Ribbons and Bows

Ribbons and Bows {Eunhyuk B-day Fic 2011}

 

Um, what is Donghae hyung doing?” Henry asked as he watched the blonde-haired male pace back and forth while muttering to himself.

 

 

He's being an idiot,” Kyuhyun replied.

 

 

Ryeowook appeared beside them. “He forgot that it was Eunhyukkie hyung's birthday today.” When Henry continued to look confused, he added, “He didn't get him a present.”

 

 

W-What am I going to do?” Donghae mumbled repeatedly. There wasn't any time between now and when Eunhyuk came back from his photoshoot to run out a buy a present. “Hyung!” he called out to Sungmin who was watching a show on TV with Zhoumi. “What should I get Hyukkie?”

 

 

The eldest smiled evilly from the couch. “You could always give him your body.”

 

 

Donghae blushed bright pink. “Y-Yah, hyung...”

 

 

It was just a suggestion.”

 

The blonde resumed his frantic pacing. Stupid! Stupid Lee Donghae! he scolded himself in his mind. How could you forget Hyukkie's birthday?

 

 

He stared nervously at the cake baking in the oven, the blue decorations around the dorm, and the gifts hidden out of view. There were even cards from the other members back in Korea and two voice messages from Kangin and Kibum on the phone wishing the dancing machine a happy birthday. Hankyung had also come by as a surprise to see Eunhyuk, but due to his busy schedule had to leave before the party started.

 

 

Donghae ran over to Kyuhyun and jumped on his dongsaeng. “Yah~ Kyuhyun ah~” he whined cutely. “You're a genius. What can I do for Hyukkie's birthday?”

 

 

Lee Donghae,” Sungmin's menacing voice came form across the room. “Get off my boyfriend now.”

 

 

Donghae pouted and climbed down from Kyuhyun and frowned. Ryeowook patted his shoulder. “You'll figure something out, hyung.”

 

 

Better do it fast.” Sungmin turned to Zhoumi and asked, “What time are Hyukkie and Siwon getting back?”

 

 

Zhoumi, being the new leader had memorized everyone's schedule, and replied, “10:00.”

 

It was 9:30. Donghae had only a half an hour to think of something.

 

 

He ran towards his room and shouted, “No one come in!” The door slammed behind him.

 

 

In the meantime, the oven dinged and Ryeowook and Henry went to frost the strawberry cake they had made together for the party.

 

 

Thirty minutes passed and Donghae still hadn't come out of his room. Not too long after that, Zhoumi got a call from Siwon saying that they were almost at the dorm. The other members, minus Donghae, shut off the lights and waited to surprise Eunhyuk.

 

 

The blonde singer was still in his room running around it like a crazy person trying to find anything that Eunhyuk would like. He hadn't packed anything special with him and Eunhyuk had already seen all the gifts given to him by fans, so he couldn't use those.

 

 

Tears had begun to well up in his eyes in frustration. “He's going to hate me,” Donghae whispered.

 

 

Outside, Eunhyuk was beyond grateful to his friends for throwing him a birthday party. He was a little disappointed though that Donghae hadn't come out to greet him. As he ate a piece of the delicious cake, he glanced up at the others who were either standing around the table or in the kitchen.

 

 

Where's Hae?” he asked them.

 

 

The other members exchanged a few looks and Sungmin sighed. “He's in his room.”

 

 

Did I do something to upset him? Why won't he come out?”

 

 

He's being Donghae, hyung,” Kyuhyun said. “Blame his dumb fish mind.”

 

 

Frowning to himself, Eunhyuk stood up and went to go find Donghae. He stood outside the door to his best friend, and lover's, room and knocked.

 

 

W-What do want?”

 

 

Hae, it's me.”

 

 

D-Don't come in!”

 

 

Why?”

 

 

Just because!”

 

 

Eunhyuk opened the door anyway and entered the room.

 

 

Donghae gasped. “No! Don't look!” he shouted. He quickly hid something behind his back. He was covered from head to toe with ribbons and wore a flustered expression on his face.

 

 

What...are you doing?” Eunhyuk asked.

 

I-I-I—” Donghae stammered. The tears returned and he started to cry. “D-Don't hate me, Hyukkie! I forgot today was your birthday and didn't get you a present, so I tried to find you something, but I didn't have anything, and then I made you something really lame and tried to wrap it but I kept ripping the paper and then I couldn't find the right color ribbon and the tape kept getting caught in my hair and then the ribbons kept getting stuck all over me and I'm sorry and I really love you a lot!”

 

 

Donghae gasped for breath when he was done. He sniffled and wiped his tears away, hastily pulling ribbons off his head and shoulders.

 

Eunhyuk smiled softly and sat on the bead next to Donghae and kissed him. “Why would I hate you when you're so adorable, Hae?” He helped Donghae with the rest of the ribbons but tied a blue one around the younger's ring finger.

 

 

You're the only present I want on my birthday. You didn't have to get me anything. All I'll ever need is you.”

 

 

You mean that?” Donghae's glassy eyes stared into Hyukjae's. The older male wiped the rest of the tears away and kissed his forehead.

 

 

Of course I do.” Eunhyuk grinned. “Now what were you hiding from me?”

 

 

N-No, Hyukkie. Don't look at it. It's awful.”

 

 

The latter ignored him and reached around Donghae. When he found the object his lover had been hiding, he couldn't stop the gummy smile from gracing his lips as he looked at the poorly wrapped shoe box.

 

The paper was all different patterns, most likely the left overs from the other members' gifts. Inside was a folded piece of paper at the bottom of the box.

 

 

Eunhyuk pulled it out and opened it. Donghae had drawn a picture of the two of them holding hands inside a big heart. The picture itself looked as if it had been made a 5-year-old. Eunhyuk fought back a laugh.

 

 

It's horrible. I know. You don't have to make fun of me,” Donghae mumbled.

 

 

His boyfriend continued to stare at the picture. Rather, he was staring at the short message written in blue crayon at the bottom.


Lee Hyukjae,
I love you so much!
Happy Birthday!
Your Donghae

 

 

Thank you, baby,” Eunhyuk whispered, obviously touched by Donghae's sincere message. “This is the best present I could ever ask for. I love you too, Hae.”

 

4/3/11