The Blood Moon and the Attack

A Created Wretch: The One Fascinated with Fire

A/N: Thanks for the comments! Enjoy!

Warning: There is some mention of violence and blood-sharing, you know, vampire stuff - but nothing detailed.

*

                Dusting the snow from his clothes as he came to stand at full attention, Wooyoung sighed angrily. “Why can’t I just succumb to my pain in peace?” He sighed in annoyance. ~Junho?~

                ~Yes?~

                ~An emergency meeting has been called. Lock down the manor. You and the others will be meeting me at Nichkhun’s mansion. There are some books I want you to bring as well, if you would be so kind.~ He drew a small rune in the snow.

                ~Which books?~

                ~Those which reference the Blood Moon. They are all in my private study in the Central Wing.~

                ~Alright. Your energy is off, are you alright?~

                Wooyoung crouched and focused his energy. ~We only have an hour my dear mage. Be vigilant and quick.~

                ~Yes.~

                Wooyoung released his pent up energy and vanished in a flurry of snow. Opening his eyes, he found Nichkhun eyeing him warily. In his hands were a cloak and a pair of shoes. “It’s winter Wooyoung, please dress accordingly...”

                Without warning his hand shot out and gripped Nichkhun’s neck. “I truly am not in the best of moods this fine evening, beloved First, do act in accordance with that.” His warning was met with a silent nod. He took the cloak and shoes. “I have a bad feeling.” He said as he finally felt content with his dress. Nichkhun made to reach up to his neck, but Wooyoung tugged him close and kissed his neck.

                “I’m fine.” Nichkhun whimpered.

                without piercing Nichkhun’s supple skin, he held him close. “It’s that time...” He whispered in his ear. Nichkhun’s arms came to embrace him tightly. “Will you be so kind as to bring me some tea, my dear Nichkhun?”

                “Yes...” Wooyoung however kept him close and continued his lavish attention to Nichkhun’s neck. “Wooyoung...you’re forgiven already...” Nichkhun mused quietly, but he did not relent. He needed to indulge in him, make Nichkhun feel better. His emotions were in chaos and his mental state collapsing.The feelings of unease and displacement slowly began to fade away. “The others will arrive soon, Wooyoung.” He was warned but he did not stop. No. They both needed this.

                The image of the red moon was ingrained into his mind now. It did not mean good things.

                *

                Chansung waited for everyone to be ready. Junho had to collect some books and a few of Wooyoung’s journals. Taecyeon tapped his foot impatiently, he never liked being out of the loop. Things were different, that much Chansung was sure of. He always knew Wooyoung wandered, sometimes he himself was the cause of those wanderings. However, in the past, it was usually to acquire someone or something, but for many weeks now Wooyoung would vanish. Sometimes he was gone just a few hours, or more worryingly for a few days. Each time he returned he seemed more and more closed off and had a completely different aura about him. Now that they were on lockdown, Chansung couldn’t help but feel suspicious. It wasn’t only for that reason. He couldn’t remember the last time they shared any intimate moments, both companionable silence or pleasure.

                A very silent and uneasy Junho finally appeared and nodded to him. He wore a dazed expression. Chansung reached out to them both and they took his hands.

                “Before we leave...” Taecyeon started. “Does anyone have any idea what is going on?”

                Chansung looked to Junho who had relayed the message. “He asked me to bring his books and stuff on something called the ‘Blood Moon’.” He said softly. “I don’t know why...”

                “It’s been on my mind for a while now...how he has been acting.” Chansung offered. “It's actually been worrying me. I’ve never seen him act how he has before now. I just have this feeling it relates to the current situation.”

                “We don’t have much time.” Junho reminded. “I don’t want to be on his bad side.”

                Chansung smiled. “He would never hurt you, Junho.”

                Junho smiled at him. “We don’t really know who Wooyoung is.”

                The statement left Chansung silent. He gripped their hands unintentionally. Something about those words really hurt him, but, what hurt more was the fact that Chansung knew Junho was right. Even after over 200 years, he still had no idea who Wooyoung truly was.

                “Chansung.” Taecyeon urged and tugged at his arm.

                “Sorry...” Within seconds they were inside Nichkhun’s library. Wooyoung was seated with a sparse amount of books and a cup of tea before him. Chansung noticed Nichkhun seated with work documents off to the side. “How much time is left?”

                Wooyoung checked his watch. “Don’t worry. I’m always late for Council calls.”

                “You shouldn’t be late for this one.” Nichkhun grumbled.

                Wooyoung rolled his eyes. Junho walked forward and set the books and journals onto the table. “Oh, thank you Junho.” Wooyoung took one with blue binding. “You didn’t have to bring them all.”

                “You weren’t very specific.” Junho whined.

                “Wooyoung, any one of us would have brought all of the books.” Chansung sniped.

                “Yes, I suppose so.”

                “What’s going on?” Taecyeon asked without hesitation. He was the only one that remained standing. Wooyoung had set down the book and looked at them all.

                “Well,” he said as he drifted over to the window, “nothing good.” It was something Chansung had noticed that Wooyoung started to do the past little while, gazing into the distance. It was an odd behaviour, but spoke nothing of what Wooyoung was actually doing. “When I was really young...I never got to see snow.” He whispered, surprising him. “It was only ever sand and woodland...” Wooyoung turned to them. “I realise I have been acting very distant with all of you, some more than others.” He received nods. Chansung held back the urge to voice his feelings on the matter. “I’ve had a lot weighing on my mind, and now with the recent attack on the Solar clan I expect things to become very dangerous.” He received confusing looks. Chansung found his gaze flew between him and Junho. “Tell me, in all the books that you have read, in all the magic lore that you have researched, have you ever heard of the Blood Moon?”

                Chansung shook his head, and Junho shrugged. Chansung had to admit he was surprised Junho responded negatively. “Why do you have so much on the Blood Moon?” Chansung asked, indicating to the literature. “And, how have I never seen it?”

                Wooyoung pressed his index fingers to the bridge of his nose. Chansung was sure if he was human he’d have a migraine right now. “I really do not have any patience this night.” His demeanour had completely changed. “I will only ask it of you four once to please not show me any contentious attitude this evening.”

                “A mirrored reflection of the moon appears in the sky thirty days before it is fully bloomed.” Junho explained with a deep sigh. “All throughout the thirty days blood must be spilt. On the thirty-first day when the Blood Moon is full and outshines the Full Moon, sacrifices are made in its honour and the curse of immortality is undone. That is all I have come across in my studies.”

                “Thank you, my little mage.” He said. “Now, Chansung, the reason I have never let any of you touch the books is because you should never have had to.”

                Hesitantly, Chansung finally did nod, but remained cautious.

                “The Blood Moon, or ‘Red Hunter's Moon’, aptly named because of the blood it requires to begin, is a ritual that was created to undo immortality.” Wooyoung added. “The reason I had Junho bring the books here, is because I want you to read them here, away from the manor.” None of them hid their surprise. Wooyoung continued on before any of them could ask questions. “One hundred lives or more must be offered, and no less than 100. The purpose of this ritual is to draw out the immortals and trap them. Because, on that one night, you will all be human again.”

                “Why are you telling us this?” Taecyeon wondered, voice quiet.

                “The Blood Moon has appeared.”

                Chansung did not hide his shock. A million thoughts raced through his mind. Why was it only them that would be human? Why didn’t Wooyoung include himself? Nichkhun had lowered his head seemingly at a loss for words.

                “I had only told Nichkhun about this ritual once. Although I had also assured it would not happen until much later in his lifetime, I still recommended he be ready for when it appeared.” Wooyoung said as he finally retook his seat. He was apart of them. Chansung felt as if he was drifting further and further away.

                “Now I understand what you meant...” Nichkhun mumbled.

                “The thing about the Blood Moon is, is that it amplifies the strength of a particular immortal. This is because it was created by them. If my theory is right, and I will only confirm after the meeting, I will be asking all of you to prepare yourselves to hide. I may even disconnect myself from all of you completely.”

                Chansung didn’t know why but he thought that was really extreme. Wooyoung at least seemed completely distraught by the idea. Well, that is what Chansung was hoping he was reading from his expression. “What do you mean by that?” He finally asked.

                Wooyoung’s gaze met his own. Chansung didn’t know what he felt, but he didn’t like it. “I will negate our bonds.”

                A deafening silence fell over the room.

                Junho rose first. “No! Are you crazy?! Who are these immortals and why do you fear them so much?”

                Wooyoung’s whole body went tense and the room dropped several degrees.

                “Wooyoung, Wooyoung wait-” Nichkhun had also risen.

                Wooyoung took some deep breaths. “I cannot tell you how painful it is to even suggest breaking the bonds. The very action could kill me, Junho. You should know the gravity of these words better than anyone else here. So, you should take into account how serious the situation is by my considering it an option.” Wooyoung was staring at the mage with ferocious intensity. “Who they are...their organisation is almost as old as I am. They found me in that wretched desert-” Wooyoung ceased immediately. “They will come from all over the world seeking to overtake the Council. The fact they took down two clan leaders is worrisome. While it has happened in the past, it was on the battlefied and the Immortals Council was aware of their movements. This time we weren't, or at least I was not. So, until I find out exactly the the hell is going on, you are not safe.” He explained and adjusted himself in his chair so that he could stretch out his legs. “I had hoped that you all would be ready by the time this came, but you are not.”

                “What do you mean?” Taecyeon asked in disbelief.

                “I can’t explain it at the moment. And...Nichkhun and I really need to attend the meeting. So, if you would all be so kind, I would much rather carry on this conversation when Changmin is around.” He got to his feet and they each rose in turn. “Nichkhun, please prepare for departure.” Nichkhun left reluctantly. Wooyoung had adjusted his cloak and looked at each of them in turn. “You must understand what lengths I would go to protect you.”

                Chansung lowered his head. He didn’t want Wooyoung to sacrifice himself for their safety. If he disappeared or was killed, Chansung wouldn’t hesitate to follow. “We said we would help you,” he finally murmured.

                Wooyoung shook his head. “Not against this enemy. You are not ready – and please....do not argue with me on this. You would be able to hold them off for a while, yes, but their techniques are specifically geared to kill immortals, especially vampires, and I mistakenly did not teach you how to deal with them. I fear I've let us live too relaxed these past few decades.”

                “Then what are we supposed to do? Wait and watch what unfolds?” Taecyeon growled in irritation. Wooyoung smiled softly. “Wooyoung...you can’t always fight alone. We promised you we would be there.” Wooyoung came to stand before the youngest. Chansung watched him reach up, his touch was so delicate.

                “I know, and it’s those kinds of declarations and feelings which give me power.” Wooyoung walked past him and headed towards the door. “Ah, wait, Junho, I also want you to debrief Taecyeon about the Old Forest.” Taecyeon sent him a confused look. “I will be sending you both on a mission that way.”

                “Okay...” Junho said as he crossed his arms.

                “There are things there which I request that you two retrieve, and they will be items of the utmost importance.” He had opened the door. “When I return I will go into the details, but in the meantime tell him about the environment and the things he may and will encounter.”

                Junho looked at him for a long time. He consented quietly, “yes...master.”

                “That’s my mage.”

                And without another word, Wooyoung vanished out the door. Chansung turned back to the table and looked over the books. “We have a lot to go through.” He said softly. “We better get started.” The other two followed suit but the heavy feelings weighed over them. Chansung was not included in the venture for whatever reason, and he couldn’t deny that it made him unhappy. Wooyoung did want them to help, but not from him. Why? “I want to prove to him that we can be the support he needs.”

                *

                Upon arrival to their destination, the revolting smell of rotting flesh filled the air. Pulling Nichkhun along with him they came to the main meeting hall. Wooyoung released his First’s hand and walked to the table. Nichkhun took his position beside other subordinate members along the wall. Nostrils flaring as he neared an empty chair he looked over the mutilated remains. “Please answer me why what remains of them is on the table? The stench has made me regret my decision to attend.” He grumbled as he sat himself between Marigold and Sano. Marigold, seer and leader of the Fortune clan, snickered and gripped his elbow comfortingly. No one else compared to her beauty or her red curls or her undying, fiery spirit. Sano was the second-in-command in the Luna clan. They had history. He bowed his head in greeting which Wooyoung reluctantly returned.

                The elders sat before them, faces barely hidden by their dark cloaks. “Because you mindless dolt we can read signs and markings from their entrails.” Turina, the grand elder, grumbled. She was a mage-vampire, one of the oldest actually.

                “We thank you for joining us at this time, Wooyoung. I for one find your putrid humour amusing and much appreciate it.” Harowen, the eldest said with a snort.

                Wooyoung couldn’t resist grinning, but it faded within seconds. “What the hell happened? I was enjoying myself freezing my feet off.”

                With some snickers, which Harowen ignored blatantly, another clan leader filled him in on the details. “The Solar Clan leaders were in their estate. They had sent warnings about intruders and that if they required back up they would send word. After thirty minutes, without hearing from them, members of the Titan clan were sent in to investigate.” The man gestured to the remains laid out on the table. “These are all that remain. The blood told the remainder of the story. Only one item which alluded to the culprits was recovered.”

                Turina shot up something into the air. The item landed before him, embedding itself into the table. A silver handled dagger. He backed up immediately upon recognising it, and hissed, “It can’t be them!” He had hoped his theories were not right.

                “We are sure it is them, Jang.” Turina said confidently. “There have been incidences reported in every country, and they are on the rise. Without any warning as to their uprising, they have attacked and killed two clan leaders. You understand how troubling this is...”

                “The message is clear, leaders.” The eldest said. Harowen’s expression darkened. “The Hunters have recuperated, and we must ready for war once more - and quickly.”

                Wooyoung avoided his seat and the dagger. His fangs itched, and his body went rigid with anger. Oh he wanted something to beat the snot out of, yes he did. Perhaps that is what he had been missing. But then again, he didn’t want to fight. 

                “We give you three leaders this assignment: track down the Hunters and eradicate them.”

                Wooyoung shook his head. “Absolutely not...”

                “You dare dismiss an order, Astrum leader?” Harowen asked.

                Sano chuckled. “She knew you would act this way.” He said and indicated to Marigold.

                Marigold rose to her feet and grabbed his wrist. “Wooyoung, I know you wish not to face them again, but no one else has more knowledge of the Hunters than you do. You were trained in their ways.”

                “You make it seem as if they would not have changed their methods.” He argued.

                “Not by much.” Harowen snipped. Wooyoung sent him an irritated glare, to which the eldest shrugged.

                Marigold persisted further. “I think it is high time you returned to your League duties, Jang. Ever since the incident with Hwang Chansung you’ve been running amuck and neglecting them.” The tight grip bridged on painful.

                “The only reason I escaped last time was my lack of reason. I don’t think anyone wants to try and quell that, again. Besides, my clan is not ready for this.”

                Sano had turned to him with familiar bright green eyes, stern yet pleasant features. Damnit why did he have to look at him? “Jang the coward, doesn’t fit you at all. Since when you do run away? You and I both know that we can fight them. Besides, I really do not think you’re doing your little darklings justice, Wooyoung. We need you in the fight. The Luna clan has been itching to kill.”

                “You don’t need me! You have him, you do not need me!” He roared. ‘Damn your pretentious attitude!’ He thought venomously. Sano always treated him this way. His ears pricked at the sound of fast footsteps. He turned to the door and a heavily injured vampire crashed through it, and onto the floor.

                “Another attack in the west!” He called. "Visual recognition, the Hunters are massing!"

                Sano had gotten to his feet this time and came to stand before him. His black and blue uniform only amplified his commanding aura. As he leaned down, he laced his fingers deep into his hair. Wooyoung fought to keep his composure. He could smell him all over Sano. “It’s been almost 2,000 years since you both first fought them. They have risen every four hundred years since. Coincidence, don’t you think? Always at the times when the madness starts creeping into your mind, always when you need his blood to give you sanity back.” Sano’s hand brushed through his hair, and came to rest on the back of his neck. “They will make it through the war with the Hunters. But...your little darklings will not survive your madness, Wooyoung. I know you've seen that possibility. I do not want that to come true. If you need a reason, do it for them. Keep the balance.”

                For the second time that night Wooyoung’s jaw clenched.

                “Please, I need to heal!” The injured immortal cried. “Their weapons burn!”

                Without warning, the hissing and the pained cries stopped. Wooyoung didn’t flinch. Sano was not called the ‘Silencer’ for no reason. In many ways, he was the real leader of the Luna clan. They were a powerful pair, Wooyoung witnessed this many times, the Wolves of Luna. Sano had turned back to the table and retook his seat without another glance in his direction. The Luna clan were also not designated the most ruthless out of all the clans for nothing either.

                “A decision, leaders?”

                “I will fight, and so will the Luna.” Sano answered without pause.

                “Yes, your actions tonight were more than enough answer, Sano.”

                “I will join as well.” Marigold said with a small sigh. “These boys wouldn’t be able to do much without me.”

                A grave silence fell over the room.

                Wooyoung lowered his head. Again and again, he never had a choice. He truly was made for nothing but destruction and violence. His mind brought him back to the icy landscape, the snow between his toes, the bright stars overhead, the black wolf, but then, it flared with fire. A fire so bright it warmed his body. He clenched his fists tightly and growled low in his throat.

                ~It’s alright, my little monster. I will protect you.~  

                *

                As Wooyoung and Nichkhun made their way to Nichkhun’s manor, Wooyoung’s senses went on high alert. ~Junho, where are you? ~ He asked immediately and pulled Nichkhun into his side.

                ~After we finished with the books we returned to the estate to await your return, why-

                Wooyoung forced Nichkhun to kneel and deflected a dagger. “Come on out!” He demanded. They appeared out of the shadows. Nichkhun rose slowly. Wooyoung snarled in displeasure. “May I ask a civil question?” He asked after he calmed himself.

                A woman walked forth. Her blonde curls bounced with every step. Her blue eyes narrowed upon him, expressing her distaste. “What leech?”

                “My, my, you’re all so young!” He played and counted them. “All...thirty-three of you.”

                The woman’s blade rose.

                Wooyoung’s hands came up in defensive position. “Now, now, miss Hunter. I have some questions for you.”

                “You said only one.”

                “Fair...” When he’d finally worked up enough energy, which he found did not take as long as he assumed it would, he froze them. “But, I don’t think you’ll be moving any time soon. Beloved, turn on the lights please.”

                Nichkhun nodded and did as told.

                Slowly they all appeared, the Hunters all clad in silver and black.

                “Oh, I remember when your uniforms were blue, the red ones were particular ghastly.” He chuckled.

                “Undo your evil magic, leech!” The woman demanded.

                “I think not. I feel quite safe over here with you all frozen over there.” Nichkhun came to stand closer to him. “How did you find this manor?”

                “We were ordered to come here.” She said.

                “By who?”

                “That, leech, is none of your business.”

                “Is he an immortal?”

                She said nothing.

                “Hm...I see. Are you the cause behind the Blood Moon?”

                “It’s the Red Hunter's Moon, you insignificant heresy!”

                “Alright, alright, I apologise. So, Blood Moon, you are behind it then?”

                “Who else?” She said with a smirk. “There are hundreds of us this time.”

                Wooyoung stretched his shoulders and flexed his hands. “Good, we need a bit of a challenge this time 'round.”

                “Who are you?” A man from the back called.

                “Aren’t they educating you on the Vampires, Wolves, and other assorted beings you will be fighting?” He wondered. "If not, you're severely unprepared..."

                “Wooyoung...” Nichkhun muttered.

                “Yes I know...” He said quietly. He had already sensed the ones approaching from behind.

                “We don’t know what you are, but we have been educated.”

                ‘Children...mere children...’ He thought tiredly. “They’ve never told you horror stories about me then.” Wooyoung turned to Nichkhun briefly and said, “I’ll only be a minute.” As soon as he stepped forward, the spell broke. He only had a few minutes before the effects of the freezing wore off. They were not in a good situation. Having someone to protect...well, he learned what it was like when he was fighting the magic folk in the Old Forest. It was scary. He actually feared what might happen. Nichkhun had been a trained fighter when he stumbled upon him, but he did not train him to fight a power specifically geared to destroy him. When he felled the final Hunter he held out his hand to Nichkhun to come towards him. Unexpectedly, a giant weapon crashed through the wall. Nichkhun fell back and Wooyoung paused. ~Junho!~

                ~What’s happening? Your energy is all over the place!~

                ~Prepare the warding of the mansion. I want triple wards that block out anything, most should be under the deep magic. Code mine and Nichkhun’s blood so that we may enter.~

                Wooyoung ran forward. Nichkhun was battling already.

                ~Wooyoung, what’s happening?~

                ~Please, just do as I say and ask questions later.~

                He had already used up some energy for freezing. Keeping still 33 people in his state of mind was not going to happen again. Then, he noticed it drifting across his vision, the black threads. “No, not now!” He ripped through two bodies and turned to Nichkhun. “We need to leave!” His body began to pulse with heat and pain.

                “Right!” Nichkhun made to come after him but a red handled blade embedded itself into his shoulder. Hiz First's eyes opened as he sailed back.

                All sense of reason, place and the world vanished. He was looking through the lens of black threads, insanity. Wooyoung completely lost it. Everything went black, and the rage took over.

*

                Taecyeon paced back and forth. He hadn’t been this nervous or terrified in a long time. Junho finished the last of his verses and remained on the floor. Chansung and Changmin were seated on the stairs along with some of the coven. It was so quiet he could hear the ticks of the grandfather clock in the parlour of the West Wing. Hearing heavy footsteps, Taecyeon felt an odd energy flow over him. The door opened. When a large clawed hand rested against the door frame, Taecyeon slowly edged back.

               “Everyone, return to your rooms this instance!” Changmin ordered. “Now!”

               Taecyeon was frozen in place. He’d never seen a 'werewolf' before. They weren’t technically supposed to call them that. Wooyoung hated it. The Wolves were a different kind of immortal. The black fur shook off rain water, and that’s when Taecyeon noticed Nichkhun in its arm. It couldn’t be. Feeling a hand on his shoulder he turned to Changmin. Slowly he moved with him out of the way. His gaze returned to the Wolf immediately with shock. It was Wooyoung. Wooyoung was that Wolf. He was snarling and eyeing them all warily.

               Taecyeon then realised Junho had remained rooted in his spot. "Junho...you need to get up." Changmin said.

               "I would never show fear to him." Junho snapped. "No matter what form he takes..." Taecyeon gripped Changmin's arm tightly as Wooyoung released a loud howl and faced Junho. "You're home...and you're in pain. Please let us help you." Junho said as he got to his feet. Taecyeon became even more tense as Wooyoung neared the confident mage. But, upon nearing Junho, the fur began to shed and his form crumpled back down to his usual size.

               “Changmin, please...I don’t know how much longer I can hold consciousness...” Wooyoung muttered, leaning Nichkhun against him.

               Changmin moved forwards instantly and captured Nichkhun. Wooyoung began to collapse, but Junho caught him.

               “Wooyoung, Wooyoung, are you alright?” Junho asked quietly, and brushed back his hair. Taecyeon rushed forward and knelt down with them.

               “Your voice...is so good to hear." He said with a smile, but then he gripped him tightly. "Listen...closely, to me.” Wooyoung said, not really seeing. “In my desk, there’s...red book. Page 87, please, save Nichkhun.” Wooyoung lifted up a key which he wore around his neck.

               Junho smiled briefly and took it. He looked up at Changmin who nodded. “Chansung, take Wooyoung to the Central Wing.” He ordered. “Taecyeon-

               "No...need Taecyeon with me." Wooyoung wheezed. "Nichkhun needs his First..."

               Junho eyed them both but recovered quickly. "Chansung, come with us.”

               “Right...” Chansung sent him a look before speeding after them.

               Taecyeon lifted Wooyoung into his arms and watched them go to the entrance of the South Wing. Wooyoung’s eyes followed them until they disappeared. “Who was it, Wooyoung?”

               Wooyoung shook his head and leaned against him tiredly. “Please, need blood...” His voice was shaky, and he had covered his eyes.

               Taecyeon made his way up to the Central wing. Wooyoung began to breathe heavily and had gripped his shirt tightly. When he finally got him into one of the safer rooms, Taecyeon set him down and offered him his wrist. The substitute would not cure whatever was wrong with him. When Wooyoung’s fangs sunk in, Taecyeon felt a sensation he had never felt before. A molten heat ran up his arm. He ran his opposite hand around Wooyoung's neck gently and held him close as he drank heavily. What was going on? What happened out there?