to the bathroom.

I took my time doing my hair and make-up since I had extra time, but when I walked out of the bathroom, all of 2PM was standing there, in their boxers, arms crossed with an annoyed look on their face. They should come with a warning label. It would be something like: WARNING: WOMEN WITH HEART CONDITIONS SHOULD NOT LOOK DIRECTLY AT 2PM. They each had an amazing set of honey-muscles and chocolate abs! ^^

“Aish… Kari! Use your own bathroom! That’s ours!” Taec shouted at me.

“Yeah! Get some pajamas too! I don’t need to see you... every morning…” Khun said, blushing, making me blush, too.

“Tch! Khun-hyung, don’t lie! You really liked what you saw this morning, didn’t you?” Chansung accused. All the other guys laughed hysterically at that.

I just shook my head and walked to the cupboard to grab a Pop-tart. “What do you guys plan to do today?” I asked.

“Most likely, we’ll do nothing.” Junho said. “Maybe, we will visit you at work to see how our logo is looking.”

“Hmm… that would be nice. Why don’t you clean up instead?” I requested. They agreed unhappily before I headed off to work, which started as boring as ever.

The taxi ride to work was sort of strange. The driver was crazy. He was talking on his phone the whole time about how he won a ton of money in Las Vegas. That was clearly a lie, considering he was still driving a taxi. That obnoxious guy was the reason I was, for the first time in my life, excited to arrive at my work. I had been thinking about the logo for a while, and decided to make several different versions of the logo. This idea is what made me get started as soon as I entered my office. I iTunes and got to work.

When it was time for my lunch break, I had finished the logo that I had started the day before along with another. I had even started a third! Surprisingly, I was really focused that day. I stood up and as I was getting my coat, I thought of something. I scribbled a note on the spare piece of paper on my desk. It said: Individual logos? I had thought that fans might enjoy something like individual logos. That way, if they didn’t want the entire group as the background on their computer, they could have just their favorite member. I walked over to my door satisfied with that idea. Just as I was about to turn the handle, someone knocked on the door. (o.O) Who could that be? I thought. It was Khun and Wooyoung!

“We are taking you to lunch!” declared Wooyoung. “Um… Where is the bathroom?”

“Down the hall and to the left,” I explained. Then, I took the flowers and vase and went to fill them up. It didn’t take very long, but apparently it was too long for Khun. He was inspecting my computer when I returned. -_-

I set down the flowers on top of my mini-fridge and went to see what he was looking at. However, being my usual clumsy self, I tripped over who-knows-what. Nichkhun managed to catch me before I took out my whole desk. I was really uncomfortable and I felt like I was in a Korean drama. When he caught me, 2PM’s Heartbeat began to play on iTunes. This made the whole situation really awkward. I had fallen so that my head was on his chest and his arm was wrapped around me. The fact that the part of Heartbeat when Khun says, “Can you feel my heart beat?” played did not make the situation any less awkward.

I jumped back saying, “So, what were you looking at?” Then, I walked briskly to my desk. Khun had pulled up the logo that I had just started. “What do you think? I just started this before my break.”

“Wow, really? I thought it was finished,” he replied, shocked.

“Alright, let’s go!” Wooyoung exclaimed as he returned. It was such a fun lunch. We decided to get sushi since none of us had gotten any recently. It was the best sushi I had ever eaten and I even learned how to use chopsticks from Wooyoung! I went back to work to finish my logo. I am not sure if I really knew at the time, but Heartbeat had been stuck on repeat for the rest of the day.


Hey Readers!

Thanks for reading my story. XD

Sorry my first chapter is really boring.... It's mostly just for an introduction. :)

It is also pretty long, but they will all be like that.

Hehe, ENJOY!